• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Got ambitious and went lower than usual on my squats. Felt something pop. Welp, time to cut leg day short.

giphy.gif

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Anyone have any recommendations on a running/workout shirt preferably with a side pocket for a phone?

The running will be done on treadmill since that is all my ankle can take after the pins and plates in there.

Well, I finally got around to trying one of my pre-injury / break workouts. Based on what I was able to do (and I really gave it everything I had), I haven't been this weak for something like four years.

Bollocks.

I can only hope that I stay injury free for a while so I can work my way out of this mess.

Eeeek! I recently bought knee sleeves and they are working wonders. Maybe check them out?

Hope it’s nothing serious.

Oddly all my knee problems (strains, nothing serious) have happened whilst wearing sleeves. Possibly because I can lift more whilst wearing them than not.

bodybuilding or power lifters i have a question

what should i do after i fail on a certain rep scheme?

for example, i am doing 3x10 compound or accessory exercise, and i reach a weight and continue to fail, even after a long rest period, or even a week later

should i switch to 3x8 and increase the weight for that exercise?

and how often should deloads happen?

i am doing a full body routine

Dawg

Did 60kg squats and 50kg deadlifts today. Think that's close to my limit. Was kinda cool to lift that much.

Bench press was a mess tho. Could barely do 10 again. Couldn't even lift 20. Ended up going to dumbbell corner and just bench pressed 2x5(10kg) there.

I find bench press to be the most difficult. Even with dumbbells the difference in weight is big! I felt really tired after doing bench press with dumbbells, too. Are you supposed to do only 5 reps with dumbbells too?

Dumbbell preas is harder than a barbell press because you have to exert energy just to stabalize them.

If you did squat and dead lift before benching you probably wore yourself out a little, those are the two most draining and demanding lifts.

sphinx

the piano man
had my first leg day in probably a year following a ton of discomfort and consistent pain on my left knee.

the strength loss... holy shit

I used to squat 110 kgs for reps, I took it easy doing 50 kgs 10 reps and my quads where on fire and today my lower body is wrecked with doms.

it's almost like starting from scratch. Oh well enjoy the ride back.

Tuorom

Neo Member
Tried my first 5x5 workout today after 4 months off.

I was pleased I could get 225 lbs on squats but man, I feel so weak.
Easy 135 lbs bench, and 95 lbs OHP.

I think I'll slowly increase my squats by 10 lbs a week, and probably the bench too. OHP is tough so I'll just do 5 lbs.

Oh boy, it's good to be back! Excited for pull dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Love my deads, and there's a turf area in the gym so I can do farmer carries to end my workout, aw yiissssssssssssssssssssssss

Dawg

So, I'm 176lbs. I'd like to get to 190lbs. At my current height (6'3") that seems like a nice goal.

Problem is: eating is the one thing that has always stopped me me from lifting. I don't have a problem with going to the gym three times a week. I do have a problem with eating more.

I mean, eating more doesn't sound too bad but I've always had a small appetite. And I have a very demanding job which makes it really difficult to make time to prepare meals. Eating every 3 hours is next to impossible.

So, like I said earlier in the thread, I am doing GOMAD. Mostly because it's very easy to drink milk. No prep time, almost always have time for it. The only downside is that they only sell 1L bottles here (1 gallon = ~4L) so I have to get tons of bottles at once.

Anyway, even with GOMAD I only manage to get about 3000-3500 calories a day. While I can manage the milk, it reduces my eating habbits to lunch and dinner with little to nothing in between...

Eventually, I will quit GOMAD though... and that's when I will need a replacement that I can maintain daily. Which brought me to shakes. Are they decent replacements for meals? I've seen some recipes where you can basically create 1000-2000 calorie shakes. That would make it a lot easier for me. And since you pick the ingredients for the shake yourself, you can also manage your macros, I guess.

Just wondering if there are people here who mainly get their calories from shakes. I want to be ready since I've heard it's useless going to the gym without having your diet checked out.

Note: before GOMAD I usually only got in like 1500-2000 calories a day. Sometimes less.

Can't go wrong with peanut butter shakes. I have 1 in the morning and 1 before bed.

3 heaped teapsoons PB
1 scoop whey
~ 100g Oats
Milk
Blueberries
Banana

Comes to around 1000 calories. The PB alone comes to ~ 600

Just be careful which brand you buy because some have a shit ton of sugar and/or salt.

Shakes are always the answer for people like you, that, and nuts. You don't have an appetite so you need to be focussing on the most calorie dense foods there are.

...and frankly, suck it up. Same as for someone going in the other direction. If you need to put on weight, well, you're going to have to force yourself to eat. If you want to lose it, then you're going to have to do all you can to stop yourself.

For what it's worth, I do IF and have no problems at all smashing in 4,000kcal in 6 hours when I'm bulking (so no eating every 3 hours here). I hate it, but you do what you have to do.

I'm bulking and i still have to control my appetite, i only need about 3000 calories to gain weight, i could easily eat 5000 calories a day if i just ate until i was full.

This will be much easier if you find foods high in fat. I get a quick 700 calories or more just from mid morning snack of peanuts mixed with dark chocolate almonds.

Tuorom

Neo Member
Just wondering if there are people here who mainly get their calories from shakes.

I remember my brother was using powder called Mutant Mass, and it was something ridiculous like 1000 calories for 4 scoops. It probably isn't very healthy for you but fuck it, you gotta bulk, and there is no such thing as a clean bulk!

Go check out a supplement store and see if they have any kind of bulking stuff.

Or you could try out the good ol'peanut butter sandwich method. Basically just eat a bunch of PB sandwiches between meals, as your snack. Just throwing it out there.

You could make a caloric dense milkshake with PB and avocado and chicken, but it won't taste good. I guarantee it.

vypek

Looking at different calories it looks like it wouldn't take much for me to gain weight from the estimates.

I guess that makes sense cause my weight stays about the same and it turns out that I don't eat that much in calories. Estimates have my TDEE around 2000 so a surplus to gain weight would only require me to have 2200 calories.

Pretty interesting. Seems very low compared to other people here though

I'm bulking and i still have to control my appetite, i only need about 3000 calories to gain weight, i could easily eat 5000 calories a day if i just ate until i was full.

This will be much easier if you find foods high in fat. I get a quick 700 calories or more just from mid morning snack of peanuts mixed with dark chocolate almonds.

This is why I drink oil.

Though, I do tend to get a lot of funny looks at AutoZone.

I remember my brother was using powder called Mutant Mass, and it was something ridiculous like 1000 calories for 4 scoops. It probably isn't very healthy for you but fuck it, you gotta bulk, and there is no such thing as a clean bulk!

That shit is disgusting. To drink enough for 1000 cals it has to either be as thick as custard or you have to dissolve it in a lot of liquid. And there's so much sugar per serving. I was using it but said fuck it and decided to make my own.

Use PB for the base of your calorie dense shakes, there's no need for anything else and it's really good for you.

In all seriousness, what type of oil do you drink? I have a friend who used to take shots of olive oil, but that can't be good, can it?

I don't actually drink oil.

As for your friend, he/she doesn't appear to be crazy or alone.

Weight Loss

An olive oil-enriched diet may facilitate weight loss. A study by Mary M. Flynn and Steven E. Reinert published in the June 2010 issue of “Journal of Women’s Health” studied two groups of women on diets. One group was on a low-fat diet and the other group was on an olive oil-enriched diet. In the olive oil group, 80 percent of participants had a weight loss of at least 5 percent. In the low-fat diet group, only 31 percent of participants had a weight loss of 5 percent. The researchers concluded that a supplement of olive oil to a regularly balanced diet brought about a greater weight loss than the low-fat diet.

Since food preparations vary and olive oil is not always needed, drinking olive oil is one way to ensure that you get your daily olive oil enrichment. Drinking at least 1 tablespoon of olive oil lets you measure exactly how much you consume each day.

Reduces Risk of Heart Disease

Drinking 2 tablespoons of olive oil every day may reduce your risk of heart disease, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Olive oil contains monosaturated fat, which is a heart healthy type of fat. Use olive oil in place of saturated and trans fats, which can increase your risk of heart disease, according to the Harvard School of Public Health. A 2008 study conducted by M.I. Covas and published in the October issue of “Inflammopharmacology” notes that olive oil is effective against oxidative stress, which is linked to several diseases including cardiovascular disease.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/243725-what-are-the-benefits-of-drinking-olive-oil/

Of course, this is just one source.

Tuorom

Neo Member
You don't need to add the chicken. A protein powder would suffice. A shake like that would taste good and not be disgusting.

Yea but it seems he is looking to replace a meal with a shake and I don't consider protein powders to be meal replacement worthy. Protein powders are more supplemental to a meal, and I'd rather eat whole foods.

Plus I think you would get more calories from a chicken breast than a scoop, but really the idea was just a joke. I've tried a chicken breast in a smoothie and the texture is just disgusting, haha.

Tuorom

Neo Member
In all seriousness, what type of oil do you drink? I have a friend who used to take shots of olive oil, but that can't be good, can it?

You would probably take either olive oil or coconut oil. I don't think it would be detrimental to your health. The claim that fat is bad for you seems to me to be one of those "eggs are bad for you" bullshit commercial ploys.

I have no citations, haha, you will have to research and decide for yourself.

Yea but it seems he is looking to replace a meal with a shake and I don't consider protein powders to be meal replacement worthy. Protein powders are more supplemental to a meal, and I'd rather eat whole foods.

Plus I think you would get more calories from a chicken breast than a scoop, but really the idea was just a joke. I've tried a chicken breast in a smoothie and the texture is just disgusting, haha.

I'd rather whey protein and some fat via nuts / oil than trying to add some sort of meat in. Whey is pretty damn impressive when it comes to muscle building if used in the right way.

I am not eating nearly enough to be bulking like I could be so my programming now has been dialed way back but im still progressing. I only increase weights on M & F and it's like 5ib increases to the bottom lifts and 1.5 ib increases to the top !_!

I just can't do gomad or 3500 cals or 100+ gs of protein a day. too fucking hard.

I am not eating nearly enough to be bulking like I could be so my programming now has been dialed way back but im still progressing. I only increase weights on M & F and it's like 5ib increases to the bottom lifts and 1.5 ib increases to the top !_!

I just can't do gomad or 3500 cals or 100+ gs of protein a day. too fucking hard.

How much do you weigh? Im 190 lbs and i only need about 2800 calories to gain weight. Also 100g of protein is like, 8 0z of chicken and a scoop of weigh protein/cup of milk. It shouldnt be hard at all.

entremet

Eating late really fucks me up.

I weigh myself daily and I ate late yesterday. It was Friday. My weight went up 1.5 pounds. I know it's water weight and it wasn't anything extravagant.

I know if I'm in fat loss mode, late night eating is the first thing to go.

Well, I persuaded myself to do a weights session at least today. No idea if I'm going to be able to persuade myself to get on the turbo trainer.

My cycling training has gone out the window. I just can't be arsed with it. It's too painful, and it fucking sucks (and yes, I'm being a pussy).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'd rather whey protein and some fat via nuts / oil than trying to add some sort of meat in. Whey is pretty damn impressive when it comes to muscle building if used in the right way.
I really have no idea where the idea that whey protein is junk came from.
It's literally just a protein fraction of milk.

It's the old "it's not real food therefore it can't be as good" bollocks.

Whey supplementation, especially after exercise, has been proven time and time again to be very effective.

Zero²

Any ideas for a substitute for peanut butter, I'm allergic to peanuts so that's a nono...
So I'm 2kg away from my 80kg goal, but damn that's some hard 2kg to gain, I'm like 4 months at the same weight almost.

GrapeApes

Zero²;248412368 said:
Any ideas for a substitute for peanut butter, I'm allergic to peanuts so that's a nono...
So I'm 2kg away from my 80kg goal, but damn that's some hard 2kg to gain, I'm like 4 months at the same weight almost.
Train your immunoglobulins, bro.

Tuorom

Neo Member
I really have no idea where the idea that whey protein is junk came from.
It's literally just a protein fraction of milk.

I think it's because of all the "milk/dairy is bad for you" stuff that is circulating.

I don't know if it's true, but I avoid dairy because I find it gives me bad farts, haha. I miss the days of eating ice cream everyday after dinner :(

But where I was coming from was that the dude sounded like he wanted to replace a meal, and eating whole foods will give the most benefit because powder is only protein. So it wouldn't have the minerals/vitamins and whatever. But anyway, this has gotten a little out of hand, the adding chicken to a smoothie was a joke.

Eating late really fucks me up.

I weigh myself daily and I ate late yesterday. It was Friday. My weight went up 1.5 pounds. I know it's water weight and it wasn't anything extravagant.

I know if I'm in fat loss mode, late night eating is the first thing to go.

I disagree and there are a bunch of peer-reviewed studies about people consistently losing weight during Ramadan where most of their eating takes place during the night. Here's probably the pick of those studies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19164831

It's the frequency of eating not when you eat.
EDIT:
Another study refuting the late eating myth;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

In reality though, it tends to be what you eat late at night. Most people tend to eat really shitty things for their late night snacks, and if they've been drinking... sense goes out the window.

Calories all being equal though, it makes no difference.

People eat shittier things for breakfast -- sugary cereals and milk, juices, croissants, bread and sugar paste (jelly, nutella, etc), bread, bread and even more bread. Breakfast seems to be a no-guilt meal in many people's eyes because they think its okay to eat shit since they have not been eating for a period of time and they will "burn it off" during the day.

Did 60kg squats and 50kg deadlifts today. Think that's close to my limit. Was kinda cool to lift that much.

Bench press was a mess tho. Could barely do 10 again. Couldn't even lift 20. Ended up going to dumbbell corner and just bench pressed 2x5(10kg) there.

I find bench press to be the most difficult. Even with dumbbells the difference in weight is big! I felt really tired after doing bench press with dumbbells, too. Are you supposed to do only 5 reps with dumbbells too?
Ay fam, you and I are about the same weight in terms of lifts! :D
You bench more than me but I can squat more, but aside from that pretty much the same, aha. If you're struggling with chest a lot, it may be your triceps that are failing you? Although if you're new to it like me, sometimes it's literally just time and patience that we need.

No advice for ya on eating more since I'm eating 1500cals a day, trying to lose weight, I've been doing that for like 4-5 months now and I've got no idea how I'm gonna be able to eat 2000cals again since I barely meet 1500 most days because much like you, I just struggle to actually do the eating.

RSP

Today I've lost exactly 70lbs since 1/1.

People are really starting to notice, and I threw out all the fat guy clothes. I'm still 260lbs, so I have a way to go, though I have no trouble losing 1-2lbs each week so eventually I'll reach my goal of 220lbs (99.9kg).

Diet is simple. I just count calories and aim for a 500+ cal deficit. Might have to take it a bit more serious as I'm still eating junk food once a week (but I managed to cut portion size and frequency by a huge amount).

I also walk 1 hour (4 mi) at least 5 days a week. No running, just a good walk while listening to some podcasts. Let me know if you got some recommendations.

Today I've lost exactly 70lbs since 1/1.

People are really starting to notice, and I threw out all the fat guy clothes. I'm still 260lbs, so I have a way to go, though I have no trouble losing 1-2lbs each week so eventually I'll reach my goal of 220lbs (99.9kg).

Diet is simple. I just count calories and aim for a 500+ cal deficit. Might have to take it a bit more serious as I'm still eating junk food once a week (but I managed to cut portion size and frequency by a huge amount).

I also walk 1 hour (4 mi) at least 5 days a week. No running, just a good walk while listening to some podcasts. Let me know if you got some recommendations.

Good job! I like Easy Allies podcast and giant bombcast.

Top Bottom