• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Faiz

Man, Two Words is the classic example of a guy that doesn't want help, he wants people to tell him he's doing everything right.

Hey all, PSA: ATG squats will fuck your shit up. They are bad.

Slams face off desk.

You a doctor, bro?

Dr. Oz is a doctor, you should also listen to him. Raspberry ketones, Natural sugars and strawberry sparkles here we come!

It's amazing that despite almost all the advice not from Fitgaf are terrible, that the OP is actually making everything worse.

SeanR1221

Lol the thread is a shit show.

But it makes me excited for squat day today. I wanna get my groove back. Last couple sessions haven't been great due to my cold. I think squat is the hardest when you're not feeling well; it's harder to keep my balance and take a deep breath.

Two thumbs up for that.

Tomorrow I do a leg thing, and Monday it looks like I'll go ahead and start 5/3/1. I've toasted about 1/4 of the book on my phone today, so I'll just read/reread it to sink it in and get it nailed into my brain.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Reposting to look for some advice.
I'm super open to change though, so can I get some critiques and feedback from you guys on how to improve my routine?
Exercises are 3 sets (10 - 8 - 6) with 1RM's unless noted

Chest & Triceps
Flat bench
Hammer strength incline
Hammer strength decline
Pectoral cable fly (upper and lower)
Tricep pulldown (after 1RM I do decreasing weight until failure)
Skullcrushers

Back & Biceps
Lat pulldown
Seated row
Bicep curls (preacher bar)
Bent over dumbbell row
Bicep curls (dumbbell)
Deadlift

Legs & Shoulders
Barbell squat
Inverse leg curl
Leg extensions
45° leg press
Lateral raise (dumbbell)
Shoulder press (dumbbell)
Shoulder shrugs (dumbbell)
Calf raises

Frequency is usually three times per week with the occasional 4-5 day weeks.

---

My coach has me do either sternal crunches or dead bugs with 2s hold. Tried hanging leg raises but my quads and hip flexors were a bit too tight at that time. I should be able to do them now. Going to talk to him about doing some different stuff. Catalyst Athletics has an article on ab and back accessories their athletes do: http://www.catalystathletics.com/article/1847/AbsBack-What-Does-it-All-Mean/

Yeah, 3 sets of 10 at the end of each session. I would never do a full ab workout, waste of time.

I'm still a beginner so my coach is doing all this to build a solid base. Later on if my core isn't a limiting factor in my lifts, don't need to do abs that often.

That's awesome, thanks. I'm going to have to start adding some core exercises into my days since I feel it really helps my other lifts.

Szu

You a doctor, bro?

Dr. Oz is a doctor, you should also listen to him. Raspberry ketones, Natural sugars and strawberry sparkles here we come!

It's amazing that despite almost all the advice not from Fitgaf are terrible, that the OP is actually making everything worse.

I don't trust him. There's only one doctor for me and that's Dr. Banner. Have you seen his gains?

You a doctor, bro?
Love doctor, yes. How may I halp?

Well, you gotta understand bro, he's not a beginner.

You have to hatch first. Right now he's just an egg.

Reposting to look for some advice.

I think you're doing too much volume? Also I'm not sure if you're really working your 1RM weights if you're doing a set of 10 with them. Doesn't that suddenly become 10RM?

Are those exercises in order? If so, I think the deadlift (or any barbell compound) should go first since that's the one you want to be fresh for. If anything, I'd probably make it look something like this:

Exercises are 2 sets of 8 with maximum weight unless noted
Chest & Triceps
Flat bench
Hammer strength incline
Hammer strength decline
Skullcrushers
Pectoral cable fly (upper and lower)

Back & Biceps
Deadlift (5-6 reps/set)
Chin ups (weighted, or BWx10-15reps)
Seated row
Bicep curls (preacher bar)
Bent over dumbbell row

Legs & Shoulders
Barbell squat
Inverse leg curl
Leg extensions
Lateral raise (dumbbell)
Shoulder press (dumbbell)
Shoulder shrugs (dumbbell)
Calf raises

Doing 2 sets will let you maximize your effort where it counts, and hopefully push the weights higher. If you're bulking you could probably manage a 3rd set with the increased food intake but you might be better off using it towards recovery so you can push/pull more next workout.

There are most likely better lifters here, and hopefully they can chime in with their opinions so you have more options. But most likely they're following their structured programs from someone else since it works for them, with very slight modifications.

I don't trust him. There's only one doctor for me and that's Dr. Banner. Have you seen his gains?

Damn, the guy's strong. Is he an ORTHOPAEDIST though?

This shit kinda writes itself lol.

Well, you gotta understand bro, he's not a beginner.

You have to hatch first. Right now he's just an egg.

What do you do with eggs that don't(or refuse to) hatch though?

Prolly just eat it for better gains or something.

Granadier

TheFlow

Banned
I have not, but I like the idea of push/pull. The intensity might be too much for me at the moment because of diet restrictions.
My group split reasoning came from a friend who recommended keeping shoulders and chest on different days. This was to reduce the chance of a scapula or rotator cuff. Does that make any sense?

makes sense.

I actually couldn't do all of the push/pull workouts provided in the link due to the amount of energy needed. I ended up modifying it.

Man I'm extra self conscious about my squat now. How do people's front and back squat usually compare, I know it's going to be less but by how much? I've only been doing front squats so seeing everyone's back squat numbers don't help me out any, lol.

Man I'm extra self conscious about my squat now. How do people's front and back squat usually compare, I know it's going to be less but by how much? I've only been doing front squats so seeing everyone's back squat numbers don't help me out any, lol.

don't be. everyone has different goals in mind.

I'm hoping that once my back / shoulder injury is gone I'll be able to try squats again. I can't say I ever really enjoyed them, but I know for a fact that I prefer doing them to not doing them.

Just hope to hell squatting with raised heels will help out with whatever has been causing my left knee to tweak.

TheFlow

Banned
This is from my first year of working out way back in 2014. I am lifting small again because I quit the gym for the longest

My box squat pr. of 405stopped doing these wayy back.
https://www.facebook.com/carl.broug...000492639189/1032755823417496/?type=3&theater
My box squat squt pr of 365. again I stopped doing these way back.
https://www.facebook.com/carl.broug...000492639189/1011405128885899/?type=3&theater

overall I found boxsquats easier than normal squats but they messed up my form, caused me to get lazy, and made my butt soft lol

alife

Anybody here have experience with parasites? A couple years ago I received food poisoning. I remember seeing worms in my stool and I spent a few days constantly evacuating my bowels. I took some over the counter medication and I did not notice anything unusual anymore within my stool. Back in 2013, I was 240 lbs. Trained 5+ nights a week and ate a quite a bit to maintain my daily macro intake requirements. Due to complications in my life and other circumstances, I had to stop training. I also was not able to afford a gym membership renewal since I was paying off some student loan debt and was helping my parents out with bills and medical expenses. After 2 years out of the gym, I had dropped down to around 198-200 lbs. About 8 months ago (198 lbs), I renewed my gym membership and am currently struggling to get over 200 lbs (currently at 195). I've been eating over 200g of protein on a daily basis (35% protein, 45% carbs and 20% fat) and train the same amount of time each week. I'm not eating as much as I used to when I weighed 240 lbs, but I know I'm eating enough to get over 200 lbs. I only do cardio about once or twice a week. Is it possible that there are some left over parasites causing mal-absorption of nutrients? The only symptom from a worm infection I get is occasional constipation. Will probably go to Rite-Aide to pick up some pyrantel and most likely call my physician. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced something similar this. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't get them gains anymore.

Anybody here have experience with parasites? A couple years ago I received food poisoning. I remember seeing worms in my stool and I spent a few days constantly evacuating my bowels. I took some over the counter medication and I did not notice anything unusual anymore within my stool. Back in 2013, I was 240 lbs. Trained 5+ nights a week and ate a quite a bit to maintain my daily macro intake requirements. Due to complications in my life and other circumstances, I had to stop training. I also was not able to afford a gym membership renewal since I was paying off some student loan debt and was helping my parents out with bills and medical expenses. After 2 years out of the gym, I had dropped down to around 198-200 lbs. About 8 months ago (198 lbs), I renewed my gym membership and am currently struggling to get over 200 lbs (currently at 195). I've been eating over 200g of protein on a daily basis (35% protein, 45% carbs and 20% fat) and train the same amount of time each week. I'm not eating as much as I used to when I weighed 240 lbs, but I know I'm eating enough to get over 200 lbs. I only do cardio about once or twice a week. Is it possible that there are some left over parasites causing mal-absorption of nutrients? The only symptom from a worm infection I get is occasional constipation. Will probably go to Rite-Aide to pick up some pyrantel and most likely call my physician. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced something similar this. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't get them gains anymore.
1) Doctor
2) Spoiler tag that shit. Gross!
3) Go see an endocrinologist

How thirsty are you? How are your energy/fatigue levels? Have you always had issues with gaining?

If the answers are very, low and only recently - go see an endocrinologist that specializes in thyroid.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Threw a couple blueberry muffins into my breakfast shake...was like 2000 calories total.

So damn good.
DW5xUQh.jpg

alife

1) Doctor
2) Spoiler tag that shit. Gross!
3) Go see an endocrinologist

How thirsty are you? How are your energy/fatigue levels? Have you always had issues with gaining?

If the answers are very, low and only recently - go see an endocrinologist that specializes in thyroid.

I'm never dehydrated and over thirsty. I never get fatigued easily, even when I'm averaging 40 sets per muscle group each workout. I'm pretty content with my energy levels. And no, never had issues with gaining weight. I don't expect to reach 240 lbs again soon especially after only being back in the gym for 8 months, but getting over 200 shouldn't be this difficult for me.

Yeah.... I considered the possibility of a thyroid condition... I don't want it to be that.

I'm never dehydrated and over thirsty. I never get fatigued easily, even when I'm averaging 40 sets per muscle group each workout. I'm pretty content with my energy levels. And no, never had issues with gaining weight. I don't expect to reach 240 lbs again soon especially after only being back in the gym for 8 months, but getting over 200 shouldn't be this difficult for me.

Yeah.... I considered the possibility of a thyroid condition... I don't want it to be that.
What are your calories and macro breakdown? How often do you train?

Towards the end of my bulk at 220-225 I was consuming 4.5-5k calories to make the needle barely move.

Plenty factors like how stressful is your job physically and mentally, sleep, etc.

Also, 40 sets sounds like overkill, IMO. 15-20 is my recommended, tbh. Per muscle group. I personally heat each group once per week with dedicated bi and tri days. Legs are an easy 20 while smaller groups like bis and Tris each get 16. I was able to put on 28lbs in 50 weeks. I would look into your routine if you are legit hitting 40 sets of X reps - with basic hypertrophy range that's 400 reps for a single muscle. You will be drastically deficient on nutrition and sleep unless you're on gear.

If you are just getting back into the swing of things I would look at a program, tbh. That's way too much volume. I go overboard sometimes but that's just crazy, IMO. If it takes you longer than 45 mins to hit a muscle group like chest - rethink your program.

demented

I'm thinking about checking my test levels along with some other related things so besides testosterone what else should I ask to have checked. They'll probably give me advice in the lab but I don't want to miss something important.
Hopefully not a bunch of stuff because it can get expensive and I just wanna see where I'm at, no issues as of yet but yeah.

Granadier

👌🏻👌🏻
Ladies will be flocking.

Now all my GAF ads are for chubbies swim trunks.

alife

What are your calories and macro breakdown? How often do you train?

Towards the end of my bulk at 220-225 I was consuming 4.5-5k calories to make the needle barely move.

Plenty factors like how stressful is your job physically and mentally, sleep, etc.

Also, 40 sets sounds like overkill, IMO. 15-20 is my recommended, tbh. Per muscle group. I personally heat each group once per week with dedicated bi and tri days. Legs are an easy 20 while smaller groups like bis and Tris each get 16. I was able to put on 28lbs in 50 weeks. I would look into your routine if you are legit hitting 40 sets of X reps - with basic hypertrophy range that's 400 reps for a single muscle. You will be drastically deficient on nutrition and sleep unless you're on gear.

If you are just getting back into the swing of things I would look at a program, tbh. That's way too much volume. I go overboard sometimes but that's just crazy, IMO. If it takes you longer than 45 mins to hit a muscle group like chest - rethink your program.

At the moment my macro ratio is 35% protein, 45% carbohydrates, and 20% fats. I always get in over 200g of protein. My carb and fat intake fluctuates depending on whether or not I'm incorporating cardio for the day. When I was 240, my macros were 260g protein, 300g carbs, and 45g fats. My body has always responded better to high volume training. At 240, I hit each muscle group twice a week, 30-40 sets per workout (Mon - shoulders and arms, Tues - back and chest, Wed - legs and cardio, Thurs - shoulders and arms, Fri - back and chest, Sat - cardio, Sun - rest day). Now, I'm in the gym 5 nights a week for no longer than an hour and a half, sometimes just an hour. I hit each muscle group once a week for 30-40 sets (Wed - arms, Thurs - shoulders, Fri - back, Sat - chest, Sun - legs, Mon and Tues - rest days; 6+ different exercises for each muscle group. For lateral, anterior, and posterior delts, I'll do 3 exercises for 5 sets and throw in an exercise or two for traps since I've had neck problems in the past, so I don't train them as hard). I never felt as though I was over training nor felt a deficiency in nutrition. I also do not always lift heavy. With some exercises, I will lift heavy, and others I will lift with medium weight. For the past couple of weeks, I completed 30 sets per muscle group just to see whether or not I was over training. Back in 2012 when I was 215 lbs, I was eating less than I am now and sometimes worked out only a few times a week, and was able to maintain that weight. Then later in 2013, I went up to 240 because my body responded so well to the higher volume training and because I ate a lot more. But right now with my current diet, I feel as though I should not be struggling to get past 200 lbs, especially in 8 months. Can't figure out why I'm unable to gain a consistent amount of weight. Training and gaining used to be a rewarding and fulfilling experience that felt consistent. It's not like I lost knowledge/experience or the discipline (e.g. counting macros, weighing food, etc). Is the difference between ages 25 and 28 big (I'm older now but I honestly feel stronger than I have before)? Maybe it is stress and other factors. Idk. But I'm leaning more towards a parasite infection because those fuckers are smart enough to be subtle about what they're doing.

SeanR1221

👌🏻👌🏻
Ladies will be flocking.

Now all my GAF ads are for chubbies swim trunks.
Lol I've been getting ads for them ever since I bought the trunks

More power to you! I feel strange in any shorts not down to my knees. Must be because of the time and place I grew up. Bay area in the early 90s was all gansta rap.

Come on. Admit the real reason. You don't want to shut down the beach

I only rock bathing suits like that nowadays.

🙌🏻🙌🏻

I wish I could wear these, they look so nice.

What does a quadzilla wear to the beach?

At the moment my macro ratio is 35% protein, 45% carbohydrates, and 20% fats. I always get in over 200g of protein. My carb and fat intake fluctuates depending on whether or not I'm incorporating cardio for the day. When I was 240, my macros were 260g protein, 300g carbs, and 45g fats. My body has always responded better to high volume training. At 240, I hit each muscle group twice a week, 30-40 sets per workout (Mon - shoulders and arms, Tues - back and chest, Wed - legs and cardio, Thurs - shoulders and arms, Fri - back and chest, Sat - cardio, Sun - rest day). Now, I'm in the gym 5 nights a week for no longer than an hour and a half, sometimes just an hour. I hit each muscle group once a week for 30-40 sets (Wed - arms, Thurs - shoulders, Fri - back, Sat - chest, Sun - legs, Mon and Tues - rest days; 6+ different exercises for each muscle group. For lateral, anterior, and posterior delts, I'll do 3 exercises for 5 sets and throw in an exercise or two for traps since I've had neck problems in the past, so I don't train them as hard). I never felt as though I was over training nor felt a deficiency in nutrition. I also do not always lift heavy. With some exercises, I will lift heavy, and others I will lift with medium weight. For the past couple of weeks, I completed 30 sets per muscle group just to see whether or not I was over training. Back in 2012 when I was 215 lbs, I was eating less than I am now and sometimes worked out only a few times a week, and was able to maintain that weight. Then later in 2013, I went up to 240 because my body responded so well to the higher volume training and because I ate a lot more. But right now with my current diet, I feel as though I should not be struggling to get past 200 lbs, especially in 8 months. Can't figure out why I'm unable to gain a consistent amount of weight. Training and gaining used to be a rewarding and fulfilling experience that felt consistent. It's not like I lost knowledge/experience or the discipline (e.g. counting macros, weighing food, etc). Is the difference between ages 25 and 28 big (I'm older now but I honestly feel stronger than I have before)? Maybe it is stress and other factors. Idk. But I'm leaning more towards a parasite infection because those fuckers are smart enough to be subtle about what they're doing.
Ooooh, I read that before as 40 sets per muscle group per session XD. 30-40 is fine IMO for high volume the way you lay it out here.

You may need more calories, aside from a recalc each month, several times I had to do larger jumps to make strength and weight increases. I put that on my workload at the day job fluctuating and other factors.

I would go see a doc if you know your body and it stops responding. Especially if you previously had parasites. Doesn't mean you still have them but they can change your body for life.

alife

Ooooh, I read that before as 40 sets per muscle group per session XD. 30-40 is fine IMO for high volume the way you lay it out here.
Haha, I'm not Son Goku.

You may need more calories, aside from a recalc each month, several times I had to do larger jumps to make strength and weight increases. I put that on my workload at the day job fluctuating and other factors.
Yeah, will do. I also eat more chicken and fish than red meat. I'll switch it up.

I would go see a doc if you know your body and it stops responding. Especially if you previously had parasites. Doesn't mean you still have them but they can change your body for life.
Got an appointment with the doc, so hopefully I get some solid info.

Top Bottom