• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

SeanR1221

Hm. Third week in a row back squats just feel bad. The last two weeks I chalked it up to being sick. Now I'm not so sure. I took video of my form and it looks fine. Bar path is straight, I'm opening at the hips, dropping deep.

But everything feels super heavy. My legs feel like jello. At my old gym on 5s week I hit 245x10. Tonight I struggled to hit 255x5 and then another set of 3 shortly after.

Some thoughts.

- I'm used to having a mirror In front of me and not having it is throwing me "off"
- prowler/tire flips are cutting into recovery
- I'm a weak bitch

The thing is, bench, deadlift and even front squat have been going well so I'm not sure what the exact issue is. Squat day used to be one of my favorites and I'm slowly hating it because my mojo is gone.

https://youtu.be/CAajLe2fhZs

Video of some single work

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Delts take a ton of time and energy to master.
You should be proud.
Thousands of raises to prove it!

___

Up at 4:30
Worked 13.5 hours
Lifted over 700 cases of beer
Still made it in for hi rep shoulders and tris

No excuses FitGaf!

Szu

Thousands of raises to prove it!

___

Up at 4:30
Worked 13.5 hours
Lifted over 700 cases of beer
Still maybe it in for hi rep shoulders and tris

No excuses FitGaf!

You heard him, no excuses!!!
Gordon-Liu-Arm-Strengthening.jpg

Cooter

What ab exercises do you do?
Sorry. Missed this. I don't do any. I figure they've got to be plenty strong to move the weight I do OHPing, squatting, and DLing. Not saying it would be a bad idea but I personally don't see a good reason to.

Heysoos

Anyone lift twice a day? I did chest this morning. And tonight I was just lounging around and I felt like I still had a ton of energy. It might have been because I hit up Whataburger and got me a patty melt, but man I had a surprisingly large amount of energy for being my second lift of the day. I don't plan to make it a common occurrence but it felt great.

TheFlow

Banned
Anyone lift twice a day? I did chest this morning. And tonight I was just lounging around and I felt like I still had a ton of energy. It might have been because I hit up Whataburger and got me a patty melt, but man I had a surprisingly large amount of energy for being my second lift of the day. I don't plan to make it a common occurrence but it felt great.

nothing wrong with lifting twice a day. just rest up and space them out

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
All the leg and squat talk amped me up for a late night gym session for an intense leg day. I can't walk, but I feel fucking great.

ILoveBish

Ok so I've done all compounds now just to get a feel for where I'm at. Deadlift best was 405x1, squat best was 265x3 for a few sets, chest best was 200x1 with a 135x12 after, and ohp was 135x3 for a few sets. Good baseline to work with. Will take tomorrow off and get some type of routine figured out to get my strength back.

Home gym is everything I dreamed of and more. Installed a onkyo stereo system today with sub and Chromecast audio, speakers right next to the platform. The garage is actually getting close to completion. Need to hang up my extra weight stuff on the wall and hang my flags, not much left.

Shoulder blade / back still completely fucked. Have physio appointment today... maybe they can work something out, but I'm not overly convinced.

Faiz

Hm. Third week in a row back squats just feel bad. The last two weeks I chalked it up to being sick. Now I'm not so sure. I took video of my form and it looks fine. Bar path is straight, I'm opening at the hips, dropping deep.

But everything feels super heavy. My legs feel like jello. At my old gym on 5s week I hit 245x10. Tonight I struggled to hit 255x5 and then another set of 3 shortly after.

Some thoughts.

- I'm used to having a mirror In front of me and not having it is throwing me "off"
- prowler/tire flips are cutting into recovery
- I'm a weak bitch

The thing is, bench, deadlift and even front squat have been going well so I'm not sure what the exact issue is. Squat day used to be one of my favorites and I'm slowly hating it because my mojo is gone.

https://youtu.be/CAajLe2fhZs

Video of some single work

You know, everyone seems to be on the same page that when losing weight their bench goes first. With me it was squat, and I definitely lost more off my squat than anything else, and it's what eventually made me give up on fat loss for a while. I lost a good 15% off my squat, while deadlift was a little under 10%, bench only about 6%. Bench is almost back to pre-weightloss numbers after two weeks of eating maintenance/recomp. Deadlifts and OHP are lagging but getting there. Squat is... *shrug*. I haven't videoed yet, but I need to...

Anyway, one thing is for sure, you are not a weak bitch!

The Chef

Wanna hear a rookie mistake?
I started taking fish oil supplements for the past week. 1 tsp first thing in the morning.
....I am also doing IF not realizing 1tsp of fish oil has nearly 50 calories in it.
I've been unknowingly breaking my fast for the past week. SHIT.

Highly unlikely that was enough to cause an insulin spike. Fat is highly insulinogenic anyway, and the numbers I've seen say that you'd probably need to hit about 80kcal in a short period to "break" your fast.

Unrelated, back from physio. Ouch. They're not a gentle bunch.

Another appointment on Friday. Have been told cycling is OK if mostly upright, but weights are out.

The Chef

Highly unlikely that was enough to cause an insulin spike. Fat is highly insulinogenic anyway, and the numbers I've seen say that you'd probably need to hit about 80kcal in a short period to "break" your fast.

Very true. However, I also have 1/3 cup of milk with my coffee in the morning to be around 50cals. So this likely pushes me to 100 ;_;

Well, on my bright side, not going to the gym means I get to spend more time with my son.

Also, the tightness in my glutes seems to enhance my booty bump.
Fam first, bro!

Also, pics of dat ass, pl0x.

-

So I need to start wearing a belt again on my cut. I feel like Sinbad in my work legs.

Also, speaking of losing the stronk on a cut - my squat was the first to go this week, as well. 4 weeks in and I lost a few reps. Bench holding steady and OHP took a cut on subsequent sets. 1st set is still holding at weight/reps but follow-ups are waning. I did cut my rest time in half when I started my cut so that isn't helping. I had figured they would go right around a month in and here they are. Should be done in 8 more weeks if I timed everything right. If not then I keep at it until I hit 10% - my preferred is 12-13% but I'm shooting for 10 anyhow.

I've started doing 30-60 minutes of stationary bike riding on my off days (so twice a week). Its amazing how much better my lower back, hips, knees, and hamstrings feel by doing this. Today was an off day so I did a quick ride and I already feel better and ready to deadlift tomorrow.

BumRush

I've started doing 30-60 minutes of stationary bike riding on my off days (so twice a week). Its amazing how much better my lower back, hips, knees, and hamstrings feel by doing this. Today was an off day so I did a quick ride and I already feel better and ready to deadlift tomorrow.

feel better, vs. treadmill?

Ixian

I've hit this point too, around the same workload even (only 5 reps though). At least for me, I think it's just the effects of being on a cut for 5.5 months without much in the way of cheating and being at my all-time lowest weight. I can feel it in other areas of my day-to-day too, not to mention I have adult shit my girlfriend and I have been dealing with adding additional stress. Hopefully only have have another three or so months of cutting left.

SeanR1221

You know, everyone seems to be on the same page that when losing weight their bench goes first. With me it was squat, and I definitely lost more off my squat than anything else, and it's what eventually made me give up on fat loss for a while. I lost a good 15% off my squat, while deadlift was a little under 10%, bench only about 6%. Bench is almost back to pre-weightloss numbers after two weeks of eating maintenance/recomp. Deadlifts and OHP are lagging but getting there. Squat is... *shrug*. I haven't videoed yet, but I need to...

Anyway, one thing is for sure, you are not a weak bitch!

I have a feeling it's movement pattern. So when I made an effort to go deeper, it seems like I'm going even deeper than before.

Take a look

RS8Uo0zh.jpg

My squat was getting higher and higher a couple months ago. The left was me going back and saying ok get deep. Now I'm going really deep.

I'm going to chalk this up to a new motor pattern for right now and see how the next couple weeks go, unless someone sees a glaring issue with my form, which I'm definitely open to

Cooter

Here are how my numbers dropped from bulk to cut.

Squat 425x3x3 ---> 365x3x3
Bench 335x3x3 ---< 295x3x3
DL actually stayed ~500x3x3

It happens to the best of us Sean.

I think I'm going to like 5/3/1. Especially the part about eating. I mean, I don't think I'll get leaner, which maybe I could considering my BF% is a little north of where it ought to be, but I want to get stronger.

This book is making it sound dead simple, just a matter of commitment.

Teggy

lol I'm using a green band to assist and I still can't get 3x10 reps. One day *shakes fist*

I couldn't do 2 unweighted chin-ups in a row back in October. I would do one and then 4 negatives. You will get there. It's by far the one exercise that has shown me how my strength has improved.

Cooter

I think I'm going to like 5/3/1. Especially the part about eating. I mean, I don't think I'll get leaner, which maybe I could considering my BF% is a little north of where it ought to be, but I want to get stronger.

This book is making it sound dead simple, just a matter of commitment.
It's one of those things that is simple but very difficult. I say the same thing about playing poker well.

As far as gaining strength, it really does just come down to eating plenty and being consistent on a heavy compound progression program.

mdsfx

Yes so much better for me. I've played sports my entire life. I'm done running, even on a treadmill.
I only run twice per week, way less than runners recommended, and cycle 4 days per week. Cycling has dramatically reduced my running injuries and I'm still making awesome progress with my running, both for speed and distance. So far I've easily beat last year's race PRs and I'm on track to destroy last year's Soldier Field 10-mile time by at least 1:30 PER MILE.

Cycling is awesome.

Irobot82

I couldn't do 2 unweighted chin-ups in a row back in October. I would do one and then 4 negatives. You will get there. It's by far the one exercise that has shown me how my strength has improved.

Yeah I'm pushing for it hard. Every lift day I either do chinups or pullups at the end. I started at 15 total I think and now I'm up to 25. So that's an improvement.

It's one of those things that is simple but very difficult. I say the same thing about playing poker well.

As far as gaining strength, it really does just come down to eating plenty and being consistent on a heavy compound progression program.

The eating plenty part is a ray of light from the heavens. I can get by on eating plenty of good stuff. It'll gimme the energy I want, since I life in the mornings.

KillerBEA

Cycling is awesome.

Cycling is best cardio.

I need to get air in my tires and start doing it again. Used to do it so much and was a beast as a kid. Did a 51 mile ride with my Dad when I was 13. Still remains as my record since I have not actively ridden since.

Dany

Banned
Anyone ever participated in a Tough Mudder? Doing one in "chicago" (rockford) this saturday and NERVOUS AS SHIT
12 miles 20 obstacles. Like, I think i might take a mr. hyde to keep my endurance up throughout.

KillerBEA

51 miles is a huge ride for a kid.

Indeed, I was by far the youngest on that route. Many of the people at the rest stops were surprised to see me on the 50 mile route and not one of the shorter ones. I was super fit and skinny as a kid from playing Basketball, doing Martial Arts, and Bicycling so much.

mdsfx

I always wonder if people who sign up for obstacle courses have first just tried running the same distance first...

Top Bottom