• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

My form still hasn't improved on my squats. I still lean forward a lot. I've been trying to stretch a lot, but I'm not really feeling a difference. If it isn't a flexibility issue, what should I try next? Squatting is really the only exercise that I do where I feel that I cannot get the form right.

As far as depth goes, I can go ATG with the weights I'm working on, but I still bend forward a lot.

What kind of shoes do you have? How much weight are you putting on?

Actually, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say you need to put on more weight. Something like 95 lbs will help a lot probably. I've linked this video before and I'll do it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fkhcYDBWE

Watch the first 10-15 minutes, they go over the biomechanics and balance of the movement. Your form with an empty bar will NOT match a weight that's closer to your body weight. Put on 95 lbs or more, set up the safety, and sit back towards your heel/ass a bit more. Put more tension in your upper body and core, so that it acts as a rack for the bar.

If you try goblet squats and still can't do them then a shoe with an elevated heel might help, but I don't think it's a flexibility issue.

You know what? Watch the whole video. I still refer back to it when I need help or clarification once in a while.

If I'm wrong and that doesn't help then I'll say in advance: fuck it, I suck lol.

Two Words

What kind of shoes do you have? How much weight are you putting on?

Actually, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say you need to put on more weight. Something like 95 lbs will help a lot probably. I've linked this video before and I'll do it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fkhcYDBWE

Watch the first 10-15 minutes, they go over the biomechanics and balance of the movement. Your form with an empty bar will NOT match a weight that's closer to your body weight. Put on 95 lbs or more, set up the safety, and sit back towards your heel/ass a bit more. Put more tension in your upper body and core, so that it acts as a rack for the bar.

If you try goblet squats and still can't do them then a shoe with an elevated heel might help, but I don't think it's a flexibility issue.

You know what? Watch the whole video. I still refer back to it when I need help or clarification once in a while.

If I'm wrong and that doesn't help then I'll say in advance: fuck it, I suck lol.
I'm ising lifting shoes. I watched this video as well as others recommended to me. I'm trying to do what is recommended, but my body isn't going along with it. I'm only benching the bar arm. I can go ATG with it, but I just can't stop bending forward whether I do ATG or not.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Go to gym: yes/no?

tdrBo.gif

Ok

I'll look into that. I don't mind slow progress as long as progress is happening. Do you think if I keep at it, whatever supporting muscles that are too weak to keep form will get stronger as I keep it going? The same thing happened to me when I started bench pressing. I could barely get any depth on it, my legs kept kicking, my back would arch a lot, etc. I just kept doing light weight bench presses until my form started getting better.

Lots of stretches. Make sure to LEAD with the hips before your knees bend. You want to sit down into the squat first before your knees bend. This alone will help track the bar path a bit straighter and keep you from leaning forward too much.

Thoracic extension through depth is one of those things that is also dependent on flexibility. You can try sitting in a squat position like you are pooping (don't poop) and even do stuff like walk back and forth in your living room while watching TV in a squatted position, hands on top of your head. You'd be surprised how a few simple exercises like that per week can help with basic thoracic extension, flexibility, stability, etc. Doesn't have to be anything crazy.

Also - how tall are you? Just curious. Limb length can definitely impact how you approach a lift, IMO. Your hinge joints and the lever arms they create won't be in the same configuration as someone taller/shorter. If you are tall like me - you may have some issues with sitting back into a squat first before your knees bend. Took me a long time to get form right where my bar path was pin straight and i didn't feel like i was about to blow out my lower back.

bchamba

Get a view from the front as well next time. It looks like you might be trying to maintain an arch in your back which is making it hard for you to hit depth without folding. What you want is a neutral spine, not an arched one like many personal trainers who don't know what they're talking about would recommend. I know you've been linked to many videos already, but at least watch the first 6 or 7 minutes of this one where Chris Duffin explains the proper way to brace your core for the squat: https://youtu.be/U5zrloYWwxw

The rest of the video is good too if you have time to watch the whole thing.

Do Apple Cider Vinegar pills work?
I've been jogging recently to try to lose some weight and someone recommended me it because it apparently makes you lose weight?

Maybe if you eat the whole bottle instead of having a meal, lol.

Also, do not run for weight loss purposes. There are better ways.

Two Words

You lead with your knees.

Lead with your hips. They should be the first to move.

https://youtu.be/t2b8UdqmlFs?t=650
I'll try to lead with my hips more. From the sound of that video, it makes it seem like leaning forward isn't completely terrible as long as I maintain integrity on my back. You asked me how tall I am, I'm 6' 0". I've always been described as pretty lanky, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had longer than average limb ratios.

Edit.
I'm trying to lead with my hips right now without weights. Maybe it's because my legs are jello atm, but I feel like as soon as I bend my hips to squat, my knees bend.

I don't know why Romaleos II's are so expensive on Amazon. I got these off Eastbay for $169, no tax. Amazon would have been close to $250.

vF16XGj.jpg

I think how orange they are was more than my phone's camera could handle, lol.

I'll try to lead with my hips more. From the sound of that video, it makes it seem like leaning forward isn't completely terrible as long as I maintain integrity on my back. You asked me how tall I am, I'm 6' 0". I've always been described as pretty lanky, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had longer than average limb ratios.

Edit.
I'm trying to lead with my hips right now without weights. Maybe it's because my legs are jello atm, but I feel like as soon as I bend my hips to squat, my knees bend.
Try this to get used to leading with the hip.

Stand up straight, feel shoulder width, toes forward, reach out with your hands directly over your feet and bend over to try to touch your toes. Keep the path of your hands as straight as possible.

When doing this, lock your knees, lead with your hips backwards and DO NOT bend forward - keep your spine 100% neutral, this won't be to see if you can touch your toes. I want you to get comfy with sitting your hips back without your knees bending at the same time or first. If your back begins to bend or round, reset.

It's one of those things where you need to maintain separation between your hips and knees - it's difficult to retrain your body/brain so small exercises like this will help alleviate the connection your body has between wanting to do both at the same time.

I employed all sorts of tricks like this to grease the groove when I started out.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
You lead with your knees.

Lead with your hips. They should be the first to move.

https://youtu.be/t2b8UdqmlFs?t=650

He's squatting high bar so he should break at the knees and hips simultaneously.

He also lacks serious mobility even with an elevated heel. For high bar you want as vertical a torso as possible while sitting straight down in your squat, not back.

I would suggest doing mobility work. A simple and effective exercise is to sit in a full squat position with your finger tips holding the toes of your shoes. You should be forcing yourself to "sit" in the squat position as deep as possible. Eventually you can do this without holding your feet. Resistance bands are helpful for other mobility exercises. Bryce Lewis has some good stretching tutorials on youtube.

He's squatting high bar so he should break at the knees and hips simultaneously.

He also lacks serious mobility even with an elevated heel. For high bar you want as vertical a torso as possible while sitting straight down in your squat, not back.

I would suggest doing mobility work. A simple and effective exercise is to sit in a full squat position with your finger tips holding the toes of your shoes. You should be forcing yourself to "sit" in the squat position as deep as possible. Eventually you can do this without holding your feet. Resistance bands are helpful for other mobility exercises. Bryce Lewis has some good stretching tutorials on youtube.

Hmmm. I honestly hadn't noticed (even on second inspection) the high bar from the angle of that vid :|

Chocobro

Two Words, ankle mobility needs a lot more work even with the weightlifting shoes.

Also because it's a side view, we don't see your squat width and angle. Those also affect how your squat would be.

Two Words

Two Words, ankle mobility needs a lot more work even with the weightlifting shoes.

See, I am not sure if that is it. I've been working on my ankle mobility and I feel like it's fine. Maybe I'm not doing the best job testing it, but I feel like I'm passing with flying colors everything I see test and train ankle mobility.

I guess I especially feel this way because I'm a pretty flexible guy.

Faiz

Two Words, would it be possible to get a vid of you just doing a body weight squat from the front and from the side?

Faiz

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to breaking at the hips - it doesn't mean leaning forward, which is what you are prone to doing. Think more of pushing your hips back out of the way. This allows you to better keep the bar over the center of your feet, instead of out in front pf them. MTP is right that for high bar both knees and hips should be breaking at the same time, just practice pushing your hips back out of the way slightly (it's more pronounced for a low bar) instead of leaning forward.

See, I am not sure if that is it. I've been working on my ankle mobility and I feel like it's fine. Maybe I'm not doing the best job testing it, but I feel like I'm passing with flying colors everything I see test and train ankle mobility.

So have you tried this?

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles...ments-worth-correcting-part-2-ankle-mobility/

http://www.barefootrehab.com/know-your-numbers-ankle-pain-foot-pain-and-ankle-dorsiflexion/

Chocobro

I believe it's not enough, but it's only my opinion. I don't like tooting my own horn but I'll later post a picture of my ankle mobility with and without weightlifting shoes, which I think is decent or good ankle mobility.

Oh good. Low glucose again. I'll just go ahead and finish this last piece of homemade French silk pie. Still fits my macros for the day XD

I don't know why Romaleos II's are so expensive on Amazon. I got these off Eastbay for $169, no tax. Amazon would have been close to $250.

vF16XGj.jpg

I think how orange they are was more than my phone's camera could handle, lol.

it's the one i got from roguefitness.com for $170. i really wanted the red. but get that another time.

Chocobro

Was actually too much work trying to get the pictures, decided to look back at my very old videos and just screencap the bottom of my squat at that time; must play Overwatch instead.
My knees are past my toes by a fair bit. Depending on your tibia and femur lengths plus your squat stance, ankle mobility requirements will vary.

You seem like you have a pretty long torso from the video also, though it could just be the angle. I have a long torso and was having issues keeping my core tight enough on the way up. Then I bought a weightlifting belt and the difference was like night and day. I haven't stalled on my squat since. I hesitate to give advice since I am still a beginner myself, but it might be worth considering.

Chocobro

Screw the knees past the toes bit. That's a good squat.
Thanks buddy. Sadly my squat form checked lately so it's not like that anymore.

I agree with screw the knees passing the toes haha. My main point with the knees past the toes was it's necessary in a HB squat and to get there, you need good ankle mobility.

It would be beneficial for Two Words to work on that, plus other possible areas;I can't see him in person to help diagnose areas of deficiencies. In general,a proper HB squat requires quite a bit more mobility than for a LB squat.

sphinx

the piano man
Two Worlds, I suspect you leaning forward on squats is partially a balance problem and that trying to get into the right position will likely throw you off balance on your first tries.

I suggest you use a power rack with safety bars in case you have to let go the bar and "fall on your butt", it's very safe and you can try ATG without hesitation or fear.

If I were you, I'd try as much as possible to get the powerack for OHP and Squats, it's the safest way to progress on strength

12.4 total down after 5 weeks. The average is kinda high so I may kick my calories up a touch this week.

This past week was my second biggest since my first week - but this was also coming off of a refeed.

Bum's birthday today!!!

32 was the best year of my life...hoping 33 is even half as good.
One week after mine! Happy Birthday, bud!

mdsfx

Bum's birthday today!!!

32 was the best year of my life...hoping 33 is even half as good.
Nope sorry man, 33 sucks. Everything is downhill from here. You might as well just stop trying.
JK, 33 has been awesome so far :) Happy birthday bum!!

BumRush

Thanks so much all, much appreciated. Constantly blown away by how great a community this is.

As for plans: beach, bbqs and breweries (3 Bs) and spending time with my amazing wife and daughter. Probably going to be a food shortage in long island after I get done with it. My wife grabbed me a 30 oz. prime cowboy steak so I'll start there.

Enjoy the long weekend! Xoxo.

Top Bottom