• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

SeanR1221

Thanks so much all, much appreciated. Constantly blown away by how great a community this is.

As for plans: beach, bbqs and breweries (3 Bs) and spending time with my amazing wife and daughter. Probably going to be a food shortage in long island after I get done with it. My wife grabbed me a 30 oz. prime cowboy steak so I'll start there.

Enjoy the long weekend! Xoxo.

Sounds awesome, have fun!

Two Words

How essential is it to do core-targeting workouts? I hear lots of people say that you don't need to target your core since all of your other lifts engage your core. How true is this? I'm sure this is the same for most people, but I absolutely hate core exercises. If you can measure how good an exercise is based on how much stress it puts on your body, then planks must be a wonder-workout. I just hate doing them, as well as crunches or leg lifts. I'm still doing them, but I'll be honest. If I can get away with not doing them and still develop a strong core, I'd find that pretty damn appealing right about now.

How essential is it to do core-targeting workouts? I hear lots of people say that you don't need to target your core since all of your other lifts engage your core. How true is this? I'm sure this is the same for most people, but I absolutely hate core exercises. If you can measure how good an exercise is based on how much stress it puts on your body, then planks must be a wonder-workout. I just hate doing them, as well as crunches or leg lifts. I'm still doing them, but I'll be honest. If I can get away with not doing them and still develop a strong core, I'd find that pretty damn appealing right about now.
Mmmmmm... this is a hot topic.

For me - I hit my core twice per week on its own.

I personally stay away from high rep exercises and focus on the harder core exercises like dragon flags, ab wheel (standing or kneeling) and any weighted oblique exercise. Crunches I've never felt did anything for me, personally.

Some folks don't do them and have a strong core that pops - but I still prefer to do them since I'm a martial artist and treat my core like any other muscle. I find it is the center of my explosiveness.

I would personally treat the core for your goals. If you are finding your core to be a bit weaker, find your back rounding during certain lifts or just feel the core is your weak spot for stability like OHP, it wouldn't hurt to throw them some extra love early on to help strengthen them and stabilize some weak lifts.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
My hamstring flexibility is shit. I used to think that didn't matter, but now I will not stop working on it until I can do a good morning with a flat back.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Went to the gym and they were closed for memorial weekend. Damn you holidays!!

New infusion site placed on my chest today. Some slight discomfort going in as I have a lot less fat up there so I'm sure with the pressure I applied to the inserter to lay flat on the skin the needle may have hit muscle underneath or I'm just not used to it. Either or, the tube is shorter so I shouldn't have kinks as general skin and fat thickness leaves plenty of room for it. Tube length from the site to the pump on my hip is good. In a regular T-shirt I can't see it :D

Now I have room to wear a belt across my midsection. Leg day tomorrow so we will see how squats go. Will monitor insulin absorption tonight more thoroughly to see how that site will work. If it's good - BOOM!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Went to the gym and they were closed for memorial weekend. Damn you holidays!!

For the whole weekend? Unless it's some person's small membership gym, then fuck that place. I can understand closing *early* on the holiday, but being shut down on the Saturday two days beforehand? That's ridiculous.

Faiz

For the whole weekend? Unless it's some person's small membership gym, then fuck that place. I can understand closing *early* on the holiday, but being shut down on the Saturday two days beforehand? That's ridiculous.

My last gym was a Jewish Community Center. Not being Jewish myself I really didn't keep up with the holidays, I was always showing up in the morning to find it closed unexpectedly. They were welcoming to everyone but weren't the best about communicating closures to the rest of us 😅

Granadier

Not the whole weekend. They just changed up their hours and close a lot earlier than normal. Of course I decided to go an hour after they closed.

So yeah, not terrible, just inconvenient.

Two Words

I personally stay away from high rep exercises and focus on the harder core exercises like dragon flags, ab wheel (standing or kneeling) and any weighted oblique exercise. Crunches I've never felt did anything for me, personally.

Some folks don't do them and have a strong core that pops - but I still prefer to do them since I'm a martial artist and treat my core like any other muscle. I find it is the center of my explosiveness.

I would personally treat the core for your goals. If you are finding your core to be a bit weaker, find your back rounding during certain lifts or just feel the core is your weak spot for stability like OHP, it wouldn't hurt to throw them some extra love early on to help strengthen them and stabilize some weak lifts.
Well, I'll keep at it, but I won't like it. On the days that I do a core workout, I always do them at the end of whatever workout I was doing. I dunno if that's adding a lot to the shitty experience they have been for me.

Granadier

Well, I'll keep at it, but I won't like it. On the days that I do a core workout, I always do them at the end of whatever workout I was doing. I dunno if that's adding a lot to the shitty experience they have been for me.

Lifting should be a good experience though. It's such a rush to stress your body and break down your muscles. (At least for me)

I know for myself it's most difficult to actually get to the gym. Once I'm there I want to just keep working out, haha.

Two Words

Lifting should be a good experience though. It's such a rush to stress your body and break down your muscles. (At least for me)

I know for myself it's most difficult to actually get to the gym. Once I'm there I want to just keep working out, haha.
It's mainly planks. Honestly feels like a torture procedure. I walk away feeling fine afterwards, so I'm not hurting myself.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What do you guys recommend for the lower back? As in, the whole of the bottom half of the back (latissimus dorsi, throacolumbar). I'm in good shape but I noticed my skin is very flabby there and really it never gets worked out. I want to fix that. Any suggestion?

Granadier

It's mainly planks. Honestly feels like a torture procedure. I walk away feeling fine afterwards, so I'm not hurting myself.

Planks are so good for core, but they also look like the lamest exercise possible. Haha

Faith

Duuuude! Great work, man!

I love your setup on deads. Very fluid. Knocked it out of the park bud!

Got 4th in bench press and 2nd in deadlift :)

img_20160528_191623w0k74.jpg

Munti

everybody's belly does this when they're sat down, well unless youre under 10% fat maybe.

I think its more in your head than anything to be honest, nobody has a flat belly if they bend over like that!

Definitely looks like you could stand to put on some muscle before worrying too much about the tiny amount of fat you have.

....and you could easily get rid of (shrink if you will) the remaining fat, but to be honest, you'd look like a skeleton.

Thanks for the replies! Maybe it really is just in my head.
Although, I think that my pics don't show my fat properly. I also got some comments about my belly from different people (but not many). For example if I wear a straight shirt you see the lower part of my belly (and the sides) standing out quite a lot. I know it's not a huge issue, but it's a bit frustating and would be nice to get rid of it :)
What would you recommend me to get nice results? Trying to achieve 'calorie deficit+work out', 'calorie surplus+work out' or something entire else?

velociraptor

I personally do hanging leg raises and weighted cable crunches as it helps me in my deadlift. I notice when I omit ab work, deadlifting is a more gruelling affair.

Dany

Banned
Really proud of this one. Average pace of 8:06 compared to last year's 9:20+. I have a 7:50 half marathon pace in my sights :0 which I never considered to be a possibility.
Yo congrats! I was actually watching folk run that, nursing my hangover from the night before

demented

Thanks for the replies! Maybe it really is just in my head.
Although, I think that my pics don't show my fat properly. I also got some comments about my belly from different people (but not many). For example if I wear a straight shirt you see the lower part of my belly (and the sides) standing out quite a lot. I know it's not a huge issue, but it's a bit frustating and would be nice to get rid of it :)
What would you recommend me to get nice results? Trying to achieve 'calorie deficit+work out', 'calorie surplus+work out' or something entire else?

Do vacuums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDx1xfSobG4

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Power cleans:
95 lbs x 5
125x3
140x3
160x3 (PR)
180x1 (PR)... at 177lbs body weight!

I'm a new man. Time for an epic cheat day.

Two Words

What fitness apps do you guys use to track your progress/routines? I've been using Full Fitness for a long time on iPhone, and I like it. But the problem is that the app has not been updated in years. It's likely not playing nice with multitasking and this can get kind of annoying. It messes up music playback and the app constantly has to refresh, which just makes it feel kind of cumbersome. I am looking for a replacement app that follows iOS' modern standards. The problem is that every app I find tries to put you through their own custom workout routines, often at a price. I just want an app that has a huge library of workouts and makes it easy to build your own routines and track them well. A built-in timer would be nice too. I tried the app called "Strong", but it's pretty anemic when it comes to the exercise list. It doesn't seem to even let you include your own custom workouts if they don't have the one you want listed.

Here's the Full Fitness app to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I don't mind paying for apps, but I don't want anything that requires a service fee.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/full-fitness-exercise-workout/id536049508?mt=8

What fitness apps do you guys use to track your progress/routines? I've been using Full Fitness for a long time on iPhone, and I like it. But the problem is that the app has not been updated in years. It's likely not playing nice with multitasking and this can get kind of annoying. It messes up music playback and the app constantly has to refresh, which just makes it feel kind of cumbersome. I am looking for a replacement app that follows iOS' modern standards. The problem is that every app I find tries to put you through their own custom workout routines, often at a price. I just want an app that has a huge library of workouts and makes it easy to build your own routines and track them well. A built-in timer would be nice too. I tried the app called "Strong", but it's pretty anemic when it comes to the exercise list. It doesn't seem to even let you include your own custom workouts if they don't have the one you want listed.

Here's the Full Fitness app to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I don't mind paying for apps, but I don't want anything that requires a service fee.

JeFit, no question. Almost the entire workout is customizable right down to rest timers and such.

Still going but amazing so far, thank you!

I'm late, but happy birthday man.

Teggy

Strong is definitely very easy for creating custom workouts. I programmed my Greyskull variant into it. I'll also periodically add assistance exercises on the fly, and it's super easy.

Two Words

JeFit, no question. Almost the entire workout is customizable right down to rest timers and such.

I'm late, but happy birthday man.
I downloaded JeFit. This interface feels so clunky to me. I feel like they put so much beginner UI stuff that is getting in the way. I probably sound frustrated, but I just want the thing to just say "Make a workout routine, title it what you want, and add the exercises that you want". I'm having trouble seeing how to do that on this.

Google Docs, Spreadsheet

You don't need much. I keep a running list of each exercise, rep range and weight for each range.

If you are doing a specific program, just add those lifts to track until you switch programs.

I lift at home so it's easy to pop everything up on my computer but the mobile app works fine.

Two Words

Man, I'm going to miss these beginner gains. I've gone up on every workout I've done 3 times in a row. Well, except squats.

As far as tracking goes, I guess I'm just a sucker for a good mobile app interface.

Granadier

Shameless plug for Strong since I'm one of their developers

It should allow you to add any exercise, even if it isn't listed in the default exercises. There is a "custom exercise" option when creating a routine. The list can be missing a few, but I've been using it for a year and have found it covers almost everything.

If you have ideas for improvements feel free to post here or send me a PM. I can add them to the feature requests and talk with the team.

Strong is definitely very easy for creating custom workouts. I programmed my Greyskull variant into it. I'll also periodically add assistance exercises on the fly, and it's super easy.

Woo! Glad it's working well for you :)

Two Words

Somebody said wrist curls and reverse wrist curls aren't worth the effort. I've still been doing them, and I feel like my wrists are bearing weight better. I tend to finish off my Pull Days with them, so I don't let my fatigued wrists ruin any other workouts afterwards. I have small forearms, so that's why I'm really trying to work them. Is there a better exercise for building forearm muscles than wrist curls and whatever those springy grip thingies are?

It should allow you to add any exercise, even if it isn't listed in the default exercises. There is a "custom exercise" option when creating a routine. The list can be missing a few, but I've been using it for a year and have found it covers almost everything.

If you have ideas for improvements feel free to post here or send me a PM. I can add them to the feature requests and talk with the team.

A few of things

- It seems like you cannot cancel out of creating a new routine once you've started it. There is a save and done option, but no cancel option. I had to either kill the app or save the routine and then delete it.

- When I select "add exercise" when I'm building a routine, I cannot find a custom exercise option.

- A built-in timer would be really useful.

- It would be able to enter notes that relate to a given workout day. I like to be able to note down when I didn't do proper form or my general fatigue level after a few exercises.

Man, I'm going to miss these beginner gains. I've gone up on every workout I've done 3 times in a row. Well, except squats.

As far as tracking goes, I guess I'm just a sucker for a good mobile app interface.
All good. No such thing as sucker for a preferred method. I have friends in development that track their own TODO list in their heads but I need a ticket system for my worm. Everyone is different.

Same with squats. I have a friend that won't touch BB bench. Only dumbbells. He's an inch taller than me but arms 4" longer - a motherfucker to spar with. He needs the extra range of motion from using DBs otherwise his bench nopes the fuck out. Everyone has their shit lift. The unicorn. Bigfoot. Loch Ness. You only hear about people seeing them but you never do. I'm not an authority on that though - any number of reasons. Just keep your form in check and monitor.

I downloaded JeFit. This interface feels so clunky to me. I feel like they put so much beginner UI stuff that is getting in the way. I probably sound frustrated, but I just want the thing to just say "Make a workout routine, title it what you want, and add the exercises that you want". I'm having trouble seeing how to do that on this.

I dunno, I just clicked "workouts", "my workouts" and there's a button to make your own. It's a total of 3 steps lol

Or better yet, might as well follow Jacksinthe and use a spreadsheet and a stopwatch app if you don't want to struggle with any sort of interface.

Two Words

I dunno, I just clicked "workouts", "my workouts" and there's a button to make your own. It's a total of 3 steps lol

Or better yet, might as well follow Jacksinthe and use a spreadsheet and a stopwatch app if you don't want to struggle with any sort of interface.

Just checked and there is no "My workouts" button in the workouts section.

+ patience. Your body can only grow so much.
+1

I'll also add many people grow in spurts. Strength and size are not mutually exclusive. Plenty of times my weight stayed the same a few weeks, got stronger. Stayed the same strength levels for a few weeks, got bigger.

As long as you don't hit a plateau for extended lengths of time - it's all good.

If I plotted my gains on a chart over 50 weeks it wouldn't be linear - it would be an upward trend with zig-zags and flats thrown about, despite my consistency in diet+exercise.

Everyone is different. Just learn to read your body - it will let you know exactly what's going on.

Teggy

Woo! Glad it's working well for you :)

I'm very happy with it and purchased the full version. My only quibble with it is that my assistance exercises come up with a default rep number of 5 instead of something larger, but I have a feeling I just haven't bothered how to figure out how to do it.

Graphs that overlay multiple exercises would be cool too.

Teggy

- It seems like you cannot cancel out of creating a new routine once you've started it. There is a save and done option, but no cancel option. I had to either kill the app or save the routine and then delete it.

This is pretty minor because it's something you'd do rarely, but I believe this is correct

- When I select "add exercise" when I'm building a routine, I cannot find a custom exercise option.
There's a + sign in the top right of the screen

- A built-in timer would be really useful.
I assume you mean a rest timer? I'd second that. Total workout time is tracked, though.

- It would be able to enter notes that relate to a given workout day. I like to be able to note down when I didn't do proper form or my general fatigue level after a few exercises.
There is a notes section on the front page of every workout you start, however, there is a limitation for ABA BAB workouts like in the OP. You have to create 4 routines for easiest use. In my case this is

Bench/Row
Squat

Chin/ohp
Squat

Bench/Row
DL

Chin/ohp
DL

The notes displayed are for the last time you did that entire routine. So if you put down notes for Bench/Row on a squat day, those notes might not appear again for a while, because the next week your Bench/Row will coincide with deadlift.

Top Bottom