• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Faith, your gym looks so nice and it's always so quite/calm for your videos.

That's probably the best reason to against power cleans.

Potentially, this could have happened to you. Except the front version.

tumblr_n698gjdGOh1tawmaoo1_400.gif

Just so dumb. Filmer doesn't help when she obviously has stalled, and she's not in a cage with safety bars. That's how people get hurt :/

Kickz

Question gentlemen, I started doing Intermittant Fasting the past week. I am doing basically a 22hr fast daily, on mornings I just fill up on coffee and occasional stick of sugar-free gum. I am doing basically 500 cals below maintenance, using MyFitnessPal and also daily cardio/or Lifting. My question is if I hit about 130 ish grams of protein a day, does it matter if I largely eat fast food with in my calorie range?
Like say a Wendys triple and a cup of water? I do take vitamins/fish oil at night to balance things

So I've gained some fat (primarily around the waist) due to an unhealthy diet in the past (too much sugary drinks) and haven't maintained a consistent active lifestyle due to school & work.

I have gone to the gym and tried to maintain a healthy eating habit, but I just haven't been consistent. My goals are to slim down (get rid of the waist,cheek, and thigh fat), improve my cardio, and build more strength in my hands/wrist/forearms.

With regards to getting rid of the fat, I understand a healthy eating habit is important: I've abstained from drinking sugary drinks of any kind and focusing on water only, but there are still times when I get cravings for snacks (chocolates bars/chips) or fast food (burgers). I've tried to reduce the cravings by eating more healthy such as fruits, veggies, and salads, but it can be so tasteless at times.

With regards to exercising, I focused on doing runs in a local trail near my neighbourhood (it's not a daily run though, perhaps once or twice a week) I also do burpees, push-ups, squats, and dumbbell curls as well.

Am I on the right track for my fitness plan? Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

edit: For the record, I'd rather not go to the gym currently, and would rather focus on cardio (running around in local trails neighbourhoods/or focus on strength training that I can do at home. I have some dumbbells that I have been practising with.
For proper strength training you'll want access to free weights. If a gym is not in the stars for you then your DBs at home can suffice provided you at least have enough weight for proper progressive overload and a bench, at minimum.

As for food/fat loss - you're probably looking at it the wrong way. Cardio is fine but you will want to adjust your diet.

I know "eating healthy" is the goal but let me try to put it to you like this.

Say you cut out sugary drinks and you reduce your carb intake by 80 grams per day. You stated you try to get rid of hunger grumbles by eating more fruits and the like. If you replace 80 grams of carbs from sugary drinks with 80 grams of carbs from fruits - you've made zero progress and have achieved nothing but lateral movement in your diet. If you aren't keeping track of your calories and macros you could be consuming more calories than you were with sugary drinks. Calorie counting and consistency day to day is crucial for any goal.

You want to eat healthy foods, yes. But you want to maintain a proper calorie deficit and macronutrient profile to lose fat. Also don't think of wanting to lose fat in multiple places. You can either lose fat or not at all - there is no spot treatment.

Take a read of the OP under the nutrition section to get a better understanding of a proper calorie deficit for cutting fat. Read the lifting section for any strength goals you may have.

bchamba

I don't really blame anybody for that accident. She's using bumpers so she doesn't need a spot if she knows how to bail out. Just looks like a freak accident that her hair got caught around the bar. She'll probably always tie her hair up like she should have from now on.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay so due to some really crap timing on my behalf, I've been going on vacation for 2.5 weeks after only doing the Stronglifts routine for just 3 weeks. I did definitely start feeling progress in that time but considering the amount time off now, just wanted to ask:

Is alright if I just deload my weights by 50% when I get back or should I just restart altogether? I'm already assuming it's the latter.

I don't really blame anybody for that accident. She's using bumpers so she doesn't need a spot if she knows how to bail out. Just looks like a freak accident that her hair got caught around the bar. She'll probably always tie her hair up like she should have from now on.

Agreed that's how people bail out on failed squats at my gym but they have bumper plates.

Faith, your gym looks so nice and it's always so quite/calm for your videos.

Just so dumb. Filmer doesn't help when she obviously has stalled, and she's not in a cage with safety bars. That's how people get hurt :/
Yeah I have seen people squat in the open like that and I just don't get it when there's a cage nearby.

That way I never need a spot. The other day I did find myself struggling like that girl. I was down and up a few times until I finally got it up. Someone came over to help but was too slow. Thankfully he was too slow. I didn't want help.

Welp. No more chest infusion sets. Had to go back to midsection. Was replacing mine today and holy hell did I bleed when I pulled it out. Niagara Falls. I never bleed on my abdomen. Not a drop. Sigh. Will try another area next time so I can use a belt.

Szu

Welp. No more chest infusion sets. Had to go back to midsection. Was replacing mine today and holy hell did I bleed when I pulled it out. Niagara Falls. I never bleed on my abdomen. Not a drop. Sigh. Will try another area next time so I can use a belt.

32194-you-re-bleeding-i-ain-t-got-time-to-blee.gif

Granadier

Even so, it should be in a cage so that the barbell doesn't go rolling across the gym to potentially injure someone else.

LOL

Even so, it should be in a cage so that the barbell doesn't go rolling across the gym to potentially injure someone else.
At least we know the cameraman will stay focused on filming all of the destruction!

It's amazing watching some fail videos where you KNOW someone is about to snap their shit up and camera dude is like C'MON! YOU GOT THIS! When people are about to break their spine with piss poor form, jerking weights around, etc. Like, why the fuck aren't you telling people to stop, drop the weight or ANYTHING so they don't get hurt.

My favorite is watching some dude with a rounded back creep weight up you know is too heavy for him on a dead then when he finally steps it up to the top he bends backwards like he's about to walk under a limbo stick and everyone's like YEAH! SNAP SOMETHING! GOOD JOB BRO!

So...since March I've sucked at checking in here like I said I was going to. But I have continued lurking and watching everyone else's progress has definitely helped keep me motivated. It's a new month though, so I might as well post a progress report while I am thinking about it.

To summarize, I started doing Starting Strength back at the beginning of March. I didn't miss any workouts until mid-April when we went on a week-long vacation with no access to any strength equipment. I had so much fun that when we got back I had an awful time getting back into any semblance of a routine. It was late April before I got back on the wagon, but by then I had to dial back the weights a little. Since then I have missed a few workouts here and there, but have been mostly consistent.

3x5 Progress
Squat: 105lb -> 245 lb
Overhead Press: 45lb -> 90lb
Bench: 80lb -> 125lb
Deadlift: 165lb -> 275lb

5'11", 33 Years Old
Bodyweight: 232lb -> 240lb @ 30% bodyfat (a guess)

No idea what my 1RMs are, because I train in my garage by myself with some tiny ass squat stands, iron plates, and a cheap bench and don't want to push my luck.

I am extremely happy with my progress so far. My only hangup is my weight, since like everyone else I want to lose fat. I started out eating way too much and worked my way down to where I have been for awhile, which is 2400 calories a day @ 240/195/75 (P/C/F). My weight has stabilized at that intake and I even started to lose some weight, slowly, for a time. Then I went on vacation and wrecked everything during my 3 weeks away from the program and came back 5 lbs heavier. I am afraid to eat any less because the weights are getting pretty hard now, and I have even considered adding some carbs based on how gassed I've been during some workouts. But anyway, my primary goal is still to gain strength, and what I'm planning on doing is running linear progression until I stall out, then I'll cut and see where I'm at strength-wise after that.

I also recently bought a Prowler for HIIT. I'm starting out doing 7 rounds at 20s on / 140s off, once a week. Want to work up to twice a week, but holy hell once is enough right now, that thing murders me.

^^ Fine work. Them squat gains got me jelly.

Thanks! I started conservatively on squats because I was coming off of a strained back muscle, so the amount of progress there might be a little deceiving. I've felt like I am about to stall on squats for weeks, though. After my last squat set each workout I think to myself, "Nope, no way I can do +5lbs next time." But the bar keeps going up anyway. At this point I just assume that the "easy" gains are gone and I'll be grinding out reps from now on.

Szu

To be fair, here's the same woman recovering from her fail. The first two reps were identical in form. Her form starting degrading at the third rep. The fourth rep was actually helpful in that it forced her to reset for the last rep.

And she shortened her ponytail.

http://youtu.be/kFQ2NWfWGIU

To be fair, here's the same woman recovering from her fail. The first two reps were identical in form. Her form starting degrading at the third rep. The fourth rep was actually helpful in that it forced her to reset for the last rep.

And she shortened her ponytail.

http://youtu.be/kFQ2NWfWGIU

did she shorten it ord did the bar yank it off.

glad she learned from her mistakes though

demented

been progressing with heavy squatting and after last night's workout now little above right knee hurts :( not sore kind but not too sharp either, just when I move it certain ways. Gotta get the fucking form 100% every time, no messing about like I did in that 2nd set FFS

^^ More fine work. 200+ is a milestone, and you're 5 lbs away from two plates proper (if you're US, I don't know what the rest of the world uses).

Teggy

Hey man, I learned this week that 30% of women pee when they lift heavy. And sometimes they pee so hard it goes right to the floor when they are max repping. If they can work through that embarrassment you can spray blood all over the gym.

Cooper

Hey man, I learned this week that 30% of women pee when they lift heavy. And sometimes they pee so hard it goes right to the floor when they are max repping.

I do consider myself to be the peon of the thread, but not usually in this sense...

Granadier

Finding a gym (nearby) in Boston/Cambridge is proving a lot more difficult than I expected.
Good news though. I found those thinkThin delicious protein bars again. For some reason Target moved them from the supplement aisle to the granola/protein bar aisle.

---

Edit: so the gym back home that I had/have a membership for is giving me the ol bend over when it comes to cancelling my membership. (guy who signed me up promised there were Fitness Evolutions in Boston, turns out there's none.
yes, I should have looked myself before agreeing
)
Anyways, they want me to either be present in person to cancel or send in a bunch of information through the snail mail and wait for it to be processed. The won't accept cancellation over the phone. Is there anything I can do here to push back?

Hey man, I learned this week that 30% of women pee when they lift heavy. And sometimes they pee so hard it goes right to the floor when they are max repping. If they can work through that embarrassment you can spray blood all over the gym.
:|

:|

So I've been told that next week I can do some very light work in the gym... and that I've got to be EXTREMELY careful with my form.

Might start with even less than I'd originally planned to do.

goober

Alright guys I haven't been able to work out due to work and studying for my licensure exam. But now that all that's over with I can go back to gym-ing.

I've lost about ~4 or so pounds in the past month without exercising though. I didn't exercise, so I didn't eat as much. How much of that weight lost was muscle?

I was doing Stronglifts before my month break. I'm looking to move on to another program. I was looking at either PHUL or PPL. Any recommendations? Or should I stick with Stronglifts?

Any advice is appreciated.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
is it normal to have strength loss while on a cut?

not able to do the same deadlift numbers as before my cut

SeanR1221

Damn man. :/

Major respect you bust your ass lifting having to deal with all that.

So I've been told that next week I can do some very light work in the gym... and that I've got to be EXTREMELY careful with my form.

Might start with even less than I'd originally planned to do.
Just take it slow and easy. You'll get back in the game.

Damn man. :/

Major respect you bust your ass lifting having to deal with all that.
Thanks dude. It's all good. I just have to experiment a little bit. I have to find a place that won't get in the way between work and lifting and won't make me bleed out XD

sphinx

the piano man
is there any use for carbs for anyone that has aesthetics as a priority?

I don't mean it's ok to avoid carbs alltogether... it's just that almost everything carb-filled takes me a step further away from the beach body

bread specially, fuck bread.

but pasta, rice and potatoes aren't really that much better.

Ixian

Less than five pounds to lose until I break into the 140-149 weight range at 5'8. When I first started this journey at the beginning of the year, I was hoping to have my "rave body" in time for EDC, but that's in two weeks, so definitely not gonna happen, lol. Next big event after that is HARD Summer at the end of July but even that'll be iffy; I feel like I'm gonna need to get to 140 to be where I want to in terms of looks but it's so hard to gauge since I've never been this low before and the whole paper towel effect thing. :<

Teggy

Seems like cycling has sparked another set of noob gains in my arms, presumably from putting stress on them in ways I haven't been doing for the past year. I won't complain.

is there any use for carbs for anyone that has aesthetics as a priority?

I don't mean it's ok to avoid carbs alltogether... it's just that almost everything carb-filled takes me a step further away from the beach body

bread specially, fuck bread.

but pasta, rice and potatoes aren't really that much better.
If carbs are moving you away from your goal - rework the other macros.

If you are eating 0.8g protein per LB max and the rest of your macros are split with a total caloric intake of a deficit - that's all you need. Carbs arent the enemy. Your deficit might not be what regular calculations tell you. I have friends who can't eat more than 1800 calories just to maintain while I started my cut on 3k. Every metabolism is different. If you aren't moving towards your goals - I would listen to your body and adjust.

There are days where I shift calories from fat into carbs and vice versa. Heck, my best week on my cut (after the 1st week) was the week of my refeed.

What's your weight, macros, how much lifting, cardio, etc? Everything plays a part.

Teggy

What madness is this? T-Rex arms or nothing.

I'm amazed at the spindly arms on the pro riders. I imagine that this is because they don't work arms on purpose and they burn so many calories it's hard to put muscle on. Not sure how they balance that with wanting strong legs. I read an article about a velodrome rider who did a lot of leg work.

SeanR1221

Motherfuck.

I was stopped at a red light and a teen rear ended my car. Saw it coming and tensed up. Now my back feels tweaked. Fuck. I should be ok, but I want to take pre cautions

I'll skip squats tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. This is the third teen to hit me in 4 years.

It's only the sprinters and track riders that do any real degree of lifting. You look at the pro tour winners and most of them look like they've never done any exercise in their life... just maybe starved for some time before someone put them on a bike.

CF-e1436206022932-600x608.jpg

(Ironic really, given many of them used to take testosterone to help with recovery)

Teggy

It's only the sprinters and track riders that do any real degree of lifting. You look at the pro tour winners and most of them look like they've never done any exercise in their life... just maybe starved for some time before someone put them on a bike.

CF-e1436206022932-600x608.jpg

(Ironic really, given many of them used to take testosterone to help with recovery)

Well that's it, I'm not going to go pro ;)

The varicose veins some of them get are pretty nasty too.

Ixian

Motherfuck.

I was stopped at a red light and a teen rear ended my car. Saw it coming and tensed up. Now my back feels tweaked. Fuck. I should be ok, but I want to take pre cautions

I'll skip squats tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. This is the third teen to hit me in 4 years.
Shit man, sorry to hear that. Hope you get it checked out in case there's anything deeper that doesn't immediately reveal itself.

Motherfuck.

Yo :(

Sorry to hear this dude. Hope you will be OK and get the car fixed quick.

Having this happen 3 times in 4 years is crazy.

Top Bottom