• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

SeanR1221

I just don't see waiting a few extra minutes to start my workout as a compromise to my workout. If he had taken a long time, I would have them asked him if I could work in with him. It isn't even mostly about me being concerned about what I would say. I just wanted to work with it alone and was willing to wait to start my workout a few minutes longer to have it that way. I still think the bigger issue is me posting on GAF. I've let it become a distraction for me at the gym.

I do. I don't have time to stand there and wait for others to be done so I can't have something all to myself. But to each his own

Man, I should stay off of GAF when I'm at the gym. I saw the squat rack was free and stopped to write a post. Turn back around and now it is taken up.
Any time you see the Squat rack open you RUN TO THAT MOTHERFUCKER AND PLANT YOUR FLAG! EVEN ON CHEST DAY - DROP WHAT YOURE DOING AND SQUAT!

Ok not like that but yeah - nab it up fast!

Also:

The dude threw on a couple of 45s and 25s on the barbell. I'm not about to have him remove them all so I can do my naked barbell squats, lol.

On the bright side, my form on my squats felt a lot better. I still bend forward more than people say I should, but I felt in total control now. Before, I felt like my whole body was in a vice when I squatted. Now it felt like how an exercise typically feels. I'll start moving up on weights now.
If you felt uncomfortable asking to work in and wanted to do squats - you can still practice with goblet squats since you still have issues with keeping the chest up. Grab a 30, 40, 50lb dumbbell and squat. The weight is in front of you so that will help train you from bending forward and build muscle memory.

You can even do this as a warmup to get your sitting form down before you squat. I do this regularly, among other interim exercises to grease the groove on my squat on non-squat days and warmups.

I do similar exercises to help maintain better form on deads, too. Just pulling myself down and floating the bar. Ever since Brolic posted that dead video a while back I've been just simply setting up to release the slack about twice a week. Really helped me setup faster and more efficiently on deads day. Increased how much I can lift with deads, too. The setup is a huuuuge part. Little things here and there lead to better results down the line.

Goblet squats can do the same for you. They did and still do for me.

I'd talk to your doctor about how you can strengthen and improve your situation.

You could try very isolated bench pressing. Get a spotter and go from your chest and up 2-3 inches. You'll be engaging your chest and hardly your triceps. Have the spotter help you rack the weight.
That's just what came to mind.

It's been 5 years since the surgery. I am not sure if it's ever going to be better. I've had extensive physical therapy and got the full range of movement back, but had to give up after a while on getting the strength back as I saw little benefit.

I'll push my max, and then my arm is toast. It just won't let me hold my body weight or bend. It feels like a tennis elbow almost.
Surgeon said it was scar tissue that is causing me pain, as well as nerve endings that have rewired themselves in correctly. So I have a combination of over and under sensitivity.
I just find it so difficult to bite through core exercises like pushups (its the classic over them all) and it results in poor form.

Chest is a squeeze type muscle. The press works the lever portion of your upper arm to squeeze the pec in a typical bench press.

Knowing this - dumbbell flyes, cable crossovers, chest flye machine, etc - will work the chest.

You can also try dumbbells as it gives a greater range of motion on bench press, not locking your hands into position - allowing more movement in the elbow/shoulder - this may lighten the load on your tris but usually not since DBs require more recruitment for stability but you may find a ROM that's cross between a fly and press that alleviates the pain associated with your injury.

Thanks!

Right. It was your first exercise (as squats should be) and now you had to wait, compromising your workout.

The vast majority of people won't mind you working in. What if he took 45 minutes on the rack? Would you just leave?

Hah yup. At my old gym there was one squat rack. On top of that I had to move the entire barbell down for my wife. We never had a problem squatting together and unloading the plates

I mind

mdsfx

If I see someone eyeing my equipment I will proactively ask them if they want to jump in between sets. I mean, I'm not doing shit during my rest, so why the hell not? Plus, they tend to return the favor when the tables are turned.

giphy.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I could probably pay the expensive gym membership with all this money I'm spending on stupid food eating out.

bchamba

This week worked up to a 310 bench for a double and a 405 squat for a single. Gonna deload and test my maxes next week. Think I'll finally hit a 3 plate bench, 5 plate dead and 10-20 more lbs on squats.

BumRush

If I see someone eyeing my equipment I will proactively ask them if they want to jump in between sets. I mean, I'm not doing shit during my rest, so why the hell not? Plus, they tend to return the favor when the tables are turned.

Samesies

Two Words

I'm gaining weight in a way that doesn't really make sense when I look at my diet. I've heard that creatine makes you retain water a lot more. Would this explain weight gains? Some of it is probably muscle gains, but it's too soon for it to be anything significant.

BumRush

I'm gaining weight in a way that doesn't really make sense when I look at my diet. I've heard that creatine makes you retain water a lot more. Would this explain weight gains? Some of it is probably muscle gains, but it's too soon for it to be anything significant.

Look in the mirror. Do you look puffy? If yes, probably water weight.

BumRush

Is creatine something that you should stop taking if trying to lean out?

I'm not sure I'd stop. It'll help you maintain mass from lifting heavy and the "weight" you're putting on is pretty much just water.

How would you discern between puffy and bigger?

Puffy would be all over. Your arms will look like you filled the skin up with water, for example (if that makes sense)

Granadier

How would you discern between puffy and bigger?

If you can push on a "puffy" spot and it doesn't rebound right away like normal, then you have water retention.

I had this happen before. It's uncomfortable, but will go away in a day or two if you hold off on lifting.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but do any of you have experience with the Starting Strength app? It's only $8, but I want to see if there is something better for a (relative) beginner.

Granadier

You could, but a lot of that information is freely available. (YouTube videos, etc.)

The water bloat from Creatine is a myth thanks to double blind testing done with placebo - nobody retains the extra water with pure micronized creatine monohydrate. If you buy from a so-so name you will probably be getting sodium in your creatine as filler. Most pill or chewable form creatine contains a lot of filler and probably sodium. Buy powder only.

Buy from a reputable source like BulkSupplements on Amazon or anything with Creapure creatine - as that is one of the best forms.

Is creatine something that you should stop taking if trying to lean out?
No.

Edit: also, Creatine Monohydrate is still the best form. It's also cheapest. All the designer creatine out there sold in different mixtures or "you need THIS type of creatine, bro!" Is just broscience.

Plain old Monohydrate, preferably micronized for easier mixing and less sinking in drinks.

Edit 2: I researched my ass off since I take multiple meds a day - had to quadruple check for any interactions with my meds and diseases but still do your own digging. I'm not sure much changed since I started taking it tho. Shit has been around for decades and is one of the most widely studied supplements.

Granadier

Did not know about the sodium filler thing. Now that I think about it, when my arms puffed up it was while taking really shitty creatine. Haven't had that issue with pure.

Did not know about the sodium filler thing. Now that I think about it, when my arms puffed up it was while taking really shitty creatine. Haven't had that issue with pure.

The pills I am using don't have sodium listed in the nutritional content.
It won't be listed since it's not supposed to be there.

Synthetic creatine is made from something called sarcosine or its salts (a different compound).

If purification doesn't completely separate the Creatine crystals from the sarcosine and it's sodium friends - you will have shitty creatine that contains a lot of sodium and not lots of actual creatine.

Switch up to something with Creature like Optimum Nutrition's brand or find a lab-tested creatine like BulkSupplements.

Edit: nutrition labels can be VERY off - especially when it comes to fitness supplements. As I posted in OT about Kirkland protein bars - fillers are used to trigger basic amino profiles of protein. Taurine is a popular filler in protein powder and bars. Without looking at the actual amino profiles and looking for branch chains - pretty much every protein will pass with flying colors. Once you dive into them further, you can see that some brands are as low as 20% of advertised protein content.

Buy from reputable sources and if possible, get lab results - many of them are a Google search away. A lot is hidden by nutrition labels on supplements. Take none of them at face value.

The pills I'm using actually are Optimum Nutrition, lol.
They might be fine. They might have filler. They might suck.

The only tests I have seen are from powders.

If they are solid pills, they contain filler. If they are clear gelcaps, probably not. I've never used them.

Optimum is reputable. Their advertised creatine tests are always on point. That doesn't mean there isn't any sodium. It just means that their advertised creatine amount checks out.

I know nothing of their pills tho.

The pills are the capsule kind with powder inside them.
They might be fine. I don't know. Their powder checks out for creatine content - but again - noting the process I said earlier, doesn't mean sodium isn't present - it just means the tests of their powder check out for creatine content.

Others have stated signs to look out for with fat vs water.

Like I always say - listen to your body. It'll never lie to you when you pay close attention.

14.8 lbs in 6 weeks.

Only 1 week I went as low as 2500 calories.

I'm jumping back up to 2800. I've got plenty of wiggle room and time left on my cut. 12 more pounds to get to my starting weight.

I look different tho. So that's good. I feel skinny as shit at 210 now but I want to see how low I can go. Abs are popping in the right lighting, especially when I do OHP and Deads. Still not there yet, though.

Going to add in another refeed today. I have room for it.

mdsfx

I did 1000-calorie defecit for most of the week. I did not find that easy! Not sure how some of you guys do it.

Also took an honest pic not flexing, no pump. I feel like always posting post-workout, flexing shots makes me feel like shit when I see myself standing relaxed in a mirror. I also always wonder what people on IG might look like relaxed.

SeanR1221

14.8 lbs in 6 weeks.

Only 1 week I went as low as 2500 calories.

I'm jumping back up to 2800. I've got plenty of wiggle room and time left on my cut. 12 more pounds to get to my starting weight.

I look different tho. So that's good. I feel skinny as shit at 210 now but I want to see how low I can go. Abs are popping in the right lighting, especially when I do OHP and Deads. Still not there yet, though.

Going to add in another refeed today. I have room for it.

Heh, thats the train I got on. How low can I go. Nice work man!

I did 1000-calorie defecit for most of the week. I did not find that easy! Not sure how some of you guys do it.

Also took an honest pic not flexing, no pump. I feel like always posting post-workout, flexing shots makes me feel like shit when I see myself standing relaxed in a mirror. I also always wonder what people on IG might look like relaxed.

You look great in both! :)

speaking of eating.

I had this for dinner yesterday...

And then this after

My weight? Still 178. Weight you so crazy.

Going to try some light deadlifting and see how I feel. I didn't wake up sore this morning. Car accident be damed, this body was built by sushi and doughnuts!

mdsfx

Thanks Sean!

Also, OMFG that sushi looks amazing. Same goes for those seemingly gigantic donuts. Ugh... Now I'm starving.

That sushi cross reminds me of Castlevania cross alt weapon.

If I open my mouth wide enough you should be able to throw it right in although I don't think you'll get it back XD

SeanR1221

Yeah everything tasted great. My wife didn't get off of work until late but you can still find some hidden gems in the philly burbs.

Two Words

Any time you see the Squat rack open you RUN TO THAT MOTHERFUCKER AND PLANT YOUR FLAG! EVEN ON CHEST DAY - DROP WHAT YOURE DOING AND SQUAT!

Ok not like that but yeah - nab it up fast!

Also:

If you felt uncomfortable asking to work in and wanted to do squats - you can still practice with goblet squats since you still have issues with keeping the chest up. Grab a 30, 40, 50lb dumbbell and squat. The weight is in front of you so that will help train you from bending forward and build muscle memory.

You can even do this as a warmup to get your sitting form down before you squat. I do this regularly, among other interim exercises to grease the groove on my squat on non-squat days and warmups.

I do similar exercises to help maintain better form on deads, too. Just pulling myself down and floating the bar. Ever since Brolic posted that dead video a while back I've been just simply setting up to release the slack about twice a week. Really helped me setup faster and more efficiently on deads day. Increased how much I can lift with deads, too. The setup is a huuuuge part. Little things here and there lead to better results down the line.

Goblet squats can do the same for you. They did and still do for me.
Missed this yesterday. I'll try doing these squats next time. I guess I'm using pretty light weights right now so it shouldn't be a problem for my arms to hold up the weight.

Two Words

I have a friend that is trying to lose weight, but he's concerned that he's going to have loose skin. He's not really that big, so I don't think it will be a problem though. If you're in a kinda fat but nowhere near obese range, it shouldn't be a problem right?

I was deadlifting today and had a scary moment. About when I started my lift, I got incredibly light headed. I finished the rep but I was really disoriented afterwards. I immediately pulled the plates off and moved on. I get light headed sometimes on heavy lifts but this was really intense. It was like I blacked out.

theytookourjobz

I was deadlifting today and had a scary moment. About when I started my lift, I got incredibly light headed. I finished the rep but I was really disoriented afterwards. I immediately pulled the plates off and moved on. I get light headed sometimes on heavy lifts but this was really intense. It was like I blacked out.

First time I deadlifted 300, I took a seat on a nearby bench for about 10 minutes. I pictured myself ending up diving into the dumbbell rack like that tosh.0 video.

So I lift in my garage and it's a humid 92 today here in central NC. It's like I've activated hard mode or something, everything feels 10lbs heavier and I am about to die after doing each set of squats.

Yeah I'm sure it does. I'm resting inside in between work sets, so that helps.
Working in the heat sucks.

Going from hot to cold to hot to cold to hot will sap you worse than just staying in the heat, especially during training.

If you need to, rest between exercises, not sets. Don't make it a short rest, take 10 or 15 minites and hydrate.

blackflag

Well the weather is making it easy to decide whether to go mountain biking or lift today

It's 117 fml.

Guess I'll start chest day early this week.

Gonna see if I can still bench 415 today. Haven't tried it in a couple months but I still bench 365 weekly with no spotter.

Recent pic since I haven't posted here in so long. Need to find more motivation. I have still been lifting but with injuries and other shit it hasn't been daily until last week.

Two Words

Well the weather is making it easy to decide whether to go mountain biking or lift today

It's 117 fml.

Gonna see if I can still bench 415 today. Haven't tried it in a couple months but I still bench 365 weekly with no spotter.

Recent pic since I haven't posted here in so long. Need to find more motivation. I have still been lifting but with injuries and other shit it hasn't been daily until last week.
Damn it blackflag. Have you been dropping the weights again?

SeanR1221

It's 117 fml.

Looking great! How much are you weighing these days?

Top Bottom