• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

So is 5x5 optimal for not just strength, but building muscle, or am I better trying 3x8 for building muscle? I do only compound lifts and I've definitely got stronger from 5x5, but not much size from what I've noticed since trying it.

Thanks.

BumRush

Motherfuck.

I was stopped at a red light and a teen rear ended my car. Saw it coming and tensed up. Now my back feels tweaked. Fuck. I should be ok, but I want to take pre cautions

I'll skip squats tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. This is the third teen to hit me in 4 years.

Dude. Fuck...glad you're okay as it could have been worse. Was the teen texting?

SeanR1221

Shit man, sorry to hear that. Hope you get it checked out in case there's anything deeper that doesn't immediately reveal itself.

Yo :(

Sorry to hear this dude. Hope you will be OK and get the car fixed quick.

Having this happen 3 times in 4 years is crazy.

Dude. Fuck...glad you're okay as it could have been worse. Was the teen texting?

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I know a couple days rest is good for me, but its just more annoying than anything. And having to bring my car to the shop AGAIN and Im sure getting a rental car is a nuisance.

Im sure she was texting, Bum :/ It was on a big open road, no curves, and I was stopped for a few seconds (i never slam on my brakes)

BumRush

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I know a couple days rest is good for me, but its just more annoying than anything. And having to bring my car to the shop AGAIN and Im sure getting a rental car is a nuisance.

Im sure she was texting, Bum :/ It was on a big open road, no curves, and I was stopped for a few seconds (i never slam on my brakes)

The texting while driving shit is an epidemic with teens. It's so infuriating. I'll text my wife at a red light to say "grabbing milk and 14 quest bars. What else?" but they'll text going 70.

blackflag

What's up fellas. How is everyone?

Damn Shaun sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it's just a little tweak and it'll be fine next session.

mdsfx

So sick of chasing low BF%. Seriously done with this crap. There is no happiness here.

Tomorrow is national donut day. I'm taking part...a few times over.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Motherfuck.

I was stopped at a red light and a teen rear ended my car. Saw it coming and tensed up. Now my back feels tweaked. Fuck. I should be ok, but I want to take pre cautions

I'll skip squats tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. This is the third teen to hit me in 4 years.

Hope you recover soon. I was rear ended years ago and got a shock down my spine from the impact. It took several weeks for the nerve pain to go away... :/

My girl and I did some cleans on the minute today. I went from 155-272 for a new best and she went from 85-190 for a new pr too. She strong!

https://youtu.be/4w272PEmiLg

What does cleans on the minute mean?

But that's some good weight for the both of you, two!

So sick of chasing low BF%. Seriously done with this crap. There is no happiness here.

Tomorrow is national donut day. I'm taking part...a few times over.

Unless you're competing, lifting and training should be about making your life more enjoyable.

-Better sleep
-Better looks
-Better energy levels
etc.

Making yourself miserable by depriving yourself of some of your favorite foods just isn't always worth it.

Hell, I work pretty hard in the gym but still eat almost everything I want. I don't usually crave bad food, though. Balance makes me happier.

KillerBEA

So is 5x5 optimal for not just strength, but building muscle, or am I better trying 3x8 for building muscle? I do only compound lifts and I've definitely got stronger from 5x5, but not much size from what I've noticed since trying it.

Thanks.
At some point (different for everone) the volume required to get stronger and grow muscle increases to the point that super linear progression stops working. 5 reps is just best mix of strength and size training
Try doing some sets each session in a more hypertrophy focused range 8-12 as well some in more strength focused ranges 2-6.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
For myself, I've had fairly good results from a 10 - 8 - 6 rep goal for each lift.

Faith

Mix it up.

I'm doing 3-8 reps for bench press, OHP, squats and deadlifts. 8-12 reps for other compound exercises or assistance (like pull ups, rowing, incline bench press, dips, leg press) and 10-15 reps for isolation work (like lateral rises, butterfly, leg extensions, leg curls).

There is no hypertrophy rep range. Total volume is the key. Read this: http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

KillerBEA

Mix it up.

I'm doing 3-8 reps for bench press, OHP, squats and deadlifts. 8-12 reps for other compound exercises or assistance (like pull ups, rowing, incline bench press, dips, leg press) and 10-15 reps for isolation work (like lateral rises, butterfly, leg extensions, leg curls).

There is no hypertrophy rep range. Total volume is the key. Read this: http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/
This is true but the simplest way to add time under tension is by adding more reps or by slowing down/pausing reps.

Reps are just an overly simplified way of expressing time under tension.

KillerBEA

More time under tension = more muscle fiber breakdown. Which translates to more muscle growth. Volume training simply assumes that each clean rep takes about 4 seconds so by adding another rep you add about 4 seconds to the time under tension for the muses being worked. Of course applicable weight for the individuals current strength matters as a 200 lbs squat is much more stressful for my muscles than it is for someone else who can squat 500 lbs. Providing a different level of stimulus.

Edit: My main Anytime Fitness just got a bunch of new equipment. Most notably a prowler sled and resistance bands. Had some fun with the prowler after squats.

Szu

Well, minor progress report. Last night, I did squats after a month long injury hiatus. Actually, I tried it last week, but I felt some back pain after a warmup with the bar. I wasn't taking any chances last week.

Last night, I warmed up, stretched, and rolled for about half an hour before I even attempted. Bar squats felt fine. I added some weight, but I kept it very light. I did paused squats to really let the weight sink in. At the end of it, I felt great.

I'm on my way back.

Granadier

Every gym here I've looked at is $75-$125/mo, wtf

Hopefully my work will have a compensation plan.

Post-workout I walk into my office and I'm greeted by a donut with fucking bacon on it.

It was back day. I deadlifted hard. I don't feel guilty about having 1/4 of said donut. I'll just keep telling myself that, too.

A local Lifetime Fitness I visited wanted ~$280 per month for a family of 5 (180 single). F that.

I'll stick to Anytime at $38/month for just myself.

KillerBEA

Where are you located?
125 a month is cross fit prices or something extra premium.
I think he said he is in the Boston area

A local Lifetime Fitness I visited wanted ~$280 per month for a family of 5 (180 single). F that.

I'll stick to Anytime at $38/month for just myself.

I pay $40ish for Anytime Fitness and with them constantly adding new things and having access to every location definitely makes that price point a bargain.

$180 for a single person is a fucking rip off

Granadier

Just seeing that you're based in Boston...I feel you. I go to BSC, and get a work discount. Shit is real out here, but...it's Boston.

I just walked past a BSC when I was downtown. Their prices are much more reasonable compared to what I've seen so far. They might be my ticket.

On Monday I'll be able to find out if my work covers the membership and if so, what gyms they cover.

Where are you located?
125 a month is cross fit prices or something extra premium.

I think he said he is in the Boston area

Yeah, Boston. The lowest I've seen is Planet Fitness. There's a nice gym in Central Square that's wanting around 70/mo, and the 125 number was from MIT's gym for non-student pricing.

I just walked past a BSC when I was downtown. Their prices are much more reasonable compared to what I've seen so far. They might be my ticket.

On Monday I'll be able to find out if my work covers the membership and if so, what gyms they cover.

Definitely worth looking into. They have weird plans for things, like being able to access multiple locations, but definitely have a look inside them before committing. The South Station location can get a little cramped.

Granadier

Definitely worth looking into. They have weird plans for things, like being able to access multiple locations, but definitely have a look inside them before committing. The South Station location can get a little cramped.

There plans are definitely odd. The one year commitment is very close to what I paid back in MN, but I'm not 100% sure I will be here for a whole year. I'd have to go month to month. Still $45/mo is a lot less than the $74/mo that this VIM Fitness place charges. (although VIM fitness looks really nice, and they have a dedicated weight lifting location in Central Square. just one stop from me on the red)

There plans are definitely odd. The one year commitment is very close to what I paid back in MN, but I'm not 100% sure I will be here for a whole year. I'd have to go month to month. Still $45/mo is a lot less than the $74/mo that this VIM Fitness place charges. (although VIM fitness looks really nice, and they have a dedicated weight lifting location in Central Square. just one stop from me on the red)

That's not bad at all. They've offered my office group rates (get like 10 new signups or something) and we all pay $50/mo.

I need help.
I have a chronic injury in my left arm. I have a metal plate on the upper tricep bone. The surgery cut so many nerve endings that it doesn't take a lot for me to feel pain.
So when I do pushups I'm not getting anywhere. I just fatigue and no matter what I do I cannot move past 20-30 pushups.

I want to train my chest, but my left arms tricep fucks with me.
Does anyone know of some body work exercises that trains the chest that doesn't involve pushing or pulling with the arms?

I've heard someone say that the abwheel has variations that also trains the chest, but I have no idea if that is true, and a google search didnt show any good specifics.
I've also heard people talk about plank. But I hate planking. Planking is boring and hard because you stand there. its somehow more psychologically tougher to just count instead of doing something.

I need help.
I have a chronic injury in my left arm. I have a metal plate on the upper tricep bone. The surgery cut so many nerve endings that it doesn't take a lot for me to feel pain.
So when I do pushups I'm not getting anywhere. I just fatigue and no matter what I do I cannot move past 20-30 pushups.

Does anyone know of some body work exercises that trains the chest that doesn't involve pushing or pulling with the arms?

I've heard someone say that the abwheel has variations that also trains the chest, but I have no idea if that is true, and a google search didnt show any good specifics.
I've also heard people talk about plank. But I hate planking. Planking is boring and hard because you stand there. its somehow more psychologically tougher to just count instead of doing something.

I'd talk to your doctor about how you can strengthen and improve your situation.

You could try very isolated bench pressing. Get a spotter and go from your chest and up 2-3 inches. You'll be engaging your chest and hardly your triceps. Have the spotter help you rack the weight.
That's just what came to mind.

I need help.

Chest is a squeeze type muscle. The press works the lever portion of your upper arm to squeeze the pec in a typical bench press.

Knowing this - dumbbell flyes, cable crossovers, chest flye machine, etc - will work the chest.

You can also try dumbbells as it gives a greater range of motion on bench press, not locking your hands into position - allowing more movement in the elbow/shoulder - this may lighten the load on your tris but usually not since DBs require more recruitment for stability but you may find a ROM that's cross between a fly and press that alleviates the pain associated with your injury.

there's between my shoulder blades closer to the right one that needs a good foam rolling there. oddly into hearing the cracking/popping sounds lol

Two Words

Man, I should stay off of GAF when I'm at the gym. I saw the squat rack was free and stopped to write a post. Turn back around and now it is taken up.

SeanR1221

What's up fellas. How is everyone?

Damn Shaun sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it's just a little tweak and it'll be fine next session.

Fingers crossed. What have you been up to man?

Hope you recover soon. I was rear ended years ago and got a shock down my spine from the impact. It took several weeks for the nerve pain to go away... :/

I'm hoping its minor. I'm definitely sore but not an uncomfortable amount :/

Man, I should stay off of GAF when I'm at the gym. I saw the squat rack was free and stopped to write a post. Turn back around and now it is taken up.

"Hey can I work in"

Two Words

"Hey can I work in"
The dude threw on a couple of 45s and 25s on the barbell. I'm not about to have him remove them all so I can do my naked barbell squats, lol.

On the bright side, my form on my squats felt a lot better. I still bend forward more than people say I should, but I felt in total control now. Before, I felt like my whole body was in a vice when I squatted. Now it felt like how an exercise typically feels. I'll start moving up on weights now.

SeanR1221

The dude threw on a couple of 45s and 25s on the barbell. I'm not about to have him remove them all so I can do my naked barbell squats, lol.

On the bright side, my form on my squats felt a lot better. I still bend forward more than people say I should, but I felt in total control now. Before, I felt like my whole body was in a vice when I squatted. Now it felt like how an exercise typically feels. I'll start moving up on weights now.

So? Never compromise your workout for someone else. With you both working together it literally takes seconds to change the barbell setup.

Two Words

So? Never compromise your workout for someone else. With you both working together it literally takes seconds to change the barbell setup.
It was my first work out, so it's not like it was messing up any sort of timing. I'd prefer to just wait a few minutes and have it to myself. I was kicking myself more for posting on GAF and giving somebody the opportunity to take it.

SeanR1221

It was my first work out, so it's not like it was messing up any sort of timing. I'd prefer to just wait a few minutes and have it to myself. I was kicking myself more for posting on GAF and giving somebody the opportunity to take it.

Right. It was your first exercise (as squats should be) and now you had to wait, compromising your workout.

The vast majority of people won't mind you working in. What if he took 45 minutes on the rack? Would you just leave?

Yup, and you get an extra little forearm exercise. :D

Hah yup. At my old gym there was one squat rack. On top of that I had to move the entire barbell down for my wife. We never had a problem squatting together and unloading the plates

Two Words

Right. It was your first exercise (as squats should be) and now you had to wait, compromising your workout.

The vast majority of people won't mind you working in. What if he took 45 minutes on the rack? Would you just leave?

Hah yup. At my old gym there was one squat rack. On top of that I had to move the entire barbell down for my wife. We never had a problem squatting together and unloading the plates
I just don't see waiting a few extra minutes to start my workout as a compromise to my workout. If he had taken a long time, I would have them asked him if I could work in with him. It isn't even mostly about me being concerned about what he would say. I just wanted to work with it alone and was willing to wait to start my workout a few minutes longer to have it that way. I still think the bigger issue is me posting on GAF. I've let it become a distraction for me at the gym.

Faith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jajozbWpj3I

yt2goe8.jpg

Lower body workout with 1RM testing and 5x5 squats. Did:

1x 190kg
5/5/5/5/5x 152.5kg

Road to 220kg :D

Top Bottom