• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida teens who recorded drowning man will not be charged in his death

I draw the line at the call to arms against the kids. The situation makes me angry but the fact of the matter is that as kids I don't hold them responsible. I wish they would have helped in some way without putting themselves in danger and it distresses me that they laughed and taunted the man as they drowned but the real problem is the law. I wish they would have called and there was something in place to promote that instead of recording and taunting the man but that probably wouldn't have saved him. Ugh. This situation is just so damb ugly...

why would they call though?

they've seen what can happen when you call 911.

Didn't one kid confess? I can't access the link from my end.

Confess? To being the one filming? or the "leader" comment? In pretty much any group there is an influencer that others take cues from especially with kids. So my theory is, this influencer was the one that decided they should just film and taunt this guy and the others fell in line.

why would they call though?

they've seen what can happen when you call 911.

Yup. So standing there mocking and letting the guy die is the better option? Atleast calling 911 would show some integrity and humanity.

Or if they were going to let the guy die and not be involved, the "smarter" thing to do is not record it at all and walk away. (NOT ADVOCATING THIS)

They wanted their 15 mins of fame by recording and posting it.

People inferred it from the audio content part of the video(hthat is not completely available depending on websites relating the news).

So yeah. I'm not directing this at you, but this thread is no longer discussing the actual topic but a make-believe version of it.

The crime they are being charged with is a misdemeanor, they'll get like a months probation at worst and likely get off with just some community service.

The whole situation was disturbing, and i really hope the kids grow out of this. By the sounds of it, at least one did realize after the fact.

Hydrus

and people still buy lotto tickets.

Ok, this gaf privilege of yours is getting out of hand. And by privilege I mean walking into a thread using the race card to start shit in a thread that has nothing to do with it, and then derailing it. This happens way too much on gaf by you. It's pretty obvious your a troll. If this was anyone else posting similar things as you, they would of been ban long ago. You have no sympathy for the man who lost his life or his family that now have to live with the fact his death can be viewed by millions of internet douche bags, who will turn his tragic death into a meme. Please just stop posting in this thread if your not gonna stick to the topic. If your so outraged that people are angry at a bunch of idiots (who just happen to be black) that mocked a ( black) mans death and refused to help him, and think its unfair, then make a new thread so people can discuss your views, instead of coming in here with your drive-by trolling.

Boss Mog

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people in here are defending these guys , but you can bet your bottom dollar that if the guys that did nothing and mocked a drowning black man were white the people doing the defending would suddenly be seeking justice.

Scum is scum, race has no bearing on that. And if you if you let a drowning man die while laughing and mocking him then you are scum, period.

rjinaz

Boss★Moogle;244288950 said:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people in here are defending these guys , but you can bet your bottom dollar that if the guys that did nothing and mocked a drowning black man were white the people doing the defending would suddenly be seeking justice.

Scum is scum, race has no bearing on that. And if you if you let a drowning man die while laughing and mocking him then you are scum, period.

I think that's fair honestly. But also consider the same thing works in reverse. If it were White kids, suddenly people that have no sympathy for the boys might find some.

Just thought I should point that out, but regardless, I'm not sure how anybody can have sympathy for this group especially considering they are going to walk away mostly scot-free and causing a lot of emotional duress for this family when they video taped it and shared it.

____

As an update, they are now likely facing misdemeanor charges for failing to report a death. Will post link later but I'm on mobile.

Izayoi

Banned
As an update, they are now likely facing misdemeanor charges for failing to report a death. Will post link later but I'm on mobile.
Thanks for letting us know.

In other news, I think it's time to remove Florida from existence.

Top Bottom