• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida teens who recorded drowning man will not be charged in his death

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
these children should be tried as adults and sentenced as adults. actually, tried as elderly adults and sentenced as elderly adults.

If you make the decision to record tragedies vs assisting in preventing them or help someone in need, you should be tried for it.

That shit is disgusting, cruel, and beyond unacceptable.

Sean C

If you make the decision to record tragedies vs assisting in preventing them or help someone in need, you should be tried for it.
Tried for what? Again, you don't have a legal obligation to help other people. That is a centuries-old standard in both criminal and civil law.

Boney

Banned
By the title i thought it'd be a river with a fairly strong current and the kids just filming. The actual story is horrifying. Just a pond and they taunting with no remorse even after the man died is just revolting. Considering he allegedly fought with his fiancée and mother, there's a chance he could've been intoxicated, which makes it all more tragic. I'd wonder if one could argue that the taunts could've lead the man to struggle more as a way to indict them on manslaughter or something. There's places that have "good samaritan" laws right?

Edit: I see Good Samaritan is so you can't get sued for trying to help?

Sean C

Yes, that's the idea. As long as you made a good faith effort and had some reasonable belief that the aid being provided was within your capabilities, you're generally protected.

It has nothing to do with requiring people to provide assistance. I don't know of any jurisdiction that does that, in fact, because it's generally held to be an unworkable standard to impose (and highly dubious from a liberty perspective).

zeroOman

I understand that this a sad and angry situation where someone could have easily have helped the man or called emergency responders and yes he the bystander should have helped, but I don't think making something like this a law would help the situation at all, unless it is worded carefully. The reason I mentioned this is because in psychology, there is a phenomenon called the bystander effect.

Here is a link for an explanation of the phenomenon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

The problem is that if there was a law in place to arrest people for not helping a person in a life threatening situation, many people would be arrested during one incident. They would need to carefully word everything to keep this thing from happening to people that can't really help how social interaction works.

Now, I know this wouldn't effect this case at all, but in future cases where multiple people watch an incident happen, it would be hard to arrest multiple people knowing this phenomenon happens every day.

no one is saying jump to building on fire.... the man was drowning.

Reading some of the articles, the guy drove up to this pond and started walking into it with clothes on, and then they started to yell at him to get out, then it went really dark. (They say he was disabled, he looked fit).

Police chief said one kid felt remorse after it hit him, he said he is trying to find someone to help him through what happened.

I want to think the other boys are trying to act hard like it don't phase them but are disturbed after the fact, at that age your brain is not fully formed right?

In my thinking, they thought he was somehow going to get out alive.

It's fucked up they laughed and did not call for help but the way they react, as young as they are they probably thought dude was going to come out of it.

I'm divorcing myself as much from emotion as I can to make sense of this.

Aytumious

Banned
Am I wrong for hoping that someone will release their name and address?

I'd say yes since they are between the ages of 14 and 16. It is possible that they are just extremely desensitized teenage cunts that could grow out of it as they leave their teenage bubble. It is also possible one of them is a sociopathic ringleader type and the others will be okay if they get out of his influence.

What they did was morally reprehensible, but I don't think their names need to be associated with this forever given their age. I'm sure locally everyone will know who they are.

How the fuck do people turn out like this? What series of failings lead to disgusting humans like this?

Youtube culture I'd say. I mean, you have people with millions of followers saying horrible things about women, jews, black people and they face no consequences for their horrible behaviour; they probably thought it was totally acceptable to record a person dying in front of them.

hokahey

Youtube culture I'd say. I mean, you have people with millions of followers saying horrible things about women, jews, black people and they face no consequences for their horrible behaviour; they probably thought it was totally acceptable to record a person dying in front of them.

This is nonsense. Proper parenting always outweighs media influence. You sound like several generations of conservative types blaming that damn rock and roll/rap/elvis what have you.

Constantly model love, empathy, charity and decency to your children and the result is always positive. And it's a result that fucking Youtube can't break.

Even if there's not a law about 'filming a dying person who needs help and laughing about it' there has to be some authority figure who can lay a fucking smack down into those shits for their disgusting immoral behavior.

Hope the internet finds out who they are and tears them limb from limb.

Absolutely gross. Hope they get what's coming to them. This is infuriating.

This is nonsense. Proper parenting always outweighs media influence. You sound like several generations of conservative types blaming that damn rock and roll/rap/elvis what have you.

Constantly model love, empathy, charity and decency to your children and the result is always positive. And it's a result that fucking Youtube can't break.

I agree with you there and realize what my initial comment looks like.

Still, how would someone find recording a guy drowning to death acceptable? the answer is very simple: It's acceptable because those kids are desensitized to it.

Hydrus

some people want vigilante justice on kids.

wonder why these kids in particular....

Hmm...It's almost like your race baiting..., while ignoring the fact a group of teens watched a fellow black man die, while mocking and filming him for some internet fame. If these were white kids you would be saying what anyone else would be saying. Nobody cares about race, especially in this type of situation. It's disgusting and sad what happened, and I feel bad for the family. And no, vigilante justice isn't right for this, but its gonna comeback and bite them in the ass someday. Wouldn't be surprised if the victims family and friends decided to pay them a visit and say hello.

Before I lose my temper on you and whatever thing you're trying to pull here, why don't you read up on why some people want these teens to not get away with mocking someone as he was drowning and then having no remorse for letting him die. Think about it.

Vigilante justice? No. Real justice from our systems? Yes.

Brown person here and did not think of race at all even after seeing the video. Regardless of what race they are, can we agree these kids are scum? Their parents should be ashamed for not raising these kids properly.

I was wondering how long it'd be before you showed up in this thread.

It was going to be either "They aren't getting charged because they're white" or "They're only getting charged because they're black." Just a matter of what development you stumbled in on.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Of course the thread about this sad situation has devolved into this discussion. Inevitable for every single piece of western news now, I guess.

"Hmm something happened but I'll wait until the race / religion / ethnicity / etc. of the people are revealed so I can react accordingly"

I hope this video haunts these kids for the rest of their lives. Every time any one of them applies for a job, this video will follow them. If they apply for university education, this video will prevent them. The fact even after the man died after they watched and taunted him, no remorse is shown. That is truly chilling.

Hydrus

I was wondering how long it'd be before you showed up in this thread.

It was going to be either "They aren't getting charged because they're white" or "They're only getting charged because they're black." Just a matter of what development you stumbled in on.

Yes, I see a lot of this from this user. Always trying to stir the pot...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
In the UK, I am pretty sure these kids would be charged with manslaughter.

This is where you don't outright murder someone, but consciously or unconsciously, your actions lead to their death.

No, they wouldn't be. Manslaughter in the UK comes in three flavours: as a partial defence to murder (which requires intent to kill or intent to cause grievous bodily harm); a deliberate unlawful and dangerous act (and nothing they did here was either unlawful or dangerous); or gross negligence (which requires both a duty of care *and* evidence that breach of that duty caused the death).

None of these would fly in this case.

Actually I'm sure this is not the case. I'm almost certain (without a bit of research) that you can be held to account for allowing something to happen through inaction, here in the UK.

Only in very limited circumstances, for example if you are employed as a lifeguard. There is no general duty except to not make things worse than they are, and even that is limited to if you decide to take action in the first place.

It varies by state. All states have the 'can't get sued' sort of Good Samaritan law. Vermont, Minnesota and one other that I can't remember have the 'duty to rescue' sort, seven others have varying sorts of 'aid or summon assistance' laws.

Aytumious

Banned
Of course the thread about this sad situation has devolved into this discussion. Inevitable for every single piece of western news now, I guess.

"Hmm something happened but I'll wait until the race / religion / ethnicity / etc. of the people are revealed so I can react accordingly"

It is complete insanity.

Bro I don't care if you're white, black, or if you're Asian, Muslim, male, female, or if you're the last of the Mohicans; if you are drowning and I see you, I can promise you that I will do absolutely everything in my power to save you. If I'm physically unable to help or too far away then you bet that I'm going to call for help instead of gawking at you with my mobile phone recording.

I also know that if I find out that there was someone who was watching someone drown and not doing anything about it, or even worse, mocking the person in danger, then I'm going to make sure they understand that they made a huge mistake. No matter what they look like or what they believe.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Bro I don't care if you're white, black, or if you're Asian, Muslim, male, female, or if you're the last of the Mohicans; if you are drowning and I see you, I can promise you that I will do absolutely everything in my power to save you. If I'm physically unable to help or too far away then you bet that I'm going to call for help instead of gawking at you with my mobile phone recording.

I also know that if I find out that there was someone who was watching someone drown and not doing anything about it, or even worse, mocking the person in danger, then I'm going to make sure they understand that they made a huge mistake. No matter what they look like or what they believe.

As you should. Some others will read hidden intentions into your actions though, sadly.

aliengmr

I hope this video haunts these kids for the rest of their lives. Every time any one of them applies for a job, this video will follow them. If they apply for university education, this video will prevent them. The fact even after the man died after they watched and taunted him, no remorse is shown. That is truly chilling.

Yes, the last thing they need is education or a job, that'll show them.

You do know that human beings change over time, yes? It's a bit odd that many people are completely clueless when it comes to this idea that a person can be very different depending on their age.

That change can be assisted by things like having a job and going to college so it amazes me when people advocate the opposite as a way to change their behavior. I mean if the goal is to drive them to crime; then limiting access to jobs and school is a good way to do that.

Personally, I would prefer these kids have every opportunity to change in a positive way.

Fred-87

Reading some of the articles, the guy drove up to this pond and started walking into it with clothes on, and then they started to yell at him to get out, then it went really dark. (They say he was disabled, he looked fit).

Police chief said one kid felt remorse after it hit him, he said he is trying to find someone to help him through what happened.

I want to think the other boys are trying to act hard like it don't phase them but are disturbed after the fact, at that age your brain is not fully formed right?

In my thinking, they thought he was somehow going to get out alive.

It's fucked up they laughed and did not call for help but the way they react, as young as they are they probably thought dude was going to come out of it.

I'm divorcing myself as much from emotion as I can to make sense of this.

everyone gets stupid when they are teens, but not that stupid.

While those kids not calling for help is disgusting, I find it just as disgusting the people in this thread hoping for their names to be released and vigilante justice to be brought upon them.

At the end of the day they are bad unempathetic kids but they didn't kill the guy and don't deserve jail time for morally reprehensible behavior that is not illegal. They would be better served going to therapy or counselling as they might be psychopaths.

x3sphere

I wish the parents could be held responsible in some way. I wouldn't be so quick to place all blame on the kids, as it could have very well been the environment they grew up in that caused them to turn out like this.

This is probably not the first morally reprehensible stunt they've pulled either - so it makes you wonder, where are the parents.

That feels like neglect to me. They had the means to help, even if they just phoned or called for help and the man drowned in the mean time--they at least did SOMETHING instead of filming and laughing. Imagine if these kids grew up to be people who have power over the lives of others. It makes me sick to think people like that could be police officers, judges, doctors, lawyers, teachers, Human resources workers. I would be absolutely livid if I was the family of the victim.

I wish the parents could be held responsible in some way. I wouldn't be so quick to place all blame on the kids, as it could have very well been the environment they grew up in that caused them to turn out like this.

This is probably not the first morally reprehensible stunt they've pulled either - so it makes you wonder, where are the parents.
Likely taught them that their actions don't have consequences. And although I hate to be "that guy" it's possible that some form of bias may have played a role. We'll never know though since they're minors and their names and faces cant be published.

Yeah, in all other cases of teens watching someone die without even attempting to call for help and instead taunting the victim, GAF was super chill, right?
Christ.
I mean, it's wrong to call for vigilante justice, but this really isn't about race.

RM8

How does the richest nation in the world produce teens like this?
First, it's important to separate wealth from goodness, benevolence, or any positive trait, really. America gets a free pass because it's wealthy, but it's hardly a paragon of morality.

Tried for what? Again, you don't have a legal obligation to help other people. That is a centuries-old standard in both criminal and civil law.

Criminal harm and mental assault, to the man and his family. They tortured a dying man by taunting him. Punitive damages exist in both criminal and civil courts.

You get in trouble with the law for racist taunts and hate speech, or intimidating someone with speech, I don't see why you can't stretch that to include taunting and torturing a dying man and recording it on video.

At the very least these scum need to be named and shamed on social media. Honestly, what the fuck is wrong with kids these days? I know this is just one incident, but it seems like the children of America and Britain are absolute savages. You read about their cold brutal hearts all the time. Really gives a you dim view of humanity.

Kadayi

Banned
I understand that this a sad and angry situation where someone could have easily have helped the man or called emergency responders and yes he the bystander should have helped, but I don't think making something like this a law would help the situation at all, unless it is worded carefully. The reason I mentioned this is because in psychology, there is a phenomenon called the bystander effect.

Here is a link for an explanation of the phenomenon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

Yeah if you ever find yourself in a situation where you are in trouble and there's a crowd of people near by you want to ask a specific person for help. 'Kid in the red shirt, call the for an ambulance'. Once you identify a person, it puts social pressure on them to respond versus being an observer. If they don't assist, then they're seen as accountable.

Piers

Sometimes it's not even the parents. One cool kid can have a lot of negative influence over how others behave.

It's because they're black? Just finish your stupid thought it if that's what you think. These bitches deserve to be taught a lesson no matter their race. I was a lifeguard at their age. I had to probably pull a few dozen kids and one seizuring adult out over 4 years. How someone's reaction to something like this isn't to help in some way but rather enjoy a drowning by filming it is psychotic shit.

zoukka

I'm not familiar with statutes in the USA, but the baseline of English common law is people have no obligation to each other beyond doing no harm. That's the case in most of the world, as far as I know.

In Finland it's clearly punishable if you don't help someone you think is in distress. You can end up punished even if the person survived when others helped them.

It's called "duty to rescue" in the countries where it applies.

Top Bottom