• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
This whole thing is like the Fabregas and Nasri sagas fused into one. Wenger is lying to himself that the board are happy for the player to stay a year then leave on a free, and City are trying the Barca 'we won't pay more than x' bullshit that they tried with Fabregas.

RVP must sign a new contract or leave.
You seem convinced he will leave and not sign so we'll see. I am sure he will extend his contract.

Wilbur

Banned
You seem convinced he will leave and not sign so we'll see. I am sure he will extend his contract.

I think he will too but it might be a mistake. You'll never get another season out of him like you just did, he'll be an automatic starter which means (assuming Song is also automatic) Walcott, Gervinho, Giroud, Podolski, Rosicky, Arteta, Ramsey and Ox are contesting for four places. It's good to have competition but playing Podolski and Giroud out of position doesn't seem the way to go about it.

I would probably go (if you don't buy M'Vila)

Ches

Sagna
Kos
Verm
New LB because both of yours are shit

Song
Arteta
Wilshere

RvP

Poldi
Giroud

elseanio

Bit of news on the Hillsborough disaster for anyone at all interested:

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/index.html

Panel announces date of Hillsborough families' disclosure

20 June 2012

Statement:

The Hillsborough Independent Panel is now approaching the completion of its work of securing maximum possible disclosure of documents relating to the disaster and its aftermath. Disclosure, as it has been made clear, will be first to the Hillsborough families and then to the wider public. At the same time, in line with its Terms of Reference, the Panel will publish its Report explaining how the disclosed documents add to public understanding.

The Independent Panel has accessed and analysed documents from over 80 organisations and running to over 400,000 pages. Earlier this year the Panel announced that because it was still receiving new material it would complete its work in the Autumn. The Panel is on course to achieve this and announces today that the disclosure to families will take place on Wednesday 12 September in Liverpool.

The Panel hopes that by making this announcement it will give the bereaved families sufficient time to prepare for the disclosure.

One of the Panel’s central objectives has been consultation with the bereaved families. At its first meeting in February 2010 it met representatives of the three family groups. The Panel has also contacted those families not affiliated to the groups. It is the Panel’s intention that these consultations should continue. In due course the Panel will contact each family to explain details of the disclosure arrangements.

This is mainly for the families to get a better understanding into how their loved ones died, but will also be released to the public. Any new evidence will give some families information they need to open new inquests. The main one being Anne Williams, who firmly believes her son was alive at 4pm, yet all the 95 confirmed death on the day were officially marked at 3:15 (meaning no evidence beyond this time was taken into account).

Podolski can work on the wing if he's with someone as unselfish and team-oriented as Klose in the middle. Also because he fires from all angles (and mostly dangerously so) he often draws not just the RB, but also one of the CBs and thus creates space for his teammates in the middle. It seems like it's one of Löw's tactical ploys. You'll often see him firing off 1-2 ranged shots at the beginning our games.
But it does feel like he's made for for a 2-man striker formation, a classical 4-4-2.

Wilbur

Banned
Podolski can work on the wing if he's with someone as unselfish and team-oriented as Klose in the middle. Also because he fires from all angles (and mostly dangerously so) he often draws not just the RB, but also one of the CBs and thus creates space for his teammates in the middle. It seems like it's one of Löw's tactical ploys. You'll often see him firing off 1-2 ranged shots at the beginning our games.
But it does feel like he's made for for a 2-man striker formation, a classical 4-4-2.

Yeah RvP is no Klose haha. Can't see him not being at the top of the attack, Wenger isn't going to change formation to accommodate Poldi and Giroud... massive surprise if he did

Good news that Hillsborough thing is. All they really should be doing now is trying to accommodate the wishes of those affected.

Already sick of hearing about 'The Goal that Never Was' on the news. Fuck off, It was offside anyway.

Why have they got people from the Euros thread to present the news? :(

Already sick of hearing about 'The Goal that Never Was' on the news. Fuck off, It was offside anyway.

Why have they got people from the Euros thread to present the news? :(
The news is reaching propaganda like levels. Saying that Ukraine got robbed and should've had equalized and how lucky England was to get away with it because it was clearly over the line, yet no single mention of that it was offside. smh.

Hixx

Saha was on Talkshite and said he'd 'consider' joining us.

At his best he is a fucking quality player. But his best rarely shines through now. If we sell Gyan for £10m, put that towards a proper quality striker. Not the wages of someone who is almost finished.

Kem0sabe

So, do you all agree that Zlatan's was the best goal in the tournament so far?

Myself i still prefer Carrol's header, it was perfectly executed and an example to all CF on how to attack a cross and score... fucking beautiful.

Saha was on Talkshite and said he'd 'consider' joining us.

At his best he is a fucking quality player. But his best rarely shines through now. If we sell Gyan for £10m, put that towards a proper quality striker. Not the wages of someone who is almost finished.

Grant Holt to Sunderland. You heard it here first.

Wilbur

Banned
So, do you all agree that Zlatan's was the best goal in the tournament so far?

Myself i still prefer Carrol's header, it was perfectly executed and an example to all CF on how to attack a cross and score... fucking beautiful.

Both of them were great as was Balotelli's and Gomez's first vs Dutch, but my favourite has been Kuba's. Fantastic finish

Salazar

P.I.G. can't compete with

FXIji.jpg

Choc

Banned
Sepp announces goal line technology necessity for football

ignoring the fact the guy was offside ;)

anyway

bit.ly/MvVjDJ

Seems like because it helped England this time, FIFA care.

They really don't like the FA

Labadal

I'd like to say that Carroll's goal was my favorite of the tournament, but I liked Welbeck's the most. It was a crazy attempt at goal and he actually managed to put it in the net. Kuba's goal was also great.

Kem0sabe

Carrol makes you wonder what kind of striker is lying deep within all the ineptitude he showed at Liverpool this season.

With United´s wingers supplying him... he would become a goal scoring machine.

GorillaJu

For me it's between Kuba, Carroll and Welbeck. Ibra's was beautiful but it wasn't important. For me to be a really great goal, it has to have changed the outcome of the game drastically. France were already getting bent over by Sweden. Welbeck's turned a draw into a win and Carroll's was the first goal of the game. Kuba's was a brilliant come back goal. If there's no meaning (or just diminished in this case), I find it hard to call a goal beautiful.

elseanio

Carrol makes you wonder what kind of striker is lying deep within all the ineptitude he showed at Liverpool this season.

Liverpool were creating enough chances for Andy, he just wasn't taking them.

PaulLFC

Nonsense. As much as we criticise him, Downing created 55 goalscoring chances last season - higher than Valencia and Young, and 3 less than Nani.

It was down to poor finishing that more goals weren't scored, not purely the service. Carroll was poor at the start of the season due to lack of fitness and at some times a lack of effort. He improved these areas and towards the end of the season got much better, and he's carried that form on for England.

Linius

For me it's between Kuba, Carroll and Welbeck. Ibra's was beautiful but it wasn't important. For me to be a really great goal, it has to have changed the outcome of the game drastically. France were already getting bent over by Sweden. Welbeck's turned a draw into a win and Carroll's was the first goal of the game. Kuba's was a brilliant come back goal. If there's no meaning (or just diminished in this case), I find it hard to call a goal beautiful.
I must admit that I just picked the three goals I found beautiful ignoring the fact if they were important or not.

In that case Kuba and Carroll are also great goals. Kuba's especially. But the way Carroll headed that ball into the goal was also sublime. I lol'd when I saw Rooney missing that header yesterday, what a chance was that :p

GorillaJu

Carroll has fluffed a LOT of chances this last year. It seems to be the most common perception amongst fans that it was after he was booed and hassled at Sports Direct Arena that he fully committed himself to Liverpool and ever since that game he's been one of our top two players in every appearance.

I agree with that sentiment.

Kem0sabe

Nonsense. As much as we criticise him, Downing created 55 goalscoring chances last season - higher than Valencia and Young, and 3 less than Nani.

It was down to poor finishing that more goals weren't scored, not purely the service. Carroll was poor at the start of the season due to lack of fitness and at some times a lack of effort. He improved these areas and towards the end of the season got much better, and he's carried that form on for England.

Still, can´t for the life of me like downing, he so irritating to watch play :(

Linius

I explained my way of thinking a view posts up.

But in a way you can replace Balo's goal for Ibra's. The goals from Balo and Ibra are quite similar but I think Ibra's was more difficult to make. Considering Lloris > Given and the distance to the goal.

GorillaJu

Best goal is a toss-up between Krohn-Dehli's first and second goal.

Phil jones face.gif

Nah they were perfectly good goals. Especially the first, given the opposition.

I know my slant on this opinion is going to be biased given that the subject is my favorite footballer ever, but I really feel like the best decision Hodgson has made this year has been to give Gerrard the armband. He's played in the English squad for nearly his whole career but he's never looked such a resilient figure as he has the last few weeks. When he has responsibility he really steps up. Three of England's goals have come from sublime, inch-perfect crosses from deep. Few footballers have the ability to place those so well, 3 games in a row.

Salazar

You seem to hate Carroll a lot, why?

Nope, I really don't mind him.

And I do rate him as a player—within technical limits, he is really damn strong when he feels like it—but I don't want United to play with a striker like him. Arguably, this is Meus-ish of me, and takes aesthetic considerations almost too far, but touch and brains have to be there to a greater extent. As things stand, I can't bear to watch youtube compilations of Ruud being a bustling, lightning-witted motherfucker who would be a heading machine if he needed to be, but who could also do tremendously subtle things with his feet.

Kem0sabe

And I do rate him as a player—within technical limits, he is really damn strong when he feels like it—but I don't want United to play with a striker like him. Arguably, this is Meus-ish of me, and takes aesthetic considerations almost too far, but touch and brains have to be there to a greater extent. As things stand, I can't bear to watch youtube compilations of Ruud being a bustling, lightning-witted motherfucker who would be a heading machine if he needed to be, but who could also do tremendously subtle things with his feet.

ruudkiss.jpg

This man was a god for united at one point. Simply brilliant striker, sad to see he didn´t end his career on a higher point.

GorillaJu

I feel the same. But he's ours, and I'll always want someone who plays for Liverpool to be the best they can. Until he's no longer a Liverpool player, I'll appreciate his battering-ram abilities.

Fair enough. I feel he could easily be a 20 goal a season striker.

Salazar

Fair enough. I feel he could easily be a 20 goal a season striker.

Yep. Watching him do it for England rather than Liverpool has brightened my opinion of him a little, I admit.

I just hope Welberg's phase of lulzy finishing is over. Those fucking Bambi moments towards the end of the season, when a whole page of GAF would be LOLBECK LOLBECK - too much.

bjaelke

this opinion is going to be biased

Should probably have added this part and something about over-exaggerating. I'm aware there were better goals (Ibra/Balo), but I got carried away. Almost lost my voice during the Germany game - started singing his club chant after the goal. I was like Woodenlung at a Bieber concert.

You guys don't like King James?

Lebron is hurt, still makes the 3. Sogood.gif

AA is from Cleveland. I just want OKC to win.

To be fair, unless your a Heat fan, you don't like the Heat or LeBron, at least in general. The way he acted when he left Cleveland hurt his image deeply. Fortunately for him, ESPN decided they were going to shove puff pieces about how he likes to read the Hunger Games to try and make him likeable again.
What bothers me is that a lot of the people who have gotten into the NBA recently from overseas chose to follow the Heat and Lebron for no other reason than because he was good and ignored the fact that he is a punk (not Wade, like Messi so lovingly accused). But, what are you going to do, bandwagons will always exist. Lebron James will still always be remembered as the player who could have been the GoaT, but decided that he couldn't handle the pressure.

Also, I didn't really like Lebron, even when he was in Cleveland. I never liked the way we let him do whatever he wanted, or consulted him in almost every decision the organization made. It is partly the Cavalier's ownership that enabled him to act the way he did, but he still acted like a spoiled brat and never showed any remorse for his actions. He isn't a good person.

Oh, and my favorite goal so far is the Gomez goal where he received a pass from Schweinsteiger at the penalty spot, spun, and slotted it passed the keeper. Amazing goal.

Slizz

To be fair, unless your a Heat fan, you don't like the Heat or LeBron, at least in general. The way he acted when he left Cleveland hurt his image deeply. Fortunately for him, ESPN decided they were going to shove puff pieces about how he likes to read the Hunger Games to try and make him likeable again.
What bothers me is that a lot of the people who have gotten into the NBA recently from overseas chose to follow the Heat and Lebron for no other reason than because he was good and ignored the fact that he is a punk (not Wade, like Messi so lovingly accused). But, what are you going to do, bandwagons will always exist. Lebron James will still always be remembered as the player who could have been the GoaT, but decided that he couldn't handle the pressure.

Also, I didn't really like Lebron, even when he was in Cleveland. I never liked the way we let him do whatever he wanted, or consulted him in almost every decision the organization made. It is partly the Cavalier's ownership that enabled him to act the way he did, but he still acted like a spoiled brat and never showed any remorse for his actions. He isn't a good person.

Oh, and my favorite goal so far is the Gomez goal where he received a pass from Schweinsteiger at the penalty spot, spun, and slotted it passed the keeper. Amazing goal.

If it goes down on Thursday you don't even know.

All night party in Miami, then after everyone sleeps till 2PM its on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom