• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the good thing about Italy beating Germany 2-1 is that it finally proves once and for all that England are better than Germany, at least England managed to draw with Italy and only lost on penalties.

dm-T1MH.gif

fuenf

where are the german strikers? just gomez and klose?

There arent that many, Kiesling (Leverkusen) and Helmes (Wolfsburg) are essentially worse versions of Gomez. Dortmund just bought Julian Schieber, so we'll see how he develops under Klopp. And there Samed Yesil at Leverkusen, he's just 18years old and has yet to play first team football but he was the of the last U17 World Cup. He could be the next big thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Gomez is too static for this german team. It's like when Ibra played for Barcelona.

Jensen

Grass is the one surface that Fed can beat Joker on.
Not sure if Fed can do it after the way Djokovic decimated his forehand at the French Open but like you said playing on grass for Fed is as clay is to Nadal. I really hope both guys make it to the semi-final's, it is a fantastic match up.

FootballFan

Coentrao or ronaldo or Pepe who goes on my Portugal kit?

Haha.... If you are getting a Portugal jersey get Moutinho. But if you have to get 1 of those 3 get Coentrao. If you can't get Coentrao, get blank no name shirt.

That second goal from Balo was awesome. Germany really disappointed and Pirlo once again was dominant, he is so slow but so good. :lol

Gambit

Kroos could be Schweini sub if anything. They don't work well together.

I think as Schweini gets older he will develop into a Mark van Bommel (without the dickishness) and Kroos into Basti 2.0.

But once thing Khedira has over Kroos is that Samy never gives up.

fuenf

Does anyone believe that Italy's success will lead to a change in tactics? I mean nowadays every top team plays 4-2-3-1 but Italy has shown that playing with 2 strikers can cause lots of trouble for the opponent. I mean dont get me wrong, i get the advantages of playing 4-2-3-1 but almost every fucking game looks the same, i would just love to see more creative /flexible tactics.

spidye

did klose have or create any goal attempts/chances at all?
genuine question. don't remember much of the game anymore

Does anyone believe that Italy's success will lead to a change in tactics? I mean nowadays every top team plays 4-2-3-1 but Italy has shown that playing with 2 strikers can cause lots of trouble for the opponent. I mean dont get me wrong, i get the advantages of playing 4-2-3-1 but almost every fucking game looks the same, i would just love to see more creative /flexible tactics.

hopefully. I'm tired of the same heavy winger-minded playstyle.
I still remember the Klose-Klasnic magic at bremen or dzeko - grafite from a few years ago

elsk

Banned

Germany was winning until they changed their 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3, for this semi-final.

The Italian formation (4-1-3-2) is very interesting but it all depends on the type of players you have in the squad.

spidye

Germany was winning until they changed their 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3, for this semi-final.

The Italian formation (4-1-3-2) is very interesting but it all depends on the type of players you have in the squad.

wasn't italy's formation more like 3-5-2?

fuenf

did klose have or create any goal attempts/chances at all?
genuine question. don't remember much of the game anymore

He saved a few balls from going out of bounce but that was all. Tbh i didnt get the Gomez - Klose substition, i'll admit that Klose could've been the better man in the first half but why would you take Gomez off when you need 2 goals? Shit didnt make sense. Reus for Poldi and Klose for Boateng (with Khedira / Schweini playing RB) would've been better substitutions.

I know but i just hate the 4-2-3-1 and a defensive 4-3-3 is even worse. The change to 4-3-3 also screwed up the whole spacing on the pitch. Poldi - Gomez - Özil were far too close to each other and didnt do enough in defense, the whole formation was just weird. I think they expected Italy to play a lot different and were cought off guard with Chiellini playing a suprisingly competent LB.

spidye

He saved a few balls from going out of bounce but that was all. Tbh i didnt get the Gomez - Klose substition, i'll admit that Klose could've been the better man in the first half but why would you take Gomez off when you need 2 goals? Shit didnt make sense. Reus for Poldi and Klose for Boateng (with Khedira / Schweini playing RB) would've been better substitutions.
seemed odd to me too. since löw didn't play with true wingers in this match, bringing a second striker would have made much more sense.

They used that formation for a match or two. The used 4-1-3-2 in the rest of matches.

ah, I see.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Buffon "I barely slept, but did not study our opponents, I spent an hour and a half watching YouTube clips of the celebrations in the streets in Italy after our victory over England. That gave me goosebumps and I can only imagine what’s happening now.”

fuenf

seemed odd to me too. since löw didn't play with true wingers in this match, bringing a second striker would have made much more sense.

The ideal substitution would've been Klose for Schweini but although he wasnt very good he was the only midfielder who cared about defense. So i can understand why Löw couldnt do it.

I think this game exposed Khedira too. He has a strong will and always gives his all but it just looks unorganized and chaotic. He's like the midfield version of Olic, he'll have his moments, he'll be beloved by the fans but in the end it just isnt enough.

Buffon "I barely slept, but did not study our opponents, I spent an hour and a half watching YouTube clips of the celebrations in the streets in Italy after our victory over England. That gave me goosebumps and I can only imagine what’s happening now.”

Thats apparently the key to beating Bayern / Germany. Di Matteo showed a video of family greetings / cheers and past celebrations to the Chelsea players the night before the Final.

avgaalla

Neo Member
You want Agger back? He's such a flimsy striker. No body strength at all.

No. He's awful, even by Swedish standards. He did bring some needed energy to our game last season to be fair but that's it. Besides, Sören Larsen have set the bar quite high for imports from the Bröndby reserves.

Gambit

I think this game exposed Khedira too. He has a strong will and always gives his all but it just looks unorganized and chaotic. He's like the midfield version of Olic, he'll have his moments, he'll be beloved by the fans but in the end it just isnt enough.

agreed. The Olic-analogy is spot-on.

Maybe a Bender will develop into that role.

rodvik

Bullshit, he was watching pron and we all know it :)

fuenf

And fuck the celebrity experts at Waldi's Senior Club. Hyping up the Greece game, bashing Gomez and everything else you'd expect to hear.

spidye

The ideal substitution would've been Klose for Schweini but although he wasnt very good he was the only midfielder who cared about defense. So i can understand why Löw couldnt do it.

özil was not that good either. he had his only good game against the second worst team in this EURO. didn't create many chances and he always looked like he didn't give a damn about the game.
I totally lost my respect for kroos. after the whining of not getting playtime I expected more.

elsk

Banned

They should've subbed Schweini out for Mueller, change the formation back to a 4-2-3-1:

Neuer
Boateng - Hummels - Badstuber - Lahm
Khedira - Kroos
Mueller - Ozil - Reus
Klose

And I totally agree in the Khedira topic. His work-rate is impressive but technically speaking he's a very limited player... He should be defending and making headers in corners but nothing more, he was all over the place doing "everything but nothing really".

özil was not that good either. he had his only good game against the second worst team in this EURO. didn't create many chances and he always looked like he didn't give a damn about the game.
I totally lost my respect for kroos. after the whining of not getting playtime I expected more.

You can't expect much from Ozil is he's being played as RW... he needs to be playing as #10 behind the striker. I dont really get the decision of playing Kroos as a fake #10, he's a freaking CM and will always be.

You all should be blaming Loew, not the players.

Only downside of Germany being eliminated is to have Gómez in pre-season... I wanted croatian Mario to be the main striker in the pre-season so he could impress Jupp :(

fuenf

That would've been the most sensible starting lineup, elsk. I think we were scared of Italy and tried to defend their strengths (Pirlo) but weakened ourselves in the process. I mean the the 4-3-3 screamed "let's prevent Italy from scoring and hope Gomez somehow converts one chance."

spidye

You can't expect much from Ozil is he's being played as RW... he needs to be playing as #10 behind the striker. I dont really get the decision of playing Kroos as a fake #10, he's a freaking CM and will always be.

he played behind the striker in the group matches and those were the absolutely worst games I've seen from him.
worst is relative, tho. he was still decent but not as good as you'd expect from him

Gambit

I agree. Kroos was never fast enough to be a 10.

And I certainly am blaming Löw. Before the tournament I was hoping we'd either miraculously win it or lose without any points like Holland did.

That way we'd either get a title or a new coach. Either would have been fine with me.

Now I'll get neither.

Congrats, Italy, deserved winner tonight.

Germany was just awful as the whole tournament, if Löw has balls he says goodbye. And if DFB has balls, they'll kick him out. We'll never win anything with this guy.

fuenf

Congrats, Italy, deserved winner tonight.

Germany was just awful as the whole tournament, if Löw has balls he says goodbye. And if DFB has balls, they'll kick him out. We'll never win anything with this guy.

Now i know! We are Spain pre-2008, we must've somehow switched karmas with them during the 2008 final. I like Löw but he should remember that we need a strong defense, having Neuer in goal isnt enough against top teams. We have the players with Hummels and Badstuber but this high defensive line is crazy.

Oh my god, Til Schweiger dropping the knowledge about Gomez. Of all people, who would've thought.

spidye

Now i know! We are Spain pre-2008, we must've somehow switched karmas with them during the 2008 final. I like Löw but he should remember that we need a strong defense, having Neuer in goal isnt enough against top teams. We have the players with Hummels and Badstuber but this high defensive line is crazy.

Oh my god, Til Schweiger dropping the knowledge about Gomez. Of all people, who would've thought.
what did he say?

Funny little story for Bayern-GAF. After today's match, I saw Mitchell Weiser on the tram. He looked quite sad. Drunk as I was, I yelled "Vizebayern! Have fun with Toni Kroos" to cheer him up. He didn't look much happier :(

your true colors exposed. :/

Funny little story for Bayern-GAF. After today's match, I saw Mitchell Weiser on the tram. He looked quite sad. Drunk as I was, I yelled "Vizebayern! Have fun with Toni Kroos" to cheer him up. He didn't look much happier :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom