• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Calling them "talent" might be a stretch.

You confuse me. Last week you lectured me for laughing about Dortmund.

Won's suffer any consequence when you lose the cup except for the lulz

Missing out on CL football is a pretty big deal.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I have learned the following from watching our games this season

RvP has trouble with 1 on 1's
Rojo Is actually rather terrible
Adnan is too eager to please
Shaw looks pretty good
If people converted the amount of chances Di maria created we would have scored a fuckload more
Mata cant shoot

I have learned the following from watching our games this season

RvP has trouble with 1 on 1's
Rojo Is actually rather terrible
Adnan is too eager to please
Shaw looks pretty good
If people converted the amount of chances Di maria created we would have scored a fuckload more
Mata cant shoot

I mostly like Rojo.

His defending is at times a bit shakey (no more than Jones, Smalling or Evans mind you) but his distribution has been much better than any of our other defenders.

I mostly like Rojo.

His defending is at times a bit shakey (no more than Jones, Smalling or Evans mind you) but his distribution has been much better than any of our other defenders.

Had this conversation with a friend earlier.

I said - his defending being better than theirs is hardly an achievement. And he still shits himself under any and every high ball.

His distribution is good...but it's not much of a saving grace in a CB.

He didn't do terribly on the weekend but Drogba wasn't a huge challenge. Aguero is going to destroy him if he isn't busy taking Smallings apart.

I said - his defending being better than theirs is hardly an achievement. And he still shits himself under any and every high ball.

He didn't do terribly on the weekend but Drogba wasn't a huge challenge. Aguero is going to destroy him if he isn't busy taking Smallings apart.

I think his distribution is arguably better than just 'good' and in our system that's actually rather important. If you can't distribute well then we lose the ball and we're in shitsville quickly because of how our midfielders are told to position themselves when the defence have the ball. A lot of our goals conceded have come from distribution errors from defence (from people other than Rojo I should add).

Alternatively, our defenders have done what Smalling did a few times on Sunday which is to punt it and lose possession. So yeah, good distribution is very important for us.

Agreed on these points.

Van Gaal will have to work on that for Rojo if he is our preferred Left sided CB.

Aguero had an off game, now it will be an on game. He is gonna tear us a new asshole.

Blablurn

I like Watch Dogs
ibq5G5N0FzZNC2.png

I think his distribution is arguably better than just 'good' and in our system that's actually rather important. If you can't distribute well then we lose the ball and we're in shitsville quickly because of how our midfielders are told to position themselves when the defence have the ball. A lot of our goals conceded have come from distribution errors from defence (from people other than Rojo I should add).

Alternatively, our defenders have done what Smalling did a few times on Sunday which is to punt it and lose possession. So yeah, good distribution is very important for us.

Yea, it is important for us definitely. But right now he is like David Luiz, for starter CB needs a lot of improvement.

It's hard to judge it without knowing the full extent of what happened but if he really burst out of nothing then it's digsuting.

Surprised how empty his house is too, it's his place in Dubai innit?

Yeah, it's hard to get a whole load of context from a 13 second clip but it could be a career ender for him either way.

I agree.

But even so - is that enough? Is he good enough to be our starting CB for the next 2 years?

Not necessarily expecting an answer either, it's still early he's played like 5/6 games for us. But what we need is 2 CBs who we can rely on and right now, I can't say with any confidence that we can rely on Rojo.

I do like him though, as a character and what not. Taken to him more than I thought he would I just don't think he's going to be good enough though.

Carbonox

I like Watch Dogs
ibq5G5N0FzZNC2.png

Watch Dogs was great. Can't wait for the inevitable sequel. I'm hoping for an AC1 > AC2 type of jump in quality but even something slightly better would suffice.

Gotta keep expectations in check where Ubisoft are concerned. :p

Jarnet87

My body is ready for the Dutch Destroyer. Christmas is no longer in December, it will be the day we confirm Strootman.

Phil Jones was back for one game before hurting himself again. I'll say it again, I'm done with Evans, Smalling, and Jones. Want all 3 gone. I'd go with a back line of Rafael McNair/Blackett Rojo Shaw for the rest of the year.

I agree.

But even so - is that enough? Is he good enough to be our starting CB for the next 2 years?

Not necessarily expecting an answer either, it's still early he's played like 5/6 games for us. But what we need is 2 CBs who we can rely on and right now, I can't say with any confidence that we can rely on Rojo.

I do like him though, as a character and what not. Taken to him more than I thought he would I just don't think he's going to be good enough though.

Honestly, probably not in the longer term.

He's near enough the best we have now, and will probably be a good squad player going forward. But no, I don't see him being a long term first team CB for us. And I don't get the impression that he was bought as one either, looking at the price.

dc89

@RobHarris
Real Madrid signs commercial deal with Man City owner Sheikh Mansour's Abu Dhabi energy company IPIC to fund proposed Bernabeu revamp

Erm... welcome to the City family RM.

Clegg

This is just another step in the proxy war between Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

Qatar have their play thing in Barcelona and Abu Dhabi needed a big time club so got Madrid. Kinda sad that football is turning into this. The two biggest clubs on the planet are essentially the bitches of corrupt middle eastern royalty who are having a tiff.

Tubie

@RobHarris
Real Madrid signs commercial deal with Man City owner Sheikh Mansour's Abu Dhabi energy company IPIC to fund proposed Bernabeu revamp

Erm... welcome to the City family RM.

All I'm getting from Spanish media is that IPIC will pay Madrid 20m a year to be the main sponsor of the Club. Nothing about the new Stadium, tho that wouldn't surprised me if it was true.

Carbonox

This new sorting/library lark in the new PS4 update fucking sucks. Still looks like a messy piece of shit. Sort your UI out Sony you morons.

This is just another step in the proxy war between Qatar and Abu Dhabi.

Qatar have their play thing in Barcelona and Abu Dhabi needed a big time club so got Madrid. Kinda sad that football is turning into this. The two biggest clubs on the planet are essentially the bitches of corrupt middle eastern royalty who are having a tiff.

So...Qatar gonna buy MU next?

Our defense as a whole is also extremely shake playing the ball out of our own half. Defense need to do a better job getting the ball to our midfielders without giving me a heart attack. Losing balls to opposing strikers in our own half is the last thing our defense needs to do.

This new sorting/library lark in the new PS4 update fucking sucks. Still looks like a messy piece of shit. Sort your UI out Sony you morons.

I'm really disappointed in PS4's UI regarding games. XMB was so easy to navigate and this one is just a complete mess.

So not only has Bein Sports (online) removed the majority of EPL games from their offerings, most of the La Liga broadcasts are now in French. Not to mention their new Video Player is awfully slow (buffers every minute or so).

Ugh - gutted.

What are my options? Living in Canada makes it extremely expensive to watch Football.

Clegg

So...Qatar gonna buy MU next?

Oh god I hope not.

I mean.. the Glazer's will almost certainly sell up if some oil rich despots pony up a ridiculous sum. I just really don't want that sort of group running my club.

But then we're left with the Glazer's again....

Clegg

It's also because the last great megathread (World Cup 2010) was so huge that it started to break GAF's servers. No joke.

So not only has Bein Sports (online) removed the majority of EPL games from their offerings, most of the La Liga broadcasts are now in French. Not to mention their new Video Player is awfully slow (buffers every minute or so).

Ugh - gutted.

What are my options? Living in Canada makes it extremely expensive to watch Football.
TSN and Sportsnet is all you really need tbh. I've got beIN Sports but rarely watch it. Thinking of canceling and getting Sportsnet World instead.

Top Bottom