• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

jtb

Banned
All this discussion about Interstellar annoys me somewhat.

If there's anyone who saw the film and
didnt think it was a future version of humanity that opened the wormhole and ultimately herded the events of the film to its conclusion - even after the heavy handed (NOLAN) scene where Catwoman almost outright says "somebody wants us to go through this fucking wormhole" - then I'm Jake Gyllanhaal's long lost twin brother.

That this film is complexly, obscurely, poorly mangled around this central fucking letdown and still being debated is infuriating. It's just a bad film (narratively). It's not clever at all. It's not nuanced. It's not layered. It's not ambiguous (intentionally, anyway).

And all of this valid criticism is ignoring the fact that this three hour film's money shot is a man becoming an inter-dimensional ghoul behind his daughter's bookshelf that can manipulate our world as profoundly as that fucking green blob at the beginning of ghostbusters.

Soz, it's just gash.

yup, could basically apply all this to inception too

Arnie

yup, could basically apply all this to inception too
I bought into the central premise of Inception and loved every minute.

The film asked you to engage your brain for a reason, and made relative sense along the way.

Can't be said for Interstellar.

wedward

Forget high quality.

One with a seat that wasn't fucking Nutella'd with interdimensional gimp shit would've been sound.

I'm awake in less than six hours for a ~11 hour day.

God give me strength, I should've bought a camcorder and a police scanner.

I can't stop laughing at this. It's incredible.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Liverpool can't seem to catch a break!

my heart bleeds for them

OkrF1Qu.png

Marc

Also, pls guys

Interstellar spoilers -
did anyone complain in terminator when John Connor sent his dad back in time to fuck his mum to save him

No

Look, the way I see it - and i see it the same in something like doctor who - , is that there's only ever one time line. Not much changes. There was only one instance of Kyle Reese fucking Sarah and making John, but through bootstrap paradoxes that don't really matter whether they make sense or not because a) it's science fiction and b) because it does a good job of closing a loop in terms of story, science isn't relevant, it always happened.

In doctor who, there's an episode where he goes to Pompeii and it blows up and shit because he's there or something, and the implication is that it could have been different. But no, the doctor was always there on volcano day. He just only got round to it, because time isn't linear to him like it is everyone else.

In interstellar, it wasn't a case of the future humans only existing if the present humans could save them, so how are they there? The present humans were always going to save them. There isn't an instance or timeline (if time is a line) where they weren't saved. That might ruin suspense or the drama, because it's pretty much saying "well if they were always saved and always able to go back, then there's no tension"

But because we see it as linear, we are invested in the tension.

The reason they're able to exist is because of numerous reasons, the aforementioned fact that it's science fiction being the main one. It's not as if they came into being at one specific point in time, because if they do so then time isn't linear to them. It's everything and everywhere, so nothing is to stop them from going back and intervening.

There's no point saying "well the humans had to be saved for the evolution to occur", because that's stating that there's a time where fifth dimensional humans came into being. That doesn't matter. Once they come into being they're there throughout the entirety of history, because that's how they view time. Hence why they can go back, because the rules of linear time and cause and effect then don't matter to them.

It's fiction. It's there in the genre title m8

Well yeah, I imagine a few people did. ;)

It is a different film though with more room to move, they cover it within their film rules where the timeline 'adjusts' itself. So even if he didn't send his dad back it is inferred he would exist anyway. He is his mothers son and is shaped by events. By the terminator going back in time to stop what would have been some random bloke rising to the occasion, they in fact make it worse. As now he gets taught various skills and information on how to beat them, so it escalates from Skynet and around in a loop. Sarah Connor can get knocked up by any bloke, the timeline can adjust. Same as 12 monkeys, the timeline result is the result and you can only bend it but not really change things. Although I am not arguing the terminator time travel as good personally.

I don't follow, they were doomed, no way out. They had no options, they clarify this again and again. Then all of a sudden, a wormhole pops up sent by themselves. No wiggle room with that, the human race HAS to survive for that future to exist except they had no ability to. You still need that thread to exist for the 5th dimension beings to exist.

Yeah but there is well structured fiction that follows its own logic and can actually make sense. This is a film trying to pretend it is better than it is, great ride and everything but it tries to be a new 2001 and fails at that. It succeeds at a bunch of other things though, the music is brilliant, the cinematography is great, acting brilliant, pacing good and fantastic emotional scenes. The main attraction of the film however is a pretty big let down.

As Arnie says, it also thinks it is being clever with 'twists' that you can see a mile off. So even if you look past the glaring holes, its build-up story wise is for something that doesn't work. With the whole knocking books off for their letters to create words, from behind the books... since I know my books by the pages side.

Except humans don't magically transform into fifth dimensional beings, so there is a period of time between the two points in our evolution. Assuming evolution works as slow as it normally does (not that it would ever lead to that, I mean c'mon), and the fact they outlined that was their last crop and generation. Yeah... it doesn't work. They could have said that we barely survive but eventually make it, but wanted to create a shortcut to get there faster. Nope, they outright state multiple times that this is it. The End. My favourite friend, the end.

Also time being non-linear in a black hole has no bearing on time outside of it which is obviously quantified. It is a clear paradox. Not to mention that they are supposedly unable to affect outside of their dimension, yet create a sodding wormhole for us. Not right next to Earth where its useful btw, but further out in the solar system to waste time. You could argue a wormhole is not affecting the universe, I'd disagree but ok they can create one and close it. So turn it off and on with morse code or binary to communicate. Or why at the start of the film they say they experienced these gravity anomalies for 50 years before Coop decided he should talk with his little girl. They could have sent the message directly. The film has plot holes in its plot holes but it is a great ride so can switch off your brain and enjoy it like most films. But they can't claim they are doing anything special. There aren't very many time travel movies that pull it off however, so not an unforgivable act or anything. 12 Monkeys, Donnie Darko and Primer being the best for me, Back to the future being a more laid back but fairly well thought out take on things.

Arnie - Can you actually understand Casey Affleck? Always sounds like he has some cotton wool in his mouth.

Time is not linear to 5th dimensional beings. The black hole was just the way Cooper got to that dimension. There is no cause and effect to 5th dimensional beings so there is no point in mentioning the last crop and generation as if it's a paradox. It's the same with you mentioning the quantified time in our dimension. To them it doesn't matter and they can go wherever they want in time in an instant. Whatever they affect in time has always happened because they exist at all times. There is no time paradox. You can't apply that to Terminator or 12 Monkeys, because we're 4th dimensional beings who are bound by time. There is a cause and effect to us humans (4d) so the paradox stands in those movies. It sounds ridiculous because we are bound by time, thus we have a cause and effect.

The plot holes are elsewhere, not there. For example, how does one evolve into a 5th dimension human? Makes no sense to me. Cooper is the one that implied that, but he could have been wrong and the 5th dimensional beings weren't humans. I'm not sure if they can't effect our universe, but if they can't then yes I don't see how that isn't a plot hole. As far as I remember, they could only affect our universe through gravity. I can't fucking remember though.

Wow, Liverpool can't seem to catch a break!

We (the club) deserve it for thinking Balotelli, Lambert and Borini are suitable replacements for an injury prone player. They're shite, and Sturridge may as well not exist with these issues.

Fucking done with this season. Was quite confident about the Palace match with Studge back, no chance now. Gap is widening every weekend, we've fucked it.

De Gea
Rafael
Shaw
Blind
Evans
Jones
Carrick
Di Maria
Young
Rojo
Lingard
Falcao

Twelve injuries. Twelve. Fuck you.

You have other players to take their spots to a decent level, and we don't know how long Di Maria is out for. Plus, most of them are shite anyway. And you'll spend another £150m in January, so if you don't get back in this year, you'll do it next year. We've basically jumped into a hole clearly marked 'regress back to midtable' because we can't make a decent buy to save our lives.

Wilbur

Banned
You have other players to take their spots to a decent level, and we don't know how long Di Maria is out for. Plus, most of them are shite anyway. And you'll spend another £150m in January, so if you don't get back in this year, you'll do it next year. We've basically jumped into a hole clearly marked 'regress back to midtable' because we can't make a decent buy to save our lives.

We won't be spending 150m this January. I doubt we'll spend a quarter of that. If we don't get in this year it reduces our pulling power even further.

Probably because we assured them we'd be getting into the champions league next season.

If that's the case, Di Maria will surely have a get-out clause if it doesn't happen?

Falcao's situation seems complicated as fuck. Would he want to stay? Would you want to keep him at that price if he can't stay fit? Would his representatives let him go elsewhere if you offered up the £42m or whatever it is, even if you finished 5th?

valeo

Probably because we assured them we'd be getting into the champions league next season.

Yeah, because that's how transfers work.

It's because you gave them big fark off money and Man Utd is still a big enough brand that it doesn't matter that you suck right now.

I am really happy for Okaka to get a goal on his debut for Italy. He has worked so hard for this. I remember when he was 16 and playing in Serie A and since then it has been a rollercoaster ride for hi. He has worked hard and now is enjoying a great bit of form.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think I pretty much agree with everything Marc and Arnie said.

and this really sums it up:

This is a film trying to pretend it is better than it is, great ride and everything but it tries to be a new 2001 and fails at that. It succeeds at a bunch of other things though, the music is brilliant, the cinematography is great, acting brilliant, pacing good and fantastic emotional scenes. The main attraction of the film however is a pretty big let down.
,how does one evolve into a 5th dimension human? Makes no sense to me.

because gravitEH. Nolan's nanomachines

Salazar

Twelve injuries. Twelve. Fuck you.

I've always sniggered at those cultists who scoff hallucinogens and bash their testicles off with an ovoid rock, but I feel increasingly close to their state of mind.

I almost bought AC:Unity this morning. GTAV won.

I would love to experience GTAV on the PS4, but I find it hard to justify. Rockstar had this planned so that they could do a remaster a year later and make many people double dip.

Anyone who didn't play it should buy it of course.

Lightning

Banned
Hodgson says Welbeck should be okay for Arsenal this weekend. He better be okay, we've got a problem if Welbeck can't play. Giroud still lacking match fitness after such a long time out.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The good taste club (zabo, wilbur, and I) enjoyed Interstellar. It has its flaws, but still rather enjoyable.
I think plenty of people enjoyed it too, even the ones criticizing it here, like me.

Nolan tried (rather desperately) to copy 2001's
interdimensional
sequence but in the end the whole narrative collapsed flat on its face

Thanks for the ride tho, would do it again.

WJD

Got to play table football for 24 hours today.

I'm gonna struggle to last 2.

At least I get to meet the Cheeky Girls.

Podolski? LOL He sucks. He's average at best. Welbeck ain't great either but I'd rather Welbeck than any of our other options, including Giroud.

Why does he suck? He gets like ten minutes to show what he can do every four or five games. He had a great first season and did a solid job in the final few games playing as a CF .

The guy is good at putting the ball in the net. That is what I want to see .

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Conte losing it ahahaha that's all I wanted really

Conte was asked about Balotelli (again) and lost his temper with the reporters in the press room.

“We are still talking about Balotelli. With all the problems we have in Italian football, we are still talking about whether Balotelli goes to a disco or not. I find it ridiculous and absurd.

“And with all of this, the team has five wins and a draw. Beat us, let’s see you beat us.”

Lightning

Banned
Why does he suck? He gets like ten minutes to show what he can do every four or five games. He had a great first season and did a solid job in the final few games playing as a CF .

The guy is good at putting the ball in the net. That is what I want to see .
As a centre forward he is incredibly poor, doesn't have the best movement, doesn't do any defensive work and is best games have all been out on the left wing for us and that spot is taken. Podolski's not an out and out centre forward and hasn't played well in that position for us. You take the FA cup final, he was shit.

Podolski's left boot is one only great thing about him. He scores frequently but his overall game us just so poor. You need more than a left boot.

Top Bottom