• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

sora87

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/877229018348736513

@TripleH
Just passing the London Stadium...
Bring on the new season.
@WestHamUtd #COYI ⚒

DCyLGk9WsAASLEa.jpg

Hammers... sledgehammers, close enough

Jack cw

That also gives some context as to why Emil Forsberg is trying to get a move to Milan.
Nonsense. Both RB clubs are allowed to start in CL this season. UEFA just confirmed this a few days ago. And if you seriously think you could bargain with Red Bull then you are in for a surprise. They dont need money, just a hint.

Zasa

Everton quietly (relatively) doing fantastic business. Now hopefully they find a worthy Lukaku replacement & a good goal-scoring winger. Will likely need both to replicate Lukaku's output through.

faridmon

Apparently Sandro Ramírez is playing us and delaying his contract deal just to see if other clubs notice his performance at the U21 Euros.

Fuck him if true.

Januzaj is on the point of signing for Sociedad for €11M. Even in today's market that sounds crazy for someone who has flopped for every first team he's been on.

Audioboxer

Fraudinho has been up to some frauding himself

Manchester United manager José Mourinho is innocent of tax fraud and had his tax affairs ratified by the Spanish government, according to his advisers.

Mr Mourinho was accused by prosecutors of defrauding Spain of €3.3m (£2.9m; $3.6m) in taxes while he was Real Madrid coach from 2011 to 2012.

A prosecutor said Mr Mourinho, 54, did not declare income from image rights in order to get an "illicit benefit".

A statement released on his behalf said he "has not received any notification".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40339788

Di Maria has actually pleaded guilty rather than innocence

Former Manchester United winger Angel di Maria has agreed to pay 2m euros (£1.76m) to settle a tax case in Spain, according to Spanish authorities.

He will plead guilty to two charges of fraud relating to image rights during his time at Real Madrid.

Di Maria, 29, who now plays for Paris St-Germain, is one of many high-profile players and managers to have their financial affairs under scrutiny.

United manager Jose Mourinho and Real forward Cristiano Ronaldo deny charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40360090

The fuck goes on at Real Madrid?

Spanish authorities ain't taking any more shit.

Fdkn

Fraudinho has been up to some frauding himself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40339788

Di Maria has actually pleaded guilty rather than innocence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40360090

The fuck goes on at Real Madrid?

Spanish authorities ain't taking any more shit.

It's not really at Madrid, more like at Mendes. Every player/coach represented by Mendes was using the same tax payment structure and the Spanish Tax Agency has decided that it doesn't fly good with them, so all are going to go through the same process at the same time.

Audioboxer

It's not really at Madrid, more like at Mendes. Every player/coach represented by Mendes was using the same tax payment structure and the Spanish Tax Agency has decided that it doesn't fly good with them, so all are going to go through the same process at the same time.

I wonder why Di Maria is just like "k, I'm guilty!"

Maybe if they've tied him to Panama

Argentina international Di Maria is accused of failing to pay 1.3m euros to the Spanish tax authorities in 2012-2013 by giving up his image rights to companies based in tax havens, such as Panama.

Pretty excited about Salah. Would be cool if we could land Renato Sanches but he needs first team football while our midfield is stacked. Also knowing his track record, he would have no problem leaving us once he's back in form too.

I doubt Keita or VVD will pan out so it will be interesting to see how we beef up our defense and midfield.

Best wishes.

Pretty excited about Salah. Would be cool if we could land Renato Sanches but he needs first team football while our midfield is stacked. Also knowing his track record, he would have no problem leaving us once he's back in form too.

I doubt Keita or VVD will pan out so it will be interesting to see how we beef up our defense and midfield.

Best wishes.

The regular insiders like Pearce, Northcroft, Joyce and Melissa Reddy seems to think we haven't heard the last from this one.

You know if you buy him, Southampton will get you a transfer ban?

I mean if any sort of transfer is gonna happen, the negotations have to probably start from scratch now. Also depends on what Van Dijk does too in fairness, you're bringing in a new manager soon right? If Van Dijk submits a transfer request or makes himself difficult like players do in football, is it worth it for a manager to have a potential distraction when that coach is trying to put his stamp on the team, might be best to recoup the 60-70 millions from Van Dijk into the team.

We'll see I guess. I mean considering by all accounts he was happy to join us before the whole debacle happened, seems to hint that he isn't against the idea of a move this summer.

Beefy

I mean if any sort of transfer is gonna happen, the negotations have to probably start from scratch now. Also depends on what Van Dijk does too in fairness, you're bringing in a new manager soon right? If Van Dijk submits a transfer request or makes himself difficult like players do in football, is it worth it for a manager to have a potential distraction when that coach is trying to put his stamp on the team, might be best to recoup the 60-70 millions from Van Dijk into the team.

We'll see I guess. I mean considering by all accounts he was happy to join us before the whole debacle happened, seems to hint that he isn't against the idea of a move this summer.

Like I said before, if we back down and sell him to you we look like mugs, I can't see the board wanting that. We did the same with Morgan when he had a strop. I can see Van Dijk going to another team though.

Are Chelsea going to sign anyone this transfer window? They seem to be interested in every player under the sun but appear to be behind in the pecking order except for Lukaku, who now they aren't interested in and want Lewa instead.

I don't see VVD leaving Southampton unless it is for mental money. Southampton effectively told everyone to go do one with the Liverpool warning.

Are Chelsea going to sign anyone this transfer window? They seem to be interested in every player under the sun but appear to be behind in the pecking order except for Lukaku, who now they aren't interested in and want Lewa instead.

I don't see VVD leaving Southampton unless it is for mental money. Southampton effectively told everyone to go do one with the Liverpool warning.

I think they're just biding their time. A lot of the window to go yet and everyone knows Chelsea have a solid team with Conte and big money for any interested players. It's clubs like Liverpool that've really gotta graft early if they want quality.

As for VVD I just want another center back. If it's him, great, even for mental money, but there's gotta be someone out there. I'm more annoyed we're lacking solid links for left backs atm.

Apparently Sandro Ramírez is playing us and delaying his contract deal just to see if other clubs notice his performance at the U21 Euros.

Fuck him if true.

Well if he looks like shit maybe you'll dodge a bullet. It's a bit of a risk for him.

Syder

They probably want to make sure their manager is definitely staying first.

i'm 90% certain that chelsea have players poised and ready to announce but they are waiting for the new advertising stuff from nike before they get the cameras ready.
It makes no sense to present players until all the new advertising and kits are ready to show off alongside the new players.

acohrs

Not sure lads, board has form for not investing after title wins before. 2015 and 2010 spring to mind, where both times the squad weakened after title wins

cromofo

Lukaku might actually stay. He still has 2 years on his contract and it's looking unlikely that anyone will splurge £100m we're asking for him. One possible way is a player + cash but that's also unlikely.

We have no reason at all to sell him.

+ we're offering him 150k/week which if he stays but doesn't sign a new deal he'll be losing millions. He'd be insane not to sign a new deal. The worst thing to happen is he goes for 50M next summer, the best that could happen is he helps us get into CL, he goes for 50M and we easily make up the difference.

Barkley will most likely go since he's on a free next summer.

Not sure lads, board has form for not investing after title wins before. 2015 and 2010 spring to mind, where both times the squad weakened after title wins

Thats what I was thinking. Chelsea have a habit of being very decisive in a window then have a great season. Then another habit of faffing about then having a poor season.

Pachimari

Seems like Ronaldo is coming around to staying at Real Madrid to nobody's fucking surprise. He's happy that Florentino Perez came out to support him.

panty

Seems like Ronaldo is coming around to staying at Real Madrid to nobody's fucking surprise. He's happy that Florentino Perez came out to support him.
I wonder how the rest of the squad feels about this whole event, I'd love to find out.

Why does it have to be a show like that, nobody wins except for maybe Ronaldo financially.

acohrs

Thats what I was thinking. Chelsea have a habit of being very decisive in a window then have a great season. Then another habit of faffing about then having a poor season.

2010 was worse though, got rid of loads of experienced players and decided to play the kids, including mceachran. Turned out great!

Kyoufu

Lukaku might actually stay. He still has 2 years on his contract and it's looking unlikely that anyone will splurge £100m we're asking for him. One possible way is a player + cash but that's also unlikely.

£100 million for Lukaku? The heat must be really bad at Merseyside.

DKehoe

Glad that the Ronaldo thing has, apparently, wrapped up relatively quickly. I really didn't want Man Utd to spend most of the summer getting strung along only for nothing to come of it and they've then neglected working on transfers that could have actually happened.

sammex

Can anyone think of a recent example where a club has sold their leading goalscorer for a record amount and reinvested in the squad with better results the following season?

Cos Spurs and Liverpool didn't manage it. I really doubt Everton would either and they'd be better off holding onto Lukaku as long as possible. (Go on, do it ;) )

Kyoufu

Can anyone think of a recent example where a club has sold their leading goalscorer for a record amount and reinvested in the squad with better results the following season?

Cos Spurs and Liverpool didn't manage it. I really doubt Everton would either and they'd be better off holding onto Lukaku as long as possible. (Go on, do it ;) )

Newcastle - Andy Carroll

sammex

Newcastle - Andy Carroll

Ah yeah, they came up from the Championship then got into Europe the season after? Not sure it would really have the same effect trying to break into the top 6. Good example though.

Anyone got any others? Any top league would do.

Just wondering if it's best to spread the cash out over the squad or try to buy a like for like replacement.

Kyoufu

Ah yeah, they came up from the Championship then got into Europe the season after? Not sure it would really have the same effect trying to break into the top 6. Good example though.

Anyone got any others? Any top league would do.

Just wondering if it's best to spread the cash out over the squad or try to buy a like for like replacement.

Can't remember if Bale was Spurs' leading goalscorer but they sold him for a shitload of money and look where they are now.

Selling your best player and improving isn't unheard of.

sammex

Can't remember if Bale was Spurs' leading goalscorer but they sold him for a shitload of money and look where they are now.

Selling your best player and improving isn't unheard of.

I mean the exact season after. Yes they've since surpassed that level but I think that's more down to Pochettino no?

Spurs are looking good now but the season after the general consensus was they squandered the Bale money. They had made the CL 1/4 finals(?) then ended up sacking AVB and bringing in Sherwood. They spent all the money on Soldado, Paulinho, Lamella, and Eriksen with only the latter being good value and the others all under performing. (Also Capoue and Chadli that summer too.)

Edit:

Just to further illustrate,

Liverpool sold Suarez off the back of their best campaign since 08/09. Got a similar chunk of money and then bought Lallana, Lovren, Markovic, Balotelli, Moreno, and Can. Can is the only one who has been worth the transfer consistently, with only Lallana really showing his Southampton form this last season. Liverpool then finished 6th, ending the season losing 6-1 to Stoke. Rodgers limped on for a few months of the following season before Klopp came in.

I believe the word is they're finishing up a new contract for Conte and will then begin shopping.

faridmon

Barkley will most likely go since he's on a free next summer.

Barkley have been a disappointment both mentally and his ability to play football. I would actually love if we sell him. That would give Davies more room to start more games and actually make a difference. I honestly felt that Barkley was holding back Davies from doing anything meaningful due to him losing the fucking ball when passed to him.

With Klassen and hopefully Siggurdson + Davies, Schneiderlin, Gana, MaCarthy, Besic and hopefully Kieren Dowell, I am wondering where all these wingers will fit in Koemans plans. Personally I am not fan of how he used Mirallas and Bolasie, but with stacked central midfielders, I have a feeling there won't be any space for them anymore.

It also looks like we will be playing with a narrow formation next season.

tim.mbp

Rumor going around that Manolas is going to Zenit for €25m + €5m in bonuses. Seems crazy low in this inflated market, even if he's rumored to be a bit of a jerk.

acohrs

in regards to young english footballers, it feels like there's a generation that gets into the first team squad and just thinks they've made it and stop trying to improve. Mostly talking about those at top 6 prem clubs

Icolin

Banned
So Salah is happening, surely? He's apparently at Melwood, although I'm not sure if the people that are saying that are legit.

Top Bottom