• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

DBT85

Never understood getting player names and numbers on shirts unless they are legends or ave been there years. Like, imagine all the kids with Di Maria shirts.

At least if you got a Lumplard or Drogba shirt you know its good fo lyfe at this point.

acohrs

Never understood getting player names and numbers on shirts unless they are legends or ave been there years. Like, imagine all the kids with Di Maria shirts.

At least if you got a Lumplard or Drogba shirt you know its good fo lyfe at this point.

Lumplard?

Lunar FC

So I have to wait 10 years (in an age where players don't stay on a single club for very long) before I can get a shirt of my favorite player?

I'm a rather new Liverpool fan (started following in 2013) and have shirts of Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho and Mane. All these guys will probably be on different clubs in a few years time, but I still enjoy/enjoyed watching them play and will wear the jerseys regardless.

DBT85

Lumplard?

Sorry, force of habit from when he used to be known as fat frank for having a tiny bit of puppy fat when he was younger Still in better shape than 99% of fans. I'm a hypocritical shit really as I fucking hate it when people use someones weight to take the piss.

I'll not do it again
no seriously I wont

You're one of the most consistent and fittest players I've ever seen play, yet some people still like to call you ‘Fat Frank'. How do you feel when you hear that from the crowd?
Paul Rogers, Cheam

I'm fine with it now; it actually makes me laugh. But when I was younger it used to upset me, it was a stick to beat me with. It started at West Ham, and I can remember going back to Upton Park about seven years ago and a really overweight woman stood up in the chicken run and shouted ”Fat Frank" at me. That was the moment where I realised this was getting ridiculous, so I just laugh at it now. There are a lot of really nasty things fans say to players – stuff about personal and family issues – and I don't like that at all, but I am more than happy with ”Fat Frank".

So I have to wait 10 years (in an age where players don't stay on a single club for very long) before I can get a shirt of my favorite player?

I'm a rather new Liverpool fan (started following in 2013) and have shirts of Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho and Mane. All these guys will probably be on different clubs in a few years time, but I still enjoy/enjoyed watching them play and will wear the jerseys regardless.

Meh I suppose. I don't even buy shirts anyway lol. Just seen so many teams buy players who vanish, are shit or get sold after 12 months over the years.

Man, I have so many Drogba shirts 👌🏻.

Old Chelsea shirt, comeback Chelsea shirt, Galatasery shirt, Montreal Impact shirt and soon also Phoenix Rising shirt as well 🔥

Like I said, he's class now, but I never really felt anything for him. I really think the Sturridge sale annoyed me the most.

Sturridge was always a very talented footballer, but he was never forward enough to play center striker position as he wanted. On top of that he was very often injured, and couldn't really be trusted to stay fit, iirc he was the same at City and certainly proved to be the same at Liverpool. I was sad when it happened, but think it was absolutely the right decision.

acohrs

Sorry, force of habit from when he used to be known as fat frank for having a tiny bit of puppy fat when he was younger Still in better shape than 99% of fans. I'm a hypocritical shit really as I fucking hate it when people use someones weight to take the piss.

I'll not do it again
no seriously I wont

Meh I suppose. I don't even buy shirts anyway lol. Just seen so many teams buy players who vanish, are shit or get sold after 12 months over the years.

Knew about fat Frank, lumplard was new though. I like fat Frank myself, simple nickname for simple people like myself 😀

Rmagnus

Banned

Hmm yeah I can see your point. I have a few Liverpool shirts but no number or names. Maybe I am getting older but I seem to find players more er.... Replaceable? The Torres saga was the final straw lol and when Gerrard left it's more of liking the club than the players.... Man I feel so jaded.

TimmmV

I stopped getting player names on shirts for this exact reason - first had Torres and Mascherano Liverpool shirts which then became unwearable afterwards, and then got a Larsson Barca shirt and a Schweinsteiger Germany one and both of them were ruined by those players joining United
Not really Schweini I still love you

I remember standing in line to get my Mascherano shirt printed and seeing a couple of kids getting Keane printed on theirs, bet they were pissed off a few months later :lol

Just finished watching the City v United match from last night. Both teams were clearly well off pace, United slightly sharper than City. Lukaku is the player United needed if that as anything to go by, his goal was the fault of Ederson but his movement throughout was everything they lacked last season, now it just depends if he shows up every game. City need to get that left side sorted as soon as possible that just got abused all game without much effort. Foden stood out the most to me some of his passes were exceptional, I want to see him in a proper game where the other team will try and leave a mark on him see how he is as calm in possession then. He plays nothing like a typical England player and that is the biggest compliment I could give him, great that he is also local. Good training match.

TimmmV

I shouldn't have said anything 😓

The fact that they're trying for him suggests that he has probably already agreed to join them, which sucks.

Given that he signed a new contract in the winter that had no release fee, I would imagine the club will keep hold of him though, unless Barca offer something ridiculous (basically a world record fee)

Daley Blind, Smaldini and Mata.

You good bruh

I'm not a United fan. Blind, Smalling are average in a system that covers them. Mata is good but isn't creative enough to bring in the wingers successfully which will most likely result in a long ball game utilising Pogba ability to pick out a pass and Lukaku speed. A solid holding mid and centre back would turn them into a team that allows midfields to be more attacking rather than being so deep all the time, this would be especially beneficial for Rashford.

OQzpgTv.jpg

Player.

8)

"Total Arnautovic cost for West Ham £51m. Fee up to £25m. Wages over 5 years £26m. Best-paid player in club history. Earning £100,000 a week"

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/888287344117202946

I guess it's easy to splash the cash, when you're not really paying for your new stadium. :p

And now for something completely different: Crystal Palace moving closer to signing Callum Chambers from Arsenal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/21/arsenal-crystal-palace-calum-chambers-transfer

Tunoku

I don't hate Arnautovic, but that is way too much money. But then again, it's a deal between two EPL teams, so not a shocker really.

Gothos

Selling Neymar will be quite a blow for Barca. Messi is no more hungry for success which was clearly visible in last few seasons and Neymar still has a lot of determiantion, passion and his best years are still ahead him. IMHO, they should sell Messi and build the team around Neymar :)

-data-

Selling Neymar will be quite a blow for Barca. Messi is no more hungry for success which was clearly visible in last few seasons and Neymar still has a lot of determiantion, passion and his best years are still ahead him. IMHO, they should sell Messi and build the team around Neymar :)

You're insane.

Those are some really great goals, Jesus. Will be fun to see this United team play this season.

I wouldn't take much from them as it is pre-season and goals are less important in these matches. Pogba and Lukaku in terms of United stood out due to their link up play but they were playing against a team with one full back and first preseason game but it was the type of movement that United sorely lacked last season and was really good even though none of that resulted in any real chances. They really need somebody that can thread the ball and hold up play in advanced positions to take advantage of their attackers.

From a City perspective I looked at the speed of Walker in comparison to Rashford as that was the biggest weakness in proper meetings and how Mourinho changed things to prob and probe. Walker could keep up with Rashford and Pogba easily which resulted in Rashford switching flanks. So that is a great sign but City need to hurry up and sign more full backs other wise they wont make top four. Foden looked super comfortable around Miki, Hererra and Pogba then by the end got the triple close down that Mourinho only ever uses on players he sees as a threat. A big plus from a youth perspective. Edersons timing is off but decent between the sticks and is comfortable with the ball, need to see more if the timing issue is due to miscommunication or poor decision making. Couldn't really make much from the central defenders as the back line was too unbalanced and left them really exposed, I expected United to bully the CD's to be honest and except for long balls didn't really cause many problems. Sterlings accuracy looked loads better but de Gea is too good.

Beefy

Tim Nash‏ @TimNash_1 1h1 hour ago
https://twitter.com/TimNash_1/status/888326151868997632

BREAKING: @Wolves are set to sign Atletico Madrid's Portugal U23 attacking midfielder/winger Diego Jota on a season-long loan.

Tim Nash‏ @TimNash_1 1h1 hour ago
https://twitter.com/TimNash_1/status/888326695505321984
Jota, 20, flew in to England last night and is set for a medical and talks. Spent last season on loan with Porto, scoring 6 in 27 lg games.

Wolves are killing it in this FM17 campaign.

If I was a Wolves fan I would be worried a agent has that much power over my club

TeddyBoy

You're insane.

He's not that crazy, it makes sense selling Messi just after peak for a massive amount of cash to them reinvest into the club.

Neymar meanwhile is young, pretty much a superstar in his own right and is extremely marketable whilst being one of the best players in the world.

Messi still has a few years left in him yet but if a €200m bid for Messi came in, then Barca should absolutely take it.

Beefy

Zouma signs for Stoke on loan
-------------
@SkyKaveh
Sky in Italy: Roma agree £5.8m deal to sign Aleksandar Kolarov from Manchester City
---------
Juventus sign Bernardeschi from Fiorentina for €40m

Moobabe

Zouma has signed a new deal and gone to Stoke on loan

Also Jay Dasilva has signed a new deal and gone to Charlton on loan

Happy about the Zouma deal - think it makes sense given the horrible injury he suffered. Think he's going to start every week there and be a real success, and come back to us a better player for it.

-data-

He's not that crazy, it makes sense selling Messi just after peak for a massive amount of cash to them reinvest into the club.

Neymar meanwhile is young, pretty much a superstar in his own right and is extremely marketable whilst being one of the best players in the world.

Messi still has a few years left in him yet but if a €200m bid for Messi came in, then Barca should absolutely take it.

I get what you're saying. I don't think they should or will ever sell Messi. I'm surprised Neymar is willing to make the move if he does end up leaving.

DBT85

Only way United buy yet another cb is if smalling or Jones leave.

Jose says he might have to accept only 1 more player and i can't make my mind up if it'll be a dm or a lw.

Top Bottom