• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

T-Rex.

Banned
tbh it does feel like Spanish teams get more favourable decisions than the others in european competitions

I mean it's most likely just bias at play since Spanish clubs have been so dominant over the last decade or so, but still

edit: I should add that I'm referring to my own bias, not that of the refs.

tbh it does feel like Spanish teams get more favourable decisions than the others in european competitions

I mean it's most likely just bias at play since Spanish clubs have been so dominant over the last decade or so, but still

It's not about just spanish influence but a team power position over the other. Vidal also didn't get sent off right away cause it's bayern.

I despise porto, but their last series with juventus is classic uefa. They got a men down 27 minutes of the first half of the first leg cause the ref knew right away he could fuck them. 2 yellows that no big european team would ever get. Series was killed that moment. Small teams either play with mittens or they get fucked by the refs. Nobody gives a shit cause it's just a portuguese team. My team, Sporting, played 4 games against Real and Dortmund in the group stage. We were robbed in those 4 games. Nobody gives a shit, we are irrelevant european-wise. Most of the big teams would still achieve success without it but you rarely see more upsets cause the system is made to protect them.

Pachimari

I'm just not sure if video technology is the solution. I mean, we had that implemented in the Danish league for a season, and the coaches thought it ruined the flow of the game and it took way too long. There would be up to a minute break every time a coach wanted to use the technology.

Also I agree that it's bullshit that we got those 2 offside goals last night.

casiopao

It's not about just spanish influence but a team power position over the other. Vidal also didn't get sent off right away cause it's bayern.

I despise porto, but their last series with juventus is classic uefa. They got a men down 27 minutes of the first half of the first leg cause the ref knew right away he could fuck them. 2 yellows that no big european team would ever get. Series was killed that moment. Small teams either play with mittens or they get fucked by the refs. Nobody gives a shit cause it's just a portuguese team. My team, Sporting, played 4 games against Real and Dortmund in the group stage. We were robbed in those 4 games. Nobody gives a shit, we are irrelevant european-wise. Most of the big teams would still achieve success without it but you rarely see more upsets cause the system is made to protect them.

Oh C'mon. That Porto game is just the player being idiot. U don't do the same mistake in the span of 3 minute there. The first card is more or less a warning and when u did the same mistake in 3 minutes, they better be prepared to be send out there. I mean, even Cassilas said that mistake is something they should take as it is the player mistake.

TimmmV

Oh C'mon. That Porto game is just the player being idiot. U don't do the same mistake in the span of 3 minute there. The first card is more or less a warning and when u did the same mistake in 3 minutes, they better be prepared to be send out there. I mean, even Cassilas said that mistake is something they should take as it is the player mistake.

He's not saying that the yellows weren't deserved, he is saying that a Juve (or Madrid/Barca/Bayern) wouldn't have been given two yellows for the same fouls. Generally speaking, he has a point IMO

I'm just not sure if video technology is the solution. I mean, we had that implemented in the Danish league for a season, and the coaches thought it ruined the flow of the game and it took way too long. There would be up to a minute break every time a coach wanted to use the technology.

Also I agree that it's bullshit that we got those 2 offside goals last night.

Between Vidal foul on Casemiro (?), real players circling the ref to ask for the second yellow and the time it took for the free kick to be taken, was the flow of the game ruined? It makes no sense to talk about the flow of the game considering so many incidents of the game make it stop. Just think how long it would take for the milan goal (this weekend) to be decided without goal-line technology. Technology will help the game massively. We will need to adapt some things but it's a small compromise for such an advancement.

You're right that the ref could have probably warned him. He didn't. He showed two yellow cards. No big team in the champions league would be punished like that. Just think back to Casemiro yesterday.

Lol @ Bayern crying over referee decisions.

The CL has been plagued with poor refereeing decisions for a decade.

In general, European football has been growing apart from the refs. They've been in decline.

T-Rex.

Banned

Yeah I do agree that the bigger teams get more protection from the refs. The standard of refereeing overall is probably the worst it has been since I can remember.

Pachimari

I'm really liking our progress through this rough path:

1-1 Atletico (we gained a point since Barca lost)
2-1 Bayern
3-2 Sporting (very important 3 points, again our squad depth helped us)
4-2 Bayern (through to the semi-final)

Now we'll go beat Barcelona this weekend. We got the depth for it.

[edit] Oh man, I'm so excited for the two matches tonight. Of course I would want to see Juventus go through, but I also hope we get to see more of AS Monaco. I want those talents to stay in the Champions League. They're so gifted. Imagine an Atletico Madrid vs AS Monaco tie. That could be something special.

Ronaldo complaining that Real Madrid fans boo him. Those fans have no respect and don't deserve his greatness. Yet United fans still sing his name pretty frequently at Old Trafford.

VLiberty

Lol @ Bayern crying over referee decisions.

The CL has been plagued with poor refereeing decisions for a decade.

In general, European football has been growing apart from the refs. They've been in decline.

Yeah I mean last year Juventus got robbed just as much as Bayern yesterday, by Bayern itself

also it's not just CL, last year's EL final was a joke for the poor Liverpool with Sevilla playing volleyball, and two years ago Dnipro got in the 2015 EL final, robbing from the group stages to the double offside against us in the semis

I'm kinda surprised at some of you laughing at what happened yesterday, don't you realize some of us aren't Bayern fans but football fans that get pissed when a team is robbed?

How in the actual fuck can some of you be ok with this situation is beyond me.

As some other poster pointed out above, this is not about Real Madrid, but big teams (including Bayern) having biased referees most of the time.

This shit needs to stop, seriously.

EDIT: I just did a google search and found this...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35736241

I haven't read it yet cause I'm leaving home but the date they want it implemented sounds good!

Devil

Ronaldo complaining that Real Madrid fans boo him. Those fans have no respect and don't deserve his greatness. Yet United fans still sing his name pretty frequently at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo was playing like an egomaniac fool yesterday for the longest time. There were several times when I thought as a Real fan I'd be super pissed about him. Not because he missed on some good opportunities, but rather because of the way he dealt with them.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that he is probably the best offense player in the world right now and that he knew were to be to score all the goals (even though some were offside). But that is still a trait that understandibly can make people furious.

Robben is often just like that. Dismisses the better positioned teammate to try it himself. He luckily quits that shit in important matches like yesterday. But I'm constantly switching between being super angry with him and being happy that we got him. I can totally relate.

And yes, I'm a little salty that it was Ronaldo who scored and made a show out of himself. Because that was exactly what I predicted on another forum after his terrible performance in the first half. That he'd be the one to score which will make people forget about his general performance. But how can I argue against 4 goals? I can't.

EmiPrime

I'm kinda surprised at some of you laughing at what happened yesterday, don't you realize some of us aren't Bayern fans but football fans that get pissed when a team is robbed?

How in the actual fuck can some of you be ok with this situation is beyond me.

As some other poster pointed out above, this is not about Real Madrid, but big teams (including Bayern) having biased referees most of the time.

This shit needs to stop, seriously.

EDIT: I just did a google search and found this...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35736241

I haven't read it yet cause I'm leaving home but the date they want it implemented sounds good!

For some people it's less about the sport and more about being able to brag and be a general nuisance on the Internet or at their place of work. Just ignore them and "lol salty tears" horseshit, they're pathetic.

I don't support PSG, BVB nor Bayern but I feel gutted for these teams and their fans and for the integrity of the sport. Only BVB lifting the trophy can redeem this year's CL.

Jarnet87

Serge Aurier being linked with a move to United, and the personal terms have been agreed upon. Can't say I have ever seen him play, only heard he is a talented head case.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Expecting another Olympic level performance from the Barcelona diving team spearheaded by Neymar. Go for gold little buddy!

Expecting another Olympic level performance from the Barcelona diving team spearheaded by Neymar. Go for gold little buddy!

Ref doesn't seem to be buying any of their bullshit so far, thankfully. Crowd going mad over every challenge that doesn't result in a Barca free-kick.

Heshinsi

The refs waiting on Barcelona like:

200w.gif

Heshinsi

Oh this ref I like. Not taking any of Barca's shit. The look he gave when he was touched haha. Put the fear of God in them.

RocknRola

Man, Monaco play wonderfully. Loads of talent + attacking football + young players too!!

Great job by Jardim! Hope he wins the League title (at the very least), he's gotten close the previous years.

azyless

Monaco is so much better than Dortmund. I'm gonna switch to Juve-Barça.

Do they have great depth? (bench players)

or are they just young and hungry.... or both. O_O
They have good enough depth for Ligue 1. It's nothing crazy compared to the teams you usually see at this level though I guess, but Jardim's done a fantastic job, and they're so entertaining to watch. Their central defense is really their weak point.

Top Bottom