• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever Xbox 360 tops PS3/Wii in Yearly global sales (14.9/14.1/10.3)

Derrick01

Banned
I know right off hand that Deadlight, Halo 4, Trials Evolution and Alan Wake are not Kinect titles. and i'm sure there are still unannounced games to come.

Is trials really being published by MS? I tried looking it up but all I could find is the developer page, and they're owned by Ubisoft now. Would be strange to see MS publishing a title from a major publisher.

TheOddOne

Is trials really being published by MS? I tried looking it up but all I could find is the developer page, and they're owned by Ubisoft now. Would be strange to see MS publishing a title from a major publisher.
They are, the publishing deal was before the buyout.

highrider

Banned
good for m.s. can't say i'm big on the direction the company is taking later in the generation but it's great to see them do well.

So let me get this straight, it's okay to write off a large chunk of Xbox 360 exclusive games because they don't interest you for whatever reason ("they're Kinect games", "they're XBLA games", "they're dudebro games"...), but it's not fine to do the same with PS3 exclusives? People can be so inconsistent.

Ramblin

Banned
Yeah, your're interested in all of those AAA games then you've got 2 or 3 great games for an entire year. That's terrible. God forbid there is one or two that don't interest you

I'm fine with 2 or 3 great games a year, as opposed to a bunch of mediocre titles. This goes for all games first or third party.

KageMaru

The bolded is the problem because you can make any arbitrary criterion to discard any number of releases. Not sure what's the purpose of doing that.

Most titles here with 2012 or 1969 are going to be published in 2012.
http://www.metacritic.com/company/microsoft-game-studios

That list is irrelevant since not all those titles are being published by MS, plus it's out of date. I see both Ryse and codename kingdoms on the list but they are the same game.

Why do you continue to ignore downloadable titles? Its obvious that its a major part of Microsofts plan.
Okay kudos to them on that, I haven't been talking about them because a lot of them haven't had any staying power with me, it's like with IOS, they're cheap and you buy them, play them and never touch them again. I've tried Bastion, Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy and Splosion Man. I'm more interested in the big retail games. Don't get me wrong though, that's just me I'm not saying they're not amazing experiences for other 360 owners.

I see. Well while the differences are usually negligible, you still have the cases like skyrim or SR3 where the differences are more pronounced, so having the option is still nice IMO. I wouldn't be too happy with skyrim on the ps3 or SR3 on the 360 for example.

Just so I have a better understanding, in general, what are the exclusives you're interested in?
I wish I had gotten Skyrim on 360 and not have switched because of the texture issue. That's one of the few cases where having a choice in console versions is great, situations like that are why my 360 is still around.

And I'm interested in Alan Wake and Halo 4, not very excited or anything, but I'm planning on playing both.
I'm fine with 2 or 3 great games a year, as opposed to a bunch of mediocre titles. This goes for all games first or third party.
That's not the only two choices there is, there's also having a more healthy amount of good games.

I think there is truth to your point, but then again you keep repeating that they are not focusing on the core anymore. There is no real info to back this up, you can make assumptions -- but those are assumptions.We've had this debate a couple of times already, but people seem to be discarding actual real info coming out of MS.

Their hiring pages show that they have been focusing on "Core" games, created a 200+ studio to support Halo, The Vancouver studio that has been working on a new IP (note that all Kinect mentions have been removed since last year and they have hired the senior designer from Crysis) and opening new studios that we for most part do not know what they are doing.

Next to that their XBLA published efforts have increased, publishing a lot of intresting IP's on that platform. It's always been looked over when people discuss exclusives, but they do count as much as any retail game.
Well, I know there is no info, but I just look at what dominates their presentations and keynotes nowadays, and the games that come out on their console. And about those open studios, it's interesting but like you said we don't know what they're doing.

That definitely mattered early on in the generation no question about it, but today majority of multiplats have neligible differences between the two console versions. Now there is little reason to get one console version over the other when it comes to performance and graphics, now it all comes down to controllers and friends, so I just get all the multiplats on my main console.So one point 360 had over PS3 hardly matters today, couple that with the small amount of exclusives and it just doesn't get much use.

I am interested in the exclusives they provide (Halo 4, Alan Wake somewhat) , the problem is there is so little of them.

Hmm... your post reminds me of the early Android fans wondering why iPads/iPhones sell so much better than Android phones/tablets (this is not an Apple vs. Google post). Long feature lists only count for so much, user experience and attention to detail matters too.

MS has heavily invested in dashboard updates and the Xbox Live network/infrastructure-- nicer looking, more updates, more content, Kinect features, faster downloads, more social options, more third party apps, better usability.... the selling power of these things are probably heavily underestimated by a lot of people. IMO, comparing the current dashboard and the XMB is not far off from comparing early iOS vs Android (~1.6).

*this coming from a big Android fan

szaromir

Banned
That list is irrelevant since not all those titles are being published by MS, plus it's out of date. I see both Ryse and codename kingdoms on the list but they are the same game.

So you're left with Halo 4, Sine Mora, Project Draco, Ryse, Deadlight, Trials Evolution, Dust: Elysian Tail, Kinect Star Wars, FEZ, Haunt, Alan Wake American Nightmare, Double Fine Happy Action Theater, Diabolical Pitch. That's 13 and they're likely to annonce something for Holiday season at E3 as they tend to do.

TheOddOne

Well, I know there is no info, but I just look at what dominates their presentations and keynotes nowadays, and the games that come out on their console. And about those open studios, it's interesting but like you said we don't know what they're doing.
So your basing it on non-gaming related keynotes?

Furthermore them creating games for larger demographics, which they have been critized in the past for not doing enough, is a bad thing? All companies have tried this -- some with more sucess then others.

My point about the studios is that there is no basis for them abandoning the "Core".

Hmm... your post reminds me of the early Android fans wondering why iPads/iPhones sell so much better than Android phones/tablets (this is not an Apple vs. Google post). Long feature lists only count for so much, user experience and attention to detail matters too.

MS has heavily invested in dashboard updates and the Xbox Live network/infrastructure-- nicer looking, more updates, more content, Kinect features, faster downloads, more social options, more third party apps, better usability.... the selling power of these things are probably heavily underestimated by a lot of people. IMO, comparing the current dashboard and the XMB is not far off from comparing early iOS vs Android (~1.6).

*this coming from a big Android fan
I thought there were a lot of people that aren't happy with the new metro style dashboard.

So your basing it on non-gaming related keynotes?
And, they're software releases.
Furthermore them creating games for larger demographics, which they have been critized in the past for not doing enough, is a bad thing? All companies have tried this -- some with more sucess then others.
The problem is they're aren't doing a good job of supporting both in my view.
My point about the studios is that there is no basis for them abandoning the "Core".
They didn't abandon them, this still have the Halo games and Gears, Forza, AW.

I understand the focus for people that own both a PS3 and an Xbox 360 on the exclusives each console offers and dismissing multiplatform. However, the vast majority of folks only own one of them. Microsoft completely gets that and that's why they don't care about carrying all the overhead of huge first / 2nd party teams. For most people you can get a 360 cheaper than a PS3 if you are financially strapped, and jump right into a large library of games. That is why the continue to beat the PS3 in terms of sales and profits.

As someone that owns both, the exclusives like God of War 3 are great on the PS3. However there are plenty of exclusive 360 games that are equally as fun. Maybe there might be a few more of them on PS3, but it doesn't appear to be a deal breaker. When I think first party dominate consoles, I don't think Sony. I think Nintendo. I can't get over this argument about 1st party and talking Sony all the time. It's a complete flip of the PS2 discussions from last generation.

Lebron

So let me get this straight, it's okay to write off a large chunk of Xbox 360 exclusive games because they don't interest you for whatever reason ("they're Kinect games", "they're XBLA games", "they're dudebro games"...), but it's not fine to do the same with PS3 exclusives? People can be so inconsistent.

The fanboy mind is an interesting one indeed

I thought there were a lot of people that aren't happy with the new metro style dashboard.

And a lot of people on the internet are not happy with iOS and are very vocal about it. Things like that are hard to measure but if you look at the amount of risks taken, research done, user testing, refinements added, and time and money spent between (dashboard + Xbox live) versus (XMB + PSN) it shows and it does influence most consumers in some way.

Takao

Banned

Dude came out and said there weren't many guaranteed good exclusive games coming out this year on PS3. I took offense to that. I don't think you have to be interested in a game to think it's good. I don't care for Gears of War, but that doesn't suddenly make the game bad.

szaromir

Banned
Dude came out and said there weren't many guaranteed good exclusive games coming out this year on PS3. I took offense to that. I don't think you have to be interested in a game to think it's good. I don't care for Gears of War, but that doesn't suddenly make the game bad.
You're the one who said that XBLA games don't count on principle alone. Besides, the ongoing discussion was about 1st party games, and I remain I didn't see many 1st party games on that list.

edit: also: "I took offense to that". Really?

TheOddOne

And, they're software releases.

The problem is they're aren't doing a good job of supporting both in my view.

They didn't abandon them, this still have the Halo games and Gears, Forza, AW.
You where firstly firmly stated that MS has focused all there attention to the "casual" crowd and are ditching or neglecting the "Core".

That was your basis for this discussion, but looking at behind the scenes and actually analysing seems that notion is far from it. They have become smarter in getting to attract a bigger audience, but also making plans that "core" games are being made and published.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but arguing about who has the better list of unreleased exclusive games when nobody involved has played any of them is probably the most asinine thing I've seen in this thread.

statham

PS Move wasn't goig to be remotely success due to Kinect. If Kinect didn't exist, I would bet it would be beating out Wii. X360 and PS3 sales beating Wii points to this.

As for Wii dropping rate, it is way faster than all other 1st place consoles in history so it's more than just that's the way it is.
it would and is getting wii ports a year late, why buy another console for wii ports?

szaromir

Banned
Not to put to fine a point on it, but arguing about who has the better list of unreleased exclusive games when nobody involved has played any of them is probably the most asinine thing I've seen in this thread.

Definitely true. However, I just don't see any 1st party publisher really flexing their arm this year, even assuming that all released will live up to their potential in 100%. E3 announcements might well change that, but I wouldn't describe the situation as rosy on any front.

You're the one who said that XBLA games don't count on principle alone. Besides, the ongoing discussion was about 1st party games, and I remain I didn't see many 1st party games on that list.

I didn't know it was just first party, I was talking about just exclusives.

You where firstly firmly stated that MS has focused all there attention to the "casual" crowd and are ditching or neglecting the "Core".

That was your basis for this discussion, but looking at behind the scenes and actually analysing seems that notion is far from it. They have become smarter in getting to attract a bigger audience, but also making plans that "core" games are being made and published.
I said most of their energy and attention not all, and I still stand by that. What's the need for putting core in quotations anyway.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
At first I thought it was a bugged

Rather it was just a meltdown

Didn't 360 also have their record year? 6 years in? They still got probably another good 2-3 years in the system if they play their cards right. Successor in Holiday 2013 and sales shouldn't dry up right after. Be able to knock it up to 80million pretty easily.

TheOddOne

I said most of their energy and attention not all, and I still stand by that. What's the need for putting core in quotations anyway.
Because the distinction between "Core" and "Casual" is unnecessary, but people still use it for some other reason. The are all games.

DarkChild

Banned
This thread is...interesting. Lots of tears being shed for something so stupid. MS won this year, their business model seems great. They could use some more exclusives but, from where they started, they made very very big progress. Congrats to them.

As for Wii and PS3, well, they had their wins in last few years so it only means companies will try their best to be best this year. Everybody wins!

Takao

Banned

I never said XBLA games don't count as games. I just made a sweeping generalization of the genres association with downloadable games. ;p

As for your edit, I didn't mean it like "I need to defend mother Sony's honour!" or anything, lol. I meant I didn't agree with that.

Edit: Also 7 out of the 17 exclusives listed in that thread are published by Sony, and Sony has a tonne of other games left for us to see this year.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Nah, that's definitely Hardcore, but more gabber than happy now that I think about it. Reminds me a bit of Rotterdam Terror Corps.

Eh, I still think it sounds more like 80s thrash, maybe something by Megadeth due to the guitar wankery (since Anthrax and Metallica never had riffs that were quite as technical as Megadeth, and Slayer has been rehashing the same godawful riff for 30 years anyway).

szaromir

Banned
Because the distinction between "Core" and "Casual" is unnecessary, but people still use it for some other reason. The are all games.
Comparing Uncharted (the ultimate core game from Sony) and Dance Central (the ultimate casual game from MS) would be interesting. Uncharted has automated platform sections, cutscenes overabundance, puzzles which solve themselves the moment you set your eyes on them (at least the ones in Uncharted 2 did) and overall low learning curve.

Dance Central on the other hand has much steeper learning curve, but is ultimately a QTE game at its core, which is easy to understand and get.

For me both are aimed for the most part at casual players with varying degree of success in appealing to "core" gamers as well.
I expect to be eaten alive for my opinion

Top Bottom