• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever Xbox 360 tops PS3/Wii in Yearly global sales (14.9/14.1/10.3)

okenny

Banned
Try again bro. I'm a PC gamer, which is a large reason why the 360 is irrelevant to me. PS3 is there because it actually has more than 1 or 2 exclusives or console exclusives a year that I want to play.

How many console exclusive games do you see on the PC from the 360 versus the PS3? You may not care about the 360 but make no mistakes, you are definitely benefiting from its success.

Satchel

Banned
So has this thread now devolved into whiners perpetuating the the myth that the 360 has less exclusives than the PS3 which is somehow relevant to the worldwide sales of the 360?

How many console exclusive games do you see on the PC from the 360 versus the PS3? You may not care about the 360 but make no mistakes, you are definitely benefiting from its success.

That's arguable these days actually. I think that was pretty obviously the case when publishers started to sign on for GFWL, but companies like Activision and Bethesda are clearly starting to see the market as something in and of itself again for the first time since the late 90s, which is why they're moving over to Steamworks despite that making the PC version a bigger time investment than just releasing the Xbox version with GFWL instead of Xbox Live.

okenny

Banned
That's arguable these days actually. I think that was pretty obviously the case when publishers started to sign on for GFWL, but companies like Activision and Bethesda are clearly starting to see the market as something in and of itself again for the first time since the late 90s, which is why they're moving over to Steamworks despite that making the PC version a bigger time investment than just releasing the Xbox version with GFWL instead of Xbox Live.

I'm not speaking to GFW or Microsoft integration. I just believe that it's a much risker proposition to make PC-only triple-A titles but because MS designed hardware that is relatively easier to port versus last-gen's PS2 dominated hardware ecosystem, multi-platform development is largely viable because of the success of the 360 this generation.

xHAASx

Banned

Right...
icon_wtf.png

I'm not speaking to GFW or Microsoft integration. I just believe that it's a much risker proposition to make PC-only triple-A titles but because MS designed hardware that is relatively easier to port versus last-gen's PS2 dominated hardware ecosystem, multi-platform development is largely viable because of the success of the 360 this generation.

No, neither am I.

I'm saying that the tendency to port games with GFWL (or not at all) was an indication that publishers were doing exactly what you were describing; dumping quick ports of 360 games on PC. That's not always happening now, which to me indicates that publishers are seeing the PC as being the "3rd HD platform", not something entirely different and scary.

triggaz

Banned
MS unlike Sony highly promote third party games on there platform. They understand that even if a game is not exclusive and third party it's still part of the Xbox ecosystem. In the real world these games aren't discounted. And through live and friends and the connectivity and social aspect of the platform they have made Xbox the place to play these games.

Sony on the other hand has focused on a bunch of sub par titles that don't move units outside of GT and Uncharted. They are compete ting with there third party partners more. It's telling how Sony main differences is their game's tech it's what they always push. The graphics are better than 360 the move is more accurate than Wii but there games don't connect. Even with Uncharted's undying internet love it gets outsold by Assassins Creed. It's like they forgot the lessons of the PS2 where the third parties pushed the platform to the point it was at. And make no mistake 3rd parties made the PS2 the success it was MS realized that and Sony forgot and that's why they are where they are and gaf doesn't understand.

If it wasn't for EA's hate of MS and Activision's relationship it would be even worse for them. As it is they still have one 3rd party attempting to push them to the top,

Boney

Banned
I think it's pretty cool of GAF that it's all liberal now and you're allowed to call other members pedophiles now.

Alright, another attempt at bringing this thread to a reasonable discussion.

MS focus on more mainstream games over high quantities of core games is...
A) A temporary strategy to prepare for next gen where they will return to their core games
OR
B) A permanent strategy and the start of their move to the casual market that will carry on next gen

Which do you believe? Which would you prefer? How might it affect your opinion of Xbox?

Neither. Just like at the start of this generation, Microsoft will pursue both core and casual gamers, only this time they will stand a good chance with the latter (in addition to - and not instead of - the former, which they always had a good relationship with).

You should probably stick to not commenting if all you're going to do is repeat ridiculous generalizations.

And you should probably stick to your stannery and keep me and my amusement out of your nonsense. Don't give a crap which console is the best selling and the reactions of some of you towards Microsoft doing well are straight outta bizarro world. Only been a member of this forum a relatively short time but I'm really getting bored of these ridiculous derailments of discussions. I guess I just don't like video games enough to have a vested interest in what company, that I own no significant amount of shares in, is doing better. Especially to the point that I'm going to act personally offended if I bet on the wrong horse in any given console generation. It's really not that serious.

mboojigga

And you should probably stick to your stannery and keep me and my amusement out of your nonsense. Don't give a crap which console is the best selling and the reactions of some of you towards Microsoft doing well are straight outta bizarro world. Only been a member of this forum a relatively short time but I'm really getting bored of these ridiculous derailments of discussions. I guess I just don't like video games enough to have a vested interest in what company, that I own no significant amount of shares in, is doing better. Especially to the point that I'm going to act personally offended if I bet on the wrong horse in any given console generation. It's really not that serious.

No it isn't. Thank you for that. Game on everybody.

okenny

Banned
No, neither am I.

I'm saying that the tendency to port games with GFWL (or not at all) was an indication that publishers were doing exactly what you were describing; dumping quick ports of 360 games on PC. That's not always happening now, which to me indicates that publishers are seeing the PC as being the "3rd HD platform", not something entirely different and scary.

I'm not so much making the lazy port argument but rather the the 360's made multi-platform engines more viable. This is a loose argument on my part since someone can make the same case for the cost-of-development. I think Microsoft courted a lot of developers who would have otherwise suck to either consoles or PC development via things like alternate sales method, supply chain, better development tools, rev-share, publishing deals, etc... I mean there are small publishers who have made it into retail this gen only because of relaxed unit volume requirements on the 360. There are some studios who were able to become viable to publishers because they were able to release on XBLA. The net positive is you end up having developers developing for platforms outside of their comfort zone and bringing whatever they learn into the platform they are comfortable with. It doesn't always work out but when it does, the industry moves forward and we all enjoy the benefits as gamers regardless of whether we are aware of it or not.

I say, a combination of A and B.

Neither. Just like at the start of this generation, Microsoft will pursue both core and casual gamers, only this time they will stand a good chance with the latter (in addition to - and not instead of - the former, which they always had a good relationship with).

Stop thinking outside the box you jerks! It's one or the other ;)

...also, I can only count to B. :(

Krilekk

Banned
Now just 7 more years to to top Wiis totals sales and win the generation.

If the trend continues for three more years Xbox 360 will surpass Wii worldwide by then. And I think if the next Xbox is supposed to be released in 2013 the old one will be produced at least until 2014 and it will be very cheap in the end. Nintendo won't try to keep Wii around. Too much confusion with the successor, especially because of the similar name and design. And even if they change the name of Wii U to something else they're already pretty much done with price cuts. Production capacity is going down for Wii, that leads to higher production costs. Nobody is working on shrinking that old tech anymore.

This is not meant to be incendiary, but out of all those consoles sold I wonder how many still function.

I bought a new 360 at retail for launch.

A year later it died and went to Mexico for a free refurb swap.

A year later THAT system died and went to Mexico. Being impatient, I bought a second system so I would always have a spare 360. This system turned out to be very reliable (65nm Falcon system).

Six months or so later the refurb 360 died again. This time they sent back a 65nm Opus system.

At this point, I now had two 65nm systems, one upstairs, and one downstairs. They both got heavy play and never showed any signs of failing. However, after the "S" (slim-ish) model came out, I decided I really wanted one (liked the design, and the greatly reduced fan noise). I decided I didn't really need two systems any more (was preparing to move to a smaller place), so I traded in both of my working systems at Gamestop on a 360 S system. So at this point I have bought three new 360s at retail since November 2005.

Q: How much do my three system purchases distort/inflate the 360s sales numbers, market share, etc?

A: Not at all. I bought 3 systems but two of them got sold as refurb by Gamestop, so there are two other people out there with working 360s (the 65nm hardware is pretty damned good), buying games and accessories et al.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What a disgusting thread - Some scumbag accusing all SRPG fans of being pedos? WTF?

MS totally giving up on Japan, along with their shoddy hardware, gutting of their first parties, and focus on Kinect/casual markets means I have very very little interest in their followup. Maybe if some really good exclusive XBLA/indie games get released, then I'll be interested.

tusken77

I agree but I can't help but feel that MS is waiting for that to counter-act them with a 360 for a lot less.
Personally I am just a click away from trading my 360 up for a PS3. I feel I am done with it and that the PS3 with all of it's unplayed exclusives would last me far better until the next-gen.
The only thing stopping me is trials evolution and fez, 2 live arcade games.

It's all about games, right? Get rid of your 360, pick up a PS3 and Vita. Sorted. :)

Top Bottom