• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever Xbox 360 tops PS3/Wii in Yearly global sales (14.9/14.1/10.3)

Dragon

Banned
goldenpp you are batshit insane if you don't think the Ico and SotC remakes are worth it. They were lovingly restored.

Derrick01

Banned
While i'd not exactly call halo anniversary equal to a new title, it certainly had infinitely more effort put into it than these cheap upscale ports, and keep in mind I own the collections that matter on the ps3 sans god of war (as I hate those), I certainly don't look at them like new releases though. They take old ps2 games and upscale them and jack up the framerate, oh and trophies.

Maybe it's just me, i'll take a graphics overhaul over a generic bump the resolution and framerate and call it a day effort, at least with that method you get something seemingly different visually instead of just cleaner. Things like REmake or conker on xbox are much cooler than anything sony is outputting with these things. I don't mind that they exist for the ones who never got to play them or enthusiast, but it's a pretty cheap way to pad your list considering what they are.

Well opinions on the quality of the ports aside, you do realize there's only 1 on that guy's ps3 list for this year right? I mean I'm pretty sure there's only 1, there's some stuff on there I've never heard of like Papo & Yo and I'm just assuming it's not a ps2 port. You were making it seem like the PS3 side is padded with PS2 HD ports, and there's only Jak there. Even if I excluded that from my purchases it would still be 8 to 1 to 1 PS3 over 360/WiiU this year, those 8 being new games.

goldenpp72

Lovingly restored? It's really no different than how old movies get put on blu rays, which i also buy tons of just so I can have the definitive versions. Doesn't mean they wow me like a new game or full remake would. Compare Resident evil 1 on ps1 to REmake on cube, that is a project worth noting as something full scale despite being a remake. I mean shit, banjo kazooie and tooie on xbla are essentially the same thing as what is found on the ico/SOTC collection is it not? I don't see people bringing those up as any sort of big deal in hindsight, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Also yes I realize there is only one HD collection so far, I just think it's about as worth mentioning as bringing up hole in the wall kinect as something to pad the 360s list. I don't dispute that going by that list the 360 has the inferior list (though halo 4 would outdo all of those if it lives up, for me anyways). I also don't believe that by the years end either of those list will be close to how it actually ends up, but that's just guessing at this point. I'm personally banking on the Wii U to come out fist flying to make up for what I see as lackluster 1st party efforts by both MS and sony, but I only assume that will happen based on the neglect the wii has gotten for so long.

icecream

Public Health Threat
So you're equating games like the Atelier series with games like Shadow of the Colossus?
Not that such a statement would be completely off the mark...

But his point can be clearly be seen in that list: an overwhelming majority of them are Japanese games, and ones that fall in pretty much only 2 main genres. (Not to mention the endless listing of sequels). For a console that people are claiming is the most diverse out there, wouldn't one expect a list to reflect more that an unnatural representation of two Japanese-heavy genres?

It's a reason why the 360 really can almost be seen as the most diverse console of the generation if one takes the entire library as a whole, even if it is not the most favored one.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Releasing 10 games a year is not the same as releasing 10 interesting games a year. If I owned a PS3 Resistance wouldn't even be on my radar because there are dozens of FPS better than Sony's first party offerings.

I've been playing FPS since you were in diapers, R3 is one of the best FPS of all time IMO. So let your hate for Sony let you pass up great games, you will be left with less games to choose from.

Sydle

I've been playing FPS since you were in diapers, R3 is one of the best FPS of all time IMO. So let your hate for Sony let you pass up great games, you will be left with less games to choose from.

R3 was good, but it's not one of the best FPS of all time.

Resistance has been a solid title in its three instances. I'd compare it well to something like Fable, and I'm doing this despite the fact that I love the Resistance series far more. Fable has tons and tons of flaws, including broken game systems and plot (lol). But at the end of the day they are both fun games. Don't be interested all you want, your personal opinion matters jack shit when comparing game libraries. It's a title that can be compared favorably to lots of other titles out there.

I'm not saying it's terrible, but the argument in these threads usually breaks down to,

Q: "Sony has released MAG, Killzone, Resistance, SOCOM, and StarHawk all in the span of a year. Why don't you love the PS3? So many exclusives!"

A: "I'm still playing BF3. WTF is a MAG?"

People don't play list wars, and gamers don't only play exclusives. The average PS3 owner owns more 3rd party games than 1st/2nd party, though you'd probably get the opposite result if you polled this board.

NIGHT-

You seriously need to play more Fps.. R3 isn't even one of the best fps of this gen, much less of all time. The Resistance series is just very generic feeling.

goldenpp72

I admit to not playing resistance 3, it suffered the same fate as killzone 3. I played both R1 and 2 and hated both, I also hated killzone 1 and barely enjoyed 2, so did not buy 3. I don't really think it's unusual to skip series after each one disappoints, I have written these series off entirely (and to my knowledge resistance will not continue anytime soon on consoles)

I still remember playing resistance for the first time, it was a couple years after it came out mind you, but the fact people even thought to put it against gears of war 1 was laughable on about every level, i'd not even put it against call of duty 2 by a long shot.

Derrick01

Banned
I hated R1 and 2 too, but 3 is a whole different class of game. Much better in every way.

I won't sit here and say it's one of the best ever but it could make a top 15 best FPS of the generation list.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Console stuff is so regional lol Makes me chuckle.

I could care less what system does better, more the merrier.

About 12-15 people I know at work are consolers (most are PC gamers) and only two of them have a 360 (Majority have a PS3, a Wii, or both of those). None of my outside work friends have one either. Although my boss was given a refurbed one for Xmas.

My point being, some systems sell well in some areas, some don't (duh).

But really...who cares?

As long as they keep making games for the one I have, I'm happy. Then again I just got control of my PS3 back (wife & daughter were using it for media center) so I have a ton of backlog to go through.

MDX

Its probably been said or asked, but incase it hasn't...

We can see that 2011 has been weaker year for the Wii, but
how much of that can be attributed to the announcement of the WiiU?

Neither 360 or the PS3 have been officially challenged by an announcement of their
successor. I wonder how much that would have impacted their sales.

Highly doubt that. RRoD was at its prime in 2007/2008. There were 30-40 millions 360's out there at that time. Not only that, but Microsoft didn't always fully replace the faulty consoles, refurbishment was enough.
First of all, the RROD was at it's prime in 2006/2007. The 65-nm CPU were coming out as Falcon models by September of 2007, and were pretty much widespread by 2008. Most people like to believe its the Jaspers that fixed the RROD issue but it was actually the 65-nm Falcons.

Secondly, you're point ended up supporting mine; not all consoles were replacements, many were refurbishments. So at a userbase of around 30-35 million, it's completely realistic that Microsoft would've made around 25 million new consoles and between 5-10 million refurbishments.

Takao

Banned
Its probably been said or asked, but incase it hasn't...

We can see that 2011 has been weaker year for the Wii, but
how much of that can be attributed to the announcement of the WiiU?

Neither 360 or the PS3 have been officially challenged by an announcement of their
successor. I wonder how much that would have impacted their sales.

None. The people who are buying a Wii at this point probably don't know Wii U exists.

MDX

None. The people who are buying a Wii at this point probably don't know Wii U exists.

But then you cant say "none".
Because the people who do know that the WiiU
exists will:

Still buy a Wii
or
Hold off until WiiU

GeoramA

After the, what, 2 month long PSN hack debacle, I think Sony are actually doing pretty damn well for getting within 1m units globally of 360!

Because lets be honest, if that didn't depress their sales performance, nothing will.
And it's still a $250 entry fee, which is even more impressive. As long as they keep touting free online along with their vast 1st-party support, the PS3 will be fine.

Would love to see what a $199 PS3 would do, though.

Marco1

I agree but I can't help but feel that MS is waiting for that to counter-act them with a 360 for a lot less.
Personally I am just a click away from trading my 360 up for a PS3. I feel I am done with it and that the PS3 with all of it's unplayed exclusives would last me far better until the next-gen.
The only thing stopping me is trials evolution and fez, 2 live arcade games.

Wow this thread has really gone to hell.

How about this as a breakdown of how people currently view the Xbox in relation to its sales numbers...

The average mainstream person buys <10 games a year, we can agree that this year the XBOX would have everything to keep them more than happy. Say the next group buys ~20 games, again there's a very good chance they could have enjoyed their Xbox for 20 or more games. These are the people the XBOX is hitting (high attachment rate, mainstream games).

Then you have the next group who are connoisseurs where it's not just number of games but specific franchises they are interested in. Beyond these guys you have the insatiables, the hardest of core who chew through dozens of games with a bottomless appetite; while they pause to breathe between the top 20 or 30 games and beyond, exclusives become much more relevant.

Now the first bunch are the large majority of gamers in the US and winning them over is key to hitting great sales numbers (like MS has done). The next bunch are platform neutral, they go where their games are and will never be satisfied with a single platform. You can win them over temporarily with big hardcore releases or niche games but never completely. If you launch your next console with must haves, they will buy in early but they will move on the minute you slow down your output (say to gear up for a new console).

The games I'm interested in for each system.

Also you're missing the portables, which in my honest opinion is more exciting this year than the consoles.
Agreed, so here they are.

Nintendo DS
Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard / Firestorm (EU)
Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition (JP)

Nintendo 3DS
3D Classics: Kid Icarus (JP/NA/EU)
3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (JP)
Animal Crossing (JP/NA/EU)
Calciobit (JP)
Culdcept (JP)
Dillon's Rolling Western (JP/NA/EU)
Fantasy Life (JP) *1st party developed, published by Level-5
Fire Emblem: Awakening (JP)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (JP/NA/EU)
LEGO City Stories (NA)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (JP/NA/EU)
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (JP)
Mario Tennis (JP/NA/EU)
New Super Mario Bros. (JP/NA/EU)
One Piece: Unlimited Cruise Special (EU)
Paper Mario (JP/NA/EU)
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles (NA/EU)
Resident Evil Revelations (EU)
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (NA/EU)
Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir (JP/NA/EU)
Style Savvy 2 (JP)
Super Smash Bros. (NA)
Tomodachi Collection (JP)

PSP
EyePet Adventures (NA)

PS Vita
Broken (JP/NA)
Escape Plan (JP/NA/EU)
Gravity Rush (JP/NA/EU)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (NA/EU)
Hustle Kings (NA/EU)
Killzone (JP/NA/EU)
LittleBigPlanet (JP/NA/EU)
Little Deviants (JP/NA/EU)
MLB 12: The Show (NA)
ModNation Racers: Road Trip (JP/NA/EU)
MotorStorm RC (NA/EU)
Mr. Ink Jet (JP/NA/EU)
Reality Fighters (JP/NA/EU)
Resistance: Burning Skies (JP/NA/EU)
Ruin (NA/EU)
Smart As (NA/EU)
Sound Shapes (JP/NA/EU)
Super Stardust Delta (JP/NA/EU)
Top Darts (NA/EU)
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (NA/EU)
Unit 13 (NA/EU)
Wipeout 2048 (JP/NA/EU)

Cipherr

Amazing seeing gamers on gaming forum congratulating MS for not giving a fuck about them.

Jesus CHRISSSSSSSt the amount of salt. Absolutely ridiculous. It took me until now to realize why. There was that thread a few weeks ago when we all thought the PS3 took the year 2011. Some serious back patting and chicken counting went on in that thread I suppose.

Then the actual numbers drop and this thread happens. Iodised.

Now add non exclusives to each platform, then consider which platforms do not suffer the usual post launch game mediocrity and you have the winner(s) (PC/PS3/360).
I did add non-exclusives, these are 1st party lists. I'd say 3DS/Vita/WiiU are winners as well. Wii's winding down fast but has a few gems yet, DS/PSP are dead already.

It's kind of sad that I came into this thread because I think it's interesting from a business perspective that Microsoft managed to successfully relaunch a 6 year old console, hoping that there would be a discussion about that. But nope, the usual suspects would rather talk about how they prefer Sony products and then have the temerity to claim that the thread is filled with masturbating Xbots.

Dragon

Banned
It's kind of sad that I came into this thread because I think it's interesting from a business perspective that Microsoft managed to successfully relaunch a 6 year old console, hoping that there would be a discussion about that. But nope, the usual suspects would rather talk about how they prefer Sony products and then have the temerity to claim that the thread is filled with masturbating Xbots.

So you came into this thread to talk about Microsoft's business turning around but instead of doing that complained about people talking about Sony products? smh

EagleEyes

Some people just don't understand what being on topic means anymore. Its sad really.

Meanwhile on top of the mountain ;

Uw6r2.gif

So you came into this thread to talk about Microsoft's business turning around but instead of doing that complained about people talking about Sony products? smh

Yes because that was my only post in this thread. I didn't try to start a discussion about what an asset Live will be going into the next generation, or raise questions about the value of exclusivity in the current industry climate.

SMH HARDER THAN YOU

Some people just don't understand what being on topic means anymore. Its sad really.

It's going to get worse as we near the brink of a new generation.

Cheech

It's going to get worse as we near the brink of a new generation.

I'm not real sure, honestly. At the beginning of this gen, it was OMFG exclusives. Even in the list warz being thrown around in this thread, people keep bringing up old ass games as killer system exclusives. There just aren't as many in 2011/2012 than in previous years.

Now granted, this may be because some of these teams have been working on next gen games for the past year or so. Given what both MS and Sony have done with their first party publishing, OTOH, I think the next PS/Xbox will be even more homogeneous than ever. In my opinion, there will be a scant handful of games that differentiate the two systems. I don't expect there to be a huge gulf in quality in the multiplats, assuming somebody doesn't do something dumb like split memory again.

I think the overall ecosystem is what is going to sell systems in the future, not specifically the games. On our 360s and PS3s most of us see Netflix use above all else; the winner of the next gen is going to be the one with the best overall package. For example, if I can buy a PS4 with a $40/mo TV package, that is a hell of a lot more compelling than the bare handful of Microsoft exclusives like Gears 4.

triggaz

Banned
What I'm trying to figure out is how any of that benefits gamers. Celebrating their success with virtually no output for people like us seems weird to me. Like should I be happy that I only played Gears 3 on a 360 last year, just because MS is doing great and casuals are happy? What about my happiness?

Sales thread?

I'm not real sure, honestly. At the beginning of this gen, it was OMFG exclusives. Even in the list warz being thrown around in this thread, people keep bringing up old ass games as killer system exclusives. There just aren't as many in 2011/2012 than in previous years.

Now granted, this may be because some of these teams have been working on next gen games for the past year or so. Given what both MS and Sony have done with their first party publishing, OTOH, I think the next PS/Xbox will be even more homogeneous than ever. In my opinion, there will be a scant handful of games that differentiate the two systems. I don't expect there to be a huge gulf in quality in the multiplats, assuming somebody doesn't do something dumb like split memory again.

I think the overall ecosystem is what is going to sell systems in the future, not specifically the games. On our 360s and PS3s most of us see Netflix use above all else; the winner of the next gen is going to be the one with the best overall package. For example, if I can buy a PS4 with a $40/mo TV package, that is a hell of a lot more compelling than the bare handful of Microsoft exclusives like Gears 4.

I completely agree, especially with the last paragraph. Consumers these days are used to the idea that they buy technology products based on how well that product does the same things as everyone else, not how much exclusive content they can get on it. Microsoft have cottoned on to this fact far more quickly than Sony or Nintendo this generation, probably because of differences in consumer behaviour between their countries of origin.

Still, I think that the general antipathy is only going to get worse. Like in this thread, apparently if you think this news is interesting you must hate games because RABBLE RABBLE KINECT RABBLE RABBLE CASUALS RABBLE RABBLE.

Alright, another attempt at bringing this thread to a reasonable discussion.

MS focus on more mainstream games over high quantities of core games is...
A) A temporary strategy to prepare for next gen where they will return to their core games
OR
B) A permanent strategy and the start of their move to the casual market that will carry on next gen

Which do you believe? Which would you prefer? How might it affect your opinion of Xbox?

xHAASx

Banned
Alright, another attempt at bringing this thread to a reasonable discussion.

MS focus on more mainstream games over high quantities of core games is...
A) A temporary strategy to prepare for next gen where they will return to their core games
OR
B) A permanent strategy and the start of their move to the casual market that will carry on next gen

Which do you believe? Which would you prefer? How might it affect your opinion of Xbox?

I say, a combination of A and B.

szaromir

Banned
I think they'll ramp up development for the first year or two and see where to go from there. They'll need more first party games before third parties are fully on board.

Marco1

Personally, I think MS is more focused in letting the third parties do all the work while securing some exclusive DLC.
It works so why not let that carry into next-gen.
They will surely want kinect to be a part of next-gen but the problems with lag is what is stopping it from becoming a part of core games this gen. It's easy for casual games to mak the lag when all we have are what we have at the moment.
FFS they were still using staged scenes at kinects second E3 showing.
They have forza for their GT5 beater and Halo as the FPS machine, what else do they need?

Curufinwe

They already did that last year with the halo remake. Half hearted was a good way to describe it too.

and yeah that counted in the list of exclusives too. I certainly saw it enough times.

I think it's very harsh to describe either Halo Anniversary or something like the Team Ico collection as being half-hearted.

I think they'll ramp up development for the first year or two and see where to go from there. They'll need more first party games before third parties are fully on board.

I think this sounds about right... it also sounds like, for better or worse, Kinect is going to be a big deal next gen. I bet it's Kinect's steep learning curve for devs that's holding up all of MS first party. MS First party is pretty much dedicated to getting third parties to buy into their platform (and making money second).

okenny

Banned
I'm not trying to start trouble but from reading through the thread there is a lot of snarky sub-trolling going on and I'm wondering why. With this kind of outburst you'd think the 360 passed Wii LTD or something.

I don't want to join the fight or anything; I just need help understanding the lingo here so...

What the hell is "sub-trolling"?

Top Bottom