• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For the first time ever Xbox 360 tops PS3/Wii in Yearly global sales (14.9/14.1/10.3)

Arklite

Props to them, they accomplished a lot with the 360's online structure. Personally I feel the original Xbox had the more diversified software line-up compared to its competitors than this time around, but that's just me.

And unsurprisingly, this looks like it's boiling down to this guy calling everyone a troll or biased if their opinions don't line up with his own.

There's no set number. If I played 10 exclusives and 9 of them were shitty or really tiny psn titles that weren't very good I would consider that a failure of a year. I'd break 2011 down but that would essentially involve getting into a list war, and I'd rather not do that.

That's not exactly what i meant. Skyrim isn't an exclusive title so does that mean you won't play it? I'm talking in general, how much content is enough? People who game on the PC and PS3 will have far less incentive to purchase a Xbox 360 but that's not to say there isn't a ton of games to play on it.

just saying that Microsoft is still making games available on their console that is not available on the PS3. Obviously The Witcher 2 is a pretty big game and it actually looks fantastic on the 360. They still deliver pretty good games and there is not really a need for high profile exlcusives when you have games like Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5, RE6. and cod come out.
He explained he was a PC gamer, I'm pretty sure his version of The Witcher 2 looked fantastic.

As for myself, about 25% of the time I can be found gaming with a 360 controller in my hand... hooked up to my PC.

People who game on the PC and PS3 will have far less incentive to purchase a Xbox 360 but that's not to say there isn't a ton of games to play on it.
I'm in this camp, I don't even remember the last Xbox game I bought, but that's more due to having an insane Steam backlog of games to get through. Anyways, dumb IMO to judge a non-Nintendo console just based on its first party games, it should be based on all the games available for it.

Takao

Banned
Who said that owning a system disqualifies someone from trolling it or being a fanboy of another system?
And I didn't call out a single person in this thread specifically for not owning the system. I believe you own it, I believe that AngelSolider owns it, I also believe that Derrick owned it.
That still doesn't preclude your biases from clogging up the thread.

My first couple of posts in this thread were what I felt were legitimate criticisms of Microsoft and their strategy. While it's true I do favour Sony over the others at the end of the day I play games not brands. Microsoft didn't bring me the games this year, and it disappointed me that they could have so much success and still have nothing for me. Like I said in my last post, I'd rather have Rare making a new Banjo or Pinata that targets the family audience but is still fun to me, but instead they're making Kinect Sports...

Truth be told the console I played the most this year is probably the Wii. But that's largely because I didn't complete a bunch of older games (still haven't finished DKC:R), and I'm quasi-addicted to DDR. I'm mostly a handheld gamer now.

My first couple of posts in this thread were what I felt were legitimate criticisms of Microsoft and their strategy. While it's true I do favour Sony over the others at the end of the day I play games not brands. Microsoft didn't bring me the games this year, and it disappointed me that they could have so much success and still have nothing for me. Like I said in my last post, I'd rather have Rare making a new Banjo or Pinata that targets the family audience but is still fun to me, but instead they're making Kinect Sports...

Truth be told the console I played the most this year is probably the Wii. But that's largely because I didn't complete a bunch of older games (still haven't finished DKC:R), and I'm quasi-addicted to DDR. I'm mostly a handheld gamer now.

Did you play Gears 3? If you are looking for 360 exclusives I thought it was an amazing game. Definitely worth checking out if you havent.

Takao

Banned
Did you play Gears 3? If you are looking for 360 exclusives I thought it was an amazing game. Definitely worth checking out if you havent.

I'm not a large fan of the Gears series so I didn't check that out.

Before anyone else asks, no I didn't check out Uncharted 3 either.

This is not meant to be incendiary, but out of all those consoles sold I wonder how many still function.
Well either they work or have died and Microsoft has replaced them.
It would be interesting to note the number of people whose 360 died right after the 3 year warranty died and never ended up getting a second console. I'd wager that number is probably really small.

Overall though, Microsoft has probably had to make around 20-25 million extra 360 as replacements. That's what cost them those billions in writing off the RROD issue.

I'm not a large fan of the Gears series so I didn't check that out.

Before anyone else asks, no I didn't check out Uncharted 3 either.

I love both Gears and Uncharted but I think Gears 3 is such a great game. My wife and I play it almost ever night. MP is so varied and fun and the community is great, we play public games all the time and constantly come across good people. Before writing off the 360 and saying it doesnt have any good games this year you should really try it, it is a huge improvement over Gears 2, which I have complained about a lot.

Just curious, but are there people who would buy a next gen Microsoft console? I mean, Halo and Halo 2 basically defined my college years, but MS has spent the last five years making sure to alienate me as hard as possible:

-Two broken consoles (one RRoD, one ate discs, MS would not replace the discs)
-Charging for online play when literally every other Internet capable machine (even the DS!) does it for free
-Gating "services" behind Gold, as if that's ever a deciding factor in someone's purchase and not simply a big eff you to Silver members
-Only one free DLC per game
-Very few quality "E" games (important for those of us who play as a family)
-Kinect was broken and useless, I told myself not to buy into the hype but bought one anyway, only to find that Kinect is laggy, unresponsive, inaccurate, and won't read small children

Couple that with Microsoft's general lack of quality non-XBLA exclusives, and I can't see a scenario where MS convinces me to buy another hardware.

EDIT: Kinect is the first and only time I've ever believed in publishers buying reviews, as the reviews almost universally praised the tech and yet it didn't work on even a basic level.

Banned
Amazing seeing gamers on gaming forum congratulating MS for not giving a fuck about them.

Micosoft makes plenty of games that I like to play.

Just curious, but are there people who would buy a next gen Microsoft console? I mean, Halo and Halo 2 basically defined my college years, but MS has spent the last five years making sure to alienate me as hard as possible:

-Charging for online play when literally every other Internet capable machine (even the DS!) does it for free
-Gating "services" behind Gold, as if that's ever a deciding factor in someone's purchase and not simply a big fuck you to Silver members
-Kinect was broken and useless, I told myself not to buy into the hype but bought one anyway, only to find that Kinect is laggy, unresponsive, inaccurate, and won't read small children

Couple that with Microsoft's general lack of quality non-XBLA exclusives, and I can't see a scenario where MS convinces me to buy another hardware.

I love Xbox Live and it is cheap to me so I dont care about the cost. They also have a ton of exclusives for the system so I dont know what you are talking about there.

-Gating "services" behind Gold, as if that's ever a deciding factor in someone's purchase and not simply a big eff you to Silver members

It's my least anticipated of the 3 next gen but I still need to see how it is for a couple months after release before I make a decision. I know that if these bolded things are still their practices, which I'm guessing they will be it will be. It will very hard for me to jump in again.

Hero

Great job for Microsoft in giving the 360 a second launch with the slim + Kinect. But bragging about barely outselling your competitors when one of them is virtually a dead console and the other one is one of the biggest system screw ups is not exactly making me clap.

This is not meant to be incendiary, but out of all those consoles sold I wonder how many still function.

Trollololol.

Seriously... how many times do you people have to repeat this. I wonder how many PS3s are just bluray players? Better?

Great job for Microsoft in giving the 360 a second launch with the slim + Kinect. But bragging about barely outselling your competitors when one of them is virtually a dead console and the other one is one of the biggest system screw ups is not exactly making me clap.

There are so many tears in this thread that I will smile all day today. Some of you people are so emo you could probably cry under water.

Fact is that MS has done a great job with the 360. Wide audience, good marketing, Kinect, good online, great games and very good third party support. Sony didn't lose... MS won.

Trollololol.

Seriously... how many times do you people have to repeat this. I wonder how many PS3s are just bluray players? Better?

There are so many tears in this thread that I will smile all day today. Some of you people are so emo you could probably cry under water.

Fact is that MS has done a great job with the 360. Wide audience, good marketing, Kinect, good online, great games and very good third part support. Sony didn't lose... MS won.

Why the venom? It's comments like these I'm referring to when I said the outpouring of emotions. It's almost like PS3 fans killed your family or something. :/

Fact is that MS has done a great job with the 360. Wide audience, good marketing, Kinect, good online, great games and very good third part support. Sony didn't lose... MS won.

Are you looking at the same graph i looked at cause there was a third console there... Kinda has been beating them both and you don't mention it in an argument at all.

Me smells fanboy bias.

And on your bluray player comment, what so bad about that? a sale is a sale and you mad your Xbox doesn't have one?

How petty some 1 console owners can be.

Are you looking at the same graph i looked at cause there was a third console there... Kinda has been beating them both and you don't mention it in an argument at all.

Me smells fanboy bias.

And on your bluray player comment, what so bad about that? a sale is a sale and you mad your Xbox doesn't have one?

How petty some 1 console owners can be.

Look up the word sarcasm.

There! You learn something new every day!

IrishNinja

OXmh8.jpg

squidyj

EDIT: Kinect is the first and only time I've ever believed in publishers buying reviews, as the reviews almost universally praised the tech and yet it didn't work on even a basic level.

I doubt I would buy MS' next console. If they keep chasing casual tail and marketing new features around that and putting their publishing dollar into that then there's no appeal there for me. If they continue to be the only one charging for their online service then screw them, if they continue to be draconian about their marketplace then why would I ever want to buy a game on their platform knowing I'm going to wind up getting gouged for the content?

I'm not saying I'd never buy a new MS console but they've got a mountain of shit to fix before I'd do it.

I seriously don't know what's going on in here.

X360 is topping PS3? Erm - so what? Who frigging cares?!

Yeah, that was my thought as well when I first noticed this thread (if anything's worth making threads about it's the fact that Microsoft's Xbox business has been bringing in tons of cash for years now, while PlayStation is still struggling to turn any significant profit; unit sales are hardly important at this point), but then I actually read it and now I have to admit it was worth it for the amusement factor alone.

So much for the ps3 taking over the 360 worldwide.

Once Microsoft drops the price, that will be the slitting of the throat.

*smirk.

Depends if it's relevant once they both start releasing their next gen consoles. If they price drop this year it doesn't look good for Sony. MS has no real reason to price drop this year though.

szaromir

Banned

Sony and Nintendo rarely bring games that suit my tastes, should I troll their publishing strategy wherever possible? Just think about it.

Gears 3 was great, but my favorite exclusive was both Ms Splosion Man the game and then the Ms Splosion Man pinball table on FX2. My favorite table in the game now.

Can we change the thread title to upJTboogie's dismissal of the 360 strategy and lineup of games. Thanks. I mean after 40 posts in the thread I think something should be done to warn folks before they enter. Can the thread be restarted to get back to actual sales and create another thread where people bring up lineups for the systems. This is ridiculous.

If your not happy, discuss your feelings if you feel like it, it is a forum after all.

Can't tell if you're serious.

there is room for opinion in sales threads, but it's funny how it's usually never people cheering on the winning console that bring them into the thread. there's a bit of a history of that happening at gaf, whichever system fans we're talking about.

it's sort of like bringing discussion of other regions sales in threads that are focussed on a different region. whatever the intention, and however genuine you may be, people will think you are damage controlling the sales news, because they've seen it done so many times in the past.

when you post something like 'yeah well, i don't care cause Sony has better exclusives!' it makes it sound like you do care about sales, even if you don't. it makes it seem like you are upset about the sales, even if you aren't.

when some other group is getting beaten up financially, it'll be people who like that group posting those kind of statements in a thread like this. just wait until 'you prefered team' is winning and you'll get your day of fun looking rational and not having people second guess everything you type.

and you'll see that i'm not a Microsoft fanboy, because i'll be laughing at the fanboys in any thread.

as ever it's harder to spot the fanboys of the 'team' that's winning in sales, because facts coincidentally line up with their preferred version of reality. you have to wait for the facts to contradict it before they're easy to spot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
After the, what, 2 month long PSN hack debacle, I think Sony are actually doing pretty damn well for getting within 1m units globally of 360!

Because lets be honest, if that didn't depress their sales performance, nothing will.

After the, what, 2 month long PSN hack debacle, I think Sony are actually doing pretty damn well for getting within 1m units globally of 360!

Because lets be honest, if that didn't depress their sales performance, nothing will.

I actually bought my PS3 during, and partially because of, the PSN outage. Retailers were offering some crazy deals then--my $300 model came with a free game (LBP GotY) and a $160 gift card.

Curufinwe

If you want to accuse me of something based on having an Azumanga Daioh/Totoro avatar, then be a real man like the guy in your avatar and say it. You don't always accuse other GAF members of being pedophiles, but when you do it'll be your last ever post.

there is room for opinion in sales threads, but it's funny how it's usually never people cheering on the winning console that bring them into the thread. there's a bit of a history of that happening at gaf, whichever system fans we're talking about.

it's sort of like bringing discussion of other regions sales in threads that are focussed on a different region. whatever the intention, and however genuine you may be, people will think you are damage controlling the sales news, because they've seen it done so many times in the past.

when you post something like 'yeah well, i don't care cause Sony has better exclusives!' it makes it sound like you do care about sales, even if you don't. it makes it seem like you are upset about the sales, even if you aren't.

when some other group is getting beaten up financially, it'll be people who like that group posting those kind of statements in a thread like this. just wait until 'you prefered team' is winning and you'll get your day of fun looking rational and not having people second guess everything you type.

and you'll see that i'm not a Microsoft fanboy, because i'll be laughing at the fanboys in any thread.

as ever it's harder to spot the fanboys of the 'team' that's winning in sales, because facts coincidentally line up with their preferred version of reality. you have to wait for the facts to contradict it before they're easy to spot.
That's not true, there are people who bring their opinions on the winning console, they'll talk about how much they enjoy it and glad it's winning, which is cool. This discussion is actually relevant to the thread and different from a complete topic change.

As for the rest of the post, if they're are people that read so much into these posts try do dismiss legitimate opinions as damage control or being salty, which I have already seen many times in the thread, than that just tells me they just don't like seeing those kind of opinions, most likely because they don't agree with them. which in turn shows I should ignore their posts because they aren't to be taken seriously.

Derrick01

Banned
Can we change the thread title to upJTboogie's dismissal of the 360 strategy and lineup of games. Thanks. I mean after 40 posts in the thread I think something should be done to warn folks before they enter. Can the thread be restarted to get back to actual sales and create another thread where people bring up lineups for the systems. This is ridiculous.

There's really not much to talk about to have a 10 page thread. MS outsold everyone last year...ok what now? 5 pages of congrats?

If you want to accuse me of something based on having an Azumanga Daioh/Totoro avatar, then be a man and say it.

Not that I like what he's doing, but I do believe he's calling you a weeaboo.

Top Bottom