• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who have pre-ordered: How was your Switch Pre-order experience?

Mohonky

No idea, I sat on my ass and went online and preordered from EB Games in Australia;

Switch Console
Zelda BotW Masters Edition
Splatoon 2

Ordered for local pick up in store, nothing about sold out Zelda special editions so assuming they have them still.

Preordered from the Gamestop near my job.

Quick and easy. No lines. But the other two people there were also preordering. But they said I was guaranteed the console day one and had a specific allotment to the store.

Kintaco

Feel like trading in my Wii U at Gamestop. But as a collector is hard to let go. I wonder if I'll be able to repurchase a Wii U later on the cheap?

Preordered from GameStop, was third in line at 9:30
Other people got in line, regretted speaking to some of them.
"Majora's Mask was ruined by being able to save anywhere on 3DS"
"MegaMan 10 shouldn't have had an easy mode"
"Cod and Battlefield are shit"
"That's gay"

Yeesh, some people. Glad I had my 3DS to play.

akileese

The one thing I'm still trying to find is the special edition of breath of the wild

Anyone know where I can pre order?

Gamestop in the US appeared to have the SE but no Master Edition. I'm waiting for it to go up there.

My experience was...cold. It's mid 40s in Texas and the air has a real bite to it.

Bdub

I was stuck in a meeting at 9 EST, so I tried to order from Amazon and Best Buy Canada, but neither would work.

So after my meeting, I drove over to EB with a co-worker, and we each managed to pre-order systems and games.

AGITΩ

Went in to work (best buy) right as it opened. Asked my coworkers if the Skus worked in store. They confirmed, also that plenty of them had already preordered before store opened. So i put down $100 and then submitted paid time off for 4 days from launch. The end.

Brandson

Was refreshing Amazon.ca starting from 8:55am. By 9:02 the page still showed Switch as unavailable, despite Neogaf saying you could preorder it already. Eventually the grey Switch showed up for me. Went to add it to my cart, but it didn't add. Went back to the Switch page, refreshed, saw it was still there and tried again. Gave up after it couldn't be added to my cart after about 10 tries. Tried again from a different computer a bit later but it was already sold out. Then tried Best Buy Canada. It was already sold out. EB's online store wouldn't load for me. Just tried walking to a nearby EB and they were sold out too.

So I guess my pre-order experience could have been better.

...I went to Gamestop this morning not for Switch pre-orders, but to see if they got a shipment of the The NES Classic Edition in. Come to find out from that store's manager, they will not be getting anymore shipments and their stock is truly gone.

As for the rest...

...There was a line of about 10 people ahead of me and the sign my store had posted was for a 30 unit allocation. One guy in the line went and got donuts for everyone, which was cool.

The pre-order for the Switch was $50, and the normal $5 down for the controller and games. The Zelda version with the statue was $100.

People were pretty much getting the system and Zelda, with a few Mario pre-orders to go with that. Otherwise not much else.

If I wanted one, I could have gotten a pre-order done. But watching last night just seemed to reinforce the fact that I was watching the Wii-U 2.0 - this thing might be a hit with the loyal, but it does nothing to improve upon the issues Nintendo consoles seems to have - lack of power, lack of lineup, and the hint of supply/demand issues yet again.

l am already FRUSTRATED by the lack of a NES Classic Edition to be found anywhere at retail (over two weeks after Christmas at this point!), so I am just going to pass on the whole thing this time because I feel Nintendo does this on purpose and I am not just not feeling it this time.

Jerm411

Went in to my GS this morning, they have an allotment of 12....I was 2nd, got one and Zelda pre-ordered.

Crazy thing was as I was being processed, 4 more people came in to pre-order. I live in a small town and rarely have a hard time finding anything at my GS or pre-ordering there if I want but after seeing the people come in I'm glad I got up early and went in.

Pre ordered last night from best buy soon after the conference stream ended, neon version for in store pickup - the store I picked is doing a midnight launch so pretty good.

Probably will still cancel before release but we'll see, at least I have the option now. I originally planned on doing a in store pre order at gamestop and still may since I have $800+ in credit at gamestop but cancelling pre orders is a real pain in the ass at gamestop (have to go in store, get a guilt trip) whereas online cancels at amazon/best buy are simple 1-2-3 clicks.

.hacked

At 5:30am I preordered 2 with instore pick up from Best Buy. Would only let me order one of each set (black and neon) and I had to pick a Best Buy that was 30mins away because local ines did not offer pickup.

prag16

Banned
Preordered from bestbuy.com for local store pickup. Took 5 seconds. Would rather have done Amazon, but I was in bed by the time that was up for amazon US.

Either way though, I doubt I'll keep the preorder. There's nothing I want until Mario and the price is kind of high. I have plenty of other stuff to play this year.

Managed to get a preorder for the console at best buy, and got a special edition Zelda preorder from gamestop.

Hoping and praying neither get cancelled.

Got my gray edition and Zelda special edition paid off at GameStop. Lots of people preordering the system and Zelda, and I got the last special edition of Zelda. I was so let down with the presentation last night until the Zelda trailer. I bought this with the the knowledge and expectation that it will be the only game worth owning for many months after launch, but that trailer... It has to be mine on launch day.

Indelible

I walked into ebgames Canada and pre-ordered the grey Switch and the Master edition of Zelda, pretty painless experience actually.

Koppai

Easy as pie...

Ordered on Walmart first
Ordered the wrong color on Best buy
Ordered the right color but card failed due to all the pre authorizations

Finally ordered the right one at Best Buy and paid with PayPal Credit.

Got the Special Edition Zelda from Amazon ordered.

Got home from a movie, watched the recording of the conference, then lucked into hopping online right about when pre orders went live. Put one in at Best Buy and Amazon in case of a random cancellation

Missed BotW Master Edition, but I'll survive.

Smooth sailing so far.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Went by GameStop at 1am to see how many systems they'd have, there were already two people in line.

Store closest to me had 51 systems, so I wasn't worried about getting one.

Drove up to the store this morning and got in line at 9:45 and was fifth in line.

Preordered a Gray Switch and paid off Zelda in full.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Walked into Game and just made the order, easy. They had a huge list of games and peripherals to choose from too but didn't bother with anything and will build a bundle on the day.

Sizzel

I literally just walked into Gamestop at lunch and got one. They had a bunch available. Sold out of the colored ones though.

Busaiku

My Gamestop got 51.
Between opening and me getting my order in, there maybe 8 - 10 people.
I think the price turned a lot off.

Scalpers are gonna get burned.

Copper

Amazon orders came back just a few minutes ago.

5847dbf3852a194ea235d7143ab7b4be.png

I assume this means I'm good to go?

bomblord1

Banned
I really regret not getting a colored one now. I was first in line but she was having trouble looking it up in the system so I just said go ahead and put me down for grey

Brew124

I had planned to wake up early and drive by the local Best Buy and Gamestop to see if there was a line.. but I overslept. Glad I did, because when I went by Best Buy at 8:30am, no one was in line. Called the 1-888 number, and the lady that answered informed me that they were sold out of preorders, and when I explained to her that their website was still accepting them, she informed me that the website had just not been updated yet. It's not almost 12:30pm, and I see they are still accepting them... so. There's that.

Drove across the street to grab breakfast (I could see the Gamestop from there, no line, but three cars parked in front). Pulled up to the parking lot about 9:15, there was one guy by the door. Around 9:30, the other two people that were in their cars got out, so I did as well. Chatted with them for the last half hour before opening, and by the time 10:00am rolled around, there were 17 people outside at a store receiving 33.

Pre-ordered the Red and Blue Switch (I already had pre-ordered the Grey Switch on Amazon last night before sleeping), and the Breath of the Wild Special Edition.

AaronMT86

I woke up at 8:30AM. Grabbed my iPad in bed, and hit pre-order on Amazon.ca (one click purchase, already signed in) at 8:57AM (it was available before the top of the hour) and fell back asleep.

flattie

Smooth. Amazon UK.

Still not certain I'll keep it - pretty much spending £340 to play Zelda. I'm not really that excited by the Switch (or the games that have been shown), but every time I watch the Zelda trailer my hype levels shoot up again.

But I look at the PS4 lineup for the first part of the year and I'm not sure I really want or need the Switch. Yakuza, Gravity Rush 2, RE7, Nier Automata and Horizon are all going to be monopolising my gaming time. But Zelda...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Opened up GAF, saw an Amazon link in some thread.

Sat and thought deeply about whether I should bother. Minutes later I have a Switch pre-ordered. No drama, refreshing pages, or scurrying across the internet for stock trackers once I decided.

Now I need Amazon to put up a Zelda pre-order page.

Lgndryhr

Pre-ordered from Best Buy online for store pickup. Missed first time when pre-orders appeared to run out this morning around 9am or 10am CST and then when second wave seemingly opened up I was able to snag one.

Waiting on Master Edition of BotW and Pro Controller to show up on Best Buy website.

brad-t

Was refreshing Amazon.ca starting from 8:55am. By 9:02 the page still showed Switch as unavailable, despite Neogaf saying you could preorder it already. Eventually the grey Switch showed up for me. Went to add it to my cart, but it didn't add. Went back to the Switch page, refreshed, saw it was still there and tried again. Gave up after it couldn't be added to my cart after about 10 tries. Tried again from a different computer a bit later but it was already sold out. Then tried Best Buy Canada. It was already sold out. EB's online store wouldn't load for me. Just tried walking to a nearby EB and they were sold out too.

So I guess my pre-order experience could have been better.

Exactly my experience, except I managed to get one at EB Games in person (Montreal). Sorry for your luck :(

Ashler

Logged in to amazon.fr at 8:00am CET, pre-ordered, checked-out, logged off.

Pretty simple, no trouble at all.

Walked into my local Gamestop and asked if they had any preorders available for the switch. They said yes and I preordered the neon controller one. Dropped a 50$ on it and that was all.

Managed to grab a pre-order for the Gray one at BB originally, but then saw the Neon one and pre-ordered that one as well and plan to cancel my original order. Fell asleep and woke up a few hours later and managed to pre-order the BotW Master Edition at Gamestop. Definitely not as bad as I was imagining, so hopefully all my orders go through.

Also, so glad GS shipping was free; it's usually ridiculous.

Xdrive05

I got in on the online Best Buy pre-orders last night. Guaranteed to have one on midnight of 03/03 at my local store.

The experience was meh at best. I forgot that I even had a Best Buy account, so when I tried to "create an account as part of the check-out", I got freaked out by an email saying that there was a problem creating the account. At first glance I thought it was a pre-order rejection email lol. Anyway, eventually the confirmation emails came so now I'm happy again. But the process could have been a little more clear on their website.

Top Bottom