• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who are playing Horizon and Zelda, which world do you enjoy exploring more?

Spinluck

Zelda.

We were ripping on Horizon like 5-10 minutes in, playing Green Hill Zone music and rolling everywhere. Shit is a joke in comparison to BotW, a glorified hallway so far. BotW throws you right in.

I thought I was harsh on the games open world/exploration elements... Lol

It's true though.

I mean, it kind of is the new bar for open world gaming in a lot of ways. That's not really all that crazy of a thing to say and you don't have to be a fanboy to believe it.

BUT if you disagree, make your voice heard.

That's because it is. Watch what open world games borrow from botw in the coming years, it's absolutely a paradigm shift for the genre.

You all three ignored the point of what I was saying.

I haven't played BOTW but I'm convinced it's true (if it counts for something).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't understand all the gripes here with people said they can't be compared as that would be "unfair". Why, exactly? Isn't 'open world' something that is intertwined and inseparable to the core identity of Horizon? Also, perhaps I read it wrong, but I don't think the OP actually specify or force anyone to only use one qualifier to determine which open world is better.

People value things differently, sure, I get that. For people who value open world combat better, then of course Horizon would win, and is there anything in the OP that stated, "No, you can't value combat more because it would make Horizon win!" Is there anything in the OP that forbids anyone to enter here saying "Man, I love combat much more and the open world combat in Horizon trumps Zelda by a huge margin and thus I love the open world of Horizon more!"?

If you value combat more? Good for you! If you value exploration more? Good for you! If you feel Horizon is better, good for you! If you feel Zelda is better, good for you! Why can't they be compared by people who have played both and why can't people who have done so cannot be asked which open world they enjoyed more? They are not so dissimilar after all in that one is an RPG and the other is a Racer or something like that.

I rushed through Horizon and beat it before Zelda came out. I finished it at around 20 hours while Zelda was 50hours. I have to say both are outstanding titles, but running around Zelda's world is a lot more fun. There's better landscapes, interesting things to come across or discover and it's an unbelievably free range experience. Horizon was very by the books , get to each marker on your map and do the thing there type of open world game. However the battles and non human enemies make Horizon phenomenal. If Zelda had more varied and interesting enemies it would've elevated it even more so.

What do you think the type of discussion that the OP wanted? Let's be frank, are you accusing him of a blind Zelda fanboy that tried to make Horizon look bad?

I wonder where you pulled that from seeing as the quote you bolded was me signifiying that the OP didn't want empty responses as to which one people enjoyed exploring more than the other. What's a thread if all the responses are just "I like game X." and end period. If he at least put details into his response I doubt he was looking for one page of people saying nothing that makes it feel more special for them.

I just thought that the fact that people were questioning his reasoning wasnt a bad thing entirely. There is no denying the obvious fumes this board has constantly built up for these two games but that's not what I'm getting at. I think the games are organically different that the feeling of both would not even be experienced the same. People are going to say how they feel about it regardless of what I think. I felt (obviously opinion) that one would not be able to explore one game vs the other on a similar playing field because they just aren't the same in nature. I don't think that I would explore the world of Horizon the same way I would explore zelda because it literally is no contest. Is that opinion wrong to have? No, but I don't see a problem with pointing out that organic difference and then explaining why you liked one over the other. Lots of people would love both of them to be woven into one game for each of the strengths they both have but obviously that's not going to happen.

I am a bystander that this thread wasn't even intended for since I didn't even play both but I wanted to see the opinions of people who played both. Things went there to which I wanted to know more about.

The Dude

I don't understand all the gripes here with people said they can't be compared as that would be "unfair". Why, exactly? Isn't 'open world' something that is intertwined and inseparable to the core identity of Horizon? Also, perhaps I read it wrong, but I don't think the OP actually specify or force anyone to only use one qualifier to determine which open world is better.

People value things differently, sure, I get that. For people who value open world combat better, then of course Horizon would win, and is there anything in the OP that stated, "No, you can't value combat more because it would make Horizon win!" Is there anything in the OP that forbids anyone to enter here saying "Man, I love combat much more and the open world combat in Horizon trumps Zelda by a huge margin and thus I love the open world of Horizon more!"?

If you value combat more? Good for you! If you value exploration more? Good for you! If you feel Horizon is better, good for you! If you feel Zelda is better, good for you! Why can't they be compared by people who have played both and why can't people who have done so cannot be asked which open world they enjoyed more? They are not so dissimilar after all in that one is an RPG and the other is a Racer or something like that.

Thank you, my intent was not to streamline this into favoring zelda even tho some posters want to find any way possible to act like everyone has some master agenda to shit on some games.. I couldn't be bothered to go around tryin to shit on games like that, i enjoy gaming way to much and is why I buy for Pc, ps4, switch, handhelds, etc

For people who know me and there are a few here in this thread that know me from IGN and other places, and they know I'm just a gamer who loves to game. I have no agenda on forums, I post whatever is on my mind.

The Dude

I ask as someone who has not played Horizon but has played Zelda, how does Zelda do ranged combat better?

For me horizon does ranged combat Better than any current game going. Zeldas ranged combat is fun but Horizon's is on another level of feeling like an absolute bad ass. Those battles are absolutely epic and there are so many ways to go about them.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
For me horizon does ranged combat Better than any current game going. Zeldas ranged combat is fun but Horizon's is on another level of feeling like an absolute bad ass. Those battles are absolutely epic and there are so many ways to go about them.
That's what I thought, but what I quoted made it sound like you thought Zelda had better ranged combat. Hence why I was asking.

The Dude

That's what I thought, but what I quoted made it sound like you thought Zelda had better ranged combat. Hence why I was asking.

Ah, I see. Yea, Horizon's combat is simply incredible. It's truly a must play for everyone imho at some point. For me the issue is just finding time to play both of these. Hell not even just these two games but nioh is another, we got 3 incredible games in such a quick swoop.

At the end of the day I'm just having a shit load of fun and that's all I know.

I haven't played Horizon at all since Zelda... It's just not worth playing over Zelda to me.

If they were beers, Zelda would be an Oatmeal Stout while Horizon is a Pilsner. Sure, I'll drink a Pilsner, but not when there's a better option on the table in front of me.

Hell, I'll probably finish Zelda, then play ME:A, then get back to Horizon even though I started playing it first.

Of course Zelda's better, but that freedom comes with a price. In terms of story, characters and lore, BOTW gets destroyed by Horizon.

They're so different but people can't seem to understand that. If you want incredible exploration, almost no hand holding, puzzles, fun mechanics, a more dynamic world...Zelda all the way. If you want a strong story with incredible combat then Horizon is probably more suited to you.

I must be an idiot because I feel blessed(feels bad to say this in 2017) to have played two great games in such a short amount of time. If every year was like this...

Edit: I enjoyed exploring Zelda more than Horizon.

wapplew

Can we try not shit on one game to prove another is better?
I'm getting unconformable either game get shit on. Please make Zelda vs GTA or Horizon vs Assassin creed comparison.
I have no love for both of those, have no problem everyone shit on them.

xxracerxx

I'm getting unconformable either game get shit on. Please make Zelda vs GTA or Horizon vs Assassin creed comparison.
Wait. So don't shit on these two games but DO shit on these other two games?

1upsuper

People compare things. We judge, evaluate, compare, contrast, and understand things in terms of other things. It's a completely natural tendency to weigh two things against each other, and it doesn't mean there's any sort of underlying agenda going on.

wapplew

People compare things. We judge, evaluate, compare, contrast, and understand things in terms of other things. It's a completely natural tendency to weigh two things against each other, and it doesn't mean there's any sort of underlying agenda going on.

Sure, not saying any sort of agenda, just hate that we have to come up with reason to pick one and most of the time that reason hurts another one you love.
It's like pick your favorite child, I'm more willing to pick my child against someone else.

1upsuper

Sure, not saying any sort of agenda, just hate that we have to come up with reason to pick one and most of the time that reason hurts another one you love.
It's like pick your favorite child, I'm more willing to pick my child against someone else.

And that's A-OK. We aren't trying to determine the objectively superior game. The question is fundamentally subjective.

The Dude

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

xxracerxx

So only compare them to games you do not personally like?

SarusGray

Its about 3 am soon, I'm tired.... Did I just read a comparison that this is like picking your favorite child?
Oh the dude. You should know by now comparison threads that compare only one aspect of a game is definitely equivalent to child comparision!

Crayon

Its about 3 am soon, I'm tired.... Did I just read a comparison that this is like picking your favorite child?

Yes but the important part is that it would be easy to pick your child over the neighbor kid. So try to err towards the neighbor kid rather than the sophie's choice scenario if you get the chance. Good night, The Dude.

reektann

Aloy needs a paraglider and the ability to climb anything in order to let me WANT to explore. Coming from BOTW has been absolutely jarring. I ran toward a pretty small rock face and she just bumped into it. Then I saw the little yellow climby indicators halfway along the rock and made a sad face.

The paraglider is absolutely key to BOTW exploration - I could look down at a forest area and just go there as I jump and glide down, serenely.I wish Aloy could glide like that :/

Aloy needs a paraglider and the ability to climb anything in order to let me WANT to explore. Coming from BOTW has been absolutely jarring. I ran toward a pretty small rock face and she just bumped into it. Then I saw the little yellow climby indicators halfway along the rock and made a sad face.

The paraglider is absolutely key to BOTW exploration - I could look down at a forest area and just go there as I jump and glide down, serenely.I wish Aloy could glide like that :/

If link lends her his paraglider, she'll give him some sticks.. I hear he keeps running out. :p

Yeah, it's not just the climbing that makes exploration in BotW so great. The paraglider is just as important. Climbing to the top of a mountain, jumping off, then gliding for days because you have three full stamina gauges never, ever gets old. It's like Batman's cape in Arkham City x10000000.

SarusGray

Let Aloy ride a storm bird and then we will be talking.

xxracerxx

It would be nice if Link could actually climb in the rain. The rain hinders my enjoyment or the exploration every damn time it appears.

reektann

It would be nice if Link could actually climb in the rain. The rain hinders my enjoyment or the exploration every damn time it appears.

I climbed in the rain anyway? Once you have a few things that assist stamina and climbing you can still climb a fair amount? Even if you slip back a little you outrun that slip due to the skills you've acquired. Personally I quite liked watching the weather and having moments where I'm halfway up a mountain worrying that the rain might impede me.

Crayon

I'm not crazy about the glider now. What's missing from the climbing in botw is the fear of falling. They get it a little bit with the stamina meter but I feel the climbing while fun, is a little too easy and the paraglider is part of it.

I'm not crazy about the glider now. What's missing from the climbing in botw is the fear of falling. They get it a little bit with the stamina meter but I feel the climbing while fun, is a little too easy and the paraglider is part of it.

If you run out of stamina while climbing, your paraglider isn't going to save you.

Elog

It is interesting to read people's impression of these two games. I actually do not find them remotely similar in terms of what the beating heart of the two games is.

Everything in my opinion of course.

HZN's heart is an open world game with focus on immersion and mystery with action-oriented combat with very tight and fluid - close to perfect - controls.

BOTW's heart is an open-world platformer with very smart and varied puzzles and multiple ways to explore the world.

So for me if combat and immersion is what you enjoy the most HZN will be the better choice. If you love platformers and puzzles BOTW will be your choice.

For me tight combat and immersion are probably the two most important aspects of any game I play so I find the choice easy.

sneas78

Banned
The world of Horizon is drop dead gorgeous and feels so real. I barely used fast travel or mounts.

BotW just feels boring to explore. Yeah, I guess there's more "stuff" to find but none of it actually interests me or rewards you with cool stuff like in previous Zelda games. Too much aimless wandering in an ugly world for too little pay off.
Lol. Ugly? Joke post.

Crayon

If you run out of stamina while climbing, your paraglider isn't going to save you.

I don't even think I have run out of stamina climbing yet... I've gotten close a few time but I always have stamina boosting food. I've never had a really horrible fall in the game. Now Grow Home, that game has some climbing and falling is scary and a constant threat. I would like it if zeldas climbing was a little closer to that. A little more challenging to get up that giant mountain.

reektann

Weird. I wouldn't call Horizons controls "tight" at all? They feel quite loose to me - especially melee attacks. Though that's not what this thread is about I guess.

I think the problem is that I am used to Zelda where I see a thing and go "off i go" as I launch through the sky then save myself at the last minute with my paraglider or scan the skyline as I'm hovering down and notice cool new things. Also if I come across a goblin camp I can choose to sneak around and climb up the back of the camp etc to attack.

Horizon I see a cool looking area far away and think "that looks like a right hassle to get to :/" and when clearing those camps of dudes I have to look for yellow climby holds to do what I was doing free form in BOTW.

reektann

Might just find the Horizon engine is doing some clever wizardry so gliding from distance and seeing huge draw distance would just make it collapse.

I don't even think I have run out of stamina climbing yet... I've gotten close a few time but I always have stamina boosting food. I've never had a really horrible fall in the game. Now Grow Home, that game has some climbing and falling is scary and a constant threat. I would like it if zeldas climbing was a little closer to that. A little more challenging to get up that giant mountain.

I do think food can make certain aspects of the game trivial, yeah. I always forget you can cook stamina-boosting meals and elixirs.

The Dude

Well to be technical, even tho I love zelda the climbing while awesome I do think some could make an argument that it loses a little immersion when you can just basically walk up walls. Not that I need games with bars to climb but even the side of a castle link can just climb up without any hitch. I mean mountains I understand a bit more but like tonight i saw a castle near a tower and thought I gotta find a way up thru the rocks but then realized I can just walk up the side of the walls.

reektann

I do think food can make certain aspects of the game trivial, yeah. I always forget you can cook stamina-boosting meals and elixirs.

Couple of times I did fall but in mid air I went into the menu, ate a stamina meal then used my paraglider. Link has mad eating whilst falling skills.

Crayon

Well to be technical, even tho I love zelda the climbing while awesome I do think some could make an argument that it loses a little immersion when you can just basically walk up walls. Not that I need games with bars to climb but even the side of a castle link can just climb up without any hitch. I mean mountains I understand a bit more but like tonight i seen a castle near a tower and thought I gotta find a way up thru the rocks but then realized I can just walk up the side of the walls.

For me it's not immersion but an opportunity for gameplay. I'd personally prefer some more risk /reward when it comes to the climbing. Most of us have climbed things. Someone chickens out. Someone else is brave and climbs higher. Occasionally someone gets hurt. Fun.

The Dude

For me it's not immersion but an opportunity for gameplay. I'd personally prefer some more risk /reward when it comes to the climbing. Most of us have climbed things. Someone chickens out. Someone else is brave and climbs higher. Occasionally someone gets hurt. Fun.

I agree, I'm saying it's a knock some could make for climbing in that the world becomes a little smaller since even the largest of structures can be scaled without any gear. The dude can just walk straight up castle walls.

Even in AC the idea is having footholds, window frames, indents, building design etc. That you're grabbing as you go.

Crayon

I agree, I'm saying it's a knock some could make for climbing in that the world becomes a little smaller since even the largest of structures can be scaled without any gear. The dude can just walk straight up castle walls.

I thought it would be cool if there where places you could sacrifice a weapon to make a foothold. I had many ideas. The game is inspiring in that way.

Top Bottom