• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who don't know, Devil's Third on Wii U uses UE3

(Here's some direct-feed gameplay from E3 for reference) And the source of the UE3 bit.

I find this interesting for numerous reasons.

First, this is if I recall the very first Nintendo-exclusive game to use UE3 (not the first to use UE in general, Red Steel used 2.5 IIRC, and seemingly the Prime games used an altered version of UE as found a while ago (edit: actually that's incorrect, see here)), but this is also the first Nintendo-published game to officially use UE ever isn't it?

But the other thing is, remember Mark Rein said he had no problem with someone attempting to squeeze UE4 to Wii U? Why haven't Valhalla given it a shot? You'd think with Itagaki at the helm and with Nintendo's full backing, that we'd have a recipe for success with that goal.

But as someone with not the greatest of knowledge of one engine's benefits over another; what WOULD be accomplished with trying to get UE4 on Wii U versus UE3? What would UE4 do on Wii U that couldn't be done with UE3? Would it unlock a secret sauce or what? Is it just easier to get things done over another engine?

I think we can at least agree that this will turn out better than the first Nintendo-exclusive game to use Cry Engine 3; Sonic Boom. :/ Big Red Button said they chose that due to it being good for making tropical environments.

Last but not least is that this is the THIRD engine for the game, after the Darksiders 2 engine (funny as that did make it to Wii U as a launch title) and an engine from Relic (don't know if which one was ever specified). You can see why they couldn't keep those (Darksiders being with Nordic and presumably Relic's engine went with them to Sega). There aren't many UE3 games on Wii U to begin with. Off the top of my head there's Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition, Batman Arkham Origins, and Mass Effect 3: Special Edition.

Thoughts?

GrayFoxPL

You sure it isn't UE1? Could've fooled me

iiXVhcCPDg9dj.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Does it run at 60 fps? That's the big question.

If not then it was a poor choice as every other game Itagaki has worked on in the past was designed around a high frame-rate.

I must say, though, it's quite ugly. The main character just looks ugly and the visual design of the stages shown looks like 50 Cent Blood on the Sand (not to knock Fiddy too much).

But the other thing is, remember Mark Rein said he had no problem with someone attempting to squeeze UE4 to Wii U? Why haven't Valhalla given it a shot? You'd think with Itagaki at the helm and with Nintendo's full backing, that we'd have a recipe for success with that goal.
Devil's 3rd was likely had a lot of work done in UE3 for the PS360 when it was ported to the Wii U. Seems like Nintendo isn't investing too much into it and is just paying enough to finish the game and optimize
maybe
it on Wii U. It looked pretty rough visually and frame rate wise at e3 so I imagine Valhalla doesn't have too much technical knowledge to port over UE4 and make it work well on Wii U

Does it run at 60 fps? That's the big question.

If not then it was a poor choice as every other game Itagaki has worked on in the past was designed around a high frame-rate.

I must say, though, it's quite ugly. The main character just looks ugly and the visual design of the stages shown looks like 50 Cent Blood on the Sand (not to knock Fiddy too much).
A UE3 game @ 60 fps? :lolol. Only fighting games can pull it off.

atr0cious

Is UE4 backwards compatible? Maybe they are done enough with things where they don't wanna pull a DNF, and keep hopping engines, like Squenix is doing right now.

Ninja Dom

A UE3 game @ 60 fps? :lolol. Only fighting games can pull it off.

This is a big question. Ninja Gaiden 1, Black and 2 were made around a 60fps combat engine and that should also be applicable here.

I'm really, really looking forward to this game, Itagaki has not yet done wrong in my eyes. I even enjoyed Ninja Gaiden DS.

Well, despite Mark Rein's comment, there is clearly no official support for Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U, as seen on the FAQ. CryEngine is Wii U ready, on the other way. Though it does not seems to be very popular.

Lijik

Well, despite Mark Rein's comment, there is clearly no official support for Unreal Engine 4 on Wii U, as seen on the FAQ. CryEngine is Wii U ready, on the other way. Though it does not seems to be very popular.
Mark Rein did the same "we dont support it but if you want to try go ahead" thing with UE3 on the wii last gen. I dont think any wii game wound up using the engine

Mark Rein did the same "we dont support it but if you want to try go ahead" thing with UE3 on the wii last gen. I dont think any wii game wound up using the engine

Closest we ever got to an HD engine on Wii was MT Framework Lite in Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes.

Ninja Dom

September 2014 Famitsu interview with Itagaki said:
Q10. Can you tell me the attractive features of Wii U hardware?

TI: It might sound surprising to you, but the Wii U is actually a very flexible hardware and library. We've been able to add necessary functions to it and it has definitely been satisfying. We are using the Unreal Engine, and we've added a ton of our own modifications to that as well. This might be too much of a tangent, but after my family and my team's families heard we are developing on Nintendo hardware, their interest in the game has gone way up. (laugh)
From the link Hero of Legend posted above.

impact

Banned
Agreed. The potential for a fun game is there. He just needs enough time.

It's Itagaki so of course there's a chance this could be awesome (to play)

It just doesn't look to be that game yet. You'd think after so many years working on this game he would have something incredible.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So not only is this an ugly game, it's also the exact kind of cover based dude bro" game U owners shun, and snub the other systems for having.
Good luck with this one Nintendo.

It's Itagaki so of course there's a chance this could be awesome (to play)

It just doesn't look to be that game yet. You'd think after so many years working on this game he would have something incredible.

Yes indeed, but not let's forgot how troubled the development was. But I already got the Ninja Gaiden 2 vibe from it to some degree. It can still turn out shit, but I will judge the final product. However I see why people would say it does look shit atm.

I really want to believe Itagaki is going to pull through with an amazing action game, but the last trailer was underwhelming to say the least.

What's interesting is that looking at Valhalla's website, all three of Ninja Gaiden 2's directors which include Itagaki are at Valhalla. Hopefully that's indeed still true even if the employee count says it's as of 2010...

Hiltz

Wii U was never designed to be future-proofed by Nintendo to run these next generation third party game engines (like Unreal Engine 4 and Capcom's Panta Rei) that require more processing power and memory than what Wii U can handle. Capcom already clarified that its new engine is specifically meant for Xbox One,PS4 and PC, not Wii U, PS3 and Xbox 360. Wii U essentially was made to only run games using the same engines made for PS3 and Xbox 360. That was Nintendo's plan in attempt to leech off of the extended last generational multiplatform third party support Ps3 and Xbox 360.

As far as Devil's Third goes, and as others have mentioned already, Itagaki did indeed reveal the project's troubled development history. The best we can hope for is for Valhalla games to polish the game the best they can.

Meesh

So not only is this an ugly game, it's also the exact kind of cover based dude bro" game U owners shun, and snub the other systems for having.
Good luck with this one Nintendo.
Wow, they do? I'll have to look into this, I didn't get the memo...

2San

I feel bad for the guys who left team ninja for Valhalla studio's. I love Itagaki's past output, but this looks terrible.

I'm sure there are worse looking UE3 games, but I really can't recall any.

Top Bottom