• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor: Reviewers Reporting Frame Rate Problems With 'CoD: Ghosts' On PS4

nib95

Banned
Must be fairly rare drops otherwise they'd have put the PS4 version at 900p instead. Frame rate woes were the reason Rubin gave as to why they dropped the Xbox One version's resolution to 720p. So the Xbox One version must have been running at a much worse frame rate compared to the PS4 for them to want to drop the resolution so substantially. Be interesting to see how all the versions fare in the DF comparison.

GC: So is that something the new consoles can’t do or you just didn’t have time to implement it?

MR: No, it’s… well, you can do almost anything, almost. Tessellation can’t be done on current gen for the most part, because it’s a DirectX 11 feature, but we could still do it but you’d get a frame rate of 2. So that really becomes the reason we do everything: the reason the Xbox One is 720, the reason the PlayStation 4 is 1080 is we’re trying to make the game look as good as it possible can and making sure we maintain our 60 frames per second.

Derrick01

Banned
Weird, I expected reviewers to talk about how they can't tell the difference between 60 and 30fps.

Oh it's the ps4 version? That makes more sense now.

Mugatu

I wonder how prevalent it is.

I remember the original BLOPS had framerate problems during explosions, especially when somoene called in a napalm strike in multiplayer.

Just blink faster and you'll never notice the framerate.

But are we talking about 5fps drops? 10? 15?

Also stating rock solid FPS is a joke. I've never played COD that never dropped when a ton was going on at once

fallagin

Interesting stuff. I expect journalists to not reference this in any way, because graphical differences don't matter apparently. It's all the same, no one cares about graphics it's all about the games. :p

Anyway, that would be pretty shit. Maybe they should've gone 900p.

StoopKid

Not that I think this shouldn't be reported, but why is it that negative things about Sony's console seem to be emphasized more.

The same outlets quoted always make sure to declare that resolution difference is not going to be noticeable to the general public, where's the same for this?

If people can't tell between 720p and 1080p they certainly can't tell 60 fps and 60 fps with occasional drops to 50 some

game journalism.

EDGE:review "While the PS4 version runs at a native 1080p, that precious framerate drops briefly before checkpoints, which are at least placed so that the odd stutter never affects gunplay."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If the 360 version is the only one that runs at a steady framerate it's going to be embarassing all around.

Jomjom

Banned
Weird, I expected reviewers to talk about how they can't tell the difference between 60 and 30fps.

I'm thinking is more like occasional drops to 55fps or whatever. I guess people can easily see that difference, but not 1080p and 720p.

Timurse

Banned
It's just IW being shitty developers as always. They can only make a game OK on the platform they've been working on for 8 years. Even PS3 ports are shitty. Not to mention next-gen. Considering how horrible PC version of CODG is at the moment I doubt IW would ever do any good game (from optimization perspective) on anything beside 360.
PS. Though I can't say that about Treyarch. Yes their games are not stellar on other platforms but definitely better than IW ones :(
PPS. Oh god how I miss my 26 days in MW2 on 360.

Pop

Exactly.

I bet it's barely even noticeable and after seeing BF4 and Killzone, I blame IW for this. The PC version is unoptimized and runs like shit.

So best version frameratewise are X360 and Wii U, with no info yet on XB1.

X360 and XB1 better versions go inline with MS partnerships so not really a surprise, still waiting on the XB1 impressions though. XB1 will probably have issues too.

X360 and PS3 are where the majority of sales are expected though

History

Neo Member
Notice how the Xbone version was not mentioned. This is because the Xbox one reviews are embargoed until the 12th of November.

Scenario 1: The xbone does not have the same issues as the PS4, meaning that they should have lowered the resolution on the ps4. This points to the developer as making poor decisions on quality control for COD: Ghosts.

Scenario 2: The xbone has the same framerate issues as the PS4, meaning that Activision has poor optimization practices for next gen games.

Either way, this reflects poorly on Activision.

Dukey

Banned
Exactly.

I bet it's barely even noticeable and after seeing BF4 and Killzone, I blame IW for this. The PC version is unoptimized and runs like shit.

You're going to lose that bet:

Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches.

Additionally, the PlayStation 4 version has a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate. This usually seemed to happen when a lot of smoke or other effects were on-screen, but occasionally it occurred in multiplayer for reasons I couldn't even guess at

Beowulf28

r5Q7qsK.gif

Eusis

We'll, at least if the XB1 stays 60 more reliably there'll be a real trade off to consider, though it doesn't sound like this is the case.

Top Bottom