• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Edibles Are The Next Big Thing For Pot Entrepreneurs

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Forbes

As more states legalize cannabis for recreational use, edibles will become a huge market for entrepreneurs. In California alone, consumers gobbled up more than $180 million worth of marijuana-infused food and drinks last year, 10% of the state’s cannabis sales, according to Arcview Market Research.

And it’s not just California that’s seeing a growing edibles market. Sales of pot-infused treats increased 121% last year in Washington state, where recreational marijuana is legal, according to cannabis analytics firm Headset Inc. And since Colorado first allowed recreational marijuana use, sales tripled from $17 million in the first quarter of 2014 to $53 million in the third quarter of 2016.

The reason for the explosive growth is that as the pot market expands, it’s starting to reach people who don’t want to smoke. Overall the smoking rate among adults is down from 20.6% in 2009 to 16.8% in 2014. Edibles provide a discrete, smoke-free experience. And since they can command higher prices, edibles often account for 25 to 60% of a dispensary’s profits.

That makes edibles an appealing slice of the pot pie, which was worth an estimated $7.2 billion in 2016, and is projected to grow up to 25% annually.

Matt Fosburg, founder of Ez THC, believes that’s poised to change and that there will soon be a market for high-end cannabis candy. With a background in retail design and candy making, Fosburg wants to bring the trappings of high-end retail — quality, consistency and a great in-store experience — to the world of marijuana treats.

But just as we’ve seen markets for food like heirloom tomatoes and artisanal pickles, Fosburg believes there will be consumers who prefer a gourmet product.

“From the beans we buy, to the THC distillate we source, every component of our bar is of the highest quality,” Fosburg says. “This is not your everyday machine-manufactured bar, but rather truly handmade.”

Based in California, Fosburg can only sell his bars through medical marijuana dispensaries right now. That will change next year when California’s Proposition 64, the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA), goes into full effect. At that point, it will be legal for entrepreneurs to open brick-and-mortar stores outside of dispensaries as long as they obtain the necessary city and state licenses.

"Next" big thing Forbes pls.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If pot ever gets legalized anywhere near me in the North East I'm seriously tempted to get into the business somehow and edibles might be a big one. I've gotten quite good at making hash butter and baking and cooking with it.

norm9

My local pharmacy has maybe twenty strains of bud in jars, and then a shit ton of edibles. Somebody must be buying it, not me though.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does ingesting pot cause a different effect than smoking it or are edibles just made to be much more potent? People always talking about edibles being like hallucinogens lol

Every year pot makes me feel more anxious than before, and edibles are even worse. I never pass on a good brownie even if I regret it later though.

If pot ever gets legalized anywhere near me in the North East I'm seriously tempted to get into the business somehow and edibles might be a big one. I've gotten quite good at making hash butter and baking and cooking with it.

someone needs to come up with hash macarons, I'd be all over them.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Learning to make good edibles is a valuable skill. I feel like in Canada people will start taking up baking classes in droves.

I don't mind, edibles are a lot better for me. I know some people it can be too intense for. I remember my first time I took the subway... Everytime the train stopped I was like "WELL, THIS IS MY STOP!" and got off onto the platform. Took me like 3 hours to get home, but I had a fucking blast.

rambis

Banned
Does ingesting pot cause a different effect than smoking it or are edibles just made to be much more potent? People always talking about edibles being like hallucinogens lol

Its definitely a different high in my experience. Most weed I primarily feel in my head, edibles take my whole body places.

Personally I've found ingesting marijuana gives more of a body high than a head high, if that makes sense. They are generally way more powerful, but I think you can buy different doses when regulated.

VAST varieties of edibles have been available as long as it's been legal here. You can pretty much get anything you want at the shop...not much reason to expand that end of it. It's covered.

They are working on getting pot into restaurants now.

wwm0nkey

People always do too much because it doesn't hot them until like 2 hours later and it can be next level lol

Friend bought too much in Seattle, forgot until he was about to go back home, ate 4 cookies and said it was the worst flight he ever took lol

Tenck

Smoking it from a joint I can feel a slight tingling feeling all over my body. Definitely feel it in my head.

Edibles cranks that up a depending on how much I ate. It feels better in every way.

Next big thing? Never took any form of weed in my life, but I figured that this isn't new. They've had shops for years in California.

That makes edibles an appealing slice of the pot pie...

I'm just gonna put this out there, weed infused key lime pie not only gives you a great high, but the weed itself lends some enhancement to the flavor.

Fuchsdh

The faster people are eating their weed instead of smoking it and filling the air with the smell of it, the better.

Aces&Eights

Made brownies back in my 20s and had no idea what I was doing. Made a small tray with an ounce and then ate 4 of them. I couldn't get out of my recliner for 12 hours. It also looked like someone took a red Sharpe and colored my eyes with it.

So I can kinda give you a breakdown on what it feels like. Smoking pot is a heady high. It takes your mind and body into the clouds before gently bringing you back down. Edibles are a body high. Because they are secreted during digestion, it's a bit more slow-release (I've literally eaten a pot truffle at the end of a big meal, only to be floored later because I forgot I ate it) so the high lasts longer. It can totally cause auditory hallucinations, and sometimes visual.

Yes it is a different metabolic process.

Smoking thc has it go directly to the brain, but ingesting it means it has to go through the stomach and is then metabolized by the liver.

It is objectively a more intense high, and can be comparable to mushrooms

The Kree

Banned
If weed makes you hungry and all you got is weed to eat you're basically gonna eat until you die, right?

I'm pretty sure that's what I would do.

Sinfamy

My local dispensary has a sign saying that edibles are very potent but not to freak out and that you will come down.
I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
I could hear my heart beat, had major anxiety.
Took 5 gummies, I don't remember the potency, but there were 3 per bag.

Zertez

Depends on several factors but for the most part yes it is a very different effect. Without getting into technical aspects of strains, generalizing edibles are more of a body high and smoking is more of a mental sensation. Edibles help a lot more with my CD than smoking does. Edibles can lead to a bad time if you don't follow dosing information or take more before the 1st dose kicks in.

Linkyn

Beginners tend to underestimate the potency of edibles because it takes a while for the effect to kick in (as opposed to smoking, which is fairly quick), so they end up eating too much at once. I spent my first high from edibles just lying on my bed staring at the ceiling because I got too dizzy standing up.

Good times.

Volimar

I never smoked cigarettes so I don't have any interest in smoking pot. The suckers and hard candy are interesting. Also that spray that Patrick Stewart uses on his hands for his arthritis.

Xe4

Banned
Edibles are an awful fucking idea and there should be strict regulations on their use. They can be horrible if ingested in an incorrect dosage or worse if kids get into them. Big business, sure, but it is tantamount that something as dangerous as edibles (or any drug that is easy to overdo) be taken with the upmost seriousness.

5taquitos

Edibles are an awful fucking idea and there should be strict regulations on their use. They can be horrible if ingested in an incorrect dosage or worse if kids get into them. Big business, sure, but it is tantamount that something as dangerous as edibles (or any drug that is easy to overdo) be taken with the upmost seriousness.
Edibles aren't dangerous.

And the kid excuse is tired, they'd be fucked up if they got into your flower too.

andymcc

Banned

Your kid has a better chance of killing themself with legally prescribed pills or alcohol.

As soon as PA goes for legalization, I'm gonna be the weed cupcake king of the midwest.

Cannibutter and oils are easy to make. My sister wants to do the same thing. She's a damn good baker. I keep telling her to start filling out the licensing and she hasn't.

Your kids will be safe if they eat edibles accidentally. California has regulations (not sure how this will work) that limits the type of edible so it's not something kids can confuse. There's two markets though. The medical and the state legalized one. The medical one has different regs. You can get lolipops, gummy bears etc etc. I don't expect that kind of thing to be in liqueur stores though. We will see.

Next big thing? Bit late on that.

I recently tried a gummy one which was pretty good. Also saw weed Root Beer, but I didn't trust that one.

Edit: lol strict regulations.

I remember when my brother said those two brownies in his mini-fridge were ok to eat.

Spent the next five hours thinking I was having an aneurysm/stroke.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I never smoked cigarettes so I don't have any interest in smoking pot. The suckers and hard candy are interesting. Also that spray that Patrick Stewart uses on his hands for his arthritis.

One of the best pain relieving salves I used was based on pot with some other natural ingredients. It works wonders on my fucked up rotator cuff muscles

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Cannibutter and oils are easy to make. My sister wants to do the same thing. She's a damn good baker. I keep telling her to start filling out the licensing and she hasn't.

Easy to make sure, but there are degrees in quality and effeciency. And using the right fat soluble base got the right baked good can make a good difference.

You're right though, it's not rocket science - but if you take it seriously you can make a better product than those who don't.

Edibles will put you on your ass if you ingest too much. I ate too much pot chocolate and was paranoid for he whole day.

I like eating em when I have a day off work and don't have anything planned.

And if you eat some , wait like 30 mins and that shit will kick in.

What?

A.) Edibles are safer than smoke, which can lead to a number of lung diseases.

B.) "Incorrect" dosage makes no sense since the LD50 for THC is insanely high, at worst you'll go on a mind-bend.

C.) Kids getting into a stash would be the same as kids getting into the liquor cabinet, except magnitudes less dangerous.

(And before anyone says a bunch of bullshit, I do not support the idea of anyone under 18 being legally able to obtain marijuana or marijuana derivatives.)

Edibles will put you on your ass if you ingest too much. I ate too much pot chocolate and was paranoid for he whole day.

I like eating em when I have a day off work and don't have anything planned.

And if you eat some , wait like 30 mins and that shit will kick in.

30 min? Shit, usually takes like 90 for me. Way too long.

Top Bottom