• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget about physics - the official Dissidia Final Fantasy thread

Cecil, Cloud, Tidus, Firion and Squall's chapters have been cleared. The more I play Dissidia, the more the game continues to impress. The gameplay is so simple, yet each character has been so diverse with their different emphases on close, mid and long range HP- and Bravery-based attacks, strikes, combos, ground or air proficiency and speed of mobility. And it's always rewarding you, be it with character growth, item creation through battle, things like extra PP days because of your play plan or the rewards for meta-goals some battles have.

It's just a fun game.

Almost completed all of the Cosmos story arcs! I just have Bartz, Terra and the Warrior of Light left to finish off before I move on the the Chaos side. This has been such an enjoyable game. I hope there's a sequel of sorts, I'd love to play another Dissidia with a number of characters from IV, VI, VII and IX. It would be awesome if Dissidia was expanded beyond Final Fantasy to include characters from other series like Dragon Quest, Grandia or Valkyrie Profile.

Oh man, I put over 117 hours into this game. It was fun the whole time...well except when it was frustrating (I'm looking at you Inward Chaos).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Have any of you guys played the multiplayer? When I was living in Japan, a bunch of gaffers had the Japanese version, and we played quite a bit. I usually played Squall and Cloud, but I picked up Gabranth, and had a blast with him.

The multiplayer is really great, and being able to play friends' ghosts later is awesome too.

thetrin said:
Have any of you guys played the multiplayer? When I was living in Japan, a bunch of gaffers had the Japanese version, and we played quite a bit. I usually played Squall and Cloud, but I picked up Gabranth, and had a blast with him.

The multiplayer is really great, and being able to play friends' ghosts later is awesome too.
I played the crap out of multiplayer. 3 other friends and I would spend all night fighting each other. So fun! I had a pretty ridiculous list of high-level characters. Off the top of my head, I remember maxing out Firion, Terra, Squall, Tidus, Shantotto, Cloud of Darkness, Jecht, and Gabranth. I think that's all of them.

RadioHeadAche said:
By the way, I've been wanting to ask something to you Dissidia players and fans. If a sequel was announced, what would you like to see in terms of characters, music, content, etc? Here are some examples of what I would like to see:

-Auron whose EX burst attack would involve the same input as FFX

-Seymour Guado who could transform into Seymour Omnis and attack with a variety of magic during his EX burst.

-Yuna from X-2. It would be awesome to switch between dress-spheres during her EX burst.

-Vincent from FFVII. EX burst: transform into Chaos

-Perhaps Rinoa or Zell from VIII. Zell's EX burst would be pretty cool if you could unleash a combo of his finishing moves from the game.

-Sora from Kingdom Hearts II in the game. His EX form would be the Final Form drive mode.

Also, if Shantotto can be in a game like this, then Vivi could as well.

I do hope we get a sequel someday with the ability to transfer characters from the first game.

I would love to see a new character from each of the 10 games. I think a good way to go about it would be to feature characters that 'sit on the fence' of good and evil (villains that becomes heroes and vice versa) and the entire game would be about the Chaos and Cosmos sides trying to convince these 'conflicted' souls to join their side.

Final Fantasy I - No idea... Astos maybe?

Final Fantasy II - Leonhart -
Spent most of the game working under The Emperor and serves as a main antagonist through most of the game, only to be redeemed at the end

Final Fantasy III - Xande -
Once a good mage and peer of Doga and Unei, he was driven insane at the thought of his own mortality and became evil. He serves as the main antagonist through most of FF3 and should have, in my opinion, been the Chaos side choice in Dissidia instead of CoD

Final Fantasy IV - Kain -
For obvious reasons, this character is not only the most popular choice but also constantly switches between good and evil through mind control. His mind is easy to control and corrupt due to his jealousy of his best friend, Cecil

Final Fantasy V - Gilgamesh -
Arguably the most popular FF5 character, Gilgamesh serves as Exdeath's right-hand man for most of the game until the very end where he redeems himself by helping Bartz & co defeat Necrophobe

Final Fantasy VI - Celes -
One of Gestahl's Generals (alongside Kefka), she eventually redeems herself by joining the party and fighting the empire she served under

Final Fantasy VII - Vincent -
An ex-member of Shinra's group The Turks. His story is too long and complicated but he's basically another bad guy turned good

Final Fantasy VIII - Seifer -
Squall's rival who was also brought up in Balamb Garden. While not actually 'evil' he choses to fight under Ultimecia and comes into conflict with the party several times

Final Fantasy IX - Beatrix -
Initially serving under Queen Brahne, she comes into conflict with the party several times before having a change of heart

Final Fantasy X - Seymour -
Actually, I think Seymour should have been the Chaos side villain in Dissidia, since Jecht is not really 'evil'. Jecht and Seymour would switch places, making Jecht the 'conflicted' character.

I don't think I'll ever get to try the multiplayer I don't know anyone else who owns the game. I've got a few PSP owning friends but I doubt any would willingly give this game a shot. I'm not going to complain too loudly though, the single player experience is pretty fun and there's just so much content to it.

Actually, Seymour was originally considered to oppose Tidus, but was replaced with Jecht because he has a stronger connection to Tidus. So, maybe if they make a sequel, they'll use Seymour.

RadioHeadAche said:
Actually, Seymour was originally considered to oppose Tidus, but was replaced with Jecht because he has a stronger connection to Tidus. So, maybe if they make a sequel, they'll use Seymour.

Yeah, I remember reading that. I still will never understand why they chose the bland, generic, Cloud of Darkness over Xande, who was considered the main antagonist through most of the game.

I guess they needed more female rep and sex appeal.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jaundicejuice said:
I don't think I'll ever get to try the multiplayer I don't know anyone else who owns the game. I've got a few PSP owning friends but I doubt any would willingly give this game a shot. I'm not going to complain too loudly though, the single player experience is pretty fun and there's just so much content to it.

That's really a shame. The multiplayer is a blast, and the ghost function makes practicing against them easy as pie.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
RadioHeadAche said:
You should try Inward Chaos when you unlock it.
It took me at least 20 attempts to kill the last enemy in Inward Chaos. Absolutely brutal.

I just did a quick run through Destiny Odyssey with Cecil (96% clear now), as well as upgraded my equipment and skill sets (don't think I've done either for a good long while given that stat boosts and number of new attacks and support abilities I gained) and have been making short work of most enemies in Shade Impulse since, I'm on the third (and final?) chapter now.

It's nice to hear that there's some post-game content, I think I'll be kind of sad when I do finally beat this game.

Beat Chaos on my first try but I was severely over-leveled when I did finally push on to the final encounter. I did second runs through the first three parts of Shade Impulse after I beat them to grab all of the summon stones and treasure I missed the first time through. Ended up being over level 80 by the time I went for the final battle. Chaos didn't hit me much but when he did, holy fuck, I nearly died in two hits with his second form. It was simply ridiculous.

It's kind of crazy to think that at nearly 40 hours that I've barely scratched the surface with this game. Never mind the post-finale content, the new characters and modes, I haven't touched any of the villains that I've unlocked, I pretty much only ran through each Destiny Odyssey once. There's so much left to do.

Finally bought Dissidia and have put in 9hrs so far, quite a lot to get my head around with all the menu's within the game but really enjoying it.

Doing story mode with Cloud got all the way to Sephiroth and suddenly I can no longer time my dodges, boo.

I finally beat the story modes, unlocked all the characters and got Squall to level 100. I'm now on my way to maxing Firion.

Am I alone in thinking that this is the best Square game released in years?

Epcott

Just downloaded the demo today. Was really thinking of getting this, but some aspects seem too confusing. Is it worth it for the single player alone?

Epcott said:
Just downloaded the demo today. Was really thinking of getting this, but some aspects seem too confusing. Is it worth it for the single player alone?

It's confusing at first, but give it a chance. I thought this was one of the worst ideas for a game before playing it. I've put in over 130 hours so far.

PusherT

I see this game being played on PS3 Adhoc party and was wondering how is the mutiplayer? Do you have custom built characters? Say your Squall is lvl 56 is like pocket monster in that way when playing head to head battle?

Pureauthor said:
Just FYI guys - as far as the various campaigns are concerned, Zidane is Dissidia's 'Easy Mode'.

Really? I always thought that was Cloud. He's so easy to use, and effective especially with Omnislash version 5. I used him to complete the main campaign, unlock the secret characters, and various other tasks.

By the ways guys, who is your preferred characters(s)? Cloud is best for quick results, but I think my personal favorite is Gabranth.

RadioHeadAche said:
By the ways guys, who is your preferred characters(s)? Cloud is best for quick results, but I think my personal favorite is Gabranth.

When I feel like playing conservative and straight forward- Warrior of Light

Mostly overall & speedy its Onion Knight followed by Tidus

For the mix ups & unorthodox approach Firion

Squall was my first character, so he'll always have a special place in my roster. I like using Jecht because he can absolutely destroy if you have the timings down. Firion is amazing when played defensively. It's hard to choose, as I've taken a liking to a number of characters.

RocketDarkness said:
Squall was my first character, so he'll always have a special place in my roster. I like using Jecht because he can absolutely destroy if you have the timings down. Firion is amazing when played defensively. It's hard to choose, as I've taken a liking to a number of characters.

That's another reason why I enjoy this game so much as a fighting game down to its core it has a nice array of play style and wide variety among the roster.

Aru

My top characters in the game:
- Cloud (because he is awesome whatever the haters say)
- Gabranth
- Squall
- Warrior of Light

Ex Death is definitely not a character for me. Terra annoys me with all her attack crys... "Malevolent wind..." over and over and over...

While Dissidia is a great game as I expected it to be, I don't think it's S-E's best game in the past decade.
TWEWY deserves this title more.

FrostuTheNinja said:
I finally beat the story modes, unlocked all the characters and got Squall to level 100. I'm now on my way to maxing Firion.

Am I alone in thinking that this is the best Square game released in years?
In terms of pure fun factor it's definitely up at the top

Aru said:
While Dissidia is a great game as I expected it to be, I don't think it's S-E's best game in the past decade.

True, but it's a perfect portable game or something to play in small amounts. Whenever I don't feel like committing a lot of time to a game, I just pop-in Dissidia, beat up a few guys, and I'm done. It's great!

eggandI

Banned
Got this game a couple of weeks ago and I really, really like it. Didn't think I would like it so much. They crammed so much stuff into this it's mind boggling really. I can tell I am going to be putting a lot of time into this.

FFX/X-2 and this are my favorite FF games so far.

eggandI said:
Got this game a couple of weeks ago and I really, really like it. Didn't think I would like it so much. They crammed so much stuff into this it's mind boggling really. I can tell I am going to be putting a lot of time into this.

FFX/X-2 and this are my favorite FF games so far.

I didn't think it would be so good, and yes, the amount of content is astounding. Fitting all the voice-work, plus great graphics, and everything else on a little UMD is nothing short of incredible.

rataven

Going to have to get back into this after finishing XIII. Remind me of the good ole days!

My favorite is Cloud. He gets the job done without a lot of fuss and his EX is awesome. Also, looks like a badass in his alt.

Second is Zidane. He's fun and fast.
Aru said:
Terra annoys me with all her attack crys... "Malevolent wind..." over and over and over...
Completely agree. I wanted to like Terra. I really did. But her portrayal in this game really annoyed me.

rataven said:
Going to have to get back into this after finishing XIII. Remind me of the good ole days!

My favorite is Cloud. He gets the job done and his EX is awesome. Also, looks like a badass in his alt.

Second is Zidane. He's fun and fast.

Omnislash version 5 is so good.

rataven

RadioHeadAche said:
Omnislash version 5 is so good.
It's such a cool, powerful move.

Only thing is that it's easy to spam though. I hope in Dissidia II (believe!) that they give him some more variety with his move set.

rataven said:
It's such a cool, powerful move.

Only thing is that it's easy to spam though. I hope in Dissidia II (believe!) that they give him some more variety with his move set.

That's why I use Cloud when I want to try to get some points to unlock extras, or to wail on a character that has been pissing me off a lot.

Block attack, counter with bravery attack, and transition into omnislash v.5 smack-down.

K what the fuck is this game...
NPC's cheat like crazy, cancelling out of moves as I press block seemingly.
Block doesn't do shit most of the time, see an attack , press block, nothing happens, 0,3sec later you get hit.

Add the camera and ugh, waste of 5 bucks from the bargain bin.

Fighting sephiroth with the guy in the black armor, hell's gate can't be avoided, unblockable, a roll doesn't get out of range...
2/3 of his other attacks can't be blocked unless you randomly block right before he does it, reacting to the first frames is too late.

SMH.
8/10 times when the slowmo timing mini game in the air is going on (quick time events, who doesn't love them right?) the camera is behind the wall or not showing the enemy lol

Glad I got it on umd, had the satisfaction of throwing this terrible game in the bin.

Top Bottom