• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Gearbox dev: "We only did MP-portion of Aliens!". SEGA: "NOPE"

"This isn't because GBX didn't care, mind you."

As another poster already said, no, the whole reason this game sucks (no matter how convoluted the explanation), is exactly because GBX didn't care.

Sounds like they screwed SEGA over hard and basically used their cash to develop their own title and then pinched off a turd for SEGA that fulfilled their agreement only to the point that it allowed GBX to avoid being sued.

Thats how i read the reddit post as well.

Banned
I'd blacklist Gearbox if I were any decent publisher. What a shitty way they went about things.
Yup. You know it's a real fucken shame when developer studios like Vigil or other THQ studios don't get picked up or bought even though they release good games and meanwhile, money stealing and shipping crappy game devs like Gearbox stay in business.

I'm gonna guess SEGA decided to release this because most of the money was already spent plus hey Aliens license, that still got to sell something

Lime

For several years Sega has been pumping money into this project while other sequels to IPs like Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, etc. have been on the backburner. Or even Obsidian's Alien RPG.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This video has been posted right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo&feature=youtu.be

Comparison between ACM demo, and the final product.

My jaw was on the floor the whole time. How do you end up going that far back?

In the past I've been able to enjoy and forgive Pitchford's childlike excitement for his company's games but this is an utter mess and even if it means nothing to anyone in the offices at Gearbox, I can't personally allow myself to take this company in the same light as I used to. Borderlands 2 was alright, but something about it prevented me from playing more than one start-to-finish run. The negative press and apparent handing-off of this treasured franchise is inexcusable.

Like holy god damn that explosion they show towards the end.

Effect

For several years Sega has been pumping money into this project while other sequels to IPs like Valkyria Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, etc. have been on the backburner. Or even Obsidian's Alien RPG.

If Sega had been sidelining other projects in favor of this (because it's Aliens and the pay off should have been huge) that should make them more inclined to sue. We won't know the full details but no one at all should be surprised if we read about Sega taking Gearbox to court or attempting to do so.

Lime

Keep in mind that the demo in question was probably the earlier build that was over memory, as pointed out by the developer leak (if true).

Of course it be likely that they change up the game's assets and graphics, however hackneyed that might be, to compensate for the excessive memory budget.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind that the demo in question was probably the earlier build that was over memory, as pointed out by the developer leak (if true).

Of course it be likely that they change up the game's assets and graphics, however hackneyed that might be, to compensate for the excessive memory budget.

They are comparing the demo to the retail PC version.

_PsiFire_

WiiU delay was a blessing in disguise for WiiU owners...Let us see the turd this REALLY is so we can save our money by cancelling any preorders.

Alienous

This video has been posted right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo&feature=youtu.be

Comparison between ACM demo, and the final product.

Darn.

Gearbox, you have greatly dropped in my estimation of you guys as a developer. SEGA isn't Activision. They can't just forget about an investment, like Activision did with 'X-Men Destiny', as big as this game.

I want you guys to be shining Sonic's shoes for his next game, free of charge. Man, this is messed up.

EXGN

This sounds a lot like what Silicon Knights was doing, taking projects that no one gave a shit about and syphoning the money to their baby project. Silicon Knights did that awful Xmen game that was delayed a bunch to help fund early development of Eternal Darkness 2, GBX did it with ACM to fund BL2.

dreamfall

That video was utterly astounding. The differences were pretty crazy- the ambiance, the lighting, everything gone/changed. What were they running it off for the demo?!

antitrop

That is obviously staged demo quite easy to tell due to the character movement , kind of shocked people would believe that is legit.

incoming Memento photoshop
Pretty sure nobody ever believed it was legit.

Still, the final game was fucking nothing like that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That is obviously staged demo quite easy to tell due to the character movement , kind of shocked people would believe that is legit.

That was just a faked trailer... I cannot find the fake "toyshop" walkthrough they did try to pass as gameplay. That's the one that is really damning.

Btw, for that trailer... if you're ever in detective mood try and dig up the Gearbox response when it was revealed. They did not want to come clean about what it actually was. Totally PR spin alley doucheyness.

Revven

I don't think people believed it would be the exact 100% same. But the direction in general is a huge departure from the demo displayed there.

Hystzen

That was just a faked trailer... I cannot find the fake "toyshop" walkthrough they did try to pass as gameplay. That's the one that is really damning.

Btw, for that trailer... if you're ever in detective mood try and dig up the Gearbox response when it was revealed. They did not want to come clean about what it actually was. Totally PR spin alley doucheyness.

yeah it shitty thing i believe Gearbox have not got the memo that yes demos are faked at E3 but you meant to make the final game close as possible. All companies do it just seems Gearbox are worse at moment for it they not good at covering up afterwards

Top Bottom