• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Playdead CEO co-founds new studio Jumpship, announces first project Somerville

Moskalova

Dino Patti, the former CEO and co-founder of Limbo and Inside developer Playdead, and Chris Olsen, an animator and previsualization artist based in the U.K., have founded Jumpship, an independent game studio based in Guildford, and announced Somerville, the studio’s first game.

Jumpship is currently building a team of experienced developers to work on Somerville. Its job listings include a gameplay designer, generalist programmer, character controller programmer, and character animator.

Gematsu

Teaser Trailer

Adryuu

It shows absolutely nothing and it's a shame. I guess it's really far off still. I've been following Chris Olsen on Twitter for a while and the game has a lot of potential though, so I urge you to look out gifs of his animations to get an idea on the game. My guess is it's kind of a cinematic platformer with shootings and all. Seems like animation and lighting are gonna be supreme.

https://twitter.com/Olseybaby/status/862521015007666177?s=09
https://twitter.com/Olseybaby/status/762683546771128320?s=09
https://twitter.com/Olseybaby/status/750353952957280256?s=09

Lots more on his profile. Also, it seems the game's being made in Unity.

Edit: uh somewhat beaten. So, was Chris Olsen also part of Playdead or just the other guy?

I read this quickly and rearranged a bunch of words in my head.

Former Playdead CEO co-founds new studio

became

Former Play CEO found dead in new studio

Whoops!

Tawpgun

Hey I live there!

Neighborhoods_Somerville.png

Isn't Somerville one of the first US cities that implemented Internet of Things and became a low tier smart city after it was a pretty bleh town? If so and it is a part of the story I can see this fact being used in the trailer.

dr_rus

Weird they would quit Playdead to make a totally Playdead-looking game.

Guess now we have two Playdeads.

Playdead founders had some argument which resulted in Patti leaving I believe. All the better for us though as now we have two Limbo/Inside-style games coming in some years (probably a lot of years...)

jett

D-Member
Not sure what to make of those gifs. You even got some Matrix-style slowmo in his tumblr. It makes it look like an action game, but that could be deceptive.

Playdead founders had some argument which resulted in Patti leaving I believe. All the better for us though as now we have two Limbo/Inside-style games coming in some years (probably a lot of years...)

Indeed!

So this is not that new game they teased with a screenshot after Inside had released? It looks different but it also looks awesome already. Basically we're getting two Playdead games. Fine with me!

Granjinha

This game has been in development for a long time. The devlog that Chris Olsen has been keeping shows an incredible progress and how much care he has been putting into the game. I can't wait to see what him along with Dino Patti can do. It's going to be amazing.

So this is not that new game they teased with a screenshot after Inside had released? It looks different but it also looks awesome already. Basically we're getting two Playdead games. Fine with me!

From the gifs and teasers this one seems much more action packed

Whoa, nice! I've been following Somerville for years, so this is some super exciting news.

Unless things have changed, it's an episodic (maybe it wouldn't be episodic now?) cinematic platformer, with a larger action focus, following the rise of a famous war hero who helped turned tide against an alien invasion. The cool framing device was that the story is being told after the invasion, by a teacher telling her class about the titular hero and his struggles, and one of the narrative hooks was juxtaposing the textbook descriptions with the more violent darker realities of how events really happened

Chris Olsen is an animator, did pre-vis work for movies like Avengers, so the game has a lot of impressive animations and details that work well with a dark low-poly aesthetic

MadMod

Now thats how you make a teaser, very intrigued. Guessing he left because of creative differences?

Edit: Just searched it, he said he left for "new challenges" which is basically another term for creative differences. Fair enough. I'll be following both studios.

Feep

Banned
Edit: Eh, don't want to derail.

Looks *amazing* and I'm super excited for the vibrant color version of Playdead.

Probably wanted to make different games but Playdead barely has resources for one

Glass Rebel

Funny, I finished Inside yesterday before going to bed (liked it, didn't love it, might LTTP it later). Judging by some of that pre-vis stuff, this might be more up my alley.

Top Bottom