• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Valve VR dev: "I think VR is bad news"

Bookoo

ModernFamilyTexting-thumb-450x233-79208.jpeg

At least they are sitting at the dinner table together.

Not really concerned with the anti-social aspect of it. Most of my gaming time I am alone already. Of course people could get obsessed, but I think it's a silly "what if" to worry about.

I get where the author is going with his argument, but since he also says he finds the current state of online gaming limiting in the same way, it kind of seems like he doesn't want to be in game development in general. I mean, unless he's looking for a place that specializes in couch co-op (Nintendo?).

Based on his comments on AR, though, he sounds more like a hardware tech guy than a game dev guy, interested more in general applications than strictly entertainment ones. If so, more power to him. That said, though VR does seem somewhat anti-social to me, I don't think the inevitable conclusion is a society full of people completely isolated in real life and interacting socially only through VR worlds. But talk to me in 20 years, when I'm old enough to shake my old-man cane at all the awful, newfangled things the youngsters are doing, and I may change my tone.

njr

It definitely sounds like he's not a big fan of online multiplayer from the way he's saying it. I just can't see that drastic change of social gaming with VR when Nintendo is the only one that consistently provides local multiplayer games with variety.

I don't like online multiplayer because it's less fun than local multiplayer and regarding VR I've already said I don't want to play in a "bubble"... even if this "bubble" is connected with other "bubbles".
It's a great tech, I'm going to try it. I'll probably end up buying it for a few awesome experiences but it'll never be what I play the most.

James Coote

Neo Member
Phone calls, interior design, 3D movies, watching live performances from a spectator's point of view, travel, house hunting, medical examination. Combined with gaming that makes eight examples. And those are just immediately obvious.

Ubiquitous technologies twenty years from now will not be obvious to us now.

[EDIT]

What value phone calls hold to you personally is utterly irrelevant as I was replying to you completely dismissive claim that VR doesn't have any application outside of VR in the home, which is demonstrably false. Frankly I find it very hard to come up with an application of smart phones inside the home that holds as much gravity as the ability to control drones from that same device.

Things like interior design and house hunting are once a year at most type activities. (Both those make more sense with AR than VR anyway).

You have to put yourself in the shoes of people who don't care about games and who aren't early adopters. Think about those people in your life who fit that description, then try to pitch Oculus Rift to them and see how far you get!

This technology is not like a TV, where every house has one. Nor a mobile, which is in every pocket. It's like an Xbox, which although it does all this extra stuff like TV streaming, and playing DVDs ("it's your complete home entertainment solution"), realistically, is only really bought by gamers.

theJohann

Quite a few people are defending the anti-social aspects of VR by equating their degree with that of current technology (headphones, for example). I suppose this is a fair argument, but only if one takes no issue with the latter. Call me traditional, but I do agree that these can be very anti-social if not used in careful moderation.

Of course, one can create a hypothetical situation where such peripherals are no longer perceived as obstructions, but we haven't quite reached that "saturation point" yet. The majority of us still use face-to-face interaction as our dominant medium of communication, and some technologies already cut off big parts of that, e.g. proxemics. Of course, reducing variables can be a good thing, but there are many situations where misunderstanding and frustration is the common result.

Just as a quick example off the top of my head, sarcastic or jocular comments on fora such as NeoGAF are prone to being misinterpreted as serious, and this is because many of the paralinguistic cues that signal sarcasm or humour are lost in simple text. There is no doubt that different media of communication will lead to different outcomes of communication. The question here is whether we, in our current context, can integrate these different forms painlessly. I believe that this will be incredibly difficult without a major restructuring first taking place, considering that we're already experiencing issues with similar technology that are of a "lesser" degree than the full-on VR we envision.

originalself

Neo Member
While vr addiction is certainly plausible, lets not forget people die occasionally from playing now. Addictive personalities will over do anything. I think vr will be safe for most people.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I didn't know we necessarily had one agreed 'end goal'.

The end-goal of VR doesn't necessarily have to be some all-encompassing alternate reality that people submerge into and never return from.

It might as easily end up being a vehicle for predominantly, temporary 20 minute joyrides and the like.

I don't think a professional working in the VR space has to devote themselves to the former. There's all kinds of things one could work on that might be more agreeable to people with a less engrossing vision of VR.

Linkup

I would argue that the idea that something is wrong with you if you're not regularly interacting with other humans is true, but not just because your alone, it's considered wrong cause your alone and doing nothing but enjoying yourself. If VR developed experiences that allowed people to widen their knowledge on a subject that has it's uses, like house building, then I think it would be a far more powerful educational tool than anything we've had yet. They always are saying first hand experience is best, now that can become a reality for more subjects and students that before.

How many people would like to try house building, car repair, how does learning about monks in China sounds, cooking with famous chef's, how about taking a space shuttle to the.moon or command a submarine to study fish as the depths of the ocean?

Pretty much none of that is going to happen anytime soon, but I suddenly started thinking of when those Wii ideas threads were popular here. Most of the good stuff never happened regardless if the technology did eventually arrive.

Jacobi

Banned
It's true. I'm also constantly thinking about this (computer science/game design student).
If VR reaches a certain standard, it will be better than any drug available.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think a professional working in the VR space has to devote themselves to the former. There's all kinds of things one could work on that might be more agreeable to people with a less engrossing vision of VR.

It should be noted that no ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a parameter.

I think people can do whatever they want and he thinks the end-goal of what he perceives to be a common goal is bad, so he doesn't want to continue working on this. He points out that it's a very interesting field.

drgambit

Banned
I am curious, does anyone know where this person is working now? The diatribe I just read screams of more than just "I hate VR" to me...

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, VR removes you from your world. I guess if you live alone, that's cool.. if you have a family or partner... not so cool.

I get what the guy is saying.. and I respect why he doesn't want to do it anymore. I also get why some can't wait for the tech.

Some people fear the loss of human interaction.

Roshin

Let's just get functional and affordable VR on the table first. If it takes off, it will be the starting point and shoehorning social features into it will be next on everyone's lists.

Fabian's points are valid, but I'm not sure I buy his overall premise that "VR is bad news".

To me, VR, just like most other kinds of physical and virtual technologies, is just a tool. How/when/where that tool is used depends on the person using it. Often, the only limitation is the person's own imagination.

If someone gets so addicted to VR that they're spending damn near all day with their Oculus on (and the few times it's off they're craving the next time it goes back on), then yes there's a good chance that their real-life social life -- if they had one to begin with -- will be adversely affected. There is greater risk they will be socially awkward/inept which can make it more difficult to land or keep a job, date a woman/man, or even just being outside in public (bar, nightclub, restaurant, etc.) with or without friends. In short, connecting with others. We see this already with people who are too obsessed with Facebook, or single-player video games. The problem here isn't VR...it's the person. Sure, VR brings the possibility of interacting with other people in virtual space in unprecedented ways (and that would be awesome), but that's still not a sufficient substitute for real-life interactions - much of which is non-verbal.

On the other hand, a person could greatly enjoy and be passionate about VR but still have enough self-discipline to police himself and not dedicate nearly all day to it. Chances are, that person will be just fine socially in the real world. He'll have no more difficulty with dating, work, etc. than the average joe. Hell, VR might even make him or her a more interesting person to hang out with.

I think VR will carve out a very nice-sized niche, but I feel that the "anti-social" (a term that is often misused, BTW) stigma of the tech may play a factor in preventing it from becoming huge commercially.

Sakura

It's greater social friction than your average gaming experience, which is not necessarily MMOs with your gaming headphones on. In the context of VR as the future of gaming, making every experience like that one, making it so that your roommate can't just call you from across the house or that person at the bus stop isn't afraid to approach you because your headphones are in, is moving towards an experience that must be engaged and disengaged. Furthermore, VR being such a big game changed has the potential to begin discouraging development of alternative experiences, and encourage ones that take full advantage of that isolated, engaged experience. This is something that isn't a problem with a TV and speakers. "Sometimes I want to just get immersed in this game and fuck the real world" isn't a good argument for a direction the industry as a whole should go, because on the flipside "sometimes I just want to chill out and play something while still be able to converse with someone in the room or have a conversation with my buddy in the room."

My problem with the general counter-argument is where VR proponents sell it as the "future of gaming", but are quick to brush off aspects of gaming experiences that do not conform to whatever necessary level of immersion or type of interaction that is best suited to the platform. Sometimes this is done by empty statements saying those other experiences will exist in some form or another, while in the same breath acknowledging how deep VR has to penetrate to become a mainstay or standardized and how that may compromise development of other experiences. Other times it's done by claiming others are narrow minded if they are doubtful of VR, while being selectively ignorant of the impact it would have on games or game genres that can not or won't really benefit from the medium in the case that it does become a dominant platform in an industry with development costs rising and rising. It's not just a threat to local multiplayer, it's can be a detriment to how to people interact with games in general if it really does reach the level some want it to. In which case, that is actually a narrow minded view, that games should conform and bend to this sort of gaming experience as opposed to diversity.

I should be very clear (even though I already reiterated it and it's obvious) that this is all under the assumption that VR becomes a dominant platform and, how some say, the future of gaming, and not in the case where VR is a limited-scope, specialty platform like Kinect. That I have no problem with, because it does not bear as much weight on the development of non-VR experiences, and I feel needs to happen because in that case there is a net gain for gaming.

While I understand your thoughts, your post seems to be about your own fears of what VR could potentially do, rather than actually explaining how the situation described in the OP is so much more anti-social than what we can already have. I don't ever believe VR will be the dominant platform, with all game devs making VR games instead or something. Don't you think a lot of families or other people with roommates etc would feel the same as you? Isolated VR experiences will never supersede current TV gaming because there will always be a significant number of people who don't want to be so "anti-social".

VR isn't worse than already existing examples, it's that this is yet another thing that will take resources and absorb consumer time/money, meaning even less room for more social forms of gaming in the future.

You're right the situtation you're describing isn't much different but there are single player games that are actually more enjoyable when there are people around to interact with. For example do you think playing Goat simulator alone is equally fun as with friends? Do you prefer to watch comedies alone? Guitar Hero, platformers and many more are more fun in a group even if it's only 1 person playing.

Local multiplayer is by far the best form of gaming, VR is another nail in its coffin. But if that's what people demand, so be it. I have a gazillion multiplayer Nintendo games to last me forever anyway.
I don't understand why you think games like Goat Simulator or Mario Kart or whatever would disappear. As long as there are a significant number of people that enjoy those kind of gaming experiences those games will continue to exist. VR will never replace all your games big budget or otherwise, unless it at some point becomes actual VR, and not just screens strapped to your face.

LastNac

We beed to sit back and really find a way to define immersion.

Because I'm not really sure forced perception automatically equates immersion nor are the two mutually exclusive.

Astery

The thing about VR is, it really *is* qualitatively different from other
entertainment experiences.
Exactly, sounds great to have

I can't believe people worrying about anti-social issues and discredit the VR tech based on that. It that's to worry about, the internet and mobile phones should really not be around too since they are also anti social, making face to face communication not really necessary.

Atomski

Exactly, sounds great to have

I can't believe people worrying about anti-social issues and discredit the VR tech based on that. It that's to worry about, the internet and mobile phones should really not be around too since they are also anti social, making face to face communication not really necessary.

People shouldn't have been reading books all these years either.. so antisocial.

Just seems like a dumb thing to complain about especially when you can make social experiences using it with online multiplayer and such.

Hell maybe someday you can join virtual tours using some sort of camera setup in places around the world and ask people questions on the other side.. how is that antisocial?

Fred-87

When you see documentaries about parents neglecting their children when being too much invested in World of Warcraft. I can see how this can be worse.

JNT

Things like interior design and house hunting are once a year at most type activities. (Both those make more sense with AR than VR anyway).

You have to put yourself in the shoes of people who don't care about games and who aren't early adopters. Think about those people in your life who fit that description, then try to pitch Oculus Rift to them and see how far you get!

This technology is not like a TV, where every house has one. Nor a mobile, which is in every pocket. It's like an Xbox, which although it does all this extra stuff like TV streaming, and playing DVDs ("it's your complete home entertainment solution"), realistically, is only really bought by gamers.
Again, your personal preference about the potential household applications does not take away from the fact that they are household applications. You could be right that these applications won't move units, but we don't know where the technology is heading. IBM didn't believe in personal computing for instance, and sure enough, at the time there weren't many compelling arguments to pursue such a venture. Hell, personal computers in its infancy didn't have much application outside of gaming either, yet Apple didn't have much trouble pitching its products to consumers. Since then a lot of things have happened in the PC space, but I really doubt any of those early companies had a clear vision back then that even remotely resembles what we have now. The same could happen to VR.

eshwaaz

The current industry trend of everything having to be a "shared, social experience" is extremely off-putting to me, so this actually makes me more interested in VR.

I agree with him, but it's up to the consumer to decide whether or not they want to play a solo experience, online with others or use the device at all.

Jabba

Banned
I can see what he's saying... but been close to the technology doesn't stop you from falling into the 'authenticity' trap. Which is the belief that only reality can provide the authentic experiences we really crave.

On one hand, authenticity *is* important. But it's certainly not the be all and end all - and it belies the reality that authentic social communication can occur through virtual mediums.

Think of all the relationships forged on line - even if they never meet up in the real world, the feelings are still true.

Having said that, in the standard 2D display internet dichotomy, you can say that the qualitative experience of social interaction is largely diminished through the lack of real time face to face body language communication, and you'd have a point.

But... if they do VR right, then that's the quality of communication that you'll be getting in VR - it'll make virtual social communication and the reality of the feelings that rely on the technology that much better, and in a sense that much more real.

And when you ladden upon that the possibilities that can only occur in VR - sharing high quality virtual communication with family and friends around the world at frequency - something that is uneconomical for most, or engagement in activities that couldn't exist in our world (something as simple as watching movies 'outdoor on a moon of jupiter', to something as complex as flying spaceships in an OASIS inspired metaverse) - then suddenly the range of social engagement that can occur expands dramatically, creating a wider richer range of reality that wouldn't be possible without VR.

Good post.

The, lets tell everybody what they need and should do for human interaction needs to at least slow down a bit. Let's us see the quality of the experience first.

Pikma

Banned
Give this guy a job at Nintendo, it's perspective fits perfectly with what Miyamoto said a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure if I agree with it though, I think VR has lots of other, more relevant, obstacles it needs to overcome before even starting to focus on it's social impact.

Tetranet

This "anti-social" talk of VR is total BS. Security and safety reasons aside, this is a non-issue for VR, or any other entertainment media. It is hardly any different from what everyone is doing in this forum already. The lack of direct visual feedback is the only notable difference, which can be solved with a number of ways. Chalking this up as a "social issue" is a complete and utter joke.

Frankly, I might be an outlier, but I find this whole "constant uninterrupted 24/7 socialisation" aspect of contemporary society quite displeasing.

Indeed. Share, like, recommend, tell everyone your opinion, discuss. There's no end to it.

But the basic type of argument goes back longer than the novel. Plato argued in the republic that poets should be expelled from the ideal state for reasons like that they corrupted people's view of reality and made them act like simple fictional characters.

Plato was referring to poetry (and art) in the context of straying from aletheia (truth) and arete (virtue). Not straying from social interaction. In fact, art in classical antiquity was a social experience in many ways.

synce

If this guy's definition of social is twitter and facebook I don't think he understands the word, or at least I don't agree with his definition of it. Those sites are little more than ego boosters. Kids today don't even know how to talk on the phone, everything must be texted, presumably so they can respond with the perfect response whenever they feel like it. VR won't do any damage that hasn't already been done.

backstep

Neo Member
I thought I recognised the name in the OP from somewhere, the guy has a really excellent blog I used to read (well worth looking up for his series on optimisation, and a detailed explanation graphics pipeline). He used to be active in the demo scene also. I can kinda agree with where he's coming from about VR. VR is fundamentally anti-social in terms of your immediate environment (and the people within it), it's actively making you disengage from it. Compare that to AR which, like the name suggests, augments the physical world around you, actively engaging you with it (i.e. your environment is integral to the experience).

People are comparing VR to reading a book or playing a game with headphones on, and saying they're equally anti-social. I'm not sure I buy into that.

For example, when the weather's good I like to spend lunch sitting in the park reading while I have earphones in listening to music. Occasionally someone might stop in front of the bench, in my periphery, and I'll glance up. They might nod or smile, or say hello, comment on the fine weather we're having, ask about the book, or whatever. At that point I physically have to pop out an earphone and they have to repeat themselves, but that's about all.

At home I might be playing some battlefield with headphones on, intensely focused on it, but if the mrs walks into the room I can't help but notice that (be it from seeing her in my periphery, or a shadow changing, or the light in the room being different - all sorts of visual cues). From there it's just a glance again to get an idea of whether she's talking to me or busy with something else, her mood etc.

In both those situations if you change the book/game for a VR headset you lose that subtle awareness of your surroundings, and for that person to engage with you they must initiate it in a weirdly abrupt way (basically yell at you or physically prompt you to make their presence known).

In that way you can't even say a VR headset is just like headphones for your eyes, you can't 'yell' through the headset to get someone's visual attention.

I'm labouring the point - VR headsets uniquely monopolise your vision like nothing else. Saying that you can add a button (or even a keybind) to allow see-through mode (or to switch to a camera) isn't a perfect solution to that problem either. Hitting a button is an elective process, you need to have a reason to press it, and aside from curiosity or paranoia, you're back to the situation of being aurally or physically prompted.

I guess that's a great argument for using speakers rather than headphones with VR, however it's still a valid point that VR headsets isolate you from your immediate environment (and the social cues within it) more than any other form of visual media. That strongly ties into the original post's concern about advertising - VR is essentially a monopoly on your eyeballs - making it the ultimate advertising platform. Short of turning it off when an advert appears (or hitting the pass-through button) you have to look at the ad because it can fill your entire field of view. You cannot just look away. That is a worrying prospect for consumers and no doubt tantalizing for advertisers.

I'm not saying VR is a horrible idea, I think it can be a powerful way to experience games or visualise other simulations, and I expect it will have a bunch of other useful applications yet to be found also. However I really don't want to see it become the primary means of consuming content, whether it's games or movies or whatever, because of the way it so completely divorces your vision from your environment. Perhaps a form of VR-within-AR might work better, and that idea of external cameras could allow the VR surface to lay 'in' your view of your environment somehow, like some 3D monolith forever 3 feet in front of you. My god, it's full of stars?

i don't get how VR is supposedly more anti-social than current single player experiences.

does it really matter if i play Elder Scrolls on a tv in a dark room, or have a VR set on my head?

also i think VR might actually do the opposite for me personally, i might have more energy during the day to be social at work (hospital with thousands of people), if i know that in the evening when i have some time to play i can REALLY immerse myself into a virtual world for a little while. i think it will be an even better stress reliever than current ways to play. so the next day i will wake up less stressed, with more energy to be positive and social at work :) i say bring on the healing power of VR!

Tetranet

As an avid reader, I'd argue you're not really reading if you can have a conversation at the same time. Or maybe I'm just bad at multitasking (or good at immersion).

And, for what it's worth, I've talked with people while using the DK1, and I've had people using it talk with me.

This whole multitasking deal in these discussions irks me. Just what sort of gaming, reading and watching do people do while having a conversation, or watching TV is beyond me. There is a limit to how focused a mind can be, and I know this planet isn't filled with cerebral prodigies.

You can still be spoken too, though. You might not like it, since it interrupts your reading, but it's still possible. You can still see your surroundings too. In the classic use of VR (that without using AR type of stuff), you'd be completely isolated from the people around you. They can speak to you, but you might not hear them (and from my experience with the Oculus getting immersed so much that you don't pay attention to sounds outside of the game happens rather quickly) and while you're playing, you won't even see whether or not other people are next to you. That's definitely a new kind of isolation.

We've seen the prototypes, they do what they're meant to, not paying attention to secondary functions. Even sound hasn't been given much attention other than "grab a pair of headphones". Who's to say there won't be safety features? I can totally see voice recognition being used on a VR headset.

There are thoughtful people working on these devices, they won't release a mass market product that is potentially dangerous.

People act as if the thing is about to be released.

Finally, people in this industry care about social interaction and healthy human relationships? What a joke. Safety is the context that the discussion should take place in. Today's global society is the most individualistic, anti-social, anti-communal in the history of humanity.

being anti-social is the least of VR problems. the moment a fat nerd dies of heart attack playing a horror game... BAM! you can expect that the brutal and relentless backlash from mainstream media will kill VR to the mass consumer in seconds.

I don't think It'll be as bad as he makes it out to be. VR can't really provide all the sensations of real life that most humans naturally crave. Now if someone made a real life Holodeck, THEN I would be worried.

Meffer

I think the point he's trying to make is that this could make local multiplayer gone over time. Since VR shuts everything off around you apart from the game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It sounds like any video game connected to the internet is an MMO anymore. Hehehe

Time will tell. Indeed. Is he not payed well?

There has been some great points in favour for vr already but I wanted to tackle one criticism about it being anti social with people in the room with you. everyone seems to forget is that morpheus has the ability to stream what the player sees directly to the TV so everyone else can participate and watch on, and unlike oculus demonstrations it isn't split in half so viewing is easier.

So it's easy to imagine games being tailored if need be to be enjoyable to watch such as party games, horror games, boxing ect. The possibilities are huge so I can see it really taking off if launched with some compelling software, look at what wii sports did for the wii!

Every fibre of my being hopes vr become mainstream, it brings so many possibilities for not only gaming but every day life too.

So I see there are a lot of people in this thread continuing the fallacy that when your playing VR in the same room as someone else that you are some how totally cut off from them?

They might have to try a little harder to get your attention, but that is it.

I've got a friend coming over later and we're going to play some VR games trading back and forth. And he has his own rift.

It's nonsense.

KoopaTheCasual

being anti-social is the least of VR problems. the moment a fat nerd dies of heart attack playing a horror game... BAM! you can expect that the brutal and relentless backlash from mainstream media will kill VR to the mass consumer in seconds.
This is actually a very real and immediate concern. Someone is going to die, because of heart attack or seizing. If it gets enough media attention, VR will be permanently stigmatized as that taboo technology that's "too realistic" and dangerous. That would really cripple its market penetration, even if everything else goes well.

system11

For the people not really understanding what he's talking about, you should watch 'Surrogates', the relationship between Bruce and his wife.

system11

This is actually a very real and immediate concern. Someone is going to die, because of heart attack or seizing. If it gets enough media attention, VR will be permanently stigmatized as that taboo technology that's "too realistic" and dangerous. That would really cripple its market penetration, even if everything else goes well.

Already happens without VR, example:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/mar/05/korean-girl-starved-online-game

Will probably make it more common though if the tech is good enough.

Tetranet

That is extremely likely yes. In a way, Facebook introducing the technology can be a good thing. When VR is known first and foremost for non-gaming applications, it will be much more acceptable. That won't make it any less dangerous, but incidents like that won't kill it.

Like I said before, the discussions needs to be about safety.

Already happens without VR, example:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/mar/05/korean-girl-starved-online-game

Will probably make it more common though if the tech is good enough.

Well, VR can immerse you in a different, more "cerebral" way. It fools your mind and body. That's something that can't be done to the same degree with conventional displays. It's not just about forgetting the world outside, but even more so about being thoroughly immersed. Who's to say that sudden jump in blood pressure when you're being blasted off an airlock into the vacuum won't be enough to kill someone.

So this guy would think a VR MMORPG which would be a perfect duplicate of reality would be socially isolating.

What?
Perfect duplicate? Living in a bubble that is a fake world even if is with other people isnt exactly socializing. As someone whos spent a lot of time in mmos nothing beats spending time in real life with friends. Video game worlds are too scripted, too perfect. Nothing unexpected really happens. If life were like that itd be completely boring.

Top Bottom