• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Zaru

I would love it if this season ends up being a close battle between Red Bull and Merc.

It's funny/sad how we've pretty much given up on hoping for the other big spender teams (Ferrari, McLaren) to play a role in the title fight.

How much is Renault spending on F1 anyway?

McLaren online launch on Feb 19th according to nextgen.

Brown hopefully brings back the orange 😎
1483826379-mclaren-f1-2017.png

Mastah

Yep, new livery is coming:

Zak Brown hope fans are "excited" by the look of the 2017 McLaren when it is unveiled before pre-season testing.

Although no launch date has yet been set, the team's new executive director confirmed he had signed off the car's livery with the team's workforce given the first look at the car.

"I've just signed off on the new car livery, so I think the fans are going to be excited about what the car looks like, both technically and visually," Brown said at the Autosport International Show.

"[We will launch] right before the Spain test, no specific date yet. But we've shown it to the shop floor and are very exited about our future."

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-bl...ip-column?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Zaru

Not far until winter testing. Does anyone remember how the teams were doing in 2014-2016? Was it all Mercedes sandbags and THISISTHEYEAR Ferrari pace or some real indication of top team performances?

Aiii

So not worth it
If it took Dennis to get kicked to the curb for McLaren to get rid of that godawful livery they've been running these past two years then Brown has already won everything in my book.

I really hope McLaren return to form soon. With Honda finally being able to develop a proper engine (so glad the token system is gone), I am excited to see where they end up.

I remember that we had a similar excitement about the new McLaren livery last year or the year before and it turned out to be fucking nothing.

KdotIX

I long for the red and white livery with Honda logos slapped over it, but we all know that probably won't be possible again in the near future

Second best bet is an orange and white/black livery or a white red and black livery.

Am I right in thinking that livery colours are usually based around the title sponsor's colours?

To be fair, last seasons McLaren livery grew on me toward mid season

Mastah

Esteban Gutierrez has announced a limited Formula E programme, but I doubt his F1 career is over if the Manor team can be saved. It would be crime if it is not, as the team is still in a very decent position if somone has some investment to put in. As I understand it, there are two nearly completed 2017 monocoques and a well-developed plan to be on the grid in Melbourne, but if that is going to happen, an investor is needed now and the investment needs to be considerable. If it does not happen, the team will have to be closed and the assets sold, which will not help anyone. One can hope that the administrator can find some sort of a deal with one of a number of group that were interested in the team, but were driven away by financial demands of the previous owners, which do not seem to have much base in reality. The word is that Ron dennis may be backing one of the bids, which would be very good for the team.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/01/12/just-keeping-up/

Aiii

So not worth it
Just what we need, another shady group of "investors" coming in with next to no budget just so the whole thing can go bankrupt again in two years. Just let it die if it is not someone with serious money and passion for the sport. Just look at Jordan before Malya got involved, one shady investor after the next for years.

Either do it right or "invest" in someting that is actually gonna earn you money.

Zaru

At this point I have to ask, why would ANYONE invest in lower tier Formula 1 teams? It keeps happening despite how much of a bad idea it is.

Zaru

Because the team can potentially become profitable and earn money to investors.

That sounds like a pretty shaky "can" considering how many teams, top to bottom, operate at a loss. That might be okay for "we're making our money from the advertising effect" teams like the current Top 3, but what about the others?

Aiii

So not worth it

Only two teams ended up making a profit last year and both of them because their parent company invested extra "sponsorship money."

Formula One as a core business is a dumb move. It is a marketing tool, something you lose money on to gain exposure. Or if you are like Williams or McLaren, a way to kick off a business in selling technology to other racing teams or classes.

DBT85

You either make cars to sell to folk or you sell technology derived from the stuff you make for the cars.

Not sure anyone actually makes money just from having an F1 team.

It's why everyone was kind of excited about Mclaren making production cars as it should help the team long term.

jambo

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/01/12/brundle-reveals-monaco-gp-heart-attack/

Martin Brundle has revealed he suffered a minor heart attack while covering the Monaco Grand Prix last year.

The former Formula One driver, who is now a television commentator, was taken ill on his way to the podium ceremony at Monte-Carlo.

“I had a small heart attack running to do the podium in Monaco,” Brundle revealed during an interview at the Autosport International show.

Brundle continued to interview race winner Lewis Hamilton and the other podium finishers Daniel Ricciardo and Sergio Perez.

Fucking mental.

Zaru

Wasn't Bieber present during last year's Monaco podium celebrations?

Got to taste the Chandon before anyone else, too.
At that moment, millions of F1 fans were simultaneously praying to their respective gods that Bieber wasn't going to do the podium interview.
Although, I would have liked to see that just once.

Got to taste the Chandon before anyone else, too.
At that moment, millions of F1 fans were simultaneously praying to their respective gods that Bieber wasn't going to do the podium interview.
Although, I would have liked to see that just once.

I think I'd prefer Bieber over most presenters on the podium. Like you said, at least once.

Zeknurn

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...-2017-cars-will-be-a-monster-to-drive-865067/
Formula 1 racer turned TV commentator Martin Brundle predicts that this year's new breed of car will be ”a monster" to drive – and warned that they could be detrimental to the racing.

Speaking at Autosport International's Racing Car Show, Brundle believes that the extra downforce and grip levels from the new rules set will complement the huge torque and power from the hybrid-turbo power units.

But he warned that going back to a level of high tyre grip and less degradation – combined with huge power – could potentially have a negative effect on overtaking.

”It's certainly going to be different, the cars are going to be brutal," said Brundle. ”In theory, I think we've gone the wrong way in terms of making the racing better. You hear some stories that some corners will be reclassified as straights.

”I remember driving the Red Bull when it had the blown diffuser. That thing didn't move in a lot of corners either; easy full throttle.

”With the amount of power and torque the [current] cars have got – although they don't sound very good – I've driven the Mercedes, Force India and Ferrari now. They are amazing engines to drive; endless amounts of power – even though they sound rubbish.

”Put that into a car with a lot more downforce and 25 percent bigger tyres – the whole thing is 11 percent wider – it is going to be a monster to drive. Whether it makes better racing or not, we'll find out.

”The braking distances will be shorter too. More grip means they might be braking four or five metres later. That means you have less opportunity to overtake.

”The key this is: Can they follow each other? That will be the absolute litmus test of how it works this year."

Pretty much.

Meanwhile
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/01/12/new-tyres-aero-shouldnt-harm-overtaking-hembery/
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery says the changes to F1 cars and tyres in 2017 shouldn't make overtaking much more difficult.

This year's cars will have wider wings and more powerful aerodynamics, prompting fears drivers will be unable to race each other closely due to the increased turbulence.

However Hembery says the combination of more durable tyres and the aerodynamic changes should mitigate that problem.

”The package of aero that's coming for this season is intended to reduce, if you like, that impact," said Hembery at the Autosport International show.

”The tyres themselves, we've made them so there's less thermal overheating of the surface and the idea of that is you'll be able to push harder if you're trying to overtake somebody."

”So between the two the intention is that should be sufficient to give us stronger overtaking."

Zaru

Mercedes aero strategy: "Who cares about turbulent air when you're in front"

But I would sure love the tyres to be less prone to overheating as Pirelli claims. Those ultrasofts were terrible after one fast lap in quali.
How is the 3 tyre compound thing going to work with "less degradation" though? That was one of the better additions in recent years to increase viewer enjoyment thanks to cars on different tyres fighting all the time.

Jezbollah

They really need to cut the aero on these cars if they expect overtaking. And maybe constrict the braking technologies. Are steel brakes realistically an option here?

Zeknurn

Mercedes aero strategy: "Who cares about turbulent air when you're in front"

Yup. Like Symmonds said, if they want turn it into an overtaking formula they need to force the teams to build overtaking cars by reversing the grid. Instead of the current get on pole and forget formula.

I don't think anyone is surprised.

Mastah

How is the 3 tyre compound thing going to work with "less degradation" though? That was one of the better additions in recent years to increase viewer enjoyment thanks to cars on different tyres fighting all the time.

The same as before - if you are on softer compound, you are x tenths faster per lap, but now it's over stint lenght. Of course it would be perfect if there was completely free tyre choice, but these idiots apparently have no problem with Top 10 starting on the same tyres for 99% of time. What a variety in strategies it creates:

Just look at that, lol.

NHale

Unless teams are close at the top this will be one of the more boring years in F1.

Even if there is no overtaking, if RBR/Ferrari/McLaren(lol)/Williams(lolol) is close to Mercedes then there always be uncertainty even if there aren't overtakes. To me the problem with F1 is that the end result is pretty much known before the start of the race. In the Renault/Alonso/Michelin vs Ferrari/Schumacher/Bridgestone overtaking was hard but it was exciting because nobody knew which car would be better at a given track.

Maybe I'm a optimistic but the only way for F1 to be popular is to open development during the season (and a little more testing) + more than 1 tyre supplier (which will force both to make better tyres not just safe tyres that last 500km).

Zaru

Unless teams are close at the top this will be one of the more boring years in F1.

Even if there is no overtaking, if RBR/Ferrari/McLaren(lol)/Williams(lolol) is close to Mercedes then there always be uncertainty even if there aren't overtakes. To me the problem with F1 is that the end result is pretty much known before the start of the race. In the Renault/Alonso/Michelin vs Ferrari/Schumacher/Bridgestone overtaking was hard but it was exciting because nobody knew which car would be better at a given track.

Maybe I'm a optimistic but the only way for F1 to be popular is to open development during the season (and a little more testing) + more than 1 tyre supplier (which will force both to make better tyres not just safe tyres that last 500km).

Cars being better/worse on particular tracks hardly makes RACES more exciting, it makes the championship meta more exciting. Both are important but very different sides of F1.

We can have an "exciting championship battle" down to the last race where every race is a procession with a pole -> win guarantee and few overtakes.
We can also have a season where one driver basically runs away on points but every race is exciting because the competition is close while cars are unreliable and/or suffering from random incidents, with lots of overtakes and strategy gambles spicing things up.

I'd rather have the latter, but the former is generally more likely to happen.

DD

With wider rear wings we'll probably have even more DRS overtakes, but with these new cars, the real overtakes will be drastically reduced.

DBT85

Just want to see them pelting through a series of corners. They'll be going through so much faster that cooking up entry to one will really have an effect on the next one.

Maybe the more underbody df will help a bit.

Top Bottom