• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
One could even argue there is nothing that could stop them of showing the actual gap in real time - giving up on the old three sector format.

It's great that Ferrari isn't a total shit show at the start of the season, but it's absolutely meaningless. Let's not forget that they've been awful at developing the car over the season and they still fumble important pit strategies during the race.

That's why I refuse to jump on any hype train, unless Ferrari can win the races in the later parts of the season on their own. I don't expect Vettel to win the WDC, but I expect Ferrari to win races after the summer break. Anything less than that is meaningless.

e: That said, I'm happy about Giovinazzi. Got beat by Ericsson, but not by much. Hopefully he'll have a good race tomorrow.

Zaru

One could even argue there is nothing that could stop them of showing the actual gap in real time - giving up on the old three sector format.
I'd love this, they added that in the F1 game last year and it really tells you exactly how every corner is taken - especially bad exits and the balance between straights and corners.

kmag

I'd love this, they added that in the F1 game last year and it really tells you exactly how every corner is taken - especially bad exits and the balance between straights and corners.

They're not going to do that because they think it eliminates the DRAMA by giving the viewer too much information before the final corner/the finish line.

n0n44m

They had that on Friday during FP1 & 2 didn't they? At the position of the sector split times; those faded out and then displayed a real-time gap.

John_B

The boxes do not translate all that well into progress relative to the current fastest time. However it does tell you exactly where a driver is improving his own time. You could see with Vettel's last lap that he had made a mistake in the first part of the first sector because he had a bunch of grey boxes.

I think it's an improvement, we just need to get used to them and understand them properly. It's also damn awesome that they show three of them at screen at once.

spuckthew

Oh man I desperately hope we get a Hamilton-Vettel season. They've mostly always been in the best car with the other in a not-so-great car during their respective championship years, so the prospect of them finally having a season-long battle in similarly paced equipment is tantalising.

Fuck Bottas and Kimi lol

Fox Mulder

A season of Hamilton smashing it.

I have no faith in Ferrari to keep up with merc in development during the season, and they are shit at race strategies too.

But redbull, man. How disappointing.

StonedRider

The boxes do not translate all that well into progress relative to the current fastest time. However it does tell you exactly where a driver is improving his own time. You could see with Vettel's last lap that he had made a mistake in the first part of the first sector because he had a bunch of grey boxes.

I think it's an improvement, we just need to get used to them and understand them properly. It's also damn awesome that they show three of them at screen at once.

About this color boxes, do they show relative improvement in this little sector only or improvement in cumulative lap time up to this sector?

For tomorrow, hope Lewis will keep position in turn 1 and win, Bottas should challenge Vettel if he want to strengthen his place in the team (Ham and Merc fan here). Really glad for Haas.
Max - Kimi collision in turn 1

Chuck

Still without luck
Bottas has got the Nico Rosberg patented set-the-pole-lap-time-mere-seconds-before-Lewis-beats-it down perfectly.

Hackbert

the speed in the corners in the onboard video is crazy. it feels much quicker watching. i know they are a bit slower in a straight, but wow , the grip is awesome

Ruruja

A championship fight between Hamilton and vettel would be a dream.

Oh man I desperately hope we get a Hamilton-Vettel season. They've mostly always been in the best car with the other in a not-so-great car during their respective championship years, so the prospect of them finally having a season-long battle in similarly paced equipment is tantalising.

Indeed, it's a shame Rosberg won last year's title in a way as they would have both been on 4 titles too, but nevertheless I hope we get a great battle between the two!

Blastoise

Banned
The coloured sector boxes are kinda ruined quali for me. Sometimes too much information can be detrimental to the experience.

SilentRob

I'd really wish they'd use stationary cameras positioned like this a little more often, just to give audiences that sense of speed. They sometimes do it with the curb cameras, but this is way better. Don't turn it into a regular thing, just show it a few times during races. You can easily forget how fast they are driving with all the tracking and helicopter shots.

Also, writing off Bottas is crazy. It's his first season in the team, coming in late and without much preparation. Expecting him to immediatly beat one of the best F1 drivers ever who has been working with this team for several years now is really unrealistic. His task has to be to get second place in this championship and I'm really looking forward to him fighting for it against the Ferraris.

Zeknurn

Anyone else expecting the race to be an incredible bore fest?

I see it working out in either of two ways:

1. German Jesus does another holy launch, gets ahead of Hamilton and we have a race with him trying to get past.

2. Hamilton cruises to victory with no competition.

SilentRob

I see it working out in either of two ways:

1. German Jesus does another holy launch, gets ahead of Hamilton and we have a race with him trying to get past.

2. Hamilton cruises to victory with no competition.

I don't really get this...is the race an automatic bore fest when the first place is decided? I get just as much out of watching the other 19 cars fighting against each other. In the last season all of those youngsters fighting it out in the middle of the field was fucking awesome! Yes. a competitive first place would be even better, no question, but I don't see how the lack of it turns the race into an automatic borefest.

Because people like to see nice battles for the first place.

And talking about the tough battle for the last point between Force India and Sauber gets a little boring after a few years.

I don't really get this...is the race an automatic bore fest when the first place is decided? I get just as much out of watching the other 19 cars fighting against each other. In the last season all of those youngsters fighting it out in the middle of the field was fucking awesome! Yes. a competitive first place would be even better, no question, but I don't see how the lack of it turns the race into an automatic borefest.

Hopefully we get any sort of battles, I'm fearing the worst when it comes to racing because of the downforce.

Staab

First race is almost always exciting.

Potential for : Ferrari / Merc battle for podium.
RB / Wil / TR / Haas top 10 battles.
McLaren failures, RIC fight back, ALO desperation.

Should be good !

This is fucking amazing to watch.

Watching onboard shots of cars going through turns 10 and 11 was always my favourite part about formula 1.

Watching the hard braking sink the drivers into the monocoque.

Hearing the hard downshifting into high revs and jumping back into the power just as hard.

Watching the cars tip toe around there in recent years has been really depressing.

But guys, imagine how fast 130R in Suzuka will look......

Monaco and Prague is going to be a BLOOD BATH. Those tight corners are going to destroy so many cars.

Eau Rouge in Spa.......

Monza will be finished in about half an hour the speed they're getting through these corners. Parabollica will be awesome. The lesmos corners will be cake.

Maggots/Beckett's at Silverstone......

Brb, need to release.....

DBT85

Why would anyone write Bottas off? He's in the same car as one of the best drivers in F1 history and he was closer today than Rosberg has ever managed against Lewis in Australia. People are silly.
The Lewis hate grew so strong that everyone "supporting" Nico started to believe he was actually that good that Bottas won't be able to compare.

Vettels performance gives me hope that it'll be a tight race for the win tomorrow. I just hope Bottas doesn't pull ahead of him at the start. That'd pretty much guarantee an easy win for Ham, unless Bottas suddenly finds his pace.

Zaru

Lots of things to ponder about tomorrow.
If there's less overtaking, what part of that is down to less tyre strategy diversity and what part is due to the new aero regs?
If Ferrari can't follow/overtake Mercedes, is that due to a lack of pace for Ferrari or the new difficulty of following?

And considering the notable amount of crashes, I feel like a safety car is almost guaranteed. I swear to god, if some crash fucks up a non-Mercedes win again...

Lots of things to ponder about tomorrow.
If there's less overtaking, what part of that is down to less tyre strategy diversity and what part is due to the new aero regs?
If Ferrari can't follow/overtake Mercedes, is that due to a lack of pace for Ferrari or the new difficulty of following?

And considering the notable amount of crashes, I feel like a safety car is almost guaranteed. I swear to god, if some crash fucks up a non-Mercedes win again...

I have a bad feeling about the start tomorrow. At least for Vettel.

Randdalf

Remember that there's a new system for starts as well that we haven't really seen at all yet, could properly mix up the start of the races.

Zaru

I have a bad feeling about the start tomorrow. At least for Vettel.

This is the first time these wider cars go into the first turns together and in anger. Wouldn't be surprised at all if something happens.

I'd especially look out for the combo of Bottas, Kimi and Max. Drivers with varying degrees of contact history together.

Hamilton and Mercedes probably worked hard on fixing the bad starts (which will be harder this year) considering the new steering wheel, so I wouldn't bet on another terrible getaway.

BigAl1992

Just saw the lap times for Qualy. Ferrari and Vettel could've been closer to pole than they realise, so I'm hoping for a good race tomorrow. McLaren didn't break down, so that's a positive at least, but I'm concerned about the race tomorrow for them, as they haven't done a full race simulation yet. And Grosjean, that's an impressive lap for Haas.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis said, that he made some errors in his lap, mostly on second half of the lap

Yea its quite impressive what they are doing.

They just need a better second driver.

They need better brake system first, because they will get a ton of DNFs because of it

And looks like Rosberg does not approve F1 behind paywall on the TV
C7vq8YYXgAE3Eyy.jpg

John_B

About this color boxes, do they show relative improvement in this little sector only or improvement in cumulative lap time up to this sector?
Improvement in the specific part of the sector only. Resetted at every session.

It's useful to see where a driver is improving on their best lap. Unless it's all purples you can't say if the lap will be the new best of the session.

TTG

The first turn in an S curve 1 minute in, I wouldn't even call it on rails. If that was a clip of Gran Turismo, I would just call it unrealistic and move on. That turn in seems impossible and he's on throttle so early, just what?

I haven't seen a single clip of 2016 f1 since the season ended, and I'm more of a casual fan anyway, but the on board footage looks so much faster. Even lock ups under braking look like they're in fast forward. Is there any footage of someone at opposite lock saving it? Seems like you would have to be that much faster anticipating it, seems unlikely honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom