• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentRob

They need better brake system first, because they will get a ton of DNFs because of it

And looks like Rosberg does not approve F1 behind paywall on the TV

He actually has some form of contract with RTL and already shot advertisements for their coverage ;) Nobody would actually WANT to watch their awful coverage D:

John_B

C7vq8YYXgAE3Eyy.jpg
Rosberg never touched the settings on that set. Standard mode and massive overscan.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
The first turn in an S curve 1 minute in, I wouldn't even call it on rails. If that was a clip of Gran Turismo, I would just call it unrealistic and move on. That turn in seems impossible and he's on throttle so early, just what?

He made mistake in that two corners - missed the apex

Zaru

Rosberg must be feeling a little bit of longing at least, when you see all these drivers talking about how much more fun the cars are to drive.

Zaru

Just saw this. Ferrari quali in Melbourne:

2014 - 5th
2015 - 4th
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 2nd
2018 - NEXT YEAR IS THE YEAR BOYS

n0n44m

Zaru

Renault is lucky that Honda looks worse. For everyone's sake I hope their upgrades from Europe onwards will make them competitive.

That doesn't mask the fact that Red Bull fucked up though.

I really don't know why but I put £15 on red bull's Verstappen and/or Ricciardo to win the championship, yolo.

Normally I go with mercedes.

John_B

neither have I. what do I have change?
Most TV sets have multiple picture profiles and the default/standard profile usually has the color, brightness and sharpness turned up high. Usually there is a profile called "film" that has a more natural look, though can seem muted in comparison when you are used to a standard profile.

In the end if you like the picture of your set then don't bother to change it. It was more a joke than anything.

DD

They learn from our Australian politicians that 'forget' to claim their 1.4m mansions as an asset.

When in Rome....

Oh boy, I can't wait to see what they might do in Brazil then. I bet that for the next year they'll have the budget of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull combined, and will perform like Sauber, lol.

DD

Watching Stroll's on-board laps is pretty scary, the opposite of smooth driving to say the least.

My thoughts exactly. You can see that he's overdriveing and fighting with the car all the time. Later they showed Massa driving and I thought that he was on a out lap, so chill, but he was pushing for his best lap. It was probably a mistake to bring a driver so young to cars that are so brutal and unforgiving.

EDIT: Hamilton's record lap. So f*ckin smooth!

John_B

Yeah, turn 11 and 12 looks almost unreal in that pole lap video. Stroll indeed looked like he was riding a bull. I'm not sure the cars need to increase more in speed other than natural progression of the upgrades that the teams will bring.

Hamilton and Vettel has great banter. Vettel seems much more himself in mood and on track as we saw him back in 2015. This season could be an epic fight between them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaF1SurCanal/status/845608349660057600

Zaru

Where's this Stroll onboard you're all talking about?

Yeah, turn 11 and 12 looks almost unreal in that pole lap video. Stroll indeed looked like he was riding a bull. I'm not sure the cars need to increase more in speed other than natural progression of the upgrades that the teams will bring.

Hamilton and Vettel has great banter. Vettel seems much more himself in mood and on track as we saw him back in 2015. This season could be an epic fight between them.

Since their seagull banter I'm always hoping to see them interact more in interviews.
Now we might actually get to see them interact on track, too.

Am amused to see that after they begged and pleaded for these changes because they believed Newey would have them leading the pack, Red Bull are now behind Ferrari and still way behind Mercedes.

Pretty depressing to see Verstappen basically state that the order will be set by the end of the first corner. If he of all people feel overtaking is impossible it doesn't exactly bode well for exciting racing.

Seems like we actually will get a head to head fight between Hamilton and Vettel. Exciting stuff. I remember when Vettel jumped to Ferrari after that dodgy 2014 season, people around here said he would never win another race, let alone compete for another title.

Zaru

Am amused to see that after they begged and pleaded for these changes because they believed Newey would have them leading the pack

I know it sounds like I'm a bit quick to cast judgement before the first race has even started and Renault's engine deficit remains unclear, but I kinda suspect Newey might be a bit out of his depth this year.
The guy still draws the underlying concepts on pen and paper. When you look at the current complexity of the average aero elements compared to a lot of years where his cars were winning championships, it just feels so much more complex. Stuff that you only understand in wind tunnels and simulations.
This is pure conjecture, but I think Red Bull might have placed their hope on him as a magical bullet to create an amazing car in the current aero regulations, because fuck, he's Adrian Newey! Who knows better than him right? And then suddenly you end up with a comparatively simple car that isn't really good at anything and weirdly unstable.

DD

11 & 12, wooo...

EDIT: https://streamable.com/dm7jk

Interestingly that change of direction / level of grip hasn't impressed me as much as some of the Le Mans cars have when I've seen them in person. I wonder what the difference is in downforce between them.

I imagine the reason the LMP1 cars impressed me a bit more is that they actually look like cars.

Interestingly that change of direction / level of grip hasn't impressed me as much as some of the Le Mans cars have when I've seen them in person. I wonder what the difference is in downforce between them.

The 2014 Toyota TS040 was quoted as developing 1450 kg of downforce at 280 km/h in Le Mans aero configuration. Last year's TS050 supposedly had a lift/drag ratio around 6.0-7.0.

I have no idea how any of this compares to contemporary F1, but LMP1 aero is ridiculously efficient these days.

Seems like we actually will get a head to head fight between Hamilton and Vettel. Exciting stuff. I remember when Vettel jumped to Ferrari after that dodgy 2014 season, people around here said he would never win another race, let alone compete for another title.

People shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the best driver of this generation.

I don't want to get hyped for some sweet glorious Ferrari victories because every time I do so I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, but goddamn I feel it's close. It could happen. It's on.

Jezbollah

The 2014 Toyota TS040 was quoted as developing 1450 kg of downforce at 280 km/h in Le Mans aero configuration. Last year's TS050 supposedly had a lift/drag ratio around 6.0-7.0.

I have no idea how any of this compares to contemporary F1, but LMP1 aero is ridiculously efficient these days.

This is a comparison between WEC and F1 when it comes to qualifying on the same circuits they race on..

Silverstone - 1m53.204 (WEC), 1m29.287 (F1)
Spa - 1m55.793 (WEC), 1m46.744 (F1)
Mexico - 1m25.069 (WEC), 1m18.704 (F1)
USA - 1m45.750 (WEC), 1m34.999 (F1)
Shanghai - 1m44.462 (WEC), 1m35.402 (F1)
Bahrain - 1m39.297 (WEC), 1m29.493 (F1)

Unfortunately this is as good a comparison as you're going to get :)

Pretty much. A modern F1 no doubt produces more total downforce, whereas a P1 produces more downforce relative to drag (more aero efficient). Beyond that, I think actual numbers are going to be hard to come by.

Top Gear Magazine had a comparison between the 919 and W06, including some telemetry data from a lap of Spa in 2015:

(Speed and gear for the Porsche in black, Mercedes in green)

The Mercedes carries more speed through the corners, (as expected with more downforce acting on lower mass), and has a higher top end, while the Porsche has an edge in acceleration out of low-speed corners with its AWD and 8-MJ hybrid boost.

The 2015 gap in qualifying was about 7.5 s, and 5.5 s in the race. Of course, F1 now is a good deal faster whereas P1 will be similar, if not slightly slower, on pace. Heck, those lap deltas might double this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom