• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

Or each other.
I think that, along with a potentially iron clad RBR contract, the main thing standing in the way of Max getting a drive at either Mercedes or Ferrari is that neither Vettel or Hamilton would be pleased about having to fight a very hungry Verstappen on equal ground. As much as I suspect that Toto wants to have Verstappen on his team at some point, I'm fairly sure that he'd rather keeps Lewis happy with a good, but not amazing, number two. Ferrari taking on Verstappen seems even less likely as, outside of Vettel being their golden child, they've always favored seasoned drivers

Elros

Ferrari taking on Verstappen seems even less likely as, outside of Vettel being their golden child, they've always favored seasoned drivers

Well, Vettel coming to Ferrari with 4 WDC certainly put him in the "seasoned drivers" category (despite what happened yesterday, but that's not the topic here)

Danielsan

Well, Vettel coming to Ferrari with 4 WDC certainly put him in the "seasoned drivers" category (despite what happened yesterday, but that's not the topic here)
What I meant was that Vettel doesn't want very competitive team mates on his team (Verstappen / Alonso), and I'm sure Ferrari will want to appease their golden child.
The fact that VER is still a rookie doubly rules out a move to Ferrari.

Fox Mulder

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130396/hamilton-dismisses-vettel-request-for-talks

I have to say, even as someone who actively dislikes Hamilton, he's handling all of this very well. IMO the writing is on the wall for Lewis to bring his A++ game to the remaining 12 races.

Well he's right.

Even with the vettel bullshit, he only lost due to a flukey thing with the headrest after the red flag. Mercedes will be fine and seem to have figured out their car this year. Ferrari will have to keep up development and deal with PU component penalties the back half of the season.

Elros

What I meant was that Vettel doesn't want very competitive team mates on his team (Verstappen / Alonso), and I'm sure Ferrari will want to appease their golden child.

Sorry, I misread your message.

To add to your point, I don't think Verstappen would want to go to Ferrari if Vettel stays, knowing their history of having a number 1 pilot. I'm not saying that he would not outperform Vettel, because we can't know that until they sit in the same car. Imagine the meltdown in the team if this happens !

Good to see Danny Ric backing Lewis on his role in the incident.

I love how Seb said he didn't think Lewis did it on purpose. How is that brake-checking then?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Good to see Danny Ric backing Lewis on his role in the incident.

I love how Seb said he didn't think Lewis did it on purpose. How is that brake-checking then?

"If I back-track real slow, maybe nobody will notice?"

Lego Boss

VET and BLESSED at Merc confirmed

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130396/hamilton-dismisses-vettel-request-for-talks

I have to say, even as someone who actively dislikes Hamilton, he's handling all of this very well. IMO the writing is on the wall for Lewis to bring his A++ game to the remaining 12 races.

"I've not come out of the race pointing the finger or said anything." - says the guy who said Seb disgraced himself right after the race and called him out for a brawl. This will not stand, I invoke Mortal Kombat between them.

dl77

"I've not come out of the race pointing the finger or said anything." - says the guy who said Seb disgraced himself right after the race and called him out for a brawl. This will not stand, I invoke Mortal Kombat between them.

"Called him out for a brawl"?! Do you mean the bit where he said they should meet face to face? I'm pretty sure that meant to discuss it with each other rather than through the press as opposed to "I'm gonna punch him in the face"!

valkyre

"Called him out for a brawl"?! Do you mean the bit where he said they should meet face to face? I'm pretty sure that meant to discuss it with each other rather than through the press as opposed to "I'm gonna punch him in the face"!

It was Lauda who said that -he believes- Lewis is going to get physical with Vettel. :p

He literally talked about punches being thrown by Hamilton lmao!

The why did he challenge Seb's masculinity while doing so? So they could talk about who's manlier? It means war.

M52B28

Banned
Although I'm frustrated with how the last race went, I am kind of excited by the tension that was caused by it.

Vettel and Hamilton will be out for blood the next coming races, and if they take each other out, everyone else on the grid will benefit from it.

I'm so glad to see rivalry like this again.

It's not only Vettel and Hamilton. Force India and Toro Rosso are dealing with inner team fighting.

Definitely one of the better seasons.

Hamilton already said that he doesn't want to talk with Vettel about it. e: I don't blame him for that, but it leaves little room for interpretation what "face to face" could mean.

Although I'm frustrated with how the last race went, I am kind of excited by the tension that was caused by it.

Vettel and Hamilton will be out for blood the next coming races, and if they take each other out, everyone else on the grid will benefit from it.

I'm so glad to see rivalry like this again.

It's not only Vettel and Hamilton. Force India and Toro Rosso are dealing with inner team fighting.

Definitely one of the better seasons.

What would make a double DNF of Vettel/Hamilton really interesting is that it would bring Bottas back into the mix. He's only 20 or so points behind Hamilton. It's not all that much.

mclem

What would make a double DNF of Vettel/Hamilton really interesting is that it would bring Bottas back into the mix. He's only 20 or so points behind Hamilton. It's not all that much.

A little more than that - IIRC, one win (and a DNF from Hamilton) still isn't quite enough to put him ahead - but yeah, one major DNF from the top two and things get tasty.

Hamilton already said that he doesn't want to talk with Vettel about it. e: I don't blame him for that, but it leaves little room for interpretation what "face to face" could mean.

article-2530681-0010en5s6u.jpg

_96679428_vettel_angry_getty.jpg

One was said right after the race and the other the day after? He's allowed to change his mind.

And the context is different. One was 'if he has a disagreement with how I raced, then X' the other is, 'I don't want to talk to Vettel about what he did'

One was said right after the race and the other the day after? He's allowed to change his mind.

And the context is different. One was 'if he has a disagreement with how I raced, then X' the other is, 'I don't want to talk to Vettel about what he did'

Yeah then what about the masculinity bit? That's very clearly go time. Got to hand it to Hamilton though, it takes some balls of steel to challenge a german to a shaolin duel, but let's all face it here that fight would somehow be even more lopsided than Mayweather murdering McGregor.

Hasney

He said he should have talked face to face instead of ramming him from the side, not after. At least on C4.

avaya

Michael was a ruthless bastard and totally calculating, there is no comparison.

Vettel is like a petulant child. Lewis has learnt a lot and won't get dragged into the shit. He had to deal with Alonso wetting his pants at McLaren in 2007. Seen it all before.

Yeah. Hamilton and Vettel have zero retirements so far. Bottas had already engine failure in Spain. Without that he would be even closer.

Zaru

Yeah. Hamilton and Vettel have zero retirements so far. Bottas had already engine failure in Spain. Without that he would be even closer.
Now that I think about it, without that engine failure he'd be closer to Hamilton than Hamilton is to Vettel.
Ironically, Ricciardo without technical issues would be breathing down Bottas' neck. Same probably for Verstappen.

RSP

Video interview with Max (Dutch)

https://youtu.be/hhNwMW9HUTI

- Left the track after 30 mins
- Didn't celebrate RIC's victory
- Didn't answer the press to avoid saying something stupid
- Engine issue still being investigated
- New engine for the next race
- Did not think he was "pushing too hard"
- Does not believe in a conspiracy against him

hitgirl

Got a chance to watch the race today. After qualifying I thought it was going to be an excellent race, I expected a lot of crashes in the castle turn, was wrong about that but WOW did not expect that sort of race. I'm really pissed off at Vettels minor penalty during the race, he should have been DQ'ed.

I know there's probably Vettel and Hamilton fans screaming about the incident and being unreasonable. I'm neither, I root for everyone really, one minute I'll be rooting for someone then the next I'll be cheering about him getting passed. But damn Vettel got hot headed and pulled up next to Hamilton and literally turned into him out of rage. I don't see how that's a 10 second penalty. That really pisses me off.. I've only been watching F1 for five years at this point, so maybe I just don't have the history to understand how this happens.

Vettel is like a petulant child. Lewis has learnt a lot and won't get dragged into the shit. He had to deal with Alonso wetting his pants at McLaren in 2007. Seen it all before.

I love how Seb is a "petulant child" when he wasn't the one who implied there was a huge conspiracy when he was losing to a lesser talented teammate.

They are all petulant (except Danny who looks like a legit great dude), it comes with the trade it seems.

apotema

So, how many points did Ocon cost yesterday to Force India? Maybe 35 if they clinched a 1-2?

35, the current tally of Ocon for THE WHOLE YEAR.

Clearly, he made a dick move on Perez because he still resented what happened in Canada. And I still think he wouldn't be able to overtake Ricciardo that day.

Clearly Ocon is a good driver, but he thinks he can ascend as fast as Verstappen, but he is closer to being Verstappen's Nico Rosberg than that.

Shaneus

Finally finished watching the race this morning, what a great finish. Hamilton would've had Vettel, Bottas barely getting Stroll, Stroll acting like he'd won and Danny with the laughing and "holy shit" over the team radio at the end.

Am I wrong in thinking that Hamilton has Vettel's measure, at least psychologically? Especially when Vettel kept saying "I don't know what that penalty was for", as if it was like an alternate personality that ran into Lewis.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Saw it yesterday live at the bar, then just wrapped up watching it again. By far the most entertaining race I have yet seen (this is my first year watching F1). So much shit happened.

-Frankly I am shocked Vettel wasn't DQ'd. Really no room for that type of stunt whether or not Ham brake checked him or not. Let the stewards make the determination if you think there was wrong doing. His comments after the race were pretty pathetic.

-Kinda dumb they waited so long for the red flag. I know the T-Wing is gone next year but I wonder if there will be anymore aero restrictions after a race like this. Granted, all of that debris was a result of collisions.

-Circumstances aside, I continue to be impressed with Ocon. I wanted him to battle a little more at the end of the race but he was way outclassed.

-Biggest LOL moment for me was when both Vettel and Ham easily overmatched Alonso's McLaren. Watching him helpless as Hamilton pushed passed him was amazing.

-Absolute biggest losers over the last few weeks, IMO, are Red Bull. Max was completely killing it this whole weekend and was doing well during the race only to DNF. So that is a brake failure in Bahrain, engine problem in Canada, and now yesterday's issue, not even counting the crash in Spain. I'd argue he would have very easily taken 1st yesterday considering all what happened and could have definitely hit 2nd in Canada, even with that 1/2 finish over those two races, that's an additional 43 points to RBs bottom line bringing them to 180 and possibly higher with even a 1 thru 6 finish for him in Bahrain. RB would be a serious threat in the constructors considering the recent 4/7 finishes for both Ferrari and MB, then the results of this race, and the Kimi DNF yesterday. They need to figure out what is going on with that car, and fast.

I wouldn't have a beer with any of them except Danny and maybe Kimi just for the heck of it.

Def Bottas too.

Mario007

Finally finished watching the race this morning, what a great finish. Hamilton would've had Vettel, Bottas barely getting Stroll, Stroll acting like he'd won and Danny with the laughing and "holy shit" over the team radio at the end.

Am I wrong in thinking that Hamilton has Vettel's measure, at least psychologically? Especially when Vettel kept saying "I don't know what that penalty was for", as if it was like an alternate personality that ran into Lewis.
This is the same Hamilton that couldn't catch Vetel on track so wanted his teammate to slow him down?

John_B

Hamilton has definitely upped his strategic game. He was drumming up the Vettel incident in all the right ways to maximize the pressure. Also his request to have Bottas back up Vettel just struck me as a thing that Alonso would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom