• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

Just curious, if anyone knows the rationale behind this.

F1 races in circuits across the world, but they seem to go back and forth across the world twice.

Why start in Asia Pacific then double back towards the end of the year?

Why don't they just finish Asia, then move to the Middle East, then Europe, and end in the Americas, or something to that effect?

There is this thing called weather. And within weather there are things called seasons. In parts of the world, the weather is good. And at the same time parts of the world where the weather is bad.

In Australia, it's the late summer. They used to race in Australia late in the year when it was early summer. They race in Europe when the weather is good too. But it still rains sometimes.

This is what happens when you try to schedule a motorsports championship too early in the year

snow%206.jpg

(This was at the first round of the British Superbikes championship a few years ago at Brands Hatch).

Par Score

Nothing would make me happier than Lewis slamming it this year (quickest in every practice session, pole, fastest lap, and 1st place every race) then retiring.

It won't happen, too many variables, but it would be absolutely glorious.

Zaru

And it would qualify #blessed as the greatest of all time.
Easy cruising in a car that might as well be in another formula does not make you the greatest of all time, it only makes you better than your teammate and damn lucky.

Not trying to disregard that Lewis is probably one of the strongest drivers in F1 history and currently in his prime based on teammate metrics, but so much of a driver's perception depends on what car they drive.

Had he not taken that Mercedes deal, his win/pole statistics would be virtually unchanged from 2012, much like Alonso.
And it's not as simple as "fastest drivers tend to get into the fastest cars". If one-time champions like Mansell or Hill had kept staying in dominant cars like Hamilton did, they'd be hailed as GOATs despite being the exact same drivers. Only F1 nerds care about such things as statistical analysis of teammate comparisons.

Easy cruising in a car that might as well be in another formula does not make you the greatest of all time, it only makes you better than your teammate and damn lucky.

Not trying to disregard that Lewis is probably one of the strongest drivers in F1 history and currently in his prime based on teammate metrics, but so much of a driver's perception depends on what car they drive.

Had he not taken that Mercedes deal, his win/pole statistics would be virtually unchanged from 2012, much like Alonso.
And it's not as simple as "fastest drivers tend to get into the fastest cars". If one-time champions like Mansell or Hill had kept staying in dominant cars like Hamilton did, they'd be hailed as GOATs despite being the exact same drivers. Only F1 nerds care about such things as statistical analysis of teammate comparisons.
Nobody would be hailing Hill the GOAT of anything, he was exposed by Schumacher over and over and over again.

And Hamilton paid his dues at McLaren already,I recall him performing very well against superior Red Bulls and highly competitive Ferraris in the V8 era.

Zaru

They improved last year already but with the more relaxed social media rules this year, the online fan involvement is gonna be a lot better.

tomtom94

It's remarkable how people are already shitting on Hamilton based on a grand total of two practice sessions.

Ark

When did Hasegawa take over the Honda program? I'm just wondering whether this current engine is his child, or if he just inherited it.

Staab

S'all good guys.
Balance and setup issues for Ferrari, only 0.5s adrift and Mercedes perfect setup according to Seb and Lewis !

Hope is still alive !

Fisico

Damn we're in for yet another year of Mercedes complete domination aren't we :( ?

Here are my random predictions

I'm betting on some crash involving Raikkonen and Verstappen Jr ->

Tubie

S'all good guys.
Balance and setup issues for Ferrari, only 0.5s adrift and Mercedes perfect setup according to Seb and Lewis !

Hope is still alive !

Don't do this to yourself.

Ham is gonna qualify at least .8s faster than any Ferrari.

Zaru

S'all good guys.

Hope is still alive !

This is all 4d chess
Ferrari is keeping their true performance under wraps so Mercedes thinks they're far enough ahead to not turn up everything in Q3, only to get surprised by a full-powered Ferrari, except Mercedes knows so they're driving with several kg of extra ballast to mask their ACTUAL performance minus the usual sandbags, which Ferrari also knows and they've put on additional sandbags of their own, and in all this Red Bull is masking their true pace as well, being a second ahead of everyone else but trying to make them believe that they're only missing half a second and feeling a false sense of security, but Red Bull and Ferrari know about this and Red Bull knows that they know and-

tjhCMvP.png

Mohonky

And Hamilton paid his dues at McLaren already,I recall him performing very well against superior Red Bulls and highly competitive Ferraris in the V8 era.

He arguably would have won 2012 if it werent for McLarens fuck ups and the car exploding from the front on a few occasions.

Its useless trying to define the best drivers though, F1 is as much about drivers as it is the car beneath them. You never see situations where even amazing drivers can take a shitbox and put it on the podium consistently enough to challenge for a title, in a sport where even .5 of a second is an eternity and 1 second is dont even bother turning up, asking a driver to make up those sort of times in a field where the drivers are all at such a high level is a big ask.

This is all 4d chess
Ferrari is keeping their true performance under wraps so Mercedes thinks they're far enough ahead to not turn up everything in Q3, only to get surprised by a full-powered Ferrari, except Mercedes knows so they're driving with several kg of extra ballast to mask their ACTUAL performance minus the usual sandbags, which Ferrari also knows and they've put on additional sandbags of their own, and in all this Red Bull is masking their true pace as well, being a second ahead of everyone else but trying to make them believe that they're only missing half a second and feeling a false sense of security, but Red Bull and Ferrari know about this and Red Bull knows that they know and-

tjhCMvP.png
This is like some end of Death Note type shit.
He arguably would have won 2012 if it werent for McLarens fuck ups and the car exploding from the front on a few occasions.

Its useless trying to define the best drivers though, F1 is as much about drivers as it is the car beneath them. You never see situations where even amazing drivers can take a shitbox and put it on the podium consistently enough to challenge for a title, in a sport where even .5 of a second is an eternity and 1 second is dont even bother turning up, asking a driver to make up those sort of times in a field where the drivers are all at such a high level is a big ask.
Hamilton won twice in the 09 McLaren, his status is fine in my opinion.

Zaru

I wonder at which point in 2012 he decided to go to Mercedes. Around summer break McLaren won 3 races in a row so they weren't looking TERRIBLE, but he must have realized that the team was going nowhere and the rumors were clear by early september. Those three retirements from pole which followed must have vindicated the decision pretty fast though.

I wonder at which point in 2012 he decided to go to Mercedes. Around summer break McLaren won 3 races in a row so they weren't looking TERRIBLE, but he must have realized that the team was going nowhere and the rumors were clear by early september. Those three retirements from pole which followed must have vindicated the decision pretty fast though.
Probably that race where Kermit the Frog was hanging off the side of his car slowing him down.

Ruruja

I'm a huge Hamilton fan, but the thing I like most about him is his overtaking ability (same reason I loved Mansell), so although I want to see him win, lights to flag every race would be lame.

Hopefully the gaps aren't as large as expected.

Zeknurn

Mercedes showed him that Bernie had decided to turn F1 into an engine formula and that they would win the next 7+ years.

Thank god Brawn is in charge now and we can hopefully soon forget the worst era of F1.

Ark

Singapore 2012. He retired from the lead at around lap 23-ish due to an engine failure, and while walking away from the car took a moment to turn around and look at his McLaren one last time, and I'm pretty convinced that's the moment he decided he was 110% moving to Mercedes.

I don't actually remember when he announced his move, so I could actually be wrong 😂

Zaru

Singapore 2012. He retired from the lead at around lap 23-ish due to an engine failure, and while walking away from the car took a moment to turn around and look at his McLaren one last time, and I'm pretty convinced that's the moment he decided he was 110% moving to Mercedes.

I don't actually remember when he announced his move, so I could actually be wrong 😂
I can find articles about his Mercedes rumors from several weeks before that race, but the official announcement was literally the week after.

InertiaXr

I have watched the 2012 season relatively recently and I would agree. That's the point where he stopped being frustrated at his car failing him yet again, that was it for him at McLaren. He as you say looked back at his car for a few seconds then walked away with his hand behind his back, at peace with his decision he knew was now made.

Septimius

Is there a place one could attain access to a means of observing the weekends spectacles, as I would not look up to the sky, perhaps I should look from it?

Juicy Bob

Is it worth us setting up a GAF1 Discord thing?

I haven't used it before but I thought it might be good for communications.

Addnan

Acestream is so hit and miss for me. Going great and then just start stuttering and connection issues. rather just watch a shitty quality stream that doesn't drop.

Ark

Is it worth us setting up a GAF1 Discord thing?

I haven't used it before but I thought it might be good for communications.

It's a good idea, but how often would it actually get used? We tend to post and discuss everything in this thread.

I say go for it anyway, I love Discord.

KmGAluz.gif

I still don't know if Acestream is a great way to watch F1 or if I'm part of a russian botnet while using it

Its quite amazing the money McLaren wasted on this dumbass series.

It was also quite revealing what assholes McLaren were too.

I remember an episode where they were running through a list of McLaren world champions and they mentioned Button, who won his championship for another team, but not Lewis, who won them the last championship they'll have for a very long time and would've won more if they didn't fuck up many a time.

It was a pretty good indicator of how McLaren felt towards Lewis imo. I'm overall pretty content to see them turn to shit after he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom