• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune Magazine cover story: How Wii won

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
MattXG said:
Jump the gun much?

Image will be fun to post when Wii sales implode next year though...

I love when juinior members talk what does that say about the other two systems which are already imploding because of Wii, some how they are magically gonna get a nice boost in sales eat crow it suits you.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
MattXG said:
Jump the gun much?

*right click* *Save Image As*

*ctrl + D* *bookmarks quote*

either way I can win on this one ;)

Anyway, it's been 6 months now and it is the only console with any sort of semblance of sustained success if not outright domination in all three major markets. Is it really still too early to call? I remember a whole bunch of "let's wait for February/march/april numbers" excuses 3-4 months ago.

jey_16

Banned
Key Points:

- Wii is really popular and is sold out a lot (even at NOA Company store)

- Wii Remote is cheap to make
Accelerometer: $2.50
Basic Memory Chip: $0.25
Audio Amplifier: $0.50
Data Converter: $0.50
Rumble Pack: $2.50
Bluetooth Chip: $2.00
Audio Translator: $2.00
Plastic Casing: Unknown
Wrist Strap: Unkown

- $50 profit per Wii

- Nintendo makes a lot of money (revenue = $2.5M per employee, profit = $442,000 per employee, both figures are much higher then MS and Google)

- $5 Million to develop Wii game vs $20 Million for PS3 game

-Ubisoft says Nintendo is best console maker to work with

- EA says Nintendo is a pioneer

- Wii's success has done little to convince Microsoft execs that they'rs on the wrong course (Peter Moore: "I love the experience, the price point and Nintendo content of the Wii, but Microsoft provides experiences that Nintendo cannot provide")

- CEO of SCE America says give credit to Nintendo but points out that Sony has come out with innovative controllers too, technology doesnt go backwards and the Wii is a re purposed gamecube

- Sony views the world through the eyes of an engineer while Nintendo takes its cues from the outside world (eg. Pikmin from Miyamoto's garden)

FUTURE
- Nintendo could stick with the current tech for a few years and then introduce a Wii 2.0 with PS3 tech but cheap

- cut $50 of Wii price to compete with future price cuts for MS and Sony

- relationship between Mac/PC - iTune - iPod could be like Wii - DS

- needs more stock, did not expect Wii to be so popular....currently making 1M a month but want 1.5M - 2M but its difficult

QUOTES
We were losing to the TV remote. So we thought what kind of controller can we create that wont make people afraid to touch it? - Miyamoto

We are not competing against Sony or Microsoft. We are battling the indifference of people who have no interest in video games - Iwata

My name is Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass, I'm about takin' names, and we're about makin' games" - you know who

Collateral damage from Wiimotes
-Babies
-Pets
-TV sets
-Windows
-Light fixtures
-Ceiling fans

EDIT: fixed Sony boss quote

Wiitard

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Anyway, it's been 6 months now and it is the only console with any sort of semblance of sustained success if not outright domination in all three major markets. Is it really still too early to call? I remember a whole bunch of "let's wait for February/march/april numbers" excuses 3-4 months ago.

No it's not for the purposes of serious business - if you were actually betting money on it, betting against the Wii if offered odds less then 5:1 (at the very, very least) would be crazy.

However, the forum is populated with "but it is possible" kind of statements. So far the predictions of PS3 comeback and 360 domination are just very, very unlikely but not ridiculously so. So "it is still possible". Like that guy in MC thread who said he would admit PS3 lost Japan if it was outsold 7:1. 6.5:1 was not good enough, because "it's still possible"

jey_16 said:
Key Points:

- Wii is really popular and is sold out a lot (even at NOA Company store)

- $50 profit per Wii

- Nintendo makes a lot of money (revenue = $2.5M per employee, profit = $442,000 per employee, both figures are much higher then MS and Google)

- Wii's success has done little to convince Microsoft execs that they'rs on the wrong course (Peter Moore: "I love the experience, the price point and Nintendo content of the Wii, but Microsoft provides experiences that Nintendo cannot provide")

- CEO of SCE America says give credit to Nintendo but points out that Sony have a innovative controller as well, technology doesnt go backwards and the Wii is a re purposed gamecube

- Sony views the world through the eyes of an engineer while Nintendo takes its cues from the outside world (eg. Pikmin from Miyamoto's garden)

FUTURE
- Nintendo could stick with the current tech for a few years and then introduce a Wii 2.0 with PS3 tech but cheap

- needs more stock, did not expect Wii to be so popular....currently making 1M a month but want 1.5M - 2M but its difficult
QUOTES
We were losing to the TV remote. So we thought what kind of controller can we create that wont make people afraid to touch it? - Miyamoto

We are not competing against Sony or Microsoft. We are battling the indifference of people who have no interest in video games - Iwata

My name is Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass, I'm about takin' names, and we're about makin' games" - you know who

Interesting...

Epiphyte

- CEO of SCE America says give credit to Nintendo but points out that Sony have a innovative controller as well, technology doesnt go backwards and the Wii is a re purposed gamecube
:lol

He'd be much better off talking about the eyetoy than the sixaxis

Wiitard

Banned
Epiphyte said:
:lol

He'd be much better off talking about the eyetoy than the sixaxis

Yeah, the quote definitely reeks of desperation. What, what does she have that I don't? Is is the boobs? I could make my boobs biggers!

LCGeek

formerly sane

A little sad that Wii isn't getting their best efforts or even half of it.

PkunkFury

the wiimote price isn't very surprising, as controllers have always had a significant markup. Microsoft and Sony controllers likely cost a similar amount when broken down into components.

What sux about the Wii controller is that we get hit twice by the retail markup since Nunchuck and remote are sold seperately. i think it would have been easy for them to bundle the two for $50

Hatorade said:

A little sad that Wii isn't getting their best efforts or even half of it.

I think what ubisoft really meant is.. they like working with nintendo becuase they can make shitty games for cheap and the casual gamers will eat it up.

LCGeek

formerly sane
DreamMachine said:
I think what ubisoft really meant is.. they like working with nintendo becuase they can make shitty games for cheap and the casual gamers will eat it up.

I'd respect the company more if they had the balls just to say that hearing them dress up their blantant bs is why I don't buy any of their products anymore.

Vagabundo

titiklabingapat said:

UPDATE: Wii Numbers IMPLODING next year!

I Trust Junior....

Prine

Banned

Good. And they are not on the wrong course, not for gamers like me.

jey_16 said:

Oh cool! Now give us some decent games.

There needs to be a GIF of some dude shooting upwards with two pistols while falling off a building or something for comments like these.

BrodiemanTTR said:
There needs to be a GIF of some dude shooting upwards with two pistols while falling off a building or something for comments like these.

Peter Moore's statement is 100% factual. I dunno why you included that.

titiklabingapat said:
Hopefully, being on the cover of the asian edition means it will scare ths poop tube off of Japanese developer suits and we'll get a flood of announcments soon.

we can have multiple accounts on gaf?

Pureauthor said:
Peter Moore's statement is 100% factual. I dunno why you included that.

I misread it. I thought it said the Wii has done little to convince Microsoft that Nintendo is on the right course. It's late. >_>

Wii is really popular and is sold out a lot (even at NOA Company store)

Wow it's even sold out at the NOA company store! (Unless Nintendo hid all their Wiis away when the guys from Fortune came along to make it look like it ws sold out :lol

Woah, I thought that it would be much more expensive to make! But I swear that the accelorometer was separate from the tilt/rotation sensor?

$50 profit per Wii

Less profit than I thought Nintendo was making, but still nice

Seems a bit too high for the Wii to me, I swear the average GCN game cost around $1 million to make? Besides, costs of development vary from game to game, I'm sure that not every single PS3 game automatically costs $20 million to make!

Good to see Nintendo courting 3rd parties!

Peter Moore is 100% correct, the 360 is as different from the Wii as the Wii is different from the 360 and PS3. Following Nintendo would be suicide, they're right for sticking with their current path and dominating it IMO

LOL! Nice job, make yourselves look even stupider in the eyes of the press and public :lol

True, and it's completely done Sony in!

FUTURE

Duh, obvious point here, but Nintendo aren't gonna come out with a new console for a good solid 5 years

And Nintendo would still be making plenty of profit by then! :lol

No, just no, there's no need for it at all. The Wii doesn't need to try to be a 360.

Duh!

QUOTES

Those are some awesome quotes right there! Someone needs to write the new ones down for archival purposes :)

jey_16

Banned
the article also talks about the Audio translator in the Wiimote, it converts human speech into a digital data stream.....it will be used for future games (Wii Karaoke?)

oh and i actually made a mistake with what CEO of SCE America (Jack Tretton) actually said......his exact words are "Sony have come out with some innovative controllers too"

sorry about that...i have edited my initial post

jey_16 said:
the article also talks about the Audio translator in the Wiimote, it converts human speech into a digital data stream.....it will be used for future games (Wii Karaoke?)

Wait, hidden mic in the Wiimote confirmed? I had that pegged as BS.

MattXG said:
Jump the gun much?

04e2b1347858564536431e8dd428d305.gif

jey_16

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
Wait, hidden mic in the Wiimote confirmed? I had that pegged as BS.

i dont think its an acutal mic, you will probably plug the mic into the Wiimote which translates the audio into data and sends it to the console

Sylfurd

Nuclear Muffin said:
Woah, I thought that it would be much more expensive to make! But I swear that the accelorometer was separate from the tilt/rotation sensor?
there's no tilt / rotation sensor, that's why it's hard to have 1:1 controls, in fact you mainly only can detect rotations or translations, not the two simultaneously .

Koren

tnw said:
Err... And the IR camera and the chip that does image processing inside the Wiimote ?

HyperionX

Wiitard said:
No it's not for the purposes of serious business - if you were actually betting money on it, betting against the Wii if offered odds less then 5:1 (at the very, very least) would be crazy.

However, the forum is populated with "but it is possible" kind of statements. So far the predictions of PS3 comeback and 360 domination are just very, very unlikely but not ridiculously so. So "it is still possible". Like that guy in MC thread who said he would admit PS3 lost Japan if it was outsold 7:1. 6.5:1 was not good enough, because "it's still possible"
Interesting...

Chance increases with every magazine cover article believe it or not. Magazine cover stories are like Kryptonite to any sort of long term success and they have very bad track records of getting it right. If we see a Businessweek (most infamous cover curse) cover article, I'd say there's 90-95% chance Wii won't last.

Deku

Banned
HyperionX said:
Chance increases with every magazine cover article believe it or not. Magazine cover stories are like Kryptonite to any sort of long term success and they have very bad track records of getting it right. If we see a Businessweek (most infamous cover curse) cover article, I'd say there's 90-95% chance Wii won't last.

it's not on the cover of the American Fortune though and Fortune in Asia is read mostly by professionals and business types. I don't see how any of your theories matter.

There is probably some statistical correlation between the truly mainstream media being late reporting a social or business trend and covering it just before the market shifts, but this doesn't seem like it You're desperately grasping for something here.

And a cursory search of the Fortune database found this. Dated Feb 21 2005
I'm Still waiting for Apple and iPod to implode. I must be really close now.

fortune_20050221.jpg

Jonnyram

tnw said:
Good job sales don't go backwards too...

bud

seriously anihawk, that was just a joke right? i don't read the books but i like the movies so did the guy spoil it or what? :(

AniHawk

bud said:
seriously anihawk, that was just a joke right? i don't read the books but i like the movies so did the guy spoil it or what? :(

I'm not a Harry Potter authority, but I think he was just ****ing around.

Kosma

Banned
Don't worry Bud. He's just messing with you.

My GF spoiled the next movie already for me though :/ Can I get a mod here to banstick her?

On topic: Bit too soon this article is. Especially considering it's not market leader even.

xaosslug

Nintendo to use Sony's old 'console war over' slide @ this year's downgraded E3 for massive damage, confirmed.

Nfinit

HyperionX said:

SCIENCE!

No wait, what's that other term, the exact opposite of science?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom