• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune Magazine cover story: How Wii won

Status
Not open for further replies.

koam

theBishop said:
The question is how far can you scale these things down and still credibly slap the title on it? Could Oblivion be ported to Wii? Maybe. But once you take out all the things needed for the Wii to run it, you may have lost what makes it Oblivion.

Sure, you'd lose tons of graphic details (isnt there a shitty PSP port in the making?), and unless it was built from ground up on the wii, it wouldn't be as impressive. However, the gameplay could ultimately be enhanced in a game like Oblivion by simply using the wiimote. So in the end, you'd have shittier graphics but the gameplay could, if done right, be better.

koam said:
Because the entire argument here is that people don't care about graphics and that graphics don't change gameplay as much as the wii controller does. The mass amount of people don't want to fork over $400-600 on a console when there's a $250 alternative with watered down graphics and NEW gameplay.

How can you mimic something as simple as bowling or swinging a bat on the PS3 and 360? Using the gimped sixaxis? Pressing A?

Read my post. I didn't advicate trying to mimic the things that the Wii does well, especially not with the SIXAXIS.

However, sometimes pressing A is preferrable to flailing about, especially in simulation sports games.

Evlar

Banned
MattXG said:
How will you be able to look at 2001 graphics in 2009?

How will you be able to mimic something as awesome as Assassin's Creed or Halo 3 or GTA4 on Wii? More gimped waggle wand mini-games? More light gun-like games? No, thank you.
What's going to happen in 2009? Alien invasion or something? I expect I'll be able to look at Wii games just fine, without risking life or limb or even a mild headache.

Grecco

MattXG said:

How will you be able to mimic something as awesome as Assassin's Creed or Halo 3 or GTA4 on Wii? More gimped waggle wand mini-games? More light gun-like games? No, thank you.

So much Wrong in this post.

koam

theBishop said:
The question is why are you swinging a bat or bowling? Are these activities intrinsically fun?

Umm what are you serious? Of course they are. They mimic guestures that you'd do in reality which in the end, makes the games FAR more immersive than prettier graphics and pressing "A" ever could.

theBishop

Banned
Deku said:
Is pressing A more fun? That's the question.

No, it isn't. What matters (in my opinion) is why.

What choices are you making by pressing A?
How will pressing A effect the environment?
Who will see you press A?
Will pressing A impact someone else?

etc.

I think since the Atari 2600, more powerful hardware has allowed developers to provide more interesting answers to those questions.

koam said:
Sure, you'd lose tons of graphic details (isnt there a shitty PSP port in the making?), and unless it was built from ground up on the wii, it wouldn't be as impressive. However, the gameplay could ultimately be enhanced in a game like Oblivion by simply using the wiimote. So in the end, you'd have shittier graphics but the gameplay could, if done right, be better.

I'm not sure if you've played it, but Oblivion is a bad example due to the size, scale, scope, and detail of the world, as well as the (sometimes VERY questionable) AI.

Like I've said before, it makes no sense to port a game to the Wii. Instead, you should built an Oblivion-like RPG that works on the Wii and is built from the ground up to use the controller. Third parties are just starting to realize this, but we won't see the fruits of their labor until 2008.

Koren

MattXG said:
I'm currently playing PSX 3D or PCE/SNES (even some NES) 2D without any problem. And getting fun with those games. Am I strange ?

I agree that nice graphics are a plus, but not a must have for me.

I'm more concerned about readability of images, which is a hit and miss nowadays. Good 2D design rules (such as contrast differences between landscape and character planes) seems to be forgotten by most developpers.

Koren said:
I'm currently playing PSX 3D or PCE/SNES (even some NES) 2D without any problem. And getting fun with those games. Am I strange ?

I agree that nice graphics are a plus, but not a must have for me.

I'm more concerned about readability of images, which is a hit and miss nowadays. Good 2D design rules (such as contrast differences between landscape and character planes) seems to be forgotten by most developpers.

2D ages fairly well. "Realistic" 3D does not. "Stylized" 3D is in the middle.

Deku

Banned
theBishop said:
No, it isn't. What matters (in my opinion) is why.

What choices are you making by pressing A?
How will pressing A effect the environment?
Who will see you press A?
Will pressing A impact someone else?

etc.
I'm asking if the physical act of pressing A is inherently better that say, making a gesture

Motion controls can also be applied to all the situations above and can be far more intuitive to some users.

I think since the Atari 2600, more powerful hardware has allowed developers to provide more interesting answers to those questions.

Yes, when marginal increase in processing power can provide a huge leap. And I'm not denying there is a leap in performance between current and next-gen games. Perhaps it is an indictment on the developers, manufacturers and the industry as a whole at they've had access to all this power, (in the case of the 360 for nearly 2 years) and have very little to show for it from a purely gameplay standpoint. That's a huge problem for the talking point about the blind faith in pure processing power because people simply don't see it. The response shouldn't be to blame someone else but to ask why. And very few people here want to ask those questions. It's easier to bemoan the success of a rival platform.

birdchili

Deku said:
I'm asking if the physical act of pressing A is inherently better that say, making a gesture

often - yes. a button is far more precise, which is important to a million different genres.

motion controls have other advantages, of course.

Threi

notag
dammitmattt said:
2D ages fairly well. "Realistic" 3D does not. "Stylized" 3D is in the middle.

I still play PS1 games along with my old and new pc games and i play 360 at my friends house sometimes :)

Deku

Banned
birdchili said:
often - yes. a button is far more precise, which is important to a million different genres.

motion controls have other advantages, of course.

That's one advantage, but you also concede motion controls have other advantages. I find both equally applicable depending on situation, so I'm fine with either. My question is, is one inherently better than the other? Demographic issues aside, where motion controls have more traction with the public.

dammitmattt said:
Fair enough.

A less confrontational topic - why do Nintendo fans settle for what Nintendo gives them instead of expecting more? I'm a fan of Nintendo games, but I really, really wish I could enjoy them in HD resolutions with better graphics and good online support. Why are Fortune and the hardcore Nintendo fans giving Nintendo a free pass here?

You and most people out there wouldn't understand even if i sat you down and told you how it all began. ah 1985 :)

theBishop

Banned
norinrad21 said:
You and most people out there wouldn't understand even if i sat you down and told you how it all began. ah 1985 :)

Heh... at the risk of completely derailing this thread... it started sometime after 1996. Nintendo didn't get this crazy loyalty until they started tanking.

Deku

Banned
theBishop said:
Heh... at the risk of completely derailing this thread... it started sometime after 1996. Nintendo didn't get this crazy loyalty until they started tanking.

Well it explains a lot really, more so with your total affinity with the PlayStation brand and what it stands for :)

birdchili

Deku said:
That's one advantage, but you also concede motion controls have other advantages. I find both equally applicable depending on situation, so I'm fine with either. My question is, is one inherently better than the other? Demographic issues aside, where motion controls have more traction with the public.

motion controls will be best when they're not just playing stand-in for a button. wii sports depends on motion timing, but also allows spins, lobs, power variation, etc... which is the way motion controls should be approached in general. a motion simulating a button push could be more immersive, but it doesn't do justice to the possibilities at all.

theBishop

Banned
Deku said:
Well it explains a lot really, more so with your total affinity with the PlayStation brand and what it stands for :)

LOL... I actually was an N64 diehard :lol I didn't buy a Sony console until PSP (at launch), and i didn't get a PS2 until Feb 2006.

I had an Xbox most of last gen (2003ish), but I've been into PC gaming since around 1990.

mj1108

And if history says anything we have 9 1/2 more years of these threads of bitter tears.

So entertaining. :lol :lol

koam said:
Sony Defense Force Has Defeated a Monster!!
Level up!
You are now at level 2.

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance

Requirements to reach next level:

- If MGS4 gets ported to X360 or Wii, "The game sucked anyway"
- If FF13 gets ported to the Wii or the DS "Waggle and Touchscreen ruined it"
- Bargin that multiplatform games are still better on the PS3
- Express overenjoyment when mediocre multiplaform games get ported to the PS3
- Each exclusive from here on in should be considered the next big thing
- Ask if there are ways to ignore Sales threads on GAF

I don't see them getting over their anger anytime soon.

And they talk about how outlandish Nintendo fanboys are, they should look at themselves. They're coming up with some batshit insane theories that make you think they're doped up on some shit before posting.

birdchili said:
motion controls will be best when they're not just playing stand-in for a button. wii sports depends on motion timing, but also allows spins, lobs, power variation, etc... which is the way motion controls should be approached in general. a motion simulating a button push could be more immersive, but it doesn't do justice to the possibilities at all.

Exactly, I think if developers correctly use analog motion to depthen the posssiblities of game creation, then the Wii will ultimately stand as the only next-gen console of this cycle. If they don't, it'll be a complete waste.

Deku

Banned
theBishop said:
LOL... I actually was an N64 diehard :lol I didn't buy a Sony console until PSP (at launch), and i didn't get a PS2 until Feb 2006.

I had an Xbox most of last gen (2003ish), but I've been into PC gaming since around 1990.

So you just admitted you don't know what you're talking about :p PS2 in 2006 is pretty damning.

theBishop

Banned
Deku said:
So you just admitted you don't know what you're talking about :p PS2 in 2006 is pretty damning.

I thought Playstation was just Madden and GTA... i was mistaken and i'm humble enough to admit it.:)

Joust Williams said:
1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion X360 2K Games 102 9.2 94.1%
2. Gears of War X360 Microsoft Game Studios 105 8.7 93.8%
3. Guitar Hero II X360 RedOctane 49 8.1 92.6%
4. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter X360 Ubisoft 88 8.7 90.7%
5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night X360 Konami 20 8.2 90.1%
6. Call of Duty 2 X360 Activision 87 8.8 90.0%
7. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas X360 Ubisoft 71 8.4 88.9%
8. Burnout Revenge X360 Electronic Arts 71 8.4 88.8%
9. The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles X360 Bethesda Softworks 33 8.2 88.5%
10. Project Gotham Racing 3 X360 Microsoft Game Studios 93 8.6 88.4%
11. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved X360 Bizarre Creations 26 8.1 87.7%
12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 X360 Ubisoft 51 8.6 87.3%
13. Dead or Alive 4 X360 Tecmo 83 8.0 86.1%
14. Fight Night Round 3 X360 EA Sports 76 8.3 85.3%
15. Dead Rising X360 Capcom 93 8.3 85.1%
16. Viva Pinata X360 Microsoft Game Studios 61 7.8 85.0%
17. NBA 2K7 X360 2K Sports 47 8.0 85.0%
18. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent X360 Ubisoft 59 8.4 84.8%
19. F.E.A.R. X360 Vivendi Games 46 7.8 84.0%
20. Crackdown X360 Microsoft Game Studios 76 8.3 83.5%
21. NBA Street Homecourt X360 EA Sports Big 35 7.6 83.4%
22. Need for Speed Most Wanted X360 Electronic Arts 71 8.0 83.3%
23. Call of Duty 3 X360 Activision 83 8.4 83.1%
24. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance X360 Activision 75 8.0 82.9%
25. Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis X360 Rockstar Games 83 7.7 82.6%
26. Condemned: Criminal Origins X360 Sega 81 8.2 82.4%
27. Hitman: Blood Money X360 Eidos Interactive 57 8.0 82.4%
28. Uno X360 Microsoft Game Studios 23 7.1 82.4%
29. College Hoops 2K7 X360 2K Sports 22 7.2 82.4%
30. Saints Row X360 THQ 82 8.2 82.1%
31. Tony Hawk's Project 8 X360 Activision 75 6.8 82.0%
32. Test Drive Unlimited X360 Atari 77 8.1 82.0%
33. Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars X360 EA Games 30 6.0 81.9%
34. Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy X360 LucasArts 51 8.1 81.8%
35. Tomb Raider: Legend X360 Eidos Interactive 61 8.0 81.7%
36. Cloning Clyde X360 NinjaBee 37 6.9 81.5%
37. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 X360 EA Sports 45 7.5 81.4%
38. Virtua Tennis 3 X360 Sega 34 6.3 81.1%
39. Marble Blast Ultra X360 GarageGames 26 7.7 80.9%
40. Perfect Dark Zero X360 Microsoft Game Studios 96 7.8 80.9%
41. Madden NFL 07 X360 EA Sports 56 7.7 80.7%
42. Kameo: Elements of Power X360 Microsoft Game Studios 93 8.0 80.6%
43. NCAA Football 07 X360 EA Sports 42 7.6 80.5%
44. WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2007 X360 THQ 47 7.2 80.4%
45. Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie X360 Ubisoft 73 7.5 80.4%
46. The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II X360 EA Games 57 6.3 80.1%

I don't see many FPSes in there.

Tom Clan60 confirmed?

koam

theBishop said:
(already have both of them)

Is it more fun to jiggle a rocker switch than press the A button? maybe.

Well you can always play it with the dual shock controller.

norinrad21 said:

I started with the 2600 and I was as big of an NES and SNES fan as you'll ever find, but I guess my tastes branched out more than others.

mj1108 said:
And if history says anything we have 9 1/2 more years of these threads of bitter tears.

So entertaining. :lol :lol

I don't see them getting over their anger anytime soon.

And they talk about how outlandish Nintendo fanboys are, they should look at themselves. They're coming up with some batshit insane theories that make you think they're doped up on some shit before posting.

Can we ban the usage of "bitter tears."

PLEASE.

It's the single most annoying thing about the new generation of Nintendo/Wii fanboys.

dammitmattt said:
I started with the 2600 and I was as big of an NES and SNES fan as you'll ever find, but I guess my tastes branched out more than others.

Well all those companies are gone including sega, with Nintendo its a different story, you have the Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox and countless of people who support these games and when you get a Nintendo rep going on record to say, the fans and Nintendo as a whole would rather see the company go down the tubes rather than end up a 3rd party, Then you got yourself a winning team.

Wiitard said:
bitter tears

Also, can you please explain how Wii owners such as myself who have constructive criticism for Nintendo have such "bitter tears."

I'm still waiting on that one...

norinrad21 said:
Well all those companies are gone including sega, with Nintendo its a different story, you have the Mario, Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox and countless of people who support these games and when you get a Nintendo rep going on record to say, the fans and Nintendo as a whole would rather see the company go down the tubes rather than end up a 3rd party, Then you got yourself a winning team.

I honestly don't know what you just said.

dammitmattt said:
Also, can you please explain how Wii owners such as myself who have constructive criticism for Nintendo have such "bitter tears."

I'm still waiting on that one...

I honestly don't know what you just said.

LOL

_Angelus_

Banned
dammitmattt said:

I was about to post exactly what you just did. The guy obviously doesn't know that gaming started way before 1985.
:lol

Grecco

dammitmattt said:
Can we ban the usage of "bitter tears."

PLEASE.

It's the single most annoying thing about the new generation of Nintendo/Wii fanboys.

Started wayyy before "wii fanboys"

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

At everyone in this thread- all the bullshit philosophizing over waggle, how it isn't 'better' than pressing A, etc etc. In the end its all bullshit. The point is wii is raping the competition in sales, your personal opinion of waggle doesnt make a difference. Get over it and stop bitching.

Angelus said:
I was about to post exactly what you just did. The guy obviously doesn't know that gaming started way before 1985.

Technically, I started with Pong, but I was 2 when we got it so I have absolutely no memory of it. I vividly remember playing Pitfall, Robotron, Baseball, Dr.J vs. Bird or whatever the basketball game was, and many, many others on my 2600.

Grecco said:
Started wayyy before "wii fanboys"

The Wii fanboys ruined it. How about that?

Angelus said:
Oh please. Many in the Playstation generation probably thought Gaming didn't exist before the Sony console too. And Final Fantasy VII is the first Final Fantasy ever.

_Angelus_

Banned
norinrad21 said:

Are you serious?
Its more like a pack of foolish diehards that would rather jump off a bridge than move on and enjoy all areas of gaming.

Grecco

dammitmattt said:
The Wii fanboys ruined it. How about that?

Probably wouldnt have if Sony/Xbox fans didnt ruin every Wii thread.

Having to hear "Third party games dont sell/graphics look like crap/Pswaggle/this game should be on hd in Every Wii thread Is just as tiresome as bitter tears.

Grecco said:
Probably wouldnt have if Sony/Xbox fans didnt ruin every Wii thread.

Having to hear "Third party games dont sell/graphics look like crap/Pswaggle/this game should be on hd in Every Wii thread Is just as tiresome as bitter tears.

Well they should be in HD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom