• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forum Rumor] Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apu #1: Very limited cutdown low power, accessible only to system OS and used for dashboard / media / always on. Not usable by devs.

Apu #2: Game APU accesssible to devs plus OS.

Same setup has been used in macbook pros for years. Very standard these days, would be of limited note worthiness if in durango. Is purely about reducing noise/power/heat when in media hub use.

shandy706

Are the rumors 2 APU that are quad core?

So the processor count will match the PS4 if I understand right?

The rumors being reported at multiple places now are simple "dual CPUs/APUs"

There are no details. It's unlikely it's dual identical APUs. If true, it's most likely a PS4 like 8 core APU and a low power APU/CPU for the OS/Media functions.

(Edit** also see post right above mine, lol)

ekim

Apu #1: Very limited cutdown low power, accessible only to system OS and used for dashboard / media / always on. Not usable by devs.

Same setup has been used in macbook pros for years. Very standard these days, would be of limited note worthiness if in durango. Is purely about reducing noise/power/heat when in media hub use.

This is also my guess.

Hana-Bi

If the second APU will be just for the system, then why is this second APU in a beta dev kit? If the devs can't use the APU then why include it?

It's clear this was a rather dumb rumor from the start, but the way some of you have so much fun just trolling the shit out of a piece of silicon is very revealing.

If the second APU will be just for the system, then why is this second APU in a beta dev kit? If the devs can't use the APU then why include it?

Because devs need to test things like task switching back to dash along with various other dash integration features (Even things as simple as dash theme packs). The only way to be 100% certain these are ready for shipping is to test them in a matching hardware environment.

ekim

Sure, but those features don't necessarily need a APU. Why use an APU with a GPU just for rudimental system and Kinect features? A simple chip would be enough in a dev kit.

It's a simple chip.

Edit: and by the way, you need a proper representation of the final hardware that close to the release.

Sure, but those features don't necessarily need a APU. Why use an APU with a GPU just for rudimental system and Kinect features? A simple chip would be enough in a dev kit.

Dash needs a full APU for all its various graphical bells and whistles. Just not a partcularly powerful one.

Boss Man

It's clear this was a rather dumb rumor from the start, but the way some of you have so much fun just trolling the shit out of a piece of silicon is very revealing.
Agreed here.

The striped controller part made it worth acknowledging, but the source and unlikelihood made it not worth a thread. Poor show by the OP, and like I said much earlier on: hopefully your filter improves because of it.

However, some people are acting just as excited to see that it was indeed a joke as he was to believe that it may not be.

Petrichor

Agreed here.

The striped controller part made it worth acknowledging, but the source and unlikelihood made it not worth a thread. Poor show by the OP, and like I said much earlier on: hopefully your filter improves because of it.

However, some people are acting just as excited to see that it was indeed a joke as he was to believe that it may not be.

It's not as if we haven't heard this rumor multiple times before..

i theory i agree... plus i do not think X3 would get double APU ( instead is possible a ps4-like scenario with an arm chip just for some background task)

BUT

in a scenario where Microsoft is working on Dual Apu system would be linked to Illumiroom feature, something that need more power than a simple Arm cpu linked to kinect

Reiko

Banned
Agreed here.

My filter?

Maybe a new thread?

new thread this.

Create a new thread plz

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Abraham Lincoln said:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Such a wise man.

Boss Man

True. But I just accepted a post request. Statham was actually going to post it as well.
I'm not gonna sit here and berate you or anything like everyone else seems to want to, but you gotta at least learn from mistakes mane. I'm not mad because I liked the BF4 rumors.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My filter?

Your mantra of holding all rumors at equal level of believability is inherently flawed. You wind up giving far more attention than necessary to ridiculous rumors and not enough attention to the ones that have more credibility. I know you want things to be interesting but you need to have at least some level of discernment.

Reiko

Banned
Your mantra of holding all rumors at equal level of believability is inherently flawed. You wind up giving far more attention than necessary to ridiculous rumors and not enough attention to the ones that have more credibility. I know you want things to be interesting but you need to have at least some level of discernment.

Is that really different to the copious amounts of far out Jeff Rigsby posts in those early Orbis threads?

It sure didn't garner such venom as in this thread. I wonder why?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Nailed it.

Boss Man

Is that really different to the copious amounts of far out Jeff Rigby posts in those early Orbis threads?

Posts aren't threads. Also, Jeff is sort of his own source. Correct or not, it seems like he's making his own rumors up based on public information.

He didn't just post threads about a single statement from a random post. There is a difference besides console warz or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is that really different to the copious amounts of far out Jeff Rigsby posts in those early Orbis threads?

Rigby at least did real research instead of posting random forum rumors all the time.

Proelite

The dual APUs might just be temporary hardware solutions until they get the software for contextual switching between game os and system os right on one APU.

Cause no one ever truly understands what Rigsby is saying.

But they understand you.

They understand you.

BlazinAm

One more thing the the macbook pro has a second chipset or are you referring to integrated graphics in an machine with amd/nvidia gpu?

Reiko

Banned
Cause no one ever truly understands what Rigsby is saying.

But they understand you.

They understand you.

A short paragraph. That's understandable.

If I named the topic:

[Confirmed] Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

I could understand the scorn. But I posted it as a forum rumor and I took it with a pinch of salt.

Reiko you need to read the Bagpiper fable. There's an invaluable lesson to be learned from it...

At this point, I don't even have to post a topic and somehow my name will pop up. Aegis hasn't posted in these threads in a long time, and people are still mocking him.

Boss Man

Not to go too off-topic or anything, but is there any reason to believe that two APUs would necessarily mean "double power" anyway? It seems like that has been the implication.

shandy706

There are links to other sites (in this very thread) that are mentioning recent rumors of a dual setup. True or not, the OP did not make a post that just has one random source off one site.

This rumor is as legit as any other. True or not.

To the person above me. No, it doesn't mean double power...even if true.

At this point, I don't even have to post a topic and somehow my name will pop up. Aegis hasn't posted in these threads in a long time, and people are still mocking him.

read the fable, but yea you have lost reputation for sure though. I personally think rumor is legit, the secondary SoC is probably for BC.

Reiko

Banned
I feel like too many people think this way.

Is this rumor really just as legitimate as VGLeaks' documents to you?

What I find crazy is how one website has become the hub and gold standard for all console rumors. This is the first gen that I have seen this happen.

read the fable, but yea you have lost reputation for sure though. I personally think rumor is legit, the secondary SoC is probably for BC.

Unless it came from my own mouth, I never had a reputation to begin with.

Well maybe on OT GAF, but that's another fall down the rabiit hole.

poodpick

Reiko's argument:
I believe all rumours have equal value until the official specifications have been announced no matter how far-fetched they may be.

Counter argument:
A dual apu setup would increase motherboard complexity thereby costing ms more money to produce the console. It would also create headaches for developers by increasing programming complexity. Therefore I don't believe a single source such as a single post on a chinese forum should be taken as seriously as a kotaku article citing mulitple industry sources or an article from vgleaks which has proven itself to mostly be an accurate source of leaked specs.

Boss Man

What I find crazy is how one website has become the hub and gold standard for all console rumors. This is the first gen that I have seen this happen.
This is really why you are at ends with everyone. Credibility is a thing. Not all rumors are equal. All of the butting of heads really just comes down to this, and you shouldn't be surprised when the same reaction happens if you post something similarly difficult to believe later.

Reiko

Banned
This is really why you are at ends with everyone. Credibility is a thing. Not all rumors are equal. All of the butting of heads really just comes down to this, and you shouldn't be surprised when the same reaction happens if you post something similarly difficult to believe later.

That's the nature of rumors my friend, especially for a console that technically doesn't even exist yet.

There are links to other sites (in this very thread) that are mentioning recent rumors of a dual setup. True or not, the OP did not make a post that just has one random source off one site.

This rumor is as legit as any other. True or not.

To the person above me. No, it doesn't mean double power...even if true.

I personally have no problem with the OP (Reiko).
He is correct that he just responded to the requests of various other posters.

However, the original gaf member who posted the rumor (sorry junior member, can't remember you name) - who obviously knew how to read Chinese should have:
1) Indicated that he knew of BD's reputation as a Sony console warrior.
2) Indicated that the responses in that forum was that this is an April Fools joke
3) Provide an indication as to whether the source is actually reliable when he posted a translation.

Tripolygon

Banned
Just came to say leave Jeff out of this guys, he has a very esoteric but brilliant mind (i think). There is always 1 exception to the rule and that 1 mind is Jeff, so stop drawing false equivalencies between Reiko and Jeff.

slider

Just out of interest, were vgleaks' PS4 rumours confirmed to any degree by Sony's reveal?

Clearly I haven't been paying attention.

Codeblew

The dual APUs might just be temporary hardware solutions until they get the software for contextual switching between game os and system os right on one APU.

It seems a little late to still be trying to get the hardware locked down if they plan on having this thing released this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom