• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forum Rumor] Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just out of interest, were vgleaks' PS4 rumours confirmed to any degree by Sony's reveal?

They got everything right except the 8Gb of RAM since that was changed after they got their info. They also misinterpreted a couple pieces about the GPU architecture but all in all they were pretty damn close. They also had the Vita specs over a year before it was announced and the Wii U specs well before launch.

Boss Man

That's the nature of rumors my friend, especially for a console that technically doesn't even exist yet.
It's...not though.

There's a reason why people care more about something from EDGE or VGLeaks than a random, short forum post.

I can't tell if you know better and are being difficult, or if you genuinely don't get discernment. If you genuinely think that "all rumors are equal" then I'll explain this to you more deeply. Otherwise I'd rather not waste the time for no reason.

Reiko

Banned
It's...not though.

There's a reason why people care more about something from EDGE or VGLeaks than a random, short forum post.

I can't tell if you know better and are being difficult, or if you genuinely don't get discernment. If you genuinely think that "all rumors are equal" then I'll explain this to you more deeply. Otherwise I'd rather not waste the time for no reason.

I think you're taking this stuff way too seriously.

It's just a topic in a sea of many. It's not the end of the world.

I honestly don't think any of us here are authorities on what VGleak's sources are.

I only mentioned SuperDaE since VGleaks thanked him for one of their leaks.

Sensing that there are 3 camps here...1 camp does not believe rumours and uses logic with some open mindness to make their argument to what it could be ....another camp hopes the rumours are true as the leaks so far have been crap..and the third camp is pro Sony hoping the rumours dont trounce their beloved ps4

Whatever the final specs the reality is a majority of the games will be third party and they wont be much difference between the 2 no matter how much ram or gpus or cpus...the choice may come down to usability and how well it integrates with your lifestyle.

slider

They got everything right except the 8Gb of RAM since that was changed after they got their info. They also misinterpreted a couple pieces about the GPU architecture but all in all they were pretty damn close. They also had the Vita specs over a year before it was announced and the Wii U specs well before launch.

So they have a decent track record.

Nah. Probably just developers breaking NDA and posting anonymously.

Other info was corroborated by SuperDaE.

If I'm understanding you...

SuperDAE corroborated parts of the vgleaks rumours?

And anonymous devs breaking NDA and posting what where??

Sorry, it's been a long day and your post has left me confused.

Edit: SuperDAE provided their leak... gotcha; although that's not what I was asking!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think you're taking this stuff way too seriously.

It's just a topic in a sea of many. It's not the end of the world.

I only mentioned SuperDaE since VGleaks thanked him for one of their leaks.

Don't worry about it mate. You posted 'Rumour' in the topic title. You did nothing wrong.

slider

I remember a previous twin APU rumour. Does anyone else? If so could they link me the thread? Searching on my phone sucks.

Reiko

Banned
So they have a decent track record.

If I'm understanding you...

SuperDAE corroborated parts of the vgleaks rumours?

And anonymous devs breaking NDA and posting what where??

Sorry, it's been a long day and your post has left me confused.

Obviously the PS4 rumors are possibly from anonymous devs. I seriously doubt there was a huge security breach from "security analysts" and that was how the info came to them.

Some of the Durango rumors are from SuperDaE, which he also provided to Kotaku.

slider

Obviously the PS4 rumors are possibly from anonymous devs. I seriously doubt there was a huge security breach from "security analysts" and that was how the info came to them.

Some of the Durango rumors are from SuperDaE, which he also provided to Kotaku.

That's great but, as I said above, that wasn't what I asked!

Thanks though, your other posts have given me a much better background. Until I forget it all again.

BC does matter, it's one of the reasons for Gakai on PS4; people play previous gen games all the time, especially in the first couple of years of new platforms. The "BC doesn't matter" meme needs to die.

Boss Man

BC does matter, it's one of the reasons for Gakai on PS4; people play previous gen games all the time, especially in the first couple of years of new platforms. The "BC doesn't matter" meme needs to die.
It's not a meme just because a lot of people believe it and you don't...

I want BC. A lot.

But I'm not out of touch with reality. It's not a significant factor for sales.

Klocker

Against the Dreamcast?

Sorry but no.

DVD playback probably played a much bigger role.

And I love my freaking Dreamcast!

that's true and first time a Sony console will not have a new media to use to entice additional sales

The second APU for backward compatibility does make sense, it's a game changer

Well if they are going for a subs pricing model, adding in 360 bc (and I'm not saying this will be necessarily through a second APU) won't be as much of an issue for pricing, as obviously the component cost will go up but that won't matter if MS offer the 720 for £19.99 a month.

Boss Man

They made the right bet on Blu-ray though.

There was a method to Ken Kutagari's madness afterall.
Blu-ray won the format war, but at the same time physical media started to become less significant. I'm sure that on some distant level, Gaikai comes into play here. I think it can be seen (with future goggles) as a gaming Netflix sort of idea.

I suspect that Microsoft will have their own (internally built) solution for this too.

My filter?

Hey Reiko, why don't you just confess?

pothead6sk_xlarge.jpeg

I personally have no problem with the OP (Reiko).
He is correct that he just responded to the requests of various other posters.

However, the original gaf member who posted the rumor (sorry junior member, can't remember you name) - who obviously knew how to read Chinese should have:
1) Indicated that he knew of BD's reputation as a Sony console warrior.
2) Indicated that the responses in that forum was that this is an April Fools joke
3) Provide an indication as to whether the source is actually reliable when he posted a translation.
1.Well,my fault
2.I did("But i didn't post it because it's from April 1 and he said it's dual APU lol")
3.He still a source i think,even he is Sony fan and seems like to troll(well i should notice that at first)

Too many underestimate on how low the games are going to be in the beginning of a new generation when they have so much at their disposal toward the end of the previous gen.

After you bought a $400 console and become limited on how many games you buy for a while, that's the point when you'll be wishing for that BC, and then the complaints will start rolling in for those who don't support it. It dies down after a year or two but it becomes a huge factor after launch.

So basically pure idiocy led to the PS3, DS, 360, 3DS et al launching with BC. Morons pissing cash away for nothing.

It matters, some people choose believe it doesn't because they don't see the long term benefit of having BC, nor do they consider the damage not having BC will do the digital services of both Sony and MS.

Essentially, digital service viability will likely be decimated when the non firm going populace realise their games don't carry over with their accounts.

Games like Minecraft Castle Crashers, Flower, etc. People will want to continue playing these games into the next generation and with the next console not allowing you to download content you've purchased on the same brand of console - well...

You could argue that Apple set an unrealistic standard in making sure content worked across all their devices, but it's one that people have come to accept as the norm.

Hana-Bi

I think with all the digital content alone BC will matter.

Those retail games of old-gen can be sold with your console but what about your digital content? It would be really convenient to have all the content tied to your account when you first start your new console.

Reiko

Banned
Too many underestimate on how low the games are going to be in the beginning of a new generation when they have so much at their disposal toward the end of the previous gen.

After you bought a $400 console and become limited on how many games you buy for a while, that's the point when you'll be wishing for that BC, and then the complaints will start rolling in for those who don't support it. It dies down after a year or two but it becomes a huge factor after launch.

Very true.

Master_JO

Banned
I don't know if this is worth it or not, But Am gonna post it anyway.

Chen Guo
Staff/Advisory Engineer at IBM

Chen Guo's Experience

• Oban – migration of XBOX PowerPC chip to 32nm

LinkedIn

Maybe this is for 360 or Next Xbox..

Chen Guo

Chen Guo's Experience

LinkedIn

http://m.computerandvideogames.com/333294/ibm-developing-next-xbox-cpu-codenamed-oban-report/

Interesting that it ties in with the above article. Where does this fit in with current rumours and the AMD Jaguar APU?

Or is it just what's going in to current 360s?

Chen Guo

Chen Guo's Experience

LinkedIn

saw that earlier. I think it's xbox 360, because why would she just put xbox and not "next gen console" or something like that.

the word "migration" is also a stickler.

slider

I also saw this post on B3D. Afraid it's over my head though. OBAN to 32nm suggests...??

You'll also note the supposed DF comment; although I haven't followed the link myself.

ekim

Chen Guo

Chen Guo's Experience

LinkedIn

I guess this is about migrating the Xbox360 vanilla PPC chip to 32nm for the Xbox360 Slim? (or the BC stack in Durango)

ekim

What if ( Big IF ) Dev kits are using AMD but the final kits will use an IBM ( OBAN)

Is it possible?

Switching von 8 jaguar cores with ... /I don't know how many threads one Jaguar core has equipped/... threads to a PPC chip with a whole other instruction set?! Don't believe it.
IMHO MS will stick to X86.

edit: It's not impossible though.
edit2: actually there were some more hints about IBM doing the nextbox CPU in the past. I guess we have to wait and see. 32nm just sounds unlikely if they want a small box with low power consumption.

Master_JO

Banned
Switching von 8 jaguar cores with ... /I don't know how many threads one Jaguar core has equipped/... threads to a PPC chip with a whole other instruction set?! Don't believe it.

Whatever it is Im sure it will be good for us gamers :D

But you gotta agree that MS have done really good job lately at keeping it LOCKED with no leaks :S

Thats gonna change in the comming weeks thou.

edit2: actually there were some more hints about IBM doing the nextbox CPU in the past. I guess we have to wait and see. 32nm just sounds unlikely if they want a small box with low power consumption.
Is IBM even have 28nm production?

ekim

Whatever it is Im sure it will be good for us gamers :D

But you gotta agree that MS have done really good job lately at keeping it LOCKED with no leaks :S

Thats gonna change in the comming weeks thou.

I expect more leaks from now on as 3rd parties most likely finally got their beta devkits.

@AlfredJodl (your name is disturbing :eek: )
Globalfoundries (some IBM alliance partner) has a 28nm production ramp.

Oh god, now you assholes have gone to BC via 360 as SOC inside Durango?

NO. FUCKING NO.

MS is not stupid enough go through all the trouble of making a super efficient APU set up and ruin all that work last minute by adding another fucking chip on the mobo that isn't essential to the core operations of the box.

BC by hardware is out. Gone. Deal.

kmag

NO. FUCKING NO.

MS is not stupid enough go through all the trouble of making a super efficient APU set up and ruin all that work last minute by adding another fucking chip on the mobo that isn't essential to the core operations of the box.

Yeah it's not like they never, ever considered it at any point or anything like that...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52446309&postcount=34

Reiko

Banned

NO. FUCKING NO.

What is up with the hostility in your post? Jesus.

Calm down man.

NO. FUCKING NO.

lmao.

so much anger. What's wrong man?

Whoever said it was last minute?

hell, who ever said it was for the next box?

could be for the xboxTV.

mocoworm

NO. FUCKING NO.

It was in spec diagrams from 2010.

You are way too angry.

Yeah it's not like they never, ever considered it at any point or anything like that...

For a new system, you consider lots of stuff in the beginning. But that presentation is even before they decided to go with AMD and X86 CPU for fuck sakes (not to mention so out of date that even getting DDR4 as RAM was possibility).

If Durango has Xenon inside for BC, it would have leaked already. Instead what was leaked was that BC is entirely GONE.

So don't fucking turn your wishful thinking into another shitty rumor. jesustittyfuckingchrist, April 29th can't come soon enough....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom