• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Forum Rumor] Durango Beta has 2 APUs. Console and Controller plastered with stripes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck keeping this thing from getting overheated, if true. Also, I fail to see how this is impressive considering one of the APUs will be dedicated to Kinect.

Apparently, translate the original thread, 2/3 say April fools and one even mentions Neogaf. They are laughing at us.
Well there was
http://club.tgfcer.com/viewthread.php/viewthread.php?tid=6638884&page=2#pid16558030

"我靠,BD没有扯蛋,720的手柄上真的贴满了封带,搞得象斑马。
Gaf上证实了。"
(Holy shit BD isn't shit posting,720 controller really plastered with black stripes tape like a zebra.
Gaf confirmed)

Spongebob

Banned
I have zero idea how much of the rest of that is true but I can tell you we definitely did not get the zebra controller thing from a Chinese forum post. Stephen had multiple sources on that. It's true.
You guys have a pretty good track record on these things so I don't doubt that the stripes thing is true.

I doubt this Chinese forum post because this person is only coming out to say this after you guys have.

Acorn

Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon_%28The_Simpsons%29.png
Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon_%28The_Simpsons%29.png
I laughed.

Cidd

If this is true, wouldn't this make the Durango's MB way more complex and affects the price?
what are we looking at a $600 console?

Only time will tell, Maybe this is a better way at getting a HD 7970 performance without the heat and power requirement who knows.

You guys have a pretty good track record on these things so I don't doubt that the stripes thing is true.

I doubt this Chinese forum post because this person is only coming out to say this after you guys have.

But according to the OP the Chinese post was made two days ago.

Spongebob

Banned
I honestly hope that no one actually believes this dual APU thing. Of the BS specs that could have been made up, this one is honestly the dumbest I've seen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The stripes thing being true doesn't make the 2 APU necessarily true. I can have info about the look of the beta kit and make up the rest.
Of course, but you can bring that same level of criticism to any source. I don't believe it myself, but I do see it fitting into the efficiency and harder to develop for than PS4 rumours.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Don: "Hey Steve, you know that whole yield issue we we're saying might be a thing?"
Steve "yeah..."
Don "Well the goddamn engineers just decided we were sticking two of the damn things in there too..."
Steve "FML"

Reiko

Banned
For the record I believe this rumor is probably insane.

But hey... If MS thinks fitting 2 low powered APUs in a box is feasible, then that's on them. Good luck with that.

If this is really true, I'm really interested in how it will all work out.

shandy706

Weren't the ORIGINAL NeXtbox rumors saying it was a 16 core system?

Kotaku says that beta kits are striped like this...and they did not post it on April fools day.

Are they sourcing from the same "insider" or is it two separate entities seeing striped systems?

Dual (8 Core) APUs would fall in line with the old rumors and even the 16 core rumor.

I too, however, would think the second APU would be for backwards compatibility or background/simultaneous functions. Which would be incredible to have if Microsoft wanted to keep a huge game library even at launch of a new console.

Spongebob

Banned
For the record I believe this rumor is probably insane.

But hey... If MS thinks fitting 2 low powered APUs in a box is feasible, then that's on them. Good luck with that.

If this is really true, I'm really interested in how it will all work out.
An APU consisting of 8 jaguar cores and a 1.23TFLOPS GPU is hardly what you would call a low powered APU (It's actually the second most powerful APU ever). When playing games, I imagine that the APU alone would still draw about 80-90W.

Boss Man

What would be the point of doing this exactly? Is it an efficient way to add to the power of the system, or would it be for a separate task (i.e. not purdy graphix but apps/BC/Kinect)?

Wynnebeck

Banned
So layman terms fellas. If this were to be true, what kind of yields compared to the PS4 would we be looking at? If Durango is cheaper and more powerful, then I'm going with that.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
what has microsoft added that has made alot of devs come out and actually say the ps4 is making them happy and its easy to code for

Guys

Jaguar works this way:

1 compute unit aka "1 CPU/APU" = 4 cores
2 compute units duct taped together aka "2 CPU/APU duct taped together" = 8 cores

basically the same as PS4.
He won't make a thread like that if it just means 8 cores Jaguar since every rumors pointed that,plus that's still in one APU.

http://club.tgfcer.com/thread-6638884-1-1.html
I saw that ex-UBI guy in TGFC(that chinese tech forum) talked about the same thing 2 days ago
"上周五项目收到了第一批Durango的Beta Kit,主机超大一个白盒子,新手柄。而且主机和手柄都贴着不规律黑色的胶带条纹,就和新车发布前的伪装似的。"
(Last Friday received the first batch of Durango Beta Kit,console is a huge white box,and new controller.Console and controller are plastered with irregular black stripes tape,like camouflage a new car before announce.)
But i didn't post it because it's from April 1 and he said it's dual APU lol
"最重要的是,Beta Kit竟然里面有两个APU,就和之前部分软饭猜测的一样。我操,这下猛了。"
(Most important thing is, the beta come with 2 APU, just like some MS fans guess.fuck that's crazy)

-------------

Interesting... Also refers to the stripes on the controller as the Kotaku article.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533556

Take all of this with a pinch of salt.

Durango super special sauce confirmed?

ketchup-bottle-explosion.gif

I believe in Reiko.

you got banned for 1 day??????

But my sony fanboy instincts doesn't want this to be true. If Durango does have 2 APU's, how much more powerful would it be compared to PS4?

Why do you do this to yourself GAF?

Oh shat the groundhog saw its shawdow. Rumor is false. Yes!

That is true. But maybe they would go with a resolution like 1280x1080 instead.

I don't think that much of a difference, I honestly think they'll go for full HD, take 10-15 maybe even 20 (in extreme situation) frame hit and turn down some graphical aspects. It worked for COD it can work for BF.

Satchel

Banned
I believe in Reiko.

you got banned for 1 day??????

But my sony fanboy instincts doesn't want this to be true. If Durango does have 2 APU's, how much more powerful would it be compared to PS4?

Depends on a LOT though.

Are they 4 cores each?
If they're 8, is one dedicated to a specific task?
Is it pure horsepower insanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom