• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

ShapeGSX said:
I thought GT5 didn't switch models. All highest LOD all the time.

They have higher details in photo travel. When people say gt5 doesn't switch models they mean for race photos. Those are the same models you and the AI uses during gameplay

ConvenientBox said:
I"ll just poke my head in here, but I don't understand why people just can't enjoy both games.

Fuck, guys.
People do.

Some people can even compare and contrast both games without shitting on them or their fans.

Crazy, I know.

tusken77 said:
Utter nonsense.
Yep. GT5 sounds pretty good, but Forza 4 sounds bleedin' incredible now, and is one of their best upgrades over Forza 3.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
I was obviously asking for the same car
lol this wheel is even more complex. What is your point?

Need some work to get the AI with a specific car.

Sporran said:
hahhahahaha omfg its the same shit level of detail as GT5
lol gt fans in complete denial.

shinnn said:
lol this wheel is even more complex. What is your point?

Need some work to get the AI with a specific car.

lol gt fans in complete denial.

The problem is that if he is in denial he wouldn't say "The same shit level of detail as GT5".

nib95

Banned
Can someone explain what the key differences in features and/or gameplay between the Forza's? One thing I fail to comprehend is the level of improvement between the games. Most of the changes seem incremental, sometimes even regressive.

For example, how does F4 have worse AI than F3? And how does F4 and F3 have worse handling and physics (and more steering assists) than F2? Just boggles the mind.

statham

nib95 said:
Can someone explain what the key differences in features and/or gameplay between the Forza's? One thing I fail to comprehend is the level of improvement between the games. Most of the changes seem incremental, sometimes even regressive.

For example, how does F4 have worse AI than F3? And how does F4 and F3 have worse handling and physics (and more steering assists) than F2? Just boggles the mind.
this thread ISNOT the place to ask this. go to the official forza thread if you really want to know.

ShapeGSX

Metalmurphy said:
They have higher details in photo travel. When people say gt5 doesn't switch models they mean for race photos. Those are the same models you and the AI uses during gameplay

Really? I thought they'd look better than that.

RotBot

tusken77 said:
Utter nonsense.
I have surround sound speakers and I play in bumper or cockpit view 95% of the time. And car sounds only come out of the rear speakers in those views, which doesn't even make sense when you're in cockpit view in a front-engine car. Really poor decision by PD.

shinnn said:
If by premium you mean.. like driving a vacum cleaner.. Yeah, it's definitely not premium. lol.

homespace
http://www.abload.de/img/20111021193011g0u9.jpg[IMG]

in-game photomode
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/20111021193638j3dz.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Do you realize that those pictures look like crap?

ShapeGSX said:
The photos of the premium car wheels and tires that were posted. They don't look all that great. :shrug:

As if you notice them during actual gameplay :p That's why I wished it would also replace the models for the photo mode like Forza does. It's a photo, should look the best it can.

But that's just the gameplay model, the same you see when you look at other cars, AI or players. As are all of these:

Circuito%252520di%252520Roma.jpg

6265043416_fd58f57509_b.jpg

photo_f552i___gran_turismo_5_by_hustler098-d4d46s9.jpg

photo_f550i___gran_turismo_5_by_hustler098-d4d46oi.jpg

6265044974_99633362dd_b.jpg

jjSOZ0lw4k4cX.jpg

6238446745_5e2e4223ec_b.jpg

6240803375_749ac810b7_b_d.jpg

nrburgring-24haxdvo.jpg

6247500551_fbe5c92fe4_b.jpg

6247498213_76bac95d98_b.jpg

6247499305_a03b9a3f10_b.jpg

WnrQM.png

6235114022_668c8797ac_b.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
Many of those tyres looks very good in my opinion, even when playing the game, as the screenshots above here shows. I guess it maybe depend on the car, maybe some have better detailed wheels than others.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sporran said:
The human ear cant tell the difference, but the salesman just smiles :)
KuGsj.gif

You don't know shit about audio, gotcha! Sorry if you've got slices of ham clogging your ears mate, many of us can hear good tho.
My speakers alone are worth 8k+.
And no, I didn't spend my money on cables. I guess you're one of those people advocating that 1080p doesn't really make a difference or that a $150 Les Paul sounds as good as a $4k one. I wish you could hear a concert with my system or even watch a movie, you'd get blown away no question about that.

Dash Kappei

Omiee said:
who has a 20.000 sound system damnn
Enthusiasts? Who spends 4/5k on a TV? Not me (I prefer spending on videoprojectors, lot more bang for the buck if you've got space, imo), but there are plenty out there I guess. And it's not like I spent all that money at once and I've planned each upgrade with care after intensive try out sessions of multiple gears in my ambient (to say not at the store). I've slowly built my system during a 10 years span (far from finished, speakers are like guitars each with their own sound and strenghts) and good speakers will last you your whole life.

Snubbers

It seems the AI Comparison video's are sprouting up all over the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNeAsv-2z0

I like how it's 'honest' towards the end!

I like how the FM4 AI shunt at the end looks much more realistic, GT5 still has a whiff of bumper car collisions (But I think Spec 2.0 was a good improvement).

And the AI giving the player room like that looked quite good to me..

I think the games are pretty much getting their with AI, at least, as good as it's probably going to get, I think the 'fuss' over the lol-tastic AI video on the previous pages was way OTT, I'm surprised people are so quick to grab the pitchforks and jump on the bandwagon, but such is life..

tusken77

Truespeed said:
It's probably his composite cables.

lol

Have a look in the GT5 thread. This guy who has allegedly spent 20 grand (that's 30,000 bucks) on a sound system, whined about not getting the free bonus car the US players are receiving, freaked out about nearly spending 9 quid on the dlc, and will "probably buy every DLC track pack they release if they keep pricing them as €4 for a big track plus a middle/small one".

Waste of time. I put him on ignore.

Dash Kappei

tusken77 said:
utter nonsense

Oh god juniors. Damn, it is true.
You have a problem with my spending habits? Why the fuck do you care? Sad.
He got smacked in the thread already about the free car by anyone else in the GT thread, I didn't freak out at all just happy I didn't waste it on my UK account where I couldn't play it and yes I'll probably buy every DLC even if I'm not that interested in the track (unless is pure shit which I doubt) just because PD/Sony are awesome with the pricing and I want to support that.
Now shut the fuck up already, how is this internet fight you have with me of interest to anybody else?
Newsflash, It's not.
Thanks, bye.

Snubbers

Truespeed said:
Why don't the Forza 4 cars ever deviate onto the grass to get around an obstacle? They seem to prefer the tarmac.

Yes, they do? I'd think in motorsport, sticking to the tarmac is pretty normal..

I like how they also seem allergic to the players car when he's defending the corner down the inside..

It's nice to see AI is evolving in this round of the games isn't it..

Truespeed

Snubbers said:
Yes, they do? I'd think in motorsport, sticking to the tarmac is pretty normal..

I like how they also seem allergic to the players car when he's defending the corner down the inside..

It's nice to see AI is evolving in this round of the games isn't it..

Sticking to the tarmac is important, except when the optimal path of avoidance is blocked and it's deemed more efficient to go off track to get around the obstacle. There must be some sort of penalty for touching grass.

Snubbers

Truespeed said:
Sticking to the tarmac is important, except when the optimal path of avoidance is blocked and it's deemed more efficient to go off track to get around the obstacle. There must be some sort of penalty for touching grass.

I agree, but getting on grass with most power RWD cars might end up with you in the barriers if you get it even slightly wrong..

None the less, I've noticed in FM the AI more often then not stick to the confines of the track, and I've noticed in GT5 II they are far more open to having 4 wheels off the track.. I'd say somewhere inbetween would be about right..

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yea, avoidance on the grass is relatively common. Hell even in F1 where the cars are incredibly fragile and close to the ground they avoid on the grass if its optimal.

Anyone know if GT AI changes based on the # of cars racing? I wonder if AI for 4, 8, 12, 16 is different?

Snubbers

AndyD said:
Yea, avoidance on the grass is relatively common. Hell even in F1 where the cars are incredibly fragile and close to the ground they avoid on the grass if its optimal.

Anyone know if GT AI changes based on the # of cars racing? I wonder if AI for 4, 8, 12, 16 is different?

I doubt it, the other staged video had 16 and avoided the players car, but I guess if someone has some spare time on their hands, it'd be nice to know!

Also, the track day events in FM4, I wonder if the slow moving cars have drone AI, as there can be a lot of those on the track at any one time?

My 5.1 sound system cost a little over $100 more than a decade ago and still works like a charm. Simple Logitech PC speakers with a THX receiver. I can't even turn the thing up past 2 on the volume without it shaking windows.

Guess I lucked out.

And god damned but every car on Forza 4 sounds incredible through em.

pixelbox

BSTF said:
I like how this GT5 picture is much closer than the 4za one... Not only are the cars in GT5 more complex poly wise, they also are much more complex on the shader side. Rather than slapping a cube map on everything, PD took the time to experiment on how difference material reflects light.

Top Bottom