• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
You pay $60 for the game, does that mean you are automatically entitled to all the content in the game right from the beginning? This was around before car tokens were ever implemented and had nothing to do with them being greedy, just to be clear.

The main point is that this grind should still be fun and rewarding, not punishing. Reducing the in-game ways to earn those cars certainly reduces the fun. At the same time, grinding is now the only way to get cars. That cannot be a...

But thats completely a coincidence!

This is indeed 100% pure evil, and fuck every "journalist" who doesn't care about this.

5/5 - The Sess. Mind you, there's little incentive to care when the games are bought for you.

How can you even come up with a diabolical scheme like this and look at yourself in the mirror? This is some Skeletor-type evil right here.

I think Skeletor was subtle and understated by comparison.

That the game has already been reduced in its number of cars, tracks and modes. The grind is more tedious, which makes the alternative even more "convenient".

Sure but the option is still there for people to get whatever car they want without having to pay a dime (beyond the purchase price of the game). I mean unless some cars could only be acquired via real money then I don't see it as that big an issue. Artificially increasing the grind is a bit shitty though. I know it's not ideal but hey this is the direction that console gaming seems to be going in.

Can you earn token by playing the game without buying anything from your wallet ?
if yes, how much can you earn per race ?
There's a thread on the official forums about it here.

It seems painfully apparent that this game is less about letting you indulge your passion for cars, as is repeatedly quoted, as it is about encouraging you to pay $$ to buy tokens for access to cars.

It's very slow to earn CR, with no bonus cars and little in the way of bonus CR:

- Highest paying event so far was less than 6,000CR (exc. bonuses)

- Rivals seems to pay at only a similar rate to races albeit with a moderate rank bonus.

- Finishing a championship (5-10 races) nets 12,000CR and no bonus cars

- Driver level up fixed at 31,500CR with no bonus cars

- Affinity level up, slow and trivial boost to event totals (5% @ level 1, then 9%, 12%, 14%, 15%, 16%, 17% ...)

- Crippled "Free Play" that only allows access to your cars or a limited set of "rental" cars, Rental cars earn you no CR and no XP.

- Crippled Multiplayer, only access to your cars or rentals (no XP/CR) again, if the lobby requires a car you don't own and can't "rent" you can't play.

- No discount on upgrade parts, but you can pay with TK ($$)

- Persistent prompt to spend TK ($$) on XP boosts. Side note: I'm supposed to have one from VIP status but it doesn't work!!

- LE that is supposed to have enough tokens to access ANY car but only actually allows access to moderate level cars.

Turn 10 set the economy and they've built it so it takes a hell of a long time (*) to access any decent cars, but you can get them for TK (aka $$$).

(*) Major racers will probably put in enough time (although even that isn't for sure) but casual gamers have no chance of using the majority of the top cars in a game that is supposed be for every car lover and that's just sad.

Is this just a really underhanded cynical way for Turn 10 to lure people into spending more money to unlock the un-unlockable or is this a genuine oversight? I can't believe any company can think the prices laid out for this game (based on TK values) are acceptable so it's surely an oversight on T10's part, but with their attention to detail I'm worried that they actually do think this is acceptable.

Right rant almost over, let's leave with this...

To access the Lotus E21 will take weeks, if not months to earn the CR required, or you can pay £50/$80 to buy enough TK to access it. Who on earth can possibly think that it appropriate?

P.S. Add to that the DAY ONE car pack, "we didn't hold anything back" ... so why are they available on DAY ONE? Yeah, scheduling, work after the game goes gold and all that but if they're ready for day one they should be part of the game. At the very least wait a month before releasing them. Even better release them with NEW cars in! 8 of the 10 in this pack are standard cars from Forza 4.

PG2G

The problem is that they took away previous progression reward systems (such as getting a car for winning tournaments, etc) and replaced them with this one. But this one makes getting new content take wayyyyy longer UNLESS you pay money and fast track.

I would like someone to provide some data that actually backs up this claim of it taking way longer.

Sean*O

Wow, I feel sorry for anyone who bought this cheap cash grab. Pretty shameful that no reviewers called them out on this, but I suspect they had 'unlocked' version to review with all cars paid for?

The problem is that they took away previous progression reward systems (such as getting a car for winning tournaments, etc) and replaced them with this one. But this one makes getting new content take wayyyyy longer UNLESS you pay money and fast track.

It's like if Call of Duty took away unlocking perks through leveling up, and made it instead through tokens earned by getting kills. Except the amount of tokens it takes means you need to get like a thousand kills before you unlock the next perk, or something extravagant like that. Or, of course, you could just pay money for tokens.

Sure you don't have to buy tokens, but Forza 5 have put new systems in place that will heavily draw out your progression if you dont. It's the exact definition of a Free 2 Play model.

This sums it up perfectly. I will never pay for micro transactions but they have adjusted the normal progression rate to punish those that don't buy in. It's unacceptable and I will never buy another Turn 10 product. Microsoft has ruined the last good franchise they had...

I would like someone to provide some data that actually backs up this claim of it taking way longer.
That'd be difficult to calculate.

Its not just a matter of prices that may have changed between Forza 4 and 5. Its also money payouts per event, and bonuses for affinity and Drivatar race results. Then again you don't have the marketplace to sell cars, or get affinity rewards and discounts on upgrades. Not sure about the livery/tuning marketplace - does that still exist as a way for players to earn money?

But at some point you have to take a step back and contemplate just how the progressions curves in this game are formulated. What they're tuned to achieve. And whether you believe that the monetization practices have any measure of influence over those values.

My perspective is that it would be a little nuts to assume the progression, the cut of in-game revenue possibilities and real-money transactions were formulated in isolation.

inky

Your skipping was stupid.. If u buy the game the pass is included. If you're buying used then thats your decision.

I don't like the practice, even when I buy new 99% of the time and in essence it wouldn't affect me. I voted with my wallet, which is what everyone says you should do in that case, so I don't see how it is stupid.

Stupid would be to buy it, then complain about how I don't like the practice. I can live without a few games in my life, maybe you can't *shrugs*

Nev

Banned
Its always been like this in Forza with DLC cars. Its a bit of a contentious issue even among Forza fans, but not one I ever had too much of a problem with.

You pay $60 for the game, does that mean you are automatically entitled to all the content in the game right from the beginning? This was around before car tokens were ever implemented and had nothing to do with them being greedy, just to be clear.

I think I understood it: when you buy a DLC car in Forza you don't get to use the car inmediately, you gain the right to unlock it via in-game currency, and in Forza 5 case, via real money too?

If that's the case well, I say paying just to be able to unlock something is kind of absurd, and if you can unlock it with real money, then it's a scam.

gryz

Banned
the game has been out for like a day and probably most people in here haven't even played it. how do you know how long it takes to unlock the cars in game?

Steroyd

Am I missing something? If you can grind to get the required tokens then what's the problem?

All that's left is the grind, and it's not a particularly pleasant one. Unlike previous outings, cars don't unlock upon levelling up. Everything must be bought in Forza Motorsport 5, and all transactions take place in a slightly misshapen economy. A series will, on average, net the player in excess of 110,000 credits for just under an hour's effort - but with some of the premium racecars costing well over a million, it's a somewhat brutal grind.

Eurogamer

PG2G

That'd be difficult to calculate.

Its not just a matter of prices that may have changed between Forza 4 and 5. Its also money payouts per event, and bonuses for affinity and Drivatar race results. Then again you don't have the marketplace to sell cars, or get affinity rewards and discounts on upgrades. Not sure about the livery/tuning marketplace - does that still exist as a way for players to earn money?

Agreed, which is why its too early to bring out the torches.

Izayoi

Banned
This post should be in the OP, IMO. Shows just how malicious this really is. Removal of features and deliberate changing of mechanics in order to offer further incentive to buy stuff with real money.

After learning a bit more about how Forza 5 works, I must say, they definitely have made some changes that are, without a doubt, designed to encourage people to buy cars with real money to the detriment of the game experience.

Seems like earning potential and car prices haven't changed. That's the good news.

But these few things all combine to make a pretty big and noticeable difference:

- No cars unlocked as you level. There is no logical, game-enhancing reason this was taken out. Its something that most everyone enjoyed. Some tweaks could have been to the 'progression' of cars you unlocked, but certainly no one wanted the whole system taken out.

- Manufacturer affinity is gone. This was something that also could have used some tweaking, but was otherwise a very good idea. Before, you could basically get free upgrades quite quickly. That could have used changing. It was definitely too quick. But again, people liked the system and it didn't warrant taking out. The fact that you can use tokens to buy upgrades now makes it blatantly obvious what the intentions were here.

- Free Play no longer allows you to drive any car in the game. Before, while some cars were quite expensive, it didn't stop people from the enjoyment of driving them if they wanted to. You just wouldn't own the car, couldn't customize it or race it in career. This was a fantastic compromise, as you could test drive anything you wanted and even if you couldn't afford an expensive car you really liked, you could still get to experience it out on-track. With that gone, it really pushes at the car collector types to pay real money.

- No buying/selling paints/setups/vinyls. You can still make some money off of this, but there will clearly not be any sort of ecosystem built around this like before. No reason for this to have happened. People *loved* the way it was.

- Buying cars and upgrades, the game definitely treats 'car tokens' as an equally viable way of bartering. Every step of the way, prices are given in credits and tokens, with equal font size and all, even going as far as having a little pop-up menu to 'confirm' whether you're going to buy with credits or tokens.

It all amounts to a blatant attempt at encouraging people to spend more money. All at the detriment of the game from several important angles.

So I was wrong here guys for defending this. I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. Its definitely not like previous Forza's at all and is totally shameful.

Eusis

the game has been out for like a day and probably most people in here haven't even played it. how do you know how long it takes to unlock the cars in game?
Some of these breakdowns seem to be coming from people serious enough about the game to figure this stuff out.

Though there's always the possibility of patching if there's enough uproar. I'd like to hear about that if it happens.

HokieJoe

You get paid credits in game for playing, just like in most sim racing games. Tokens are their virtual currency that you pay real money for.

The kicker with the Forza DLC is that once you buy a DLC pack, you still have to buy the car with credits or tokens. So if you paid for the DLC for the LaFerrari, which is a highly desirable and expensive car, you would still have to earn the credits in game to buy that car, which would take several hours of playing. Or you could buy tokens, which the game reminds you of constantly.

So if the LaFerrari cost 1 million credits, and you bought the DLC for the LaFerrari, you would have to either have 1 million credits on hand, play for the hours required to make the difference up, or pay for enough tokens to buy the LaFerrari. Yes, you would be paying them MULTIPLE TIMES in order to drive that car.

You had to do that with Forza 4 as well IIRC. You could buy a car pack, but you still had to buy the car(s) with in-game currency that you earned to actually drive it.

Agreed, which is why its too early to bring out the torches.
No torches here.

Just trying to get clear details and letting people know what's up.

But for my part there is no way you can tie your progression system to real world money and not have your game influenced by it.

J10

Banned
Late to the conversation. Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Game costs $60 bucks. Game has microtransactions for content that could potentially cost thousands of additional dollars. Same content can be unlocked by just naturally playing the game, but the grind is too slow to be worthwhile, thus stifling completionists for the sake of incentivizing microtransactions for impatient players.

Is this correct?

Late to the conversation. Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Game costs $60 bucks. Game has microtransactions for content that could potentially cost thousands of additional dollars. Same content can be unlocked by just naturally playing the game, but the grind is too slow to be worthwhile, thus stifling completionists for the sake of incentivizing microtransactions for impatient players.

Is this correct?
Pretty much. The speed of the progression isn't well known, and different people have different tolerances and definitions of what turns a fun game into a tedious grind, but the economy of Forza 5 is radically different from the previous game, with some avenues players relied upon for in-game currency removed altogether.

soo, CR is game Token ?
Forza has two prices. Credits and tokens. Credits are earned in-game and tokens can be bought in packages for real money. The bottom of the OP has an example of a high price car (CR and tokens) and the prices in USD for the different token packages.

GT6-610x513.jpg

Buy your packs of 500k and 1M from the store today.

We are boned.

Difference is those are the normal in game prices for those vehicles. They didn't change the entire economy of GT6 to accommodate buying currency with real money*, they just tacked on the ability to buy credits with real money. It might seem subtle but the difference is huge.

*Unless the amount of Cr you get per race has decreased.

BigDug13

I think it's a bit bullshit to not at least give DLC buyers the cars they bought. But after giving them money to unlock the cars, they still expect you to pay more money to unlock the cars or spend weeks making enough money to buy the cars with in-game currency that you already paid for with real money?

PG2G

On the topic of grinding.. I think there is no worse grind than in GT having to do the same event over and over because there are 3 prize cars, they give you one randomly, and you keep getting stuff you already have.

THAT is a grind, lol.

Atolm

So...as I understand it, supercars like the Enzo or the Mclaren P1 are not only truly exclusive in real life...but in game as well? This game is a true simulator! It even simulates the exclusiveness of those cars!! Lol.

ItIsOkBro

Don't shout too loud as GT6 has microtransactions. We just dont know how they will be implemented.

I dont like microtransactions but if they get the balance right, I dont really care (I wont buy them regardless). If it feels like the developer has slowed down progression in game to try to force microtransactions, then we have a big fucking problem .

I'm not sure how to consider Gran Turismo. GT5 didn't have microtransactions and the progression was already slow. I remember reaching a point where I had to grind like crazy. It progression is held at the same rate in GT6 but now there's microtransactions it'll still look bad.

Eusis

Difference is those are the normal in game prices for those vehicles. They didn't change the entire economy of GT6 to accommodate buying currency with real money*, they just tacked on the ability to buy credits with real money. It might seem subtle but the difference is huge.

*Unless the amount of Cr you get per race has decreased.
There's also the angle of how much you even get with the amount of real life money you spent. If we can buy the biggest pack and effectively clean house, and that biggest pack isn't very expensive then it's not so bad, whereas it seems to take multiples of the most expensive Forza pack to get the most expensive cars.

HokieJoe

I'd like to make an additional point about grinding. I've always felt that console racing games have that 'grind' element. I 'grinded' my way through PGR2, but you know what? It taught me to drive better. Getting those sparkly new cars and rewards is what drove me to well, drive better. The Forza games were no different in my experience. I haven't played F5 though, so I don't know how the game is balanced.

People complain that there isn't any real innovation with the next-gen consoles, but I don't think I ever played a game on the 360 where it was even possible to spend over $3,000 unlocking stuff. This really is the future.

Chumpion

Eyeballing the text quoted from the official forums, I'd estimate that a competent driver earns credits at 1/10th the rate of FM4. But if cars cost half as much in FM5, maybe the grind is then about 5 times as slow.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
People -- stop supporting games that use microtransactions. It's that fucking simple. Don't buy them.

Been saying this for years. But no one listens. Hopefully it'll get so bad that devs/pubs and console makers won't have a choice but to abandon it. Unfortunately, consumers buy shitty products and services by the bushel.

HokieJoe

I think it's a bit bullshit to not at least give DLC buyers the cars they bought. But after giving them money to unlock the cars, they still expect you to pay more money to unlock the cars or spend weeks making enough money to buy the cars with in-game currency that you already paid for with real money?

Forza 3 and 4 do the same thing though. Even if you buy DLC, you still have to buy the car with in-game money you earn by playing the game. I actually think that's a good thing, because it keeps things more balanced in multi-player. I don't want to race some clown who paid real money for hot car, but can't drive. If you ear the car in-game, it's very likely that you have some skill in driving the cars. Wouldn't you say?

I'm not sure how to consider Gran Turismo. GT5 didn't have microtransactions and the progression was already slow. I remember reaching a point where I had to grind like crazy. It progression is held at the same rate in GT6 but now there's microtransactions it'll still look bad.
Jim Sterling put it best when discussing the psychology of free-to-play elements.

Once you add these free-to-play elements to a game you've engaged the players in psychological warfare where you pit the length of the progression system against the openness of a player's wallet.

No matter how long the grind was before monetization, once you tie money to it thats exactly what it becomes. Call it a metagame if you will, but the game will apply pressure on the player to pay to overcome or circumvent certain obstacles put before them. Some games will be more fine tuned for this than others, but any game with such time savers is applying those pressures. Forza happens to be one of the worst if not the worst out there with this stuff.

Zacxx201

Banned
Remember when games didn't try to squeeze every possible penny out their audience?
Voting with my wallet and not supporting any games that have microtransactions in them. I'm paying $60 for every game I buy basically, and most of them aren't worth the price of full admission to begin with. Forza 5 and the Xbox One are going to need a substantial price drop in the future for me to consider picking them up. Hopefully this isn't a new thing with Microsoft's first party titles...

AlexMogil

People complain that there isn't any real innovation with the next-gen consoles, but I don't think I ever played a game on the 360 where it was even possible to spend over $3,000 unlocking stuff. This really is the future.

Was The Godfather the first game that did pay real money for an expendable in-game thing? Couldn't you have continuously paid money into that? Tryin' to remember if there were any earlier ones.
Here it is:

In-Game Money - $250K
Add $250,000 to your in-game money. The money will be added directly to your in-game bankroll once you return to gameplay. This costs 150 Microsoft Points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom