• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Saying this means creating even more concers about Xbox One's hardware itself, without any cloud. I...I don't understand what's the reason of saying this, it's so confusing.

G.Newell

So what they are saying is that its not the "cloud" powering the game making it 1080p, but that the cloud infrastructure sets up all the online services so easily it saves a lot of time spent on polishing the game to get it to 1080p

Carl

Erm why would this possibly be a good thing?

"Xbox one isn't powerful enough to run this in 1080p without the infinite power of the cloud"

Steady now folks he is saying physics and cloud AI not just cloud AI.

But he is still talking trash as you can use the cloud AI aka 'Drivatars' offline, it is just a damn file with driving attributes in it stored in cloud storage it isn't computed in the cloud at all, hence your ability to use them offline.

Spasm

He isn't saying that Xbox Servers is making the game 1080p. He is saying that because of them, they have been able to spend more time optimizing, and less time creating their own server solutions.

Quite simple, and logic even.

This thread is gonna be fun.

Nobody reads OPs anymore.

giphy.gif

Okay Microsoft.

Here's a good tip. Stop talking about resolutions. Just don't do it.

Also, don't talk about the cloud until we get an online vs. offline comparison of one of your games using the cloud and when it is not using the cloud.
Because I am fairly certain if I unplug my Xbox One from the internet and play Forza, it will still be in 1080p.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think when all this kicked off they issued something very similar to an ESRB exemption. Basically saying that certain features may lack fidelity or the experience may differ if not on the 'cloud'.

Having said that, turn 10 have not said that's the case either way. Typical of Xbox One all the way really. Some attempt at giving us info has resulted in key unanswered questions.

EvB

Now we know why they're so enthusiastic about pointing out the resolution. Xbone is basically one pillar of their Azure marketing campaign.

And Bingo was his name-o

`Try reading the article and not just the headline next time.

This was the only thing they said about resolution

So, would [cloud AI] have been possible last generation? Sure. And last generation we could have done 1080p, 60fps. But we wouldn't have been able to do that and the physics we did in Forza 4. So Forza 4 was 720p and 60fps, with the physics we had. Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps.

If anything they are implying that Forza's physics won't be as accurate or flexible without an internet connection.

commedieu

Banned

He isn't saying that Xbox Servers is making the game 1080p. He is saying that because of them, they have been able to spend more time optimizing, and less time creating their own server solutions.

Quite simple, and logic even.

This thread is gonna be fun.

Which is a meaningless statement. Beyond meaningless... It literally means nothing. They could have thanked Sony for not hiring them, because that allowed them to focus on development and making something 1920x1080.

Or not eating icecream, didn't have to go to the bathroom as much..

How do Sony/PC developers make HD games (last gen/this gen) without access to Microsoft's cloud? Its absurd.

system11

Oh...theyre saying the load of computations that the cloud takes off the system allows that power to go toward the graphics. But what? Wouldnt that imply that offline it wouldnt be able to handle those graphics then?

He must mean that if you unplug the network connection, all the cars slide uncontrollably off the road.

He's obviously made a pigs ear of why the cloud is needed for 1080p60, but the cloud powered Drivatar stuff does actually sound compelling.

Hopefully boring single player AI will be a thing of the past, even if it means getting wiped at turn 1.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Put this in The Cloud and we'll be ready for 4K baby!

RAMDoubler2-276x300.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I think the interviewer just misunderstood the answer, or both misunderstood each other. That "cloud AI" has absolutely nothing to do with resolution. It doesn't even have to do with any real-time computation.

Waaghals

I normally try to be somewhat well mannered online.

But Greenawalt is full of shit, always has been throughout the development of the Forza games.

There is no way "the cloud" can be used for anything graphics related. a frame of a 60fps game has to rendered in 16ms. Latency would make it impossible.

Maybe AI, but you can be damn sure that nothing graphics related runs on the cloud.

Thread: Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud Reply to Thread

fluffydelusions
(Today, 04:28 PM)

Thread: Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud Reply to Thread = fluffydelusions
268x176px-LL-6f40bd8c_Mase.gif

My word!

Read it twice now. I hope they mean they used the cloud for development (don´t need so many resources at their studio -> more focus on optimizing engine) and not for the actual processing while gaming to make the game 1080p/60fps. Because that would be fucking retarted and he should be ashamed to even say that. I mean, am i gonna drop to 900p/30fps when i plug my ethernet cable out the box? (just theory - not buying the bone)

Bullshit. It´s all bullshit.

Wille517

Neo Member
If this true then Mark Cerny and John Carmack were off by miles and MS has secretly revolutionized gaming to surpass PC's and I find that highly doubtful.

EvB

I understand that the physics are the demanding stuff and that they are offloading some of that to the Xbox Compute, which leaves more room for resolution improvements.

He says that if they were to do the physics calculations entirely locally then the game would be 720p

I'm reading this as BF5/Battlefront on XB1 will be 64v64 human + another 32-64 AI on each side on the cloud. Because it's obvious they didn't use any with BF4.
This is gonna be awesome!

I've read it three times already and I still cannot believe that the cloud gives them better resolution and frames per second.

So if I play offline I'm boned screwed?

No.

What they are saying is in all the time they would have spent dicking around getting online up and running they instead spent it on optimising graphics and framerate.

Which is actually a fair enough claim...but sort of strange given they are not exactly a two man operation and they could do it concurrently with different teams. Claiming it was "cheaper" to do might be a lot more authentic.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm assuming it's cpu stuff the cloud is taking care of? Isn't fps and resolution going to be all down to the gpu?

`Try reading the article and not just the headline next time.

This was the only thing they said about resolution

If anything they are implying that Forza's physics won't be as accurate or flexible without an internet connection.

I did read it, and I feel dumber for having done so. It's a bunch of meaningless pseudo-technical babbling which serves no purpose but to promote Azure.

I understand that the physics are the demanding stuff and that they are offloading some of that to the Xbox Compute, which leaves more room for resolution improvements.

He says that if they were to do the physics calculations entirely locally then the game would be 720p

:lol, would be hilarious if Forza was 720p when played offline.

Top Bottom