• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud

jaypah

I only skimmed as I'm at work, but is he saying that by not having to fiddle with the network stuff they had more time to work on the game and thus hit 1080/60? This isn't about using the cloud for graphics, right? Only asking because of some of the early posts as, again, I haven't had time to read everything.

commedieu

Banned
No.

What they are saying is in all the time they would have spent dicking around getting online up and running they instead spent it on optimising graphics and framerate.

Which is actually a fair enough claim...but sort of strange given they are not exactly a two man operation. Claiming it was "cheaper" to do might be a lot more authentic.

I think we have to all lie to ourselves to not read the subtext of this statement. As far as discussing the Xbone, Microsoft has been making nothing but nonsensical claims about the cloud. Now, we have Turn10 pretending that the cloud was key in having time to render a final frame of 1920x1080. No matter if what they are saying is "technically" accurate/honest/authentic, the message is still that the cloud helped them code an engine that can run 60fps.

Its absurd. Not only did we have last gen, 1080p, without the cloud. PC games and the Playstation is hitting it out of the park without access to Microsoft's cloud. Sure, again, sure, the time they didn't need to spend...accessing local data, helped them develop an engine, but no one else is having the issue without a cloud.

kpaadet

You better pray you don't lose internet connection while playing, and if you do you better get ready to move 5 ft. back to still get the feel of 1080p.

Kane1345

tumblr_ml6hww2ttF1s37joxo1_250.gif

I only skimmed as I'm at work, but is he saying that by not having to fiddle with the network stuff they had more time to work on the game and thus hit 1080/60? This isn't about using the cloud for graphics, right? Only asking because of some of the early posts as, again, I haven't had time to read everything.

That's all they actually get from the cloud, but that didn't stop them throwing in comments about physics and AI to confuse the issue.

Did I read it wrong?

The can do 1080p 60fps because they can offload other things (Not rendering) to the cloud which free's up the System hardware. You play offline and while it will still be 1080p 60fps other things like number of cars on track or AI will take a hit.

Pbae

If this is true, and I'm erring on the side that it isn't, that's even more damning for this console.

I can understand off loading some work to a cloud server like learning AI or number crunching but to say without the cloud it would not be 1080p is bull, since the xbox one works offline and i'm sure there is some preset AI profiles packed with the game for offline play and such.

Come on Dan, you are better then this.

EGM1966

Does the resolution drop when you play it offline?

Yup - this has got to be bullshit.

This sounds like MS getting one of their studios to push the cloud again and give impression that other games will be 108p/60fps due to the cloud - such as maybe a CoD patch later, etc. It's all insinuation.

Cloud servers can definitely be useful but only when a game has to be online - otherwise they're not going to help much and so far as I know Forza is being designed for both online/offline.

Of course if this is true - this is gonna backfire when it hits the net that playing offline reduces the resolution and effects.

The other slightly funny thing about it is it implies XB1 needs additional servers to produce a game that most likely could run 1080p/60fps on PS4 without the extra help.

Ploid 3.0

Everyone at Microsoft should just start being silent for a bit. Only talk through PR handlers that can filter them or something. This includes CEO hopefuls. They are just making things worse.

What is that statement at the end about server driven AI? Or is the reporter just drawing wrong conclusions from what he was told?

Copenap

Cross-post from the clone thread.

I'm not sure I get it. So why the cloud has anythign to do with 1080p is only because it saved them some time they then used to improve the resolution?

Also I still don't get the buzz about the Drivatar, sounds like something easily possible on current gen.

Honestly drivatar seems like the dumbest thing to tout "the cloud" on. That sort of stuff has been in racing games for a while now.

Odrion

Banned
So the real reason why BF4 and COD:G are 720p is because they don't use the cloud.

Which, when BF5 and COD:G2 do, will look A BILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THE PS4.

*vomits blood, dies from aneurysm*

jaypah

That's all they actually get from the cloud, but that didn't stop them throwing in comments about physics and AI to confuse the issue.

Thanks. It seemed pretty cut and dry to me but maybe I just happened to zero in on a part that made it clear or something because the gist of the article doesn't really seem to match the responses in the thread.

commedieu

Banned
If this is true, and I'm erring on the side that it isn't, that's even more damning for this console.

which is why this non-statement is even more ridiculous.

You know how they want it to read... and again, who they want to mislead with it, but it makes 0 sense to state to any competent audience.

"We have a solution for playing Forza 5 offline..... It's called Forza 4"

In all seriousness, I think it's just a case that the interviewer/author has incorrectly came to this conclusion. Maybe just a bit of crossed wires.

FranXico

How could time spent on one thing influence the other that much?
Are the same people who do the netcode also working on the graphics engine?

This is just a sales pitch for Azure.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
The reporter simply didn't go deep enough. This is a hidden endorsement for their ISP, router and switch manufacturers, PC manufacturers, and content management systems.

Truly an inspiring story of how a developer can do better work with the good infrastructure, tools, and collaborative management software that can only come from close partnering with a committed manufacturer.

Sydle

Cross-post from the clone thread.

I'm not sure I get it. So why the cloud has anythign to do with 1080p is only because it saved them some time they then used to improve the resolution?

Also I still don't get the buzz about the Drivatar, sounds like something easily possible on current gen.

According to Dan it's easier in Azure, because it can scale up and down automatically depending on demand. Not sure how to qualify it, but that's what he's suggesting.

jaypah

How could time spent on one thing influence the other that much?
Are the same people who do the netcode also working on the graphics engine?

This is just as sales pitch for Azure.

Hell if I know, I work for a chicken joint, not MS. I was just commenting on the part I read, which as I went back and checked was the first paragraph. I'll have to check out the whole thing later.

The cloud AI can offload processing power elsewhere (Like the resolution)

Which makes me wonder what happens when you are offline racing CPU AI (Which you can do). Does it drop to 720p?

Top Bottom