• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud

WoolyNinja

I read it as:
"We didn't need to spend time setting up a server infrastructure with Forza 5 and so it gave us more time to focus on improving performance and graphics we would've otherwise spent on server side stuff."

I don't think he's saying they offline processing to make the graphics better.

No, it's a corporate agenda to push the Cloud, and seemingly wipe out the power difference between the consoles. Nothing to do with the game at all. I expect more comments from other studios and media outlets pushing the same thing.

You're both right. The thread title is misleading, but his comments are equally so; and they really are mostly for the sake of promoting Azure.

btags

Where in the article is Greenawalt quoted as saying the cloud allows them to have 1080p? I have read the article multiple times and did not see it anywhere. He does say that by not having to focus as much on ai that they could focus more on graphics, but nowhere is he directly quoted saying the cloud allowed them to have 1080p.

jet1911

The way I read it is that they had more time to make the game/optimise than building all the infrastructure for their online stuff. I can see that being true, these guys were on a fucking thight schedule.

I wonder if certain people even read the article before mocking him.

He says that Microsoft having a ready built cloud infrastructure has saved them the time of having to develop that themselves, and they could use that time to refine other aspects of the game.

He doesn't talk about cloud powered graphics or anything like that at all.

Sydle

OP, I know it's not your responsibility to help those who cannot read well, but given the response, it's safe to say that some of GAF requires a bit of hand holding when it comes to comprehension. If I were you I'd update the OP to help some of the less fortunate out.

JeffGrubb

Them saying the cloud makes their game 1080p is utter lies just so you know. Losing a connection will do nothing.

Of course the game is 1080p the entire way through.

They didn't say that. They said the cloud eased up development resources so they could spend time optimizing the visuals.

kadotsu

Banned
This is probably way better PR than congratulating Turn 10 for shipping the best performing game on new hardware, on launch because talented people don't matter your server infrastructure does

Dinjooh

I'm thoroughly confused.

What?

Are we talking about this universe, or an alternate universe?

ipJiUHrbBTCMw.gif

Tulerian

I've been thinking about the whole Drivatar thing today. How exactly is it going to work? From what I gather peoples laps are going to be uploaded to the game servers, and used to form the ai drivers laps in some way.

They can't just use those laps as they are, because every race is subtly different, and cars following pre-set data would just run over each other the entire time. So ultimately there has to be compute performed at every stage of the lap anyway to perform the analysis of the current situation and the resulting action going forward.

Unless you're just racing against ghost laps as a one on one scenario I can't see how this is any use?

Racer1977

Bullshit.

I love Forza, even switched from PS3 (Gran Turismo 5) to 360 (Forza 3/4) mid gen, but I'm getting sick and tired at T10 pissing their integrity down the drain.

Stuff like this, and pissing off Forza enthusiasts with the DLC shit, leaves a very bad taste.

Are people kidding and just being willingly ignorant for laughs? Or they didn't read the article in OP and are serious? Please tell me it's the former, because I couldn't handle it being the latter. Plzzz....

OmegaDL50

Basically he's saying it's possible to download ram and processing power to push a higher resolution?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I mean I'm familiar with bit-coining and being able to reserve a portion of your CPU / GPU power for mining and complex computer calculations, however the "Cloud" cannot force a hardware to run beyond it's native specifications.

They didn't say that. They said the cloud eased up development resources so they could spend time optimizing the visuals.

Would you mind pointing out where?

This sentence makes it seems as if they are trying to imply otherwise:
Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps."

dralla

He's saying the server infrastructure MS has in place allowed them to spend more time optimizing the game instead of having to worry about it themselves. Which makes perfect sense, it's a resource management solution. Apparently GAF can't read

Venfayth

Second half of the opening paragraph:

"The ability to tap into Xbox Live Compute has allowed the developer to lavish more time and resources on the game's visuals and complex physics systems; without this advantage, it would have "struggled" to achieve Forza 5's final resolution."

Something like 90% of the people in this thread couldn't read that far. Astounding.

JeffGrubb

I have only ONE question:

Do you HAVE to be online and/or need a XBL Gold subscription in order to have Forza run at 1080p/60fps?

After reading this article, Microsoft BETTER clarify it for their Forza fans who might not want to play online and/or subscribe to XBL Gold!

They already have:

"Hey Jeff – Forza 5 runs at 1080p 60 FPS for the entirety of the game." They sent me this 15 minutes ago.

First post nails it again. Waiting for an answer like everyone else.

Looks like MS is still hellbent on diving into the graphics war and are now using the only weapon they have: a racer with baked lighting.

spookyfish

I read it as:
"We didn't need to spend time setting up a server infrastructure with Forza 5 and so it gave us more time to focus on improving performance and graphics we would've otherwise spent on server side stuff."

I think you're right on that, but what he SAID was:

"So, would [cloud AI] have been possible last generation? Sure. And last generation we could have done 1080p, 60fps. But we wouldn't have been able to do that and the physics we did in Forza 4. So Forza 4 was 720p and 60fps, with the physics we had. Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps."

Which is a tad bit confusing.

Basically he's saying it's possible to download ram and processing power to push a higher resolution?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Nope. Not at all.

"So, would [cloud AI] have been possible last generation? Sure. And last generation we could have done 1080p, 60fps. But we wouldn't have been able to do that and the physics we did in Forza 4. So Forza 4 was 720p and 60fps, with the physics we had. Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps."

Dude, he is talking about the differences between 360 and Xbox One there, nothing to do with the cloud.

btags

Would you mind pointing out where?

This sentence makes it seems as if they are trying to imply otherwise:

That quote applies to forza 4. He is saying that if they tried to do forza 5's physics model in forza 4 they would have struggled to get 720p60 in forza 4.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I expect this will be disproven in the same way it was for SimCity.
Edit: Never mind, they aren't saying the cloud is helping with graphics. They're just saying that they saved so much time on programming other stuff thanks to offloaded cloud tasks that it gave them time to tune the engine enough to hit 1080p/60. No cloud acceleration of graphics involved. The title threw me off.

Oersted

I wonder if certain people even read the article before mocking him.

He says that Microsoft having a ready built cloud infrastructure has saved them the time of having to develop that themselves, and they could use that time to refine other aspects of the game.

He doesn't talk about cloud powered graphics or anything like that at all.

Gaf and reading. That's a good one.

Other reasons for the game to be 1080p @ 60fps

* Moving desks closer together to cut down on walking distance.
* Erecting 12 man sleeping tents, watercooler and portable toilets between each efficiency-cluster-node of desks.
* Ordering delivery, like erry day.
* Switching to a mandatory employee uniform of velcro jumpsuits, freeing up valuable outfit coordination time.
* ESRAM

How'd that last one get there? You git now. Git!

I read it as:

Yup. He is talking about Man-hour allocation.

The cloud stuff is cool if developers can hook into that stuff easily.

I expect this will be disproven in the same way it was for SimCity.

This would probably be a good time to reread the OP.

Phamit

If they would use Fm5 physics on fm4, they would struggle on fm 4 to archieve 720p/ 60 fps

The whole passage is about fm4

So, they're saying that letting the cloud CPUs handle AI opponents freed up extra hardware resources from the XB1 so they could reach 1080p/60fps.

AI opponents that only exist online. The game itself runs at 1080p/60fps online and offline.

I read it as:

That's exactly how I read it. The thread title is purposely misleading and I can't tell if many people read the OP.

It still sounds like something that might come from a PR person, though.

Now I am mad at MS for not lending their clouds to all other devs...can you imagine all other games (Ryse, BF4, KI, DR3 etc etc) could have been 1080p/60 with the cloud power...wtf MS!!

Should change 'experiences' with 'clouds'

Well they are now, so I guess we'll see what happens.
Although obviously they'd have to develop a system for the other platforms too, so the benefits probably won't be the same for multiplatform devs as first party devs.

Gigarator

Whenever Dan speaks I always find that it's a prime opportunity to post this gif

ifj0FGLfIZoXU.gif

Guy should just work in PR, he's got it down.

Top Bottom