• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
This would probably be a good time to reread the OP.

Yeah, that is definitely something that's easy to miss on a first read. Updated my post.

There's a reason everyone is making the same mistake here though. We're thinking "computational resources", they're saying "human resources".
The ability to tap into Xbox Live Compute has allowed the developer to lavish more time and resources on the game's visuals and complex physics systems; without this advantage, it would have "struggled" to achieve Forza 5's final resolution.

We need a more accurate title.

Guys, GUYS. They found a way to use the cloud WITHOUT INTERNET. Amazing.

FQbcHgvl.png

WOW what a load of trash trying to make things sound better than they should be .
Even if it saves them time a machine that was not so under power could have done the same thing with better gfx in all areas.

Gestault

From the header paragraph:

[Having access to purpose-built infrastructure for online functions of the game] has allowed the developer to lavish more time and resources on the game's visuals and complex physics systems; without this advantage, it would have "struggled" to achieve Forza 5's final resolution.

I wish more people would read before they react. No, no one is claiming that computation is being handled in the cloud. It's saying that having mature tool-sets for network functions available as standard in the development environment allowed more time/energy to go into optimizing.

p3tran

Banned
So the ease of Azure on online infrastructure components allowed them to spend time on squeezing more performance out of Xbox One.

Neat, I guess.

Edit: I was going to comment in B4 people misread it, but I see I'm far too late, lol.

Edit: *looks down* maybe not...lol

page 3 and still what you wrote lol

Eusis

I wonder if certain people even read the article before mocking him.

He says that Microsoft having a ready built cloud infrastructure has saved them the time of having to develop that themselves, and they could use that time to refine other aspects of the game.

He doesn't talk about cloud powered graphics or anything like that at all.
Yeah, I went "wait what, seriously?", read the article, then I got it. It's not about the cloud literally enabling better graphics, it's that the cloud shaved off the development workload of creating this infrastructure so they'd spend more time fine tuning the graphics engine. Basically nothing a delay couldn't have also done (just look at Driveclub for that matter, not going for 60 FPS it seems but higher fidelity), and admittedly with the purported track number maybe they should have done that anyway.

I wish more people would read before they react. No, no one is claiming that computation is being handled in the cloud. It's saying that having mature tool-sets for network functions available as standard in the development environment allowed more energy to go into optimizing.
So, its something like the efficiencies you'd get with say, mature tools and a simple hardware architecture.

Makes perfect sense.

Racer1977

Where in the article is Greenawalt quoted as saying the cloud allows them to have 1080p? I have read the article multiple times and did not see it anywhere. He does say that by not having to focus as much on ai that they could focus more on graphics, but nowhere is he directly quoted saying the cloud allowed them to have 1080p.
Before Forza 4's launch, he said they couldn't add day/night & weather as resources were limited, i.e people working on ai couldn't be switched over to work on said features. Devs work on their area of expertise, and nothing else.

Venfayth

I wish more people would read before they react. No, no one is claiming that computation is being handled in the cloud. It's saying that having mature tool-sets for network functions available as standard in the development environment allowed more time/energy to go into optimizing.

People just want to have a knee-jerk "omg microsoft is so dumb" (which I totally believe, by the way) reaction and then fellate the first post.

SRTtoZ

Understood BUT are you telling me without a cloud server, they wouldn't be able to get this game to 1080p? Either way its bullshit.

I understand that the Cloud isnt giving it processing power, it gave them time to optimize, but there's not a lot going on in Forza folks. Its also got 50% less cars then previous and less tracks. What were they working on exactly??

jaypah

I wish more people would read before they react. No, no one is claiming that computation is being handled in the cloud. It's saying that having mature tool-sets for network functions available as standard in the development environment allowed more energy to go into optimizing.

I'm literally laughing. I keep trying to finish my shift but this thread is amazing. Like, zero fucks for the first paragraph lol.

Understood BUT are you telling me without a cloud server, they wouldn't be able to get this game to 1080p? Either way its bullshit.

I have no idea about development workflow. But I do know a bunch of people didn't read jack shit and it's entertaining. A discussion on the development of games and why he might be lying would be cool too but not as funny.

So, they're saying that letting the cloud CPUs handle AI opponents freed up extra hardware resources from the XB1 so they could reach 1080p/60fps.

AI opponents that only exist online. The game itself runs at 1080p/60fps online and offline.

In other words, they would not have been able to have BOTH A.I. Car Bots and 1080p/60fps at the same time without letting the "cloud CPUs" handle the A.I. bots while online.

The XB1 hardware, by itself, could not do both. It had to give up some of the CPU processing to the cloud for the A.I. bots, in order to dedicate the rest of the console to reaching 1080p/60fps, WHEN USING THE A.I. BOTs.

Bottom line - you play the whole game in 1080p/60fps, online and offline. It's just that the A.I. bots require a cloud connection, since the cloud CPUs control them, not the XB1 hardware.

Chumpion

Hahahahahahhaahaha! Please stop it, MS. This is too much. Must breathe... can't laugh... much longer... ahahahahahhahahahahahaa!

Despera

Banned
From what I understand the dude is talking about how Turn 10 benefited from the cloud during Forza 5 development. And that they wouldn't have achieved 1080p/60 fps as easily without access to MS cloud servers.

Praise the cloud!

Had to read it a second time to grasp what was being said. The real point is almost hidden within a cloud of PR fluff. Almost like the little disclaimer/fine print thingies at the bottom of a contract. Title is intentionally misleading and so is most the wording of the article.

For example

Microsoft's Azure server network "allows you to bring a lot of computational power and server bandwidth to bear," Greenawalt explained. "It scales automatically and you don't have to write for it, so it's an instant server. It's basically a technology that allows you to do cloud computing very cheaply and very easily. It just automatically scales for the amount of people.

Makes it sound like this is all about cloud computing rather than giving the developer some extra free time.

Other reasons for the game to be 1080p @ 60fps

* Moving desks closer together to cut down on walking distance.
* Erecting 12 man sleeping tents, watercooler and portable toilets between each efficiency-cluster-node of desks.
* Ordering delivery, like erry day.
* Switching to a mandatory employee uniform of velcro jumpsuits, freeing up valuable outfit coordination time.
* ESRAM

How'd that last one get there? You git now. Git!

lol.

You forgot about ordering dinners (Ryse).

Tulerian

But he is saying that compute is being done in the cloud...

"The reason we say that, though, is because we could have done cloud-powered opponents last generation, but we would have had to have done all the infrastructure," he continued. "Now with Xbox One we get servers, we get Azure, we get Thunderhead, and it's so easy to plug into."
Microsoft's Azure server network "allows you to bring a lot of computational power and server bandwidth to bear," Greenawalt explained. "It scales automatically and you don't have to write for it, so it's an instant server. It's basically a technology that allows you to do cloud computing very cheaply and very easily. It just automatically scales for the amount of people.

it is being used for oponents ai, and this is where a lot of local compute time is being saved. Supposedly.

He is saying the Azure service means they don't have to spend time developing it themselves, but it's the offload of compute which enables the performance improvement.

Alebrije

Yeah, I went "wait what, seriously?", read the article, then I got it. It's not about the cloud literally enabling better graphics, it's that the cloud shaved off the development workload of creating this infrastructure so they'd spend more time fine tuning the graphics engine. Basically nothing a delay couldn't have also done (just look at Driveclub for that matter, not going for 60 FPS it seems but higher fidelity), and admittedly with the purported track number maybe they should have done that anyway.

So they used the cloud to develop the game , but you do not need it to run Forza in the Xbone?

This is actually a great question. According to this article, playing offline will cause a degradation in either resolution, frame rate, or physics quality.

where does it say that

So, they're saying that letting the cloud CPUs handle AI opponents freed up extra hardware resources from the XB1 so they could reach 1080p/60fps.

AI opponents that only exist online. The game itself runs at 1080p/60fps online and offline.

In other words, they would not have been able to have BOTH A.I. Car Bots and 1080p/60fps at the same time without letting the "cloud CPUs" handle the A.I. bots while online.

The XB1 hardware, by itself, could not do both. It had to give up some of the CPU processing to the cloud for the A.I. bots, in order to dedicate the rest of the console to reaching 1080p/60fps, WHEN USING THE A.I. BOTs.

Bottom line - you play the whole game in 1080p/60fps, online and offline. It's just that the A.I. bots require a cloud connection, since the cloud CPUs control them, not the XB1 hardware.

no, that isn't what they are saying

So they used the cloud to develop the game , but you do not need it to run Forza in the Xbone?

No. You only need the cloud to race against the A.I. bots.

The A.I. bots are controlled by the CPUs in the "cloud", not on the XB1 hardware.

The game always runs at 1080p/60fps, online and offline.

SRTtoZ

But he is saying that compute is being done in the cloud...

"The reason we say that, though, is because we could have done cloud-powered opponents last generation, but we would have had to have done all the infrastructure," he continued. "Now with Xbox One we get servers, we get Azure, we get Thunderhead, and it's so easy to plug into."

it is being used for oponents ai, and this is where a lot of local compute time is being saved. Supposedly.

He is saying the Azure service means they don't have to spend time developing it themselves, but it's the offload of compute which enables the performance improvement.

So its being used for that Driveatar thing basically?

Arcteryx

Soooo...if the cloud powers the AI drivers, what happens when there is no cloud?

Serious question.

Does the game take a hit in the fps department or something? or is this just more of the typical MS "cloud" bullshit?
I would lol if there was no AI without a constant connection

He isn't saying that Xbox Servers is making the game 1080p. He is saying that because of them, they have been able to spend more time optimizing, and less time creating their own server solutions.

Quite simple, and logic even.

Why would the people who do 3D graphics on the game have been out looking for server solutions?

Alebrije

No. You only need the cloud to race against the A.I. bots.

The A.I. bots are controlled by the CPUs in the "cloud", not on the XB1 hardware.

The game always runs at 1080p/60fps, online and offline.

Ok so if you are offline the only downgrade will be the A.I. bots behavior?

dengatron

greenawalt has been spewing nonsense about "teh cloudz" since the forza reveal. isn't the only cloud use in forza for their asynch ai? and if you don't play online you download an initial set of bots.. so their game wouldn't run at it's current resolution without the ai data being elsewhere? i smell bullshit.

jaypah

Yes, what was said was PR bullshit and people call them out for it, am i missing something?

People called them out for saying that they used cloud processing to make graphics better on the fly. Except they never said that. They said that by not having to be as hands on with the networking part of the game they could spend resources (people, not computational power) elsewhere, thus giving them time to polish up the graphics. Only a handful of people, if that, called them out on their development workflow, which was the actual gist of the article.

Top Bottom