• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Xanadu

Banned
Snubbers said:
it isn't iRacing vicious and has this wide/explorable progressive limit.. How much is artificial and how much is closer to real life, I don't know yet.
well no one was expecting this tbh, i'm glad its better than forza 3 but i guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow to see for myself

I am interested in making a leagle with prizes for sometime in a few weeks once we all get use to the demo and full game, looking at teams of 4 v 4 over a table of knock out and losers bracket stuff so everyone can enter multiple races and to keep things fun.

I tried to do this with forza 1 and 2 years ago and even owned www.forzamorotclub.com for a while (it's not there any more) and with the huge improvement to 4's gameplay I think now is a good time to try again, I also have a job now so I can afford to give away some goodies, I also contacted jube about it.

It will be something like this:

teams of 4 versus another team in a knock out, points for winning being 10 and coming last only 1 so everyone can contribute to their team even if they crash out or finish low in the field, losing teams will play the losing team from the same brackets so they can continue to join in.

The reason I want to try this again is because now using car clubs we can share the same cars for the same races, this puts EVERYONE on a fair level using the tuned car of choice, also custom paint jobs for each team to use.

Xanadu

Banned
antiquegamer said:
So are we, but apparently you don't seem to get the hint.
lol you only seem to come out from under your rock to comment on my posts, just add me to your ignore if you dont like my posts

p3tran

Banned
skyfinch said:
And someone with too much time on their hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4yRlLC4-o

see, seanspeed? no matter how many rules are there to break your balls, there arent enough.
this guy with this method can probably register a certified time in blitz mode,
but only after he blitzed the traffic and now he's running solo, no obstacles.
new game types, new additional rules..

p.s.
xanadu, chill my friend. nothing in this life is 100% perfect. look at the good parts. there are many.

Xanadu

Banned
p3tran said:
see, seanspeed? no matter how many rules are there to break your balls, there arent enough.

p.s.
xanadu, chill my friend. nothing in this life is 100% perfect. look at the good parts. there are many.
yes i know there are good parts, but the thing that matters most to me are the physics, so i will be disappointed if they arent up to par

saladine1

Xanadu said:
yes i know there are good parts, but the thing that matters most to me are the physics, so i will be disappointed if they arent up to par
The physics are excellent. Up there with the best of them imo. It's just these little things with assists and steering lock that's holding it back just a little.
Even with those slight flaws, you can still feel the difference between the two games. It feels more edgy. It feels more alive. More feedback from the tyres and cars as a whole.
Very impressive.

Xanadu

Banned
saladine1 said:
The physics are excellent. Up there with the best of them imo. It's just these little things with assists and steering lock that's holding it back just a little.
Even with those slight flaws, you can still feel the difference between the two games. It feels more edgy. It feels more alive. More feedback from the tyres and cars as a whole.
Very impressive.
i hope this is true, i will take your word for it

p3tran

Banned
Xanadu said:
well, physics are shit-your-pants good and enjoyable. And this, before even playing on my wheel setup, on joystick.
tarmac physics feel good, weight transfer etc, touch/bump physics etc seem fine, driving the pagani full throttle is living on the edge, going the big downhill with the M5 on its side with 190km/h while dodging traffic or flying the 458 from curb to curb are very-very enjoyable.
no worries there mate. you're gonna have fun. guaranteed. ;)

SarBear

I really enjoy the correction to the FOV issue i had with Forza 3. I use the first option of third-person driving perspective, and rather enjoyed the position in Forza 2. When i tried the Forza 3 demo, I overlooked the slight change (they pushed the damn viewpoint forward, making the cars seems a lot smaller) hoping it would be fixed before the launch. Nope. -__- And even though I thoroughly enjoyed Forza 3, i hated the slight change.

So glad they pulled the FOV towards the player back again. So glad. =)

Jamesways

saladine1 said:
Very impressive.

I completely agree. It feels like a completely different game. I'm very impressed at everything, the physics, the FOV, the new cockpits, the lighting.

I'm super excited for the the full game.

Snubbers

p3tran said:
well, physics are shit-your-pants good and enjoyable. And this, before even playing on my wheel setup, on joystick.
tarmac physics feel good, weight transfer etc, touch/bump physics etc seem fine, driving the pagani full throttle is living on the edge, going the big downhill with the M5 on its side with 190km/h while dodging traffic or flying the 458 from curb to curb are very-very enjoyable.
no worries there mate. you're gonna have fun. guaranteed. ;)

saladine1 said:
Very impressive.

Pretty much how I feel..

Nothing is perfect, we can see some small foibles, but as a driving experience, taken as a whole, it's a very worthy game..

Diablohead said:
I am interested in making a leagle with prizes for sometime in a few weeks once we all get use to the demo and full game, looking at teams of 4 v 4 over a table of knock out and losers bracket stuff so everyone can enter multiple races and to keep things fun.

I tried to do this with forza 1 and 2 years ago and even owned www.forzamorotclub.com for a while (it's not there any more) and with the huge improvement to 4's gameplay I think now is a good time to try again, I also have a job now so I can afford to give away some goodies, I also contacted jube about it.

It will be something like this:

teams of 4 versus another team in a knock out, points for winning being 10 and coming last only 1 so everyone can contribute to their team even if they crash out or finish low in the field, losing teams will play the losing team from the same brackets so they can continue to join in.

The reason I want to try this again is because now using car clubs we can share the same cars for the same races, this puts EVERYONE on a fair level using the tuned car of choice, also custom paint jobs for each team to use.
Sounds great.

I'm excited to see how much flexibly there is with car clubs. I love head-to-head racing of course, but the asynchronous possibilities are what I'm really interested in. More practical, more inclusive. There's plenty of room for both.

Seanspeed

Banned
p3tran said:
This is a completely different thing. An overlooked bug that can be patched later on.

I haven't played the demo yet, but I hear its very hard to get a 'certified' time with the traffic challenges already, so I dont see the point in caring about the competitiveness of that aspect. I dont know exactly how its like, but I know that the races in games like TDU were more about getting lucky with the traffic than anything. Its fun, but I wouldn't care too much about somebody else who manages to do it quicker with a 'validated' time. If anything, I think its another argument that this 'validation' system is busted.

Xanadu said:
This is what I'm talking about, dude. You might fool some people with your supposedly reasonable stance on the game, but I think you're see-through as hell. You are raising your expectations to an unreasonable degree so you can shit on the physics as soon as you try it or hear somebody else that points out some flaw.

Bottom line is that Forza will never be a great sim. Its a fantastic car lover's game and something that most motorsport fans should be able to enjoy, but it will never be rFactor or anything. Of course Turn 10 and MS will market it as a proper sim, but thats marketing for you. To the casual audience, its already on the extreme end of realistic. Real racing is difficult and not for the 'every person' but they need this game to sell millions. Concessions are inevitable.

SarBear

Seanspeed said:
This is a completely different thing. An overlooked bug that can be patched later on.

I haven't played the demo yet, but I hear its very hard to get a 'certified' time with the traffic challenges already, so I dont see the point in caring about the competitiveness of that aspect. I dont know exactly how its like, but I know that the races in games like TDU were more about getting lucky with the traffic than anything. Its fun, but I wouldn't care too much about somebody else who manages to do it quicker with a 'validated' time. If anything, I think its another argument that this 'validation' system is busted.

This. And so much of it

Snubbers said:
I'm having a bit of chuckle at the meltdown of the 'steering assist'..

Firstly, I'd like to say I don't think any obvoius assist/wobble is a good thing, I'm not defending it.. For all I know T10 are trolling us..

But..

I remember in FM3, it was discussed on GTPlanet, Gek's video shown to the everyone etc, and I did an analysis of it myself, to see how it affected things.. It was obvious from some simple tests that it didn't fit the M.O. of some really obvious high level auto-assist as the oscillation of the wheel made little sense.. The high grip levels and resistance to pendulation all seemed inherent in the physics model to my engineering eye.. but much debate ensued..

Now fast forward to FM4, another video appears, steering wobble still present, and T10 claiming that all steering assists have been removed..

Now the funny thing is, whilst I myself can see a little softness in the physics, the cars will swap ends and oversteer a degree more then FM3, yet the steering wobble is still present and looks the same as FM3.. I am starting to think that the wobble is (as I suspected) not the assist people think it is..

What is obvious is the inverse non-linearity in the steering, it's very direct around centre, but it's rate reduces towards each end.. I can only think that this is to speed up steering at centre due to the new tyre data model thing not play testing too well with 1:1 input..

No engine is perfect, but I can say that I'm v.impressed with the physics as a whole.. it's a huge step up from FM3, the weight transfer and tendency to swap ends in so many situations or slide/understeer so readily makes the M5/Zonda/Eliminator a challenge to drive fast.. But I do agree that it isn't iRacing vicious and has this wide/explorable progressive limit.. How much is artificial and how much is closer to real life, I don't know yet.

This seems like the most likley reason.

bj00rn_

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Getting tired indeed.

Anyways,

I'm surprised at how good the commentator is!

Yup.. (To the Xanadu stuff..)

Yeah, I didn't notice it was him, thought it was a Forza 4 pro tester or something..

Anyway, absolutely love that video, the changes are both small and huge at the same time. Didn't care too much about the look of the Forza 3 version, but this one looks absolutely superb.

Minimaul

Getting a clean lap in the traffic race(s) is a SOB. Basically you have to do two clean laps in a row. I wish it would only count if you mess up in the last 'section' of the track and then the following lap can be clean - like normal, but it's pretty much a full clean lap. It's pretty frustrating and that's my only real gripe about the demo/game. But, when you DO manage to squeeze between two little cars around a corner barely in control it is an amazingly awesome feeling and ridiculously fun.

op_ivy said:
anyone with a wheel try switching back and forth from the pad? driving with the controller feels FAR more forgiving. are there assists for pad users too? i mean, it would make sense to have it stay playable, but possibly another assist we as users have no control over changing

I tried with pad last night and it's more forgiving but then there's a limitation of using a pad. I am not racing nut, I just like driving, cars and going really fast, and to me the game feel better than F3 (I am sure I said this after Pax). While it's definitely harder with wheel, it's definitely more "fun" to drive with wheel set up.

Anyway, I don't know how some of you get the time you did. I put in my best and I am still good 5-10 secs behind. : /

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Minimaul said:
Getting a clean lap in the traffic race(s) is a SOB. Basically you have to do two clean laps in a row. I wish it would only count if you mess up in the last 'section' of the track and then the following lap can be clean - like normal, but it's pretty much a full clean lap. It's pretty frustrating and that's my only real gripe about the demo/game. But, when you DO manage to squeeze between two little cars around a corner barely in control it is an amazingly awesome feeling and ridiculously fun.

its just the last 3 corners. rewind if you screw up to the hill, finish clean, and the penalty doesnt carry to the next lap.

the traffic mode is fucking awesome. yes, they get in your way, and yes, a great lap has almost as much to do with luck as it does skill - but its damn fun.

antiquegamer said:
I tried with pad last night and it's more forgiving but then there's a limitation of using a pad. I am not racing nut, I just like driving, cars and going really fast, and to me the game feel better than F3 (I am sure I said this after Pax).

Anyway, I don't know how some of you get the time you did. I put in my best and I am still goodl 5 secs behind. : /

yeah, even with a pad there is a noticable difference, but compared to wheel you really dont have to worry about over and understeer nearly as much - the game handles the degree of steering for you in some fashion. again, this is with pad only

Xanadu

Banned
Seanspeed said:

This is what I'm talking about, dude. You might fool some people with your supposedly reasonable stance on the game, but I think you're see-through as hell. You are raising your expectations to an unreasonable degree so you can shit on the physics as soon as you try it or hear somebody else that points out some flaw.
i'm buying the game, why would i buy a game i'm not looking forward to? i know the physics will never be on par with the pc sims but i dont expect that, if what saladine said is true i'll be happy, but they said with simulation steering there would be no more assist, but if they lied i will be dissapointed, and i know you dont like it when that happens lol

saladine1

Man, I can't wait to start upgrading and customizing!
I get a high modifying cars in the virtual world as well as in real life. Clutches, transmissions, cams, heads, forged pistons, wheels, forced induction,springs...etc are like candy for me.
Seeing and feeling the differences after an upgrade is so satisfying. Tuning to get every last bit out of the car is an art form and the icing on the cake.

Hurry up!!

Seanspeed

Banned
Xanadu said:
i'm buying the game, why would i buy a game i'm not looking forward to? i know the physics will never be on par with the pc sims but i dont expect that, if what saladine said is true i'll be happy, but they said with simulation steering there would be no more assist, but if they lied i will be dissapointed, and i know you dont like it when that happens lol
I'm pretty sure I complain about Forza just as much as you. You just seem to enjoy doing it a bit too much to fool anyone. I know you're gonna buy the game and I'm sure you'll have fun with it, but you forever hold GT in higher esteem and you want to make sure that things stay that way. Maybe you dont even realize thats what you're doing and you're actually trying to convince yourself more than you are us, but its incredibly obvious.

p3tran

Banned
Seanspeed said:

its a new game mode. it wouldnt make sense if everybody aced it right away. actaully, that would suck.
I have certified 1.26,0 in the 458 in the traffic challenge and 1,40.x in the M5 one, both top 50 times for sure. And this "nagge" dude ( ;D ) has top 10.
I can very easily register a clean time, round after round. and this with the joypad. and after having played one single day.
luck has no part once you figure out the road, you understand where is your window to pass and where most probably the ai car will go. pushing within those parameters you get better times, clean sheets. plus if you really cant, you can always do the mario bros turtle-flip method we saw in the video above :))))

op_ivy

p3tran said:
its a new game mode. it wouldnt make sense if everybody aced it right away. actaully, that would suck.
I have certified 1.26,0 in the 458 in the traffic challenge and 1,40.x in the M5 one, both top 50 times for sure. And this "nagge" dude ( ;D ) has top 10.
I can very easily wright a clean time, round after round. and this with the joypad. and after having played one single day.
luck has no part once you figure out the road, you understand where is your window to pass and where most probably the ai car will go. pushing within those parameters you get better times, clean sheets. plus if you really cant, you can always do the mario bros turtle method we saw in the video above :))))

i disagree - the ai will some times bunch up in some corners such that there basically is no line around them

Xanadu

Banned
Seanspeed said:
I'm pretty sure I complain about Forza just as much as you. You just seem to enjoy doing it a bit too much to fool anyone. I know you're gonna buy the game and I'm sure you'll have fun with it, but you forever hold GT in higher esteem and you want to make sure that things stay that way. Maybe you dont even realize thats what you're doing and you're actually trying to convince yourself more than you are us, but its incredibly obvious.
i want to make sure things stay that way? lol? i dont even own a PS3, GT5 was a disappointment. i enjoyed forza 1 and 2 much more. whenever i make a positive comment no one cares its just another positive comment, but as soon as i point out flaws its hey xanadu is off again! honestly i'm not going to change my opinions because a few people cant handle criticism of their favourite franchise. put me to ignore if you dont like me its as easy as that

p3tran

Banned
op_ivy said:
i disagree - the ai will some times bunch up in some corners such that there basically is no line around them
thats why I said you figure out the road and your window of opportunity to pass, and anticipate ai moves.
ex. if three cars are fighting for position side by side for the upcoming turn, better slow your pace for a couple of secs, even enter the turn a bit slower for max speed out so as to pass them after they enter it and make up for loss.
for sure, you dont have to ram them :D eventhough if replay was available I would put up some incredibly tight passes between two cars in very-very high speeds.
I like this game mode. its great fun!

guest1321

So in that intro movie did anyone else notice that tire @ :40 ? I was expecting some awesome physics in the tires. I had no idea that it would be this visibly noticeable. SOOO GOOOD!

Edit: Although it has been posted many a time, to make your life easier: Link

Minimaul

op_ivy said:
its just the last 3 corners. rewind if you screw up to the hill, finish clean, and the penalty doesnt carry to the next lap.

Ah. Word. Yeah, guess I wasn't rewinding back far enough and must have kept messing up around the same spot. Good to know.

op_ivy said:
the traffic mode is fucking awesome. yes, they get in your way, and yes, a great lap has almost as much to do with luck as it does skill - but its damn fun.

Hell yeah it is. Such an fun drive.

Seanspeed

Banned
p3tran said:
I can very easily register a clean time, round after round. and this with the joypad. and after having played one single day.
luck has no part once you figure out the road, you understand where is your window to pass and where most probably the ai car will go. pushing within those parameters you get better times, clean sheets. plus if you really cant, you can always do the mario bros turtle-flip method we saw in the video above :))))
Is the traffic random? Like, is it different every time you do it? Or does the game have the exact same cars in the exact same spots doing the exact same thing everytime?

op_ivy

p3tran said:
thats why I said you figure out the road and your window of opportunity to pass, and anticipate ai moves.
ex. if three cars are fighting for position side by side for the upcoming turn, better slow your pace for a couple of secs, even enter the turn a bit slower for max speed out so as to pass them after they enter it and make up for loss.
for sure, you dont have to ram them :D eventhough if replay was available I would put up some incredibly tight passes between two cars in very-very high speeds.
I like this game mode. its great fun!

but if that happens to you, chances are you wont set a WR lap time - hence why luck does play into it at least a bit.

skyfinch

Seanspeed said:
Is the traffic random? Like, is it different every time you do it? Or does the game have the exact same cars in the exact same spots doing the exact same thing everytime?

Seems random to me.

nagge

Seanspeed said:

Yup, can't believe how many times I've cursed at the AI "why the F*** don't you just keep your lines?!" ...only to realise they can't hear me... :/

Traffic is great fun, really keeps you on the edge and having to plan ahead, the ideal line is rarely available.

p3tran

Banned
antiquegamer said:
Anyway, I don't know how some of you get the time you did. I put in my best and I am still good 5-10 secs behind. : /
push more!! feel the road!! feel the car! they are wispering to you!!

Seanspeed said:
the traffic seems random. there are specific random cars per challenge (lambos etc on the 458 challenge, shitboxes on the M5 challenge), but its not fixed what they do.
thats why some people complained yesterday that when chasing after a rival, he could hide the shitbox in front of him and pass right through it (being a ghost and all), setting you up for a nice surprise. but, there is a learning curve as I said before. a fucking exhilarating and enjoyable curve.

op_ivy said:
but if that happens to you, chances are you wont set a WR lap time - hence why luck does play into it at least a bit.
ok, I wont disagree, maybe your are not up for a WR in THAT lap ;) other times you can have a full lap that is relatively very-very easy on traffic though, so it offsets itself. but hey, for WR you do need luck on your side anyways 8)

ps. nagge, you on wheel or pad?

Luck does play a bit of a role, but getting a lap where luck and talent intersect is the challenge.

My take on it is this; these are the rules the game has set. You can choose to play by them, or you don't have to. The game accommodates both. If you think the rules are junk, then it let's you compete against like minded people (the !s).

For me personally, the minute I get a whiff of BS times being posted as legit, I lose all faith and interest in the leaderboard. Yeah, the penalties are harsh, but importantly they're consistent. Too harsh is better than too lenient.

op_ivy

nagge said:
Yup, can't believe how many times I've cursed at the AI "why the F*** don't you just keep your lines?!" ...only to realise they can't hear me... :/

Traffic is great fun, really keeps you on the edge and having to plan ahead, the ideal line is rarely available.

hoping it will train people to avoid collisions when racing online...

... yeah right!

Top Bottom