• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Minimaul

p3tran said:
but its not fixed what they do.
thats why some people complained yesterday that when chasing after a rival, he could hide the shitbox in front of him and pass right through it (being a ghost and all), setting you up for a nice surprise.

This happened to me. But yeah, it does feel random or at least not scripted like the GT5 races/licenses. Definitely takes some getting used to but it's super fun for sure.

p3tran

Banned
op_ivy said:
hoping it will train people to avoid collisions when racing online...

... yeah right!
or maybe keep collision people happy, giving them a special mode etc ;) I imagine that for the flipped cars video to happen, a lot of wrong direction driving was invlolved :)))))

Nothing beats watching the door close, and that gap shrinking as you approach at a huge speed differential. I shot some unbelievable gaps on my 458 run. Incredibly thrilling!

nagge

p3tran said:
ps. nagge, you on wheel or pad?

ms wheel, waiting for my CSR.

BCD2 said:
Nothing beats watching the door close, and that gap shrinking as you approach at a huge speed differential. I shot some unbelievable gaps on my 458 run. Incredibly thrilling!

Or seeing two cars tailing each other, just to see on of them pull out and block the road just when you are about to make a pass.

Snubbers

nagge said:
Or seeing two cars tailing each other, just to see on of them pull out and block the road just when you are about to make a pass.

Absolutely, especially on the 458, they occasionally get squirrely whilst overtaking, there is no way you can guess which effing way to go..

p3tran

Banned
nagge said:

you too fast son! sure you are not cheating?? ;)))
will put my wheel to use sometime in the week. I'll see how closer I can get with joypad until then.

skyfinch said:
Let's have a kinect driving battle. I bet I'll be top on the leaderboards, since I'm agile and have great form.

And ABS. And probably all other aids on.;)

Seriously, we can't even force off aids for anyone we are driving against in those challenges? It's a bit lopsided when everybody can just cheat their way through it.

guest1321 said:
So in that intro movie did anyone else notice that tire @ :40 ? I was expecting some awesome physics in the tires. I had no idea that it would be this visibly noticeable. SOOO GOOOD!

Edit: Although it has been posted many a time, to make your life easier: Link
Forza 3 was the game to introduce tyre flexing.

p3tran

Banned
mclaren777 said:
What does this statement mean?

"Only for testing, not possible in regular Download Version!"
means that somehow he changes some bytes and has access to where we dont, like top gear space and cars, stuff that is included on the demo d/l but not accessible normaly

I think the AI cars are stored in the demo to their full, this guy is changing some code or bytes to force it to replace the demo cars.

nagge

Isn't it more likely that he just has a green disc or a retail copy? Seems odd having the top gear homespace in the demo when it's not being used.

Xanadu

Banned
nagge said:
Isn't it more likely that he just has a green disc or a retail copy? Seems odd having the top gear homespace in the demo when it's not being used.
it says he has the demo, and if he had the full game i'm sure he'd choose a different track

nagge

Xanadu said:
it says he has the demo, and if he had the full game i'm sure he'd choose a different track

That's the genius, he looks like a hacker without having to actually hack ;)
Just seems strange having unused assets in the demo.

mclaren777

SPEEDxNASTY said:
Who painted the awesome Chun-Li vinyl/livery during the pre-FM3 launch? Needs to be redone!!! (>_<)

jackie-chun-li.png
That looks like Jackie Chan. Are you sure it's a woman?

adelante

skyfinch said:
Wow, kick ass designs, Jube and m0dus. I'm so used to using my tablet and don't have the patience to create anything using a controller. Have a lot of respect for the artists who create liveries in FM.
Another tablet user here and I feel the same way...my mind's fatigued just thinking about the one and only livery design I did in Forza3 (TV's Chuck).

skyfinch said:
And someone with too much time on their hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF4yRlLC4-o
I can attest to this (by the time I was done doing laps in the Zonda last night it was past 3am and thought I had it in me to do a few more with the M5 but alas I did this instead lol)

25k3ltf.jpg

And to those wondering if you can just "blitz" through the course with no traffic, no worries cos after some distance those cars spawn back.

Seanspeed

Banned
nagge said:
Yup, can't believe how many times I've cursed at the AI "why the F*** don't you just keep your lines?!" ...only to realise they can't hear me... :/

Traffic is great fun, really keeps you on the edge and having to plan ahead, the ideal line is rarely available.
Thats a good thing in my book. I dont want to beat a challenge by mere memorization of the AI's programming.

But it does support the notion that luck is quite involved in setting a good leaderboard rank.

Reminds me a bit of acheivements in games. I think people are silly to work relentlessly for something thats luck/time-based rather than skill-based unless you're rewarded with something tangible in-game.

nagge

Seanspeed said:
Thats a good thing in my book. I dont want to beat a challenge by mere memorization of the AI's programming.
Completely agree, it is ever so frustrating though when going for a good lap time :)

adelante: Very impressive, haha.

ShapeGSX

PjotrStroganov said:
And ABS. And probably all other aids on.;)

Seriously, we can't even force off aids for anyone we are driving against in those challenges? It's a bit lopsided when everybody can just cheat their way through it.

The aids only make you slower.

Aurarian

Hey guys, this may not be the thread but I'm getting Forza 4 from Amazon, thing is that I won't have the money on the 11th but I will on the 13th. Amazon only charges when they ship the item right? Or would they charge me on the 11th?

Seanspeed

Banned
Aurarian said:
Hey guys, this may not be the thread but I'm getting Forza 4 from Amazon, thing is that I won't have the money on the 11th but I will on the 13th. Amazon only charges when they ship the item right? Or would they charge me on the 11th?
Pretty sure Amazon charges you as soon as you order the item. Could be wrong....

Mascot

nagge said:

Fuck, I hope you hate it and it makes you slower... ;)

You are in league with the devil to post those superhuman times, son. Does life just happen in slow motion for you, Matrix-style?

Seriously serious lap times, dude. Kudos!

dejay

Banned
You can apparently download the demo hack if you have a modded 360 to unlock those extra cars.

Seanspeed said:

But it does support the notion that luck is quite involved in setting a good leaderboard rank.

Reminds me a bit of acheivements in games. I think people are silly to work relentlessly for something thats luck/time-based rather than skill-based unless you're rewarded with something tangible in-game.

I agree with the frustration, but I'm crap at the trafficless runs too, so I can't hide behind that!

As people have said, that's the race mode - you can choose not to play it with traffic. I found it fun in the M5 but annoying in the 458, so it might be worth investigating with different vehicles in the full game. Really I prefer to play against cars going at a similar speed but I'm glad there's some variety there.

Anyway, time to go try it with a hangover. I'm sure I'll be brilliant!

Demo is awesome.

Even with the standard "assisted" steering, I get a LOT more feedback from the car than I did in 3. I'm playing with the controller, and a car like the 458 no longer understeers everywhere. You can expect the back to start coming out if you give it a lot of throttle with no TC/stability assists.

Now I really cannot wait for the retail game to come out!

eek5

nagge said:
Yup, can't believe how many times I've cursed at the AI "why the F*** don't you just keep your lines?!" ...only to realise they can't hear me... :/

Traffic is great fun, really keeps you on the edge and having to plan ahead, the ideal line is rarely available.
Oh man I was barreling down one of the last straights in the BMW earlier with my fastest split of the session and there were thee AI cars triple wide....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Hawk269

Hey guys, since at my home it is too much of a pain in the ass to pull out my MS wheel and Footpedals, I decided I am going to sell my MS Wheel. If anyone is interested PM me.

Also, this wheel has the bearing mod done to it as well and works much better than a standard MS racing wheel.

I am in the U.S., so prefer to sell to someone here since shipping will be outrageous outside of the u.s.

Hawk269 said:
Hey guys, since at my home it is too much of a pain in the ass to pull out my MS wheel and Footpedals, I decided I am going to sell my MS Wheel. If anyone is interested PM me.

Also, this wheel has the bearing mod done to it as well and works much better than a standard MS racing wheel.

I am in the U.S., so prefer to sell to someone here since shipping will be outrageous outside of the u.s.

I sent you a PM.

eso76

p3tran said:
thats why some people complained yesterday that when chasing after a rival, he could hide the shitbox in front of him and pass right through it (being a ghost and all), setting you up for a nice surprise. but, there is a learning curve as I said before. a fucking exhilarating and enjoyable curve.

maybe they should have thought of an option to hide the ghost when there's traffic; seeing rivals' driving lines is rather pointless in this mode anyway, since you'll see them dodging traffic that isn't there in your lap.

Unfortunately i unexpectedly had to leave for the weekend and i could only put a few hours in this demo, but i am loving everything about fm4 and i can't wait to play the full game.
Graphics, sound, physics, ai, game modes and community features are a huge improvement over fm3 and i am happy T10 used their time to perfect core aspects of the game instead of ticking boxes with bullet points they could use on the box. The fact there's still some steering assist is rather puzzling but i think handling is perfect the way it is, the feeling with different cars is amazing with a Fanatec and cars' behavior is, i think, more coherent and consistent than in other games; slightly more forgiving but ultimately more satisfying imho.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
eso76 said:
maybe they should have thought of an option to hide the ghost when there's traffic; seeing rivals' driving lines is rather pointless in this mode anyway, since you'll see them dodging traffic that isn't there in your lap.

Unfortunately i unexpectedly had to leave for the weekend and i could only put a few hours in this demo, but i am loving everything about fm4 and i can't wait to play the full game.
Graphics, sound, physics, ai, game modes and community features are a huge improvement over fm3 and i am happy T10 used their time to perfect core aspects of the game instead of ticking boxes with bullet points they could use on the box. The fact there's still some steering assist is rather puzzling but i think handling is perfect the way it is, the feeling with different cars is amazing with a Fanatec and cars' behavior is, i think, more coherent and consistent than in other games; slightly more forgiving but ultimately more satisfying imho.

reposting - just select a new rival and pick a sloooooooow person from the leaderboard and their ghost will never be an issue

eek5

op_ivy said:
reposting - just select a new rival and pick a sloooooooow person from the leaderboard and their ghost will never be an issue
In the full game you get XP/credits based on your opponent's position on the leaderboard relative to yours though, don't you?

op_ivy

eek5 said:
In the full game you get XP/credits based on your opponent's position on the leaderboard relative to yours though, don't you?

i'm sure the full game you can turn the ghost off - the demo is just barren as far as options go

Hawk269

Can anyone with the game comment on the time of day settings for Sedona Raceway? I was just playing F3 and remembered how much I display the time of day they used on it.

Thanks!

Shaneus

One option I would love to see: If there is a way to maybe wireframe or flat-shade cars in the mirrors to get 60fps out of them. Hope they find a way to reach that goal.

op_ivy

Shaneus said:
One option I would love to see: If there is a way to maybe wireframe or flat-shade cars in the mirrors to get 60fps out of them. Hope they find a way to reach that goal.

it is a little distracting, but i wouldnt hold my breath for a change

Top Bottom