• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

I think I know why in forza 2 and 3 the NY long was not included, xbox live kids + 90degree corners = tears

Why do you think they added in that pointless drag mode? :p

Diablohead said:
I think I know why in forza 2 and 3 the NY long was not included, xbox live kids + 90degree corners = tears

Why do you think they added in that pointless drag mode? :p
They should just take PGR 4 NY :)

amar212

soundscream said:
They should just take PGR 4 NY :)

I still feel unthinkable sadness every time I remember how all those assets for all PGR games - terabytes of data and hundreds of thousands man hours - are now wasted and collecting dust somewhere.

London
New York
San Francisco
Tokyo
Barcelona
Chicago
Edinburgh
Florence
Hong Kong
Moscow
Stockholm
Sydney
Washington
Yokohama
Long Beach
Paris
Las Vegas
Shanghai
St. Petersburg
Quebec City
Macau

My God, when listed in one single place it becomes a drama.

Someone should really find a way to resurrect those locations and tracks, give them a proper HD treatment, give us just 10 cars to race on (ones that do not need heavy licensing) and wheel support.

I would gladly pay 100 moneys for some Project Gotham World title, where all tracks and cities would be combined. So much sadness.

Xun

amar212 said:
I still feel unthinkable sadness every time I remember how all those assets for all PGR games - terabytes of data and hundreds of thousands man hours - are now wasted and collecting dust somewhere.

London
New York
San Francisco
Tokyo
Barcelona
Chicago
Edinburgh
Florence
Hong Kong
Moscow
Stockholm
Sydney
Washington
Yokohama
Long Beach
Paris
Las Vegas
Shanghai
St. Petersburg
Quebec City
Macau

My God, when listed in one single place it becomes a drama.

Someone should really find a way to resurrect those locations and tracks, give them a proper HD treatment, give us just 10 cars to race on (ones that do not need heavy licensing) and wheel support.

I would gladly pay 100 moneys for some Project Gotham World title, where all tracks and cities would be combined. So much sadness.
Speaking of PGR I was just playing the 4th one a few minutes ago.

Such an impressive game. :(

saladine1

A car is a big metal box which meets the road in just four tiny places, so Forza's new handling model emphasises those rubbery points above everything. Turn 10's new partnership with Pirelli has given the studio a mountain of data on modern and vintage tyres, and the result is a sense of car-on-track contact like no other game.

Forza 4's cars really handle like cars, with every scrap of your real-world driving skill directly transferable to the game. Classic cars wear classic tyres, and new suspension modelling makes the feeling of contact even more tangible.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/316110/previews/forza-4-future-proofing-the-series/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Nothing really new, but he/she sounds excited enough..

eek5 said:
I wonder who owns/has all those assets. Microsoft owns the IP right?

Microsoft owns them all. I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd faint if Forza folded several of those locations/tracks into the series. The layouts are just terrific and I can't imagine (naively) it would take that much work.

FunnyBunny said:
Microsoft owns them all. I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd faint if Forza folded several of those locations/tracks into the series. The layouts are just terrific and I can't imagine (naively) it would take that much work.
I don't know if I'd be happy to include the work from others in my project. Might be a moral/pride thing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
amar212 said:

i could be wrong, but i dont think anything but the research (and photographs/video) would be useful to any other studio and the majority of assets would likely have to be created from scratch anyways

Marco1

Maybe they will use them in forza 5 for the nextxbox so they could run the extra data at 60FPS.
Those city textures were gorgeous.

Broman1978

Xun said:
Speaking of PGR I was just playing the 4th one a few minutes ago.

Such an impressive game. :(

Just because you wrote that I too had too play PGR4... STILL it looks fantastic with great lighting and environments... :´D

Ravenn17 said:
So is this wheel base 360 compatible? I thought it was, but he never mentioned it during the video.

I believe so. I recall seeing something on Inside Sim Racing about it around the e3 time frame.

Edit:
drugstore_cowboy said:
That one is PC/PS3 only, the CSR Elite is Xbox/PC/PS3 compatible, has the same base but no quick release mechanism, there's no swapping out the wheel at all.

I stand corrected.

Arucardo

If the mad catz ffb wheel is reasonably priced I might consider it. Might even get the microsoft wireless wheel again if I can find one for cheap, sold mine for twice what I paid for it and bought a G25 ;) .

Mascot

After the updates to Road America and the inclusion of new roadside details:

SS.jpg

TheOddOne

sneaky77 said:
Wasn't Turn 10 working on a new PGR?
At one point I really thought they where going to make the new PGR (their own twitter page says "and other fine video games"), but now I'm not so sure.

TheOddOne said:
At one point I really thought they where going to make the new PGR (their own twitter page says "and other fine video games"), but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe a pgr 5 for next year or as one of the last exclusive titles for 360.
So they can spend a small portion of the team research next gen tech for Forza 5 as second year next xbox game.

TheOddOne

dragonelite said:
Maybe a pgr 5 for next year or as one of the last exclusive titles for 360.
So they can spend a small portion of the team research next gen tech for Forza 5 as second year next xbox game.
Its would really suprise me if T10 did PGR next, but then again the Forza brand has been given over to Playground Games for Forza World. Who knows, maby sneak attack at next years E3 or launch title for 720.

Mascot

NullPointer said:
That's Jaggystone.

All the Forza 4 footage I've seen looks absolutely fantastic. Is it the replay mode removing most of the jaggies?

This is a camera phone photo I took of the new pit and paddock complex this morning, it's not an FM4 pic. My point was: is Silverstone going to get the same love and attention to detail that Road America seems to have received? It would be very remiss of Turn 10 if it didn't.

Xun

Mascot said:
This is a camera phone photo I took of the new pit and paddock complex this morning, it's not an FM4 pic. My point was: is Silverstone going to get the same love and attention to detail that Road America seems to have received? It would be very remiss of Turn 10 if it didn't.
I'm pretty damn sure it will.

Lingitiz

TheOddOne said:
Its would really suprise me if T10 did PGR next, but then again the Forza brand has been given over to Playground Games for Forza World. Who knows, maby sneak attack at next years E3 or launch title for 720.
Do we actually know anything about Forza World or Playground? It would be nice to see a different take on the Forza brand, and even better to see the talent at Turn10 go full arcade with PGR.

Xun said:
I'm pretty damn sure it will.
Anything that can make Silverstone look interesting is good in my book. Its the epitome of visually unappealing circuit tracks. Throw in the overcast weather and it feels like some kind of petrolhead purgatory.

But if they can clean up the jaggies and apply some of their fancy new lighting magic I'm game ;P

I had a lot of small issues with Forza 3 that kept me from truly loving it. But everything I've seen of Forza 4 is washing those concerns away. Keep it up Turn 10! Your hard work is paying dividends.

mclaren777

Slackbladder said:
Yes, but it was the old Silverstone before the new track layout. That pic also shows the new Silverstone pit too. So I guess it's bang up to date.
Bummer. :(

Without Bridge, that track just isn't the same.

eso76

Lingitiz said:
Do we actually know anything about Forza World or Playground? It would be nice to see a different take on the Forza brand, and even better to see the talent at Turn10 go full arcade with PGR.

why would T10 put Forza 5 on hold for Pgr ? Forza is a much stronger brand than PGR right now.
Plus, a lot of stuff in fm3 and 4 was tailored for next gen standards (car models especially). T10 has been working in perspective, most assets for fm3 and 4 were made next gen ready, and they could have a fabulous looking fm4.5 ready for xbox720's launch by simply using high lod models ingame and rendering in 1080p+AA.

Lingitiz

eso76 said:
why would T10 put Forza 5 on hold for Pgr ? Forza is a much stronger brand than PGR right now.
Plus, a lot of stuff in fm3 and 4 was tailored for next gen standards (car models especially). T10 has been working in perspective, most assets for fm3 and 4 were made next gen ready, and they could have a fabulous looking fm4.5 ready for xbox720's launch by simply using high lod models ingame and rendering in 1080p+AA.
Sales wise yes, it makes sense to continue on with Forza 5. On a personal level I can see myself being a bit burnt out on the series after Forza 4. Who wouldn't want to see Turn10 try something different?

Xun

NullPointer said:
Anything that can make Silverstone look interesting is good in my book. Its the epitome of visually unappealing circuit tracks. Throw in the overcast weather and it feels like some kind of petrolhead purgatory.

But if they can clean up the jaggies and apply some of their fancy new lighting magic I'm game ;P

I had a lot of small issues with Forza 3 that kept me from truly loving it. But everything I've seen of Forza 4 is washing those concerns away. Keep it up Turn 10! Your hard work is paying dividends.
That's a cellphone picture man.

I'm sure it'll look good.

eso76

Lingitiz said:
Sales wise yes, it makes sense to continue on with Forza 5. On a personal level I can see myself being a bit burnt out on the series after Forza 4. Who wouldn't want to see Turn10 try something different?

unfortunately, being the massive graphic whore i am, i would be there day 1 on such forza 4.5 on xbox720.
Hopefully, T10 has ambitions and they'll want to include rally, night, weather in fm5.
As well as working towards making all models autovista ready, and also using those ingame, thus allowing pieces to come off and reveal engines and interiors.

Also, what i'd really like in next forzas would be full interactivity with dashboards and the ability to play with all the buttons found on todays cars; like switching to race or sport mode on a ferrari, and such stuff.

Anything that can make Silverstone look interesting is good in my book

well, i think silverstone is the track with the most realistic lighting and reflections in fm3.
Dull. But realistic.

Ty4on

Xun said:
That's a cellphone picture man.

I'm sure it'll look good.
I could be totally wrong, but isn't that what happens when high res pictures are downscaled badly? Have seen a lot of thumbnails/smaller pictures look like that while the full version was free from jaggies and in a much higher resolution.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mascot said:
I'd bet money they haven't. It involves more than just updating the buildings and scenery. The layout itself has changed.

I'm surprised they even bothered with Road America. I personally dont care what it says on the bridge arch.

TheOddOne said:
Come to think of it, every XBOX has launched with Project Gotham Racing.

eso76

Seanspeed said:
I'd bet money they haven't. It involves more than just updating the buildings and scenery. The layout itself has changed.

I'm surprised they even bothered with Road America. I personally dont care what it says on the bridge arch.

in RA they just swapped a few textures (i think) so it's an entirely different thing.
I personally don't think they should bother when it means modeling new paddocks and part of the layout; the time it requires would be better spent on other stuff/tracks.

I'm surprised Camino seems to have changed this much, actually. I like the change (as far as i can tell from those few frames) but i can't help thinking the time they spent updating the scenery could have been used to model a couple more tracks in the same environment.
Camino looked plenty good already anyway.

Unless with fm4 they're trying to even the inconsistencies fm3 suffered from, therefore using their time to update every track instead of just porting the old ones as they are, which would explain the relatively low number of new locales compared to fm3

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm a sucker for PGR talk. It's my favourite racing franchise ever.

Whenever PGR5 is mentioned I go into WANT WANT WANT mode, then nostalgia mode, then realization mode, then hope mode, then sadness mode at the possibilities of PGR5.

I don't think it'd be the same without Bizarre's physics.

supersaw

flyinpiranha said:
Honestly, all I hope for is better wheel support.

Hear, hear. I hope that it's not some limitation of the xbox or something, the force feedback feels kind of muted and I have to add deadzone on the GT2 to make it playable.

Shaneus

enzo_gt said:
I'm a sucker for PGR talk. It's my favourite racing franchise ever.

Whenever PGR5 is mentioned I go into WANT WANT WANT mode, then nostalgia mode, then realization mode, then hope mode, then sadness mode at the possibilities of PGR5.

I don't think it'd be the same without Bizarre's physics.
High five. My favourite driving model in any game to date (by far) is PGR4. Might be more realistic in others, but it's more fun in Bizarre's last effort.

LeBoef

eso76 said:
I'm surprised Camino seems to have changed this much, actually. I like the change (as far as i can tell from those few frames) but i can't help thinking the time they spent updating the scenery could have been used to model a couple more tracks in the same environment.
Camino looked plenty good already anyway.

urm... where did you see camino?

G Rom

We already know that Silverstone won't be updated, just like Suzuka. The only thing I'd want from the new Silverstone is the pit wing anyway, the new layout with the new starting line is just terrible, they managed to butcher yet another one of the greatest track in the world...

Top Bottom