• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

21:9 isnt a selectable ratio so you have to use "Native" instead. Menus will still be 16:9 but when you get into the race it will be ultra wide.

Ugh.... again. Really hope this doesn't turn out to be like Horizon. Spent more time trying to get smooth performance than actually playing the game before giving up.

Hahahaha i know the feeling, but no, it works better out of the box. You can avoid to disable Core 0, i've played alot without disabling it. But seems that for some it helps.

Luckydog

The full game will be the same way, past games forced you to finish the first race before changing settings though. Don't know why they can't just use a profile from previous games for those that have played them.

Instead of baby assists, I wish they had a school you had to pass first to play online.

I've seen a lot of people upset about having to do the first race with tons of assists. Its annoying but is it really a big deal? For someone with the skill to race without them, it will take a minute or two and done. For a game you will generally spend a ton of time with, I just can't get all broken up over what is essentially a teaser trailer to go fast and get people excited...but to each their own.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Of course, when all is working pc is superior. But to say only Win store games are broken on PC is wrong. Lots of games are broken on PC at launch or PC and console. AC: Unity and No Man Sky are examples of games that were broken on both, although my personal experience is it was worse on PC. It is just not a win store or UWP thing.

Almost all games that are/were "broken" on PC are/were still better on PC that on the best console version. Including NMS and AC Unity.

xrnzaaas

I've seen a lot of people upset about having to do the first race with tons of assists. Its annoying but is it really a big deal? For someone with the skill to race without them, it will take a minute or two and done. For a game you will generally spend a ton of time with, I just can't get all broken up over what is essentially a teaser trailer to go fast and get people excited...but to each their own.

Big deal? No. Annoying? Hell yes. All Forza games quite extensively track your progress (also via Forza Hub) and give you rewards depending on which tier you're on, but somehow that can't translate to how many assists are on when you first start a new game.

Or even if you're offline is it that hard to allow to skip the tutorial or display a window asking if you're a Forza pro?

Luckydog

Almost all games that are/were "broken" on PC are/were still better on PC that on the best console version. Including NMS and AC Unity.

Only in the best case scenario of everything working perfectly. In many cases it doesn't. But its not worth it to argue. I'm generally a console gamer outside of strat and sim games and these old tired arguments are not going to change that. Either way, the question wasn't if PC or console is better. The statement was that generally only Win store games on PC are broken. The is not correct.

Now if one wants to say statistically, more win store games start broken than say steam games, then you would probably have an argument.

Didn't we recently have a thread where a dev said statistics show that 90% (or some high number) of players won't try a 2nd multiplayer game if they don't get a kill in the first one?

Stats like these are why all the assists are turned on at the onset of the game/demo. The uninitiated want to win and the devs have it on easy mode for that reason. If they don't win they may not play again.

Season players will know what to change to suit their taste. To be bitching about the assist being on by default is just being ridiculous for ridiculous sake.

A lot of you gamers are so fucking entitled. I swear.

Luckydog

Big deal? No. Annoying? Hell yes. All Forza games quite extensively track your progress (also via Forza Hub) and give you rewards depending on which tier you're on, but somehow that can't translate to how many assists are on when you first start a new game.

Or even if you're offline is it that hard to allow to skip the tutorial or display a window asking if you're a Forza pro?

It should not be that hard to set to skip. Feels like this is more in line with Turn10 wanting to control the "first taste" for the vast majority of their audience that probably likes it. For the vocal minority it is a minor annoyance. And given the relatively small sales size of Forza games, ANY dev time spent on it, even if it cost $1, would be money out of their pocket with no benefit. Anyone who says they wont buy the game due to a 1-3 minute showpiece race once in the beginning was never buying anyway.

MaLDo

Didn't we recently have a thread where a dev said statistics show that 90% (or some high number) of players won't try a 2nd multiplayer game if they don't get a kill in the first one?

Stats like these are why all the assists are turned on at the onset of the game/demo. The uninitiated want to win and the devs have it on easy mode for that reason. If they don't win they may not play again.

Season players will know what to change to suit their taste. To be bitching about the assist being on by default is just being ridiculous for ridiculous sake.

A lot of you gamers are so fucking entitled. I swear.

Start demo with assists off. If the player crash more than 3 times or is in the last position after the first minute, splash screen asking if he wants to restart the race with assists and to inform him that those assists are configurable in the menu. Player can cancel the message.

Profit.

In a world where everything is logged and every little achievement of the player is published, they forget about important things.

Reading the comments here. Is there seriously so few people play the demo on Xbox One? It seems like most of you play it on PC. Or are Xbox One players don’t come to Neogaf anymore?

Luckydog

No, it wasn't.

There's no only here.

If you cant put the tone of the statement together then nothing I say will change that. The perception from the statement Win store games are broken, and the state of PC gaming as a whole is they are not.

This is not the case. Feel free to parse at a fine level others statement, I wont spend the time on it.

Luckydog

I don't think anybody said that. They said its annoying. I'll add 'patronising' too.

It's not a deal breaker.

Agreed, no one has said that. I think the bigger issue is the other part of my statement is that any minute that is spent developing a workaround is dollars they will never make back. Shouldn't be hard to and by now they should have found time over multiple revisions to squeeze it in.

Mascot

Agreed, no one has said that. I think the bigger issue is the second half of my statement is that any minute that is spent developing a workaround is dollars they will never make back. Shouldn't be hard to and by now they should have found time over multiple revisions to squeeze it in.
But they spent resources coding that unskippable all-assists race to begin with. Why not let seasoned players skip the hand-holding if they want to?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Only in the best case scenario of everything working perfectly. In many cases it doesn't. But its not worth it to argue. I'm generally a console gamer outside of strat and sim games and these old tired arguments are not going to change that. Either way, the question wasn't if PC or console is better. The statement was that generally only Win store games on PC are broken. The is not correct.

Now if one wants to say statistically, more win store games start broken than say steam games, then you would probably have an argument.

I had zero problems with the UWP games i played (KI and Apex) and i already had zero problems downloading this demo, but have yet to play. So the statement that UWP games are broken still doesn't apply to me. Maybe my PC does magic or some people have some messed up things on their Windows/hardware.

Luckydog

But they spent resources coding that unskippable all-assists race to begin with. Why not let seasoned players skip the hand-holding if they want to?

Don't disagree. I have to believe they would have found some spare cycles over the course of multiple games to code it in. The only thing I can reasonably think of is they want a "controlled" first experience regardless of player level.

ghibli99

Start demo with assists off. If the player crash more than 3 times or is in the last position after the first minute, splash screen asking if he wants to restart the race with assists and to inform him that those assists are configurable in the menu. Player can cancel the message.

Profit.

In a world where everything is logged and every little achievement of the player is published, they forget about important things.
That'd be the worst system for a game like this. So few people are used to driving cars with modern assists turned off, and it would be interpreted by most as having "bad controls". Turning on the training wheels later vs. turning them off when you're ready also has a negative psychological impact... it's like games that offer up "easy mode" when it interprets the player as not doing well. How demoralizing.

Luckydog

I had zero problems with the UWP games i played (KI and Apex) and i already had zero problems downloading this demo, but have yet to play. So the statement that UWP games are broken still doesn't apply to me. Maybe my PC does magic or some people have some messed up things on their Windows/hardware.

I have not had issues either, but its probably not fair to say my one of example is indicative of everyone.

The game runs great on my rig (i5 4690k, 1080, 16GB ram), solid 4k/60 experience with everything maxed out, the only problem is that the racetrack intro and menu videos stutter (like really bad), the race itself is totally fine.

This reminds me of the same stutter I had in Forza Horizon 3 while browsing rims (or any other visual upgrade).

Not a fan of how that Porsche handles, feels like it is a little overweight. Game looks good, though. Still don't know If I am going to buy it on release.

TheRed

On the preorder screen at the end it looks like buying this comes with FH3. That's not true is it? It's just the way they chose to say all these dlcs are the same format for both games?

Only in the best case scenario of everything working perfectly.

This is objectively false. It doesnt matter which platform you play on, which you prefer etc but this is just false. Dark souls 1 has been objectively the worst pc port which I have ever played, it was locked at 720P@30FPS and it was still superior version and ran better on a toaster than its console counterparts. The idea that pc version is the superior version only in the "best case scenario" is living in a land of dreams. If you have a gtx 1060 (or equilevant) and pretty much any i3 you can find on the market, you are going to be playing the superior version on your pc. As long as the game boots, its better.

Now that being said the game was pretty good. Really liked the gameplay and customizability (is that a word?) and it worked great with everything cranked to the max at 1440P (2xmsaa) and framerate never dropped below 72 (gtx1080 7700k)... Which is why im wondering is the game capped at 72 fps? I didnt see any "disable vsync" setting. Only the one which had "dynamic", 30 and 60 etc.

Fox Mulder

Reading the comments here. Is there seriously so few people play the demo on Xbox One? It seems like most of you play it on PC. Or are Xbox One players don’t come to Neogaf anymore?

I'm on Xbox, but not going to get this until the X release. It's more Forza, of course the PC crowd is larger and more interested for their first entry really.

Sygma

Stuttering mess on my pc (gtx 1080 - i7 4790k - 16 gb ddr 3 and samsung 850 EVO) both in menus and in game. Can't reach 60 fps in 4k either

Something very wrong. 3770k @ 4.2, 1080ti. 4k@60 smooth as butter. No messing with CPU cores or anything.

Apex is a stuttery mess on mine, but this is fine.

Sygma

Well I have about zero issues with Horizon 3 maxed out in 4k, its always running at minimum 60 fps. Same for a lot of other recent games, and usually reaching 50 fps maxed out in Witcher 3 so ... yeah

Ok. So way round the crash is to start fully windowed and let the game go fullscreen. Silly problem to have and why does it affect some and not others? Will give impressions later.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I went with 2160p first off with MSAAX8, have tried all kinds of settings.
fP4c.jpg

Game fluctuates rapidly. Here all the cars have gone and it's still going from 33ms up to 100ms. This is with the CPU affinity set as well. Without it my CPU looks like yours maxed out on one core. Either way though the stutter is the same.

What I have noticed is when the game launches in window mode is seems smooth and good frametime and such (I know desktop will shift to 60hz), soon as I go full screen all hell breaks loose. The menus and the game are spiking like crazy.

It's not a good sign with your CPU that one core is still maxed out after all the shit with FH3 over 30fps. Even people with the latest CPUs at the time and DDR4 clocked to 3000mhz had sutters over 30fps. That one core pegged to max is the same we had in FH3.

You clearly have at least dynamic geometry turned on (look at the exhaust scapes). Try setting up everything to max

Gestault

Game started up and ran damn near flawlessly on max settings on my PC test. Automatically matched the aspect ratio of my livingroom monitor (it's an earlier 16:10), and the stress-test benchark returned an average of 59.7 fps. It automatically set 4K for my resolution, though I'll probably scale it back to 1440p just because.

So far so good, but I haven't been able to play all three scenarios on PC yet.

Left the house and the windows store had downloaded 8gb, come home 2 hours later and it says it has downloaded 5gb total, same issues I had with FH3.

Going to take days to install when it releases.

HeliosT10

For those experiencing crashes and poor performance please note the below from our known issues thread on the FM.net forums:

Players who are running MSI Afterburner may experience crashes and poor performance when trying to play the demo. While we investigate this, we suggest fully closing MSI Afterburner while you play the demo.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...a-Motorsport-7-Demo-FAQ-and-Known-Issues.aspx

Hopefully this helps some of you out as I know it's a popular program used by many here.

Gestault

For those experiencing crashes and poor performance please note the below from our known issues thread on the FM.net forums:

Players who are running MSI Afterburner may experience crashes and poor performance when trying to play the demo. While we investigate this, we suggest fully closing MSI Afterburner while you play the demo.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...a-Motorsport-7-Demo-FAQ-and-Known-Issues.aspx

Hopefully this helps some of you out as I know it's a popular program used by many here.

Thanks for trying to follow up with people, Helios.

This is less of a technical question, but have you heard any of the complaints with the handling on the Porsche section of the demo? Does that handle as intended, or may there be something causing problems particular to this demo? The handling felt strange to me, and I've run into similar reactions from a handful of other people.

HeliosT10

Thanks for trying to follow up with people, Helios.

This is less of a technical question, but have you heard any of the complaints with the handling on the Porsche section of the demo? Does that handle as intended, or may there be something causing problems particular to this demo? The handling felt strange to me, and I've run into similar reactions from a handful of other people.

At the moment we're collating all the various feedback people are posting about the demo. Those comments will certainly be passed on.

How do you personally think it is strange? Are you playing on a pad or wheel?

With regards FFB on wheels we've got one of our devs currently interacting with the community in the below thread to root out some of the current issues people might be experiencing.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...FB--is-it-fixed--UP--Nope--Still-Broke.aspx?=

At the moment we're collating all the various feedback people are posting about the demo. Those comments will certainly be passed on.

With regards FFB on wheels we've got one of our devs currently interacting with the community in the below thread to root out some of the current issues people might be experiencing.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...FB--is-it-fixed--UP--Nope--Still-Broke.aspx?=

The default settings were kinda awful. Like everything was turned up to the max.

Vossler

i76700k, 16gc ddr4, gtx 1080ti - everything set to Max - no dynamic rendering....at 4k60fps no problems at all (using DSR) and MSI Afterburner. Still on the fence as to whether to get this or PC2. Seems like the AA isnt implemented right, seems a bit jaggy at times.

Gestault

I'm using both the standard XB1 controller and a G920 wheel, but I have more time via the controller. I'd describe it as pronounced understeer, and a feeling of weight for the vehicle that drags it wide while turning, and in general it loses grip on the road surface at speeds/turn angles where I wouldn't expect it. I have more luck with TCS off, because at least there I can use a coarse wheel spin to correct the start of a spin-out, but that's the opposite of normal for my driving style with a car around this class.

It's possible it's just how the car feels, but the "understeering brick on ice" sense I've gotten didn't feel right. I'm using "Simulation" steering with TCS/STM/ABS off, but with automatic shifting on.

Played the demo yesterday and I also was having driving the Porsche, it's like the rear part of the car has a life of its own.

Gave it another shot today and grabbed the Porsche by thr balls, easily. It feels very heavy to drive, something I've never felt in previous Forzas.

Gonna give it another go withe the Sim handling and see what happens, this gon b fun.

Playing on Xbox one.

Cockpit view is sublime, you feel everything, so much visual stimulation, dash cam is great but goddamn the chase cam is bloody awful, the car seems disconnected from the track. Horrible.

Visually great in places (don't like the gimmicky confetti on Dubai) but the wet track reflections are jarring and the aliasing makes most objects look a shimmering mess.

Audio is great in cockpit view, not so good in chase cam.

And the loading is too long for each track. Almost a minute for Dubai?

Had fun with the gtr, Porsche handled like complete shit.

Overall with a controller it felt good.

Top Bottom